Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Gologle posted:

A thought occurred to me. FF7, and a little bit more elaborately Advent Children, suggests that because Sephiroth is essentially Jenova's child, and also because he's a crazy rear end in a top hat, but mostly because of the whole "part eldritch Parasite Eve", he is removed from the Lifestream entirely and literally cannot join it, and can come back to the living world by whatever bullshit. So does that mean Sephiroth will eventually win? Cus Cloud and the rest of the FF7 crew aren't going to be around forever, 500 years later the only one we see left is Nanaki.

I'm sure Bahamut and the Summon Gang can create a convoluted plot making the FF7 crew and their descendants a sort of "Knights of the Round" and slash Sephiroth into oblivion two thousand years in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

It also has what I genuinely feel is the strongest ending in a FF game, not in the least because The Price of Freedom is probably in my top 3 Final Fantasy songs period.

I have essentially zero experience with Crisis Core, but I have played Theatrhythm, and if that's the song I think it is I'd have to agree that it is a fuckin' jam.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In "FFs I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would" news, XI is proving to be quite chill and fun in an oldschool MMO way now that I've hooked a controller up to it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Origin posted:

I'm sure Bahamut and the Summon Gang can create a convoluted plot making the FF7 crew and their descendants a sort of "Knights of the Round" and slash Sephiroth into oblivion two thousand years in the future.

I'm sad, because this is secretly a super good post that nobody else in this thread will get.

Also on FF7, that video shown earlier does a good job of showing that even though the EU and fandom have mangled the original characterization of everybody in the cast to shreds, they actually pretty much consistently nailed Sephiroth being a crazy jerk. That insight into his relationship with Cloud being aloof and godly, chummy and friendly, snide and mocking, all at the same time is a great detail.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

In "FFs I'm enjoying much more than I thought I would" news, XI is proving to be quite chill and fun in an oldschool MMO way now that I've hooked a controller up to it.

Chill is like the absolute last word id ever use to describe FFXI but I last played it a decade ago so ive no idea if it changed.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Cait Sith is a robot but sentient and Reeve controls it with magic or something.

It’s that classic Final Fantasy “this is stupid as gently caress” feeling.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the giant moogle doll is a robot with a radio on it. but cait sith is real

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Barudak posted:

Chill is like the absolute last word id ever use to describe FFXI but I last played it a decade ago so ive no idea if it changed.

Modern FFXI with the trusts and everything has proven to be one of the most relaxing game experiences in recent memory for me. Highly recommend you check it out, the free trial's really non-restrictive.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

Modern FFXI with the trusts and everything has proven to be one of the most relaxing game experiences in recent memory for me. Highly recommend you check it out, the free trial's really non-restrictive.

Im not going back, since a non-abusive version of the game already exists for me, FFXIV and my memories of 11 are of grinding on a beach for an hour then seeing "level down" undoing that hour

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh man if you check it out you're in for a treat my man. It's not at all the same game as it used to be, which was an absolute nightmare. You don't lose experience when you die until 30 and even then you only lose like 5% or something super miniscule which matters very little because you get absurd amounts of XP for doing random poo poo through challenge log equivalents, all monster kill XP is doubled or tripled or whatever (and you get EXP rings that give you shitloads of bonus EXP). You also are basically given a reraise ring, a warp ring that recharges every 10 minutes to your home point, and an exp ring when you start. It takes about an hour to get to level 25 if you know what you're doing.

Other things: there's a whole teleportation system so you don't need to hoof it everywhere, you don't need to spend 2 months raising your chocobo to get a mount they just give you a mount at 20 (or maybe 30 I think). You can get refresh/regen/reraise/haste buffs for an hour at any outpost.

They have this thing called records of eminence and it's basically like the challenge log from FFXIV but way more fleshed out. It'll be like "sit and heal 100 HP" or "kill 10 creatures in Ronfaure" and you get 1500 XP and 1000 special tokens to spend on level-appropriate gear that each cost like 15 tokens so you get a full set for like 200 tokens.

It's a really, really chill experience now and if you liked or enjoyed or even just played FFXI at all back in the day you should take a look at least through the free trial.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Rirse posted:

Man FF2, why do I have to lose Leila, she went from only having 240 HP when I first got her to having 2000 HP. Wish she was the final fourth party member instead of Leon. Her replacement Richard joined at 550 HP...which is not a good trade off.

FF2 is full of great ideas and vibes marred by completely assinine game design decisions

It's my favorite final fantasy that I'll never ever play again

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

My favorite bit about Crisis Core was the fact that it also had backstory for the Buster Sword. That basic bitch starter weapon you drop forever the second you can steal a Hardedge.

"Oh my husband went so into debt getting this sword made he worked himself to death."

Lady a Mythril Saber costs 1,000 gil in Kalm, I think your husband got ripped off.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
Well this is embarrassing but I used to run a huge FFX2 fansite back when it came out, but I never actually played it. I'm finally getting around to it. Any good beginner need to know things? Doing the HD remaster.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pretty soft girl posted:

FF2 is full of great ideas and vibes marred by completely assinine game design decisions

It's my favorite final fantasy that I'll never ever play again

Yeah II has been a lot more enjoyable then the Origin version, but there is some stuff I really wish were iron out in the GBA/PSP version like the dungeons. I get lost in them so much and enemy encounter rate is so high at times. That said outside of babysitting the new fourth slot person and readjusting Maria to have actual good HP growth, I haven't had to do any micro managing with the character growths. I am about to enter the Cyclone, with Firion and Maria around 1600 HP while fricking Guy is at 3200 HP because he takes almost every hit, while Richard been readjusted to 1200 one dungeon.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

AFStealth posted:

Well this is embarrassing but I used to run a huge FFX2 fansite back when it came out, but I never actually played it. I'm finally getting around to it. Any good beginner need to know things? Doing the HD remaster.

just have fun. don't try to get 100%. there are few wrong ways to play

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think they should remake ff5 on the switch with a fancy new 2d art style instead of making these setsuna or octopath games or hideous phone ports

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jokes posted:

It's a really, really chill experience now and if you liked or enjoyed or even just played FFXI at all back in the day you should take a look at least through the free trial.
how big is the free trial and also do they still occasionally run the "we'll dust off your old character for you" campaigns cause my blm75 could use a walkabout

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

i think they should remake ff5 on the switch with a fancy new 2d art style instead of making these setsuna or octopath games or hideous phone ports

I mean, same, but its never happening this decade at minimum.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Super No Vacancy posted:

Fun fact: It sort of almost happened, which is what led to Bravely Default. The same team behind FFIII DS and FFIV DS were going to do a similar version of FFV, but I think wanted a project with a bit more creativity, which led to The Four Warriors of Light--and then Bravely Default, which you'll recognize as having a lot of familiar concepts from FFV in particular because they still had some work from that, and also because there's a lot of respect for 5 in Square-Enix's development.

That development team made Octopath, and at one point before its release they said that it was as much inspired by FFVI as the Bravely series was inspired by V.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Cleretic posted:

That development team made Octopath, and at one point before its release they said that it was as much inspired by FFVI as the Bravely series was inspired by V.

Which makes no sense, because there’s no real similarities between Octopath and FF6 beyond both being jRPGs and having ensemble casts. Octopath is more part SaGa/LoM but with a traditional battle system loosely based on 4WoL/BD.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I... honestly could sort of see it, if you take the structure of the World of Ruin part of FF6? But yeah, for most people versed with JRPGs, the inspiration for the structure is going to remind them more of SaGa (it did to me too).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Merilan posted:

I... honestly could sort of see it, if you take the structure of the World of Ruin part of FF6? But yeah, for most people versed with JRPGs, the inspiration for the structure is going to remind them more of SaGa (it did to me too).

I can see a little more of it when you mix the WoR structure with the branching stories from the World of Balance. I don't really know exactly what roads their brains went down, though.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Mega64 posted:

Which makes no sense, because there’s no real similarities between Octopath and FF6 beyond both being jRPGs and having ensemble casts. Octopath is more part SaGa/LoM but with a traditional battle system loosely based on 4WoL/BD.

I feel like in some interviews and dev stuff, it was mostly the art/music aspects of a clean and polished SNES game that they were aiming for in Octopath. Which is kind of generic and loose as far as comparisons go, but makes a little more sense than the battle system/plot progression stuff.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

The White Dragon posted:

the giant moogle doll is a robot with a radio on it. but cait sith is real

I always thought it was pretty dumb that his “death” when he blows up the temple or whatever was handled with more emotional impact than Aeris getting run through. That was basically “oh well, she’s dead forever. Hope she wasn’t a vital part of your team or anything”

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I always thought it was pretty dumb that his “death” when he blows up the temple or whatever was handled with more emotional impact than Aeris getting run through. That was basically “oh well, she’s dead forever. Hope she wasn’t a vital part of your team or anything”

what

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
That is one of the dumbest takes I've ever read in this thread or the last, and trust me, the last thread was really dumb.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
do none of you remember the CGI cutscene of Cloud making a memorial for Cait Sith at the Temple of the Ancients, shedding a single tear as he walks away?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Cait Sith II might be my absolute favorite single moment in all of FFVII, and it hurts that I don't think we can ever get a moment like that again. Including in the remake, there's no chance they're going to do that justice.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think Cait Sith II was there to fool the player into going "oh it a fakeout party member death like the twins, Yang, or Cid in IV" then Aeris dies and does not come back.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah his anti-climatic return is the point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

how big is the free trial and also do they still occasionally run the "we'll dust off your old character for you" campaigns cause my blm75 could use a walkabout

14 days, you can get any job up to level 50, all things are unlockable that are in the original game (so RNG, DRK, PLD, BRD, SMN, BST). No restrictions on zones, you can have 100k gil max, no AH, uhhh, probably some other poo poo. No restrictions on missions/quests and poo poo I believe.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/crs/ Is the reactivation thing but I didn't use it I just went into it like a new character.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

It’s a dumb moment for a dumb character. Why have him at all? Just make him Reeve or whoever he was full time.

The real serious bummer about Aeris dying is that she’s the only character in that game who isn’t tits, an edge lord, a muppet or a stereotype.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tall Tale Teller posted:

LOL no it wasn't.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Tall Tale Teller posted:

It’s a dumb moment for a dumb character. Why have him at all? Just make him Reeve or whoever he was full time.

The real serious bummer about Aeris dying is that she’s the only character in that game who isn’t tits, an edge lord, a muppet or a stereotype.

Yeah you don’t actually remember anything about VII.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i loved cait sith as a kid, and hell, i love him now.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah you don’t actually remember anything about VII.

I remember that Aeris is the only character who isn’t wack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tall Tale Teller posted:

tits, an edge lord, a muppet or a stereotype.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The only real bummer about Aeris' death was that she was my girlfriend, and strong, and real

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

the best part about Aeris' death is that 9 year old me didn't know about elements but put the water ring on before the fight with jenova anyway and thought that Cloud was invincible for plot reasons because he was SUPER UPSET about aeris' death in that battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Countblanc posted:

i loved cait sith as a kid, and hell, i love him now.

cait sith is cool but his limit breaks suck so i won't use him