Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Raccoons are notoriously safety-minded animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
anybody like the bridgestone battlax s20s? supermoto wheels need new tires and those look cheap.

the diablo rosso IIs are good for like... 2k miles and then quickly go to poo poo so i'm looking for something a little more longer lasting

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Speaking of Royal Enfields (as we were a couple of days ago), this is a really neat project, guy basically designs a brand new v-twin engine out of two bullet heads. Not new or anything (most recent post is celebrating the engine's 10 year anniversary) but the first I've heard of it. I guess he's been making complete bikes for people, with the most recent one being delivered to (of course) Portland. Royal Enfield ought to hire him to make a true production version, in an interview (he was on jay leno's garage) he said it makes about 50 horsepower and is probably a lot smoother than the single cylinder version, which would make it perfect for the highway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
In the same vein, you might find this interesting, a v-twin Velocette built out of two old singles.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Renaissance Robot posted:

In the same vein, you might find this interesting, a v-twin Velocette built out of two old singles.

I do! I love crazy poo poo like this, it blows my mind that with enough know-how casting a completely unique motor is possible [on a budget an average person can afford], makes me want to learn more about the process.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Razzled posted:

anybody like the bridgestone battlax s20s? supermoto wheels need new tires and those look cheap.

the diablo rosso IIs are good for like... 2k miles and then quickly go to poo poo so i'm looking for something a little more longer lasting

I have em on my R3 and I've been impressed with them so far. Granted, only about 200 mi on em, so YMMV

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'd uh, try to disinfect the liner too. Y'know, just in case :brainworms:

Oh yeah, definitely on the TODO list.

Beach Bum posted:

I wonder if a raccoon stole it or something

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Raccoons are notoriously safety-minded animals.

Would be impressed if raccoons were in this garage. My only animal theory was a moto-kitty or moto-puppy requiring my helmet for a nap or safety-related purposes. :3:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cattes are notoriously safety conscious.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Cattes are notoriously safety conscious.

I gave about 2 seconds thought of putting one of my tabby kittens in my helmet for a photo before I considered the prospect of inhaling cat hair for a week.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Coydog posted:

Wanting to put "$1000 in to get a couple more years of riding" is ridiculous when I paid $1000 for a dual sport that is bombproof reliable.
I would not sink $1000 into this repair, I am thinking of the potential maximal total cost of continuing to maintain and operate this machine for 2 seasons.

I'm not going to get a new bike until I can sink 5k+, and 7-9 looks like the sweet spot. I don't want a Grom because of occasional needs to exceed 70mph (note: this is also not a good idea on an Enfield, but it's totally doable. 45-55 is the sweet spot, though, and most of my riding is on 30mph dirt or 50mph 2 lane).

quote:

Or, keep your bike and love it and post more regularly with pictures of it in places it was not designed for (lol anywhere but a shop), so I can live vicariously through you. Maybe start looking at what parts from japanese manufacturers can be installed on your bike as a reliability upgrade?

These bikes were "designed" for Indian roads, which from what I've heard are shittier than anything in my state that's not a Class-IV. Of course, in India, roadside enfield mechanics are a thing. I'm getting better at being that myself, though... Always happy to oblige with pictures, here we are on our way to the shop.

Dealer mechanics were cool, there were enfields as far as the eye could see, and it was all I could do to not drop 6K on the spot.

Slavvy posted:

QFT, Enfield people are the absolute worst and even though the bikes are pieces of poo poo their reputation is blown out of proportion.
I didn't know there were enough Enfields around for "enfield people" to be a thing, but I bought this because it was a cheap first bike, and the first one I looked at and sat on and liked the ergo. I have done all the maintenance I can myself, and this bike has never gone through a full season without also getting checked out by a real mechanic simply because I haven't known enough to feel comfortable saying "yes, this thing is definitely solid after changing things X,Y,Z". So, in my case, there's all kinds of poo poo about my history with this bike that you can justifyably make fun of, starting with me dropping it in an intersection 2 days after I got my license in 2012, but I don't think "negligent on maintenance" is really one of them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So it's an EFI model? 2009 is the first year for that wasn't it? The pre-EFI ones didn't have pumps that I ever saw, they had a basic petcock and carb.

No idea what he's talking about here. If it's an EFI model, it's made in India and nowhere else. The parts are not that hard to get.
2009 was the first EFI year, but I think a couple things changed between 2009 and 2010. As for "parts not being that hard to get" -- it took my local shop in VT two months to find a sprag clutch (I could have gotten one myself from classicmotorworks a lot faster), but the comment about Hitchcock wasn't implying that the parts aren't coming from India, but that because Hitchcock generally keeps a large warehouse and is way less lovely to deal with (apparantl) than Enfield Corporate, the literal dealership in Albany is buying parts secondhand through Hitchcock. I have no idea, this is just what the service manager who does the ordering told me. He also told me that getting some specific stuff for '09s is hard because some things changed in 2010, but I didn't push for details.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Razzled posted:

I have had conti Sport Attack 2s on the KTM for a few years now and they are cheaper than the S20 over here and feel perfect for the bike.

I think I'll be replacing them with Michelin Road 5s when they are done unless I can get the Sport Attack 2s extremely cheaper. The Power RS on the R6 is absolutely great too. Both the RS and the Road 5 are very resistant to high temperatures.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Combat Theory posted:

I have had conti Sport Attack 2s on the KTM for a few years now and they are cheaper than the S20 over here and feel perfect for the bike.

I think I'll be replacing them with Michelin Road 5s when they are done unless I can get the Sport Attack 2s extremely cheaper. The Power RS on the R6 is absolutely great too. Both the RS and the Road 5 are very resistant to high temperatures.

yeah, i went to cyclegear and after shooting the poo poo with the boys i ended up getting the pilot power RS rear and another rosso II front.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Razzled posted:

I use S21s right now, not good on the longevity standpoint. Maybe look at the Metzeler M7RR, they were doing 5000km for me on the 1290 while I'm lucky to hit 3000km on the Bridgestones.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Took out the KTM for a tour today, about 65km total.

First time I bumped the LC4 into the Rev limiter actually (no RPM indicator) and have to say I can see why the previous owner praised the bigger carburetor and the open exhaust he put on. The engine pulls like a monstrosity all the way to the limiter.

5 gears is one too little though.

Also due to not being abled to ride much last year I lost quite some stamina in my throttle hand and it felt painfully fatigued at the last 20 mins.

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
I got my Monkey today and rode about 50 miles. I absolutely love it! Not a rocket by any means, but it does 50 easily. I topped out at 57 going downhill.

I crossed the fog lane on two different left turns. I think that problem will resolve with practice and remembering to always look where I want to go. (This is was my first ride after my MSF class.)

I kept forgetting to turn off my turn signal. How long does it take before it’s second nature to cancel the indicator?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It won’t take long before it’s second nature to constantly hit the turn cancel button over and over even though you haven’t made a turn in 20 minutes.

See also: finding 7th gear

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It won’t take long before it’s second nature to constantly hit the turn cancel button over and over even though you haven’t made a turn in 20 minutes.

See also: finding 7th gear

Cool, ok, then it's not just me.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
*looks down to check indicator lights*

*sees nothing*

*hits the cancel button anyway just in case*

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I picked up my new KTM 790 Duke yesterday from the dealer and between the ride home and riding it today I've put 100 miles on. As soon as I got home yesterday I ordered some bar-end mirrors because the stock ones are goddamn useless, and I'm starting to think a new seat might be near the top of the list of things to buy for it but otherwise it's fantastic. Have a few pictures from the sun today.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Good looking bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting seeing a new KTM without a shouty frame.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I think I want a Zero for commuting. I spend too much time waiting at red lights and something about just sitting there in silence sounds really appealing. Anyone here got an FX or FXS?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Slavvy posted:

Interesting seeing a new KTM without a shouty frame.

I really like how restrained the black version of the 790 is compared to normal KTM brightness. While I love the orange it does scream "KTM" for any bike thieves out there.

I have a possible plan to get the tank and subframe repainted from silver to a mattish black matching the swingarm and then repaint the fairing around the tank to a different colour with some matching highlights around that air intake under the seat and some rimtape, but we'll see what happens.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Kastivich posted:

I think I want a Zero for commuting. I spend too much time waiting at red lights and something about just sitting there in silence sounds really appealing. Anyone here got an FX or FXS?

Ripoff has a FXS. I have an SR but I’m eyeing the SR/F already. FXS looks fun but I need the range of their bigger models, if I had a commute the FXS would be great for it though.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Is there anything special to consider when looking at used models? I've bought a lot of used gas motorcycles, but have never even seen a Zero.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Kastivich posted:

Is there anything special to consider when looking at used models? I've bought a lot of used gas motorcycles, but have never even seen a Zero.
First of all: if it's earlier than 2013, walk away. That's the watershed year where Zero got its poo poo together, and even after that the later you go the better.

Do the usual checks of fork seals, brakes, tires, and so on (those are standard parts). Check that the belt isn't frayed, cut, etc (assuming it doesn't have a chain conversion). With the kickstand up check that there are no codes on the display (or if the kickstand is down, ensure that only code 045 is showing). You'll probably have to play with the two display buttons to get it to show codes (it'll show 000 for no codes). With kickstand up you should have a solid green light. With kickstand down you should have a blinking red light (the blinks should be regular, not blinking morse codes).

The weakest part on these bikes seems to be the 110V charger, so make sure that works. (It's likely that for an FXS it will be the only charger unless they also have the Quiq charger option). The charger is a component mounted on the bike, just plug the cord into a wall and make sure it shows a reasonable time-til-charged and that the % goes up after a few minutes.

Unfortunately Zeros can have electrical gremlins (they are susceptible to water until you jam dielectric in some known-to-be-vulnerable connections) but that's not something you'll see in an inspection, just something you should know going in. Most people never have trouble, and if the trouble is water-related drying out fixes the problem.

The FX/FXS in particular have a quirk where the headlights will lens sunlight onto the plastic below enough to leave suntrack streaks. Every FX/FXS that's been in the sun can have this so don't sweat it.

Everything "exotic" on the bike is solid state and can potentially work forever, with the exception of the battery. The good news is the battery is really pampered in these and I've never heard of anyone having trouble with batteries dying due to use. EDIT: The warranty on all Zero batteries is 5 years, and they still seem fine past that.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 22, 2019

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for the info! That is super helpful. :cheers:

There are only two FXS' for sale anywhere near me. Both are 2016s. One has been upgraded to the larger 7.2 battery from a 2018 model.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ulf posted:

Everything "exotic" on the bike is solid state and can potentially work forever, with the exception of the battery. The good news is the battery is really pampered in these and I've never heard of anyone having trouble with batteries dying due to use. EDIT: The warranty on all Zero batteries is 5 years, and they still seem fine past that.

Solid State stuff, especially power conversion/transfer stuff starts having major reliability issues around ten years, caps and IGBTs MOSFETs like to start blowing up for no reason around then (if they're well made, if they're cheap it'll be much sooner) but by then the battery will be so close to end of life that it'll likely be time to scrap it anyway.

That's an awesome post about Zero bikes in general, I'm glad knowledgeable people are building up experience with these, I'd really like an electric motorcycle some day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hopefully the market will find a way to keep these bikes going forever. Vintage bikes are rad and it would suck if they can’t make it to vintage status

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The motors should be fine, but you'll never keep the original batteries going. I'm sure there'll be one nutcase folding their own lithium stacks in their garage to the original factory spec, but somehow I can't imagine that swapping the original batteries out for whatever becomes available in 20 years will trip most people's Theseus senses, even if it does require a degree of modding to make them fit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I can’t wait for the day when vintage e-bike grey beards insist on using ancient battery technology for the authenticity and “feel”

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I could see it happening for air-cooled vs water-cooled batteries. The current Zeros are all air cooled which saves a lot of weight and complexity (the brake fluid is the *only* fluid on the entire bike), but it means charge time of an hour instead of 5-10 minutes.

As L3 chargers roll out and battery tech improves the next gen will be fluid cooled for that sweet charge time and I’ll be a nostalgic graybeard for how much simpler things used to be as glycol leaks all over my floor.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"Old lithium ion batteries had way better power delivery. These trillium supercapacitors just don't have the same soul."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
No electric bikes have soul.

Electric cars on the other hand... :tesla:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Great news! I made it back from Enfield with a bike that runs, has better tires, and a better suspension for dirt roads.

Of course, it's not the same one I took there, but this thing is a lot of fun to ride, and I'll get back to you about reliability after the 3000 mile service or the first time I have to trailer it again for any reason.

Yes, I looked at a bunch of DRZs and KLRs before slitting my wrists. I'm super happy (for the moment).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well it LOOKS cool. Grats on the new bike. Please keep posting about it.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
How configurable are the zeros when it comes to power? I've been seriously considering a zero and the SR/F has some very nice looking features, especially for wet roads, plus it isn't that much more expensive than an SR with a change tank.

The problem is I would not trust myself with that much torque until I'd spent a while with one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BabelFish posted:

How configurable are the zeros when it comes to power? I've been seriously considering a zero and the SR/F has some very nice looking features, especially for wet roads, plus it isn't that much more expensive than an SR with a change tank.

The problem is I would not trust myself with that much torque until I'd spent a while with one.

Very configurable. I addition to the new traction control, you can also ride in rain mode or a dialled back custom mode.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Great news! I made it back from Enfield with a bike that runs, has better tires, and a better suspension for dirt roads.

Of course, it's not the same one I took there, but this thing is a lot of fun to ride, and I'll get back to you about reliability after the 3000 mile service or the first time I have to trailer it again for any reason.

Yes, I looked at a bunch of DRZs and KLRs before slitting my wrists. I'm super happy (for the moment).

I've had a couple of dealings with these bikes and they are honestly pretty good imo. They tend to rattle cosmetic bolts loose and have little annoying issues, but overall pretty solid machines. I've seen a guy buy one brave new and never do any maintenance whatsoever, it developed a knock around 26,000km and that's good enough for me. They're also awesome to ride at car speeds, good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I created a homemade man-ometer and apparently I am man enough to properly sync my throttle bodies!

So nice and smooth now (the levels were way out of whack before) and no more hesitation and surging at constant low-rpm throttle. I was shocked that it worked.