Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Taear posted:

It makes me feel less like they didn't know what to do with Yar and more that they just didn't know what to do with a head of security when you're in a society that's not meant to have conflict.

Which is odd, because I've thought about it for like 3 seconds and came up with 'Like, a hostage negotiator, but in space'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

I notice that really Worf doesn't do anything in season 2 as "head of security", his only storylines are about being a Klingon.
It makes me feel less like they didn't know what to do with Yar and more that they just didn't know what to do with a head of security when you're in a society that's not meant to have conflict.

Pastamania posted:

Which is odd, because I've thought about it for like 3 seconds and came up with 'Like, a hostage negotiator, but in space'.

you run at the threat of the week and get easily batted aside

Orv
May 4, 2011
Even when Worf starts getting things to do as Head of Security it's basically either just looming at that weeks guest star before it's decided they're not a threat or, again, getting completely chumped and ignored.

Or being borderline treasonous in that one Klingon episode where they do the death yell that never comes up again.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 22, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The death yell came up a few times.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Orv posted:

Even when Worf starts getting things to do as Head of Security it's basically either just looming at that weeks guest star before it's decided they're not a threat or, again, getting completely chumped and ignored.

Or being borderline treasonous in that one Klingon episode where they do the death yell that never comes up again.

Worf does the death yell when he kills Gowron and I think when his baby-mama dies.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh yeah that's right, woops.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pastamania posted:

YOU WILL RELEASE THE HOSTAGE NOW AND/OR DIE.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Tasha and her team really come off looking like a bunch of campus security in that one.

"Gotcha, Klingons! Now... uh..."

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yet another fine example of Star Trek security automation being completely useless. You're telling me you can't detect that some part of that dumb boot gun they smuggled in has like a, I'unno, disruptorfication chamber in it? Surely you can scan for that.

fake edit: Oh oh, it's the Glock 7 of disruptors.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Cat Hatter posted:

Worf does the death yell when he kills Gowron and I think when his baby-mama dies.

And when Jadzia dies.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Orv posted:

Yep. It's a good job they made him an alien so he could fill the "weird alien niche" that Spock had before.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taear posted:

Yep. It's a good job they made him an alien so he could fill the "weird alien niche" that Spock had before.

It's kind of a funny thing to realise given they basically split Spock's role into the 'weird alien' niche for Worf and the 'inhuman stoic' for Data. Especially since Galaxy Quest combines them back into Alan Rickman's character, who has both the 'stoic scholar' and 'proud warrior' cultural heritage.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

One neat thing the Klingon Academy game did (among many) was have a section of fluff in the manual under the boarding parties mechanic about how standard automated measures to resist ship-to-ship invasion included forcefields, gas vents, variable-gravity plating and weapon turrets at strategic chokepoints. Actual security teams only got involved against anyone who survived those various measures and approached critical areas of the ship.

Whether the intruders survived them unconscious or dead depended on the mercies of that ship's fleet service, since all of those measures had lethal and non-lethal settings.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And we literally saw that kind of thing in action in Civil Defense with the station's automated defenses. And even before that in TAS where the Enterprise bridge has a phaser showerhead thingy. (which often only gets used against the crew when the ship is taken over by the incorporeal alien intelligence of the week)

Of course, it could get tedious to depict all that depending on how the episode goes. And also tricky to design given transporters mean that if a ship's being boarded you have no idea where boarders could come from and what routes they would take.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Taear posted:

I notice that really Worf doesn't do anything in season 2 as "head of security", his only storylines are about being a Klingon.

It's also kinda dumb that head of security and tactical officer were the same person, but gotta limit that cast.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Worf might have got beaten up constantly but at least he was always right when he said they should be more cautious about this weeks weird space thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Troi murmurs about how the alien savagely beating Worf into his fifth coma of the year has troubling emotions. Worf has his left arm torn from the socket and he finally stops screaming as darkness floods his skull.

Picard harumphs and tugs on his tunic. "The diversity of cultures and our acceptance of such is one of the strengths of our Federation values. Perhaps you all should reconsider your prejudices."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Picard harumphs and tugs on his tunic. "The diversity of cultures and our acceptance of such is one of the strengths of our Federation values. Perhaps you all should reconsider your prejudices."

While in the background, Section 31 nukes their homeworld. Our bad, but I suppose all's well that ends well. For us.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

While in the background, Section 31 nukes their homeworld. Our bad, but I suppose all's well that ends well. For us.

Hard decisions had to be made as per exact yield to use

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And we literally saw that kind of thing in action in Civil Defense with the station's automated defenses. And even before that in TAS where the Enterprise bridge has a phaser showerhead thingy. (which often only gets used against the crew when the ship is taken over by the incorporeal alien intelligence of the week)

Of course, it could get tedious to depict all that depending on how the episode goes. And also tricky to design given transporters mean that if a ship's being boarded you have no idea where boarders could come from and what routes they would take.

Transporters are easy enough to jam that you should be able to protect at least certain areas from direct beaming.

I think a big part of it is budgeting. Someone once mentioned that it would be cool if away teams had a local-area forcefield they could bring with them in case a firefight broke out (and I want to say there's a mention of that in the TNG tech manual too). Which, yeah it would, except with every phaser blast costing $2,000 a shot (out of an average discretionary budget of something like $125K, I think?) I think we all know how it winds up going: it gets used maybe once, and then the writers have to spend time in every future episode to come up with a technobabble excuse for why the away team forcefield isn't working, and in this alternate universe where the away team forcefields were a thing, we're all bitching in this thread about how the forcefield was so useless it should have just been left off the show completely.

Similarly with boarding actions, especially in an episode that's probably already heavy on alien makeup and costuming and guest actors, the money's just not there to do it justice, so if we're lucky we get a couple of running firefights in the corridors; and if we're not, we get Rascals. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it makes no sense to have boarding actions in the Star Trek universe that don't basically involve the boarders having armoured, self-contained environment suits. We've seen many times that Starfleet ships can very easily just drug you, vent the area, boil the area, control the gravity, irradiate you, wrap you in forcefields, beam you out, beam bombs into your face, replicate turrets... and god forbid you enter an area with holoemitters, because then the very air becomes knives. An enemy ship should be the most hostile environment in the universe.

The fact that it just ends up as a few people pew pewing is just one of those television artifacts.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 22, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TAS didn't want to reanimate characters in space suits, so it just put an electric effect around them and said it was made of forcefield, and i appreciate that level of transparent handwaving.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it makes no sense to have boarding actions in the Star Trek universe that don't basically involve the boarders having armoured, self-contained environment suits. We've seen many times that Starfleet ships can very easily just can drug you, vent the area, boil the area, control the gravity, irradiate you, wrap you in forcefields, beam you out, beam bombs into your face, replicate turrets... and god forbid you enter an area with holoemitters, because then the very air becomes knives. An enemy ship should be the most hostile environment in the universe.

The fact that it just ends up as a few people pew pewing is just one of those television artifacts.

I always thought that scene where the Klingons were invading deep space nine was completely retarded because you had about three seconds of your dumb rear end beaming in(with MELEE WEAPONS) in the middle of operations in waves of 4(and they all instantly die) I wondered exactly why the gently caress the Klingons had a dominion-sized empire.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I always thought that scene where the Klingons were invading deep space nine was completely retarded because you had about three seconds of your dumb rear end beaming in(with MELEE WEAPONS) in the middle of operations in waves of 4(and they all instantly die) I wondered exactly why the gently caress the Klingons had a dominion-sized empire.

To be fair, DS9 well established that modern klingons are stagnant idiots trapped in a corrupted culture who are happy to throw away real tactical advantages for the sake of the being able to claim something as honorable, and that their glory days are well past.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"We have disruptors, Captain. In fact, the name of our species is synonymous with disruptors in this setting. Maybe we should ditch the swords?"

*Captain daggers the poo poo out of him*

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They should have gone full LOGH. whenever you get boarded, fill the corridors with gas that makes you explode. Now everyone has to fight in sealed armor with battle axes.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Brawnfire posted:

"We have disruptors, Captain. In fact, the name of our species is synonymous with disruptors in this setting. Maybe we should ditch the swords?"

*Captain daggers the poo poo out of him*

That scene in Voyager where Tuvok says the Batleth is a brilliant, amazing weapon that's perfectly balanced for combat gave me massive Mall Ninja vibes.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, DS9 well established that modern klingons are stagnant idiots trapped in a corrupted culture who are happy to throw away real tactical advantages for the sake of the being able to claim something as honorable, and that their glory days are well past.

Hopefully if we ever get a series that's post-voyager we could explore the Klinks changing their society.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well that's where discovery might take place next year right?

Lol what if Ash Tyler finds the Sword of Kahless. Is he even alive and still on the ship DO NOT TELL ME I have no idea.

Not like that show would ever reference DS9

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

That scene in Voyager where Tuvok says the Batleth is a brilliant, amazing weapon that's perfectly balanced for combat gave me massive Mall Ninja vibes.

While you were meditating, I studied the bat'leth.

While you were using logic, I studied the bat'leth.

While you were eating plomeek broth, I studied the bat'leth.

While you were playing kal-toh, I studied the bat'leth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Technically the Bat'leth is a polearm, the lamest of weapons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In the new Star War Kylo Ren pulls out a new lightsaber and is a batleth

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

In the new Star War Kylo Ren pulls out a new lightsaber and is a batleth

You can get those in Star Trek Online.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Basically the only real reason the Federation held onto DS9 during the Klingon invasion was that the boarding parties stupidly used swords for like 2/3rds of beam-ons.

So weird.

If shields are down in a universe with loving teleporters I'd think you'd be more worried about beam OUTs than ins. Like seriously, just beam the command crew in Ops into space into your brig. Or, you know, the whole beam a bomb thing Star Trek never talks about.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

If shields are down in a universe with loving teleporters I'd think you'd be more worried about beam OUTs than ins. Like seriously, just beam the command crew in Ops into space into your brig. Or, you know, the whole beam a bomb thing Star Trek never talks about.

They really should've just established that transporter jammers were a distinct thing that kept running in combat independent of shields. Boarding pods are cool anyway.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

They really should've just established that transporter jammers were a distinct thing that kept running in combat independent of shields. Boarding pods are cool anyway.

Very yes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Season 3: Discovery arrives just as the Metrons, having taken Captain Kirk's "perhaps in a thousand years" statement too literally, all pop out wearing knockoffs of Q's judge hat, find us still unworthy, and begin the slaughter.
Season 4: In the midst of the carnage, the Kelvan invasion fleet arrives from the Andromeda Galaxy and starts reducing Metrons to styrofoam dodecahedrons.
Season 5: The Borg, the Founders, the Edo for some reason, and somehow Khan all form an alliance, decide to intervene, arm themselves with planet killers, and you know what this is all getting too silly.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

Season 3: Discovery arrives just as the Metrons, having taken Captain Kirk's "perhaps in a thousand years" statement too literally, all pop out wearing knockoffs of Q's judge hat, find us still unworthy, and begin the slaughter.
Season 4: In the midst of the carnage, the Kelvan invasion fleet arrives from the Andromeda Galaxy and starts reducing Metrons to styrofoam dodecahedrons.
Season 5: The Borg, the Founders, the Edo for some reason, and somehow Khan all form an alliance, decide to intervene, arm themselves with planet killers, and you know what this is all getting too silly.

This is like the Simpsons thread where they post increasingly demented synopses of bad modern episodes that don't exist only to be upstaged by actual recently aired bad modern episodes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Powered Descent posted:

These plots don't quite make the galaxy seem tiny enough though. Everyone must be related and all events in the history of the galaxy need to keep focusing back to a tiny handful of characters and their blood relatives. Like it needs to turn out that a time-traveling Khan actually some how created the founders, or instilled their hatred of solids The Edo are actually just humans from the far future that became obsessively focused on the prime directive of protecting pre-warp cultures, and lawns. And of course the Borg have to also have been some how created or influenced by humans, preferably a relative of a well known character.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Every new character has the last name Riker

e: and is also played by Jonathan Frakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I decided to continue my years long ordeal of getting through Voyager, using a list someone ITT made of good episodes. I strayed off the list for an episode where Janeway talks about her boring ancestor being boring. Some other stuff might have happened but I was comatose.

Voyager and TAS are the only Star Trek shows I haven't seen all of, I was looking for new to me episodes. Clearly I made the wrong choice. I have corrected this mistake and am now watching episode 1 of TAS.