Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be #1 Pick?
DE Nick Bosa
DT Quinnen Williams
White Quarterback
Kicker...yeah...definitely the Kicker
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

While the Haskins comments are a bit racially insensitive, they're also not wrong

Haskins is slooooooooooow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Being compared to Steve McNair is a huge compliment even if the comparison was based on his race.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
The Steve McNair thing is pretty wild because the guy was for a big part of his career one of the premiere rushing QBs in the league.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Catfish Noodlin posted:

The Steve McNair thing is pretty wild because the guy was for a big part of his career one of the premiere rushing QBs in the league.

Whyd they call him air McNair then hm? Explain that

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Big Jesus posted:

Whyd they call him air McNair then hm? Explain that

It rhymes

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

To be fair, Mcnairs ground game is better now than its ever been.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Hizawk posted:

To be fair, Mcnairs ground game is better now than its ever been.

Low man wins

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/fboutsiders/status/1120348059479703553

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Hasn't SackSeer been completely wrong about their predictions since they started doing it?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It's pretty bad as a predictive metric, yes.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Here's another old scouting gem:

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/1120164550786125825

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Had a dream about the draft last night. Highlights:
1) Kyler Murray wasn't taken in the top 13 picks
2) Quinnen Williams fell real far and I thought the Falcons would get him and was super excited but then the dolphins picked him at 13 and I got so mad I woke up without seeing who the Falcons picked

E: thinking about it some more this was some kind of Laremy Tunsil poo poo that caused it

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 22, 2019

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
This years Maurice Hurst

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1120336370520641536

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Docjowles posted:

Is it funnier if the Giants draft no QB at all, or reach for a lovely QB :thunk:

Reach for a lovely QB, obviously. Not taking a QB in favor of rebuilding your roster with cheap starters from the first round is a legitimate strategy. Taking Daniel Jones sixth overall is not.

Eli is not a great quarterback and never has been but neither has he declined overmuch. He'll keep chugging along at a similar skill level he showed last season and the season before, which is fully acceptable for a rebuilding year. He may even outperform last season if he gets better protection from the get-go.

fsif posted:

What would qualify as a not-funny Giants draft? Haskins at 17?

Yeah. Say Ed Oliver at 6, Haskins at 17 would be pretty legit. Or Haskins at 6 and Gary / Lawrence / Simmons at 17.

To me if they're not in love with Haskins or Lock they should just stick with Eli. Anything but Daniel Jones at number six

I feel like when you take a step back from the hype and the assumption that Bosa will be the first or second player taken, you can see plenty of legitimate arguments in favor of other players being better choices than him.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Raider special

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blitz7x posted:

Raider special

You can't be a raider if you aren't prepared to die in battle

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

Eli is not a great quarterback and never has been but neither has he declined overmuch. He'll keep chugging along at a similar skill level he showed last season and the season before, which is fully acceptable for a rebuilding year. He may even outperform last season if he gets better protection from the get-go.

Eli was a great QB for many years and now he's a really good WCO QB. People pay too much attention to stats instead of ability.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

It's not news that he has a heart condition and only teams have the info on how severe it is

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023042/article/combine-tests-reveal-montez-sweat-has-heart-condition

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

Eli was a great QB for many years and now he's a really good WCO QB. People pay too much attention to stats instead of ability.

In raw ability he was always less skilled than his brother, or than Ben and Phil from his draft class. Those are great quarterbacks, true, but as time has gone on I feel he compares less and less favorably to the rest of the field. His throwing motion is absolute trash and makes my neck hurt just watching it. His accuracy has always been a little fucky due to that throwing motion, but he still puts it in a decent spot more often than not. He does have some good qualities; he maneuvers the pocket well, his windup is nice and quick and he reads defenses well. Basically he's always been a bit of an "almost" QB.

That being said, he was solid back then and he's still solid. The Giants defense definitely was a huge factor in him earning two rings, but the fact remains that he's a veteran QB that's seen a lot and usually makes the right throw. Without a smidgeon of doubt I'd rather have him play the next one or two years than draft a guy like Daniel Jones in the first round. But also without a doubt I feel drafting Darnold last year was the way to go

The main thing I don't agree with is that he's declined in some dramatic way. I don't see that at all, he's still doing exactly what he's always done. In fact even according to the stats he actually had one of his best years last season

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

In raw ability he was always less skilled than his brother, or than Ben and Phil from his draft class. Those are great quarterbacks, true, but as time has gone on I feel he compares less and less favorably to the rest of the field. His throwing motion is absolute trash and makes my neck hurt just watching it. His accuracy has always been a little fucky due to that throwing motion, but he still puts it in a decent spot more often than not. He does have some good qualities; he maneuvers the pocket well, his windup is nice and quick and he reads defenses well. Basically he's always been a bit of an "almost" QB.

That being said, he was solid back then and he's still solid. The Giants defense definitely was a huge factor in him earning two rings, but the fact remains that he's a veteran QB that's seen a lot and usually makes the right throw. Without a smidgeon of doubt I'd rather have him play the next one or two years than draft a guy like Daniel Jones in the first round. But also without a doubt I feel drafting Darnold last year was the way to go

The main thing I don't agree with is that he's declined in some dramatic way. I don't see that at all, he's still doing exactly what he's always done. In fact even according to the stats he actually had one of his best years last season

It always amazes me how much love Rivers gets even though his throwing motion is trash and he's been mediocre to bad in the playoffs. People will point at his regular season stats then compare them to Eli but then ignore how Eli's done better in the playoffs. It's a stupid narrative and Rivers is arguably the worst of the three by a country mile.

Giants defense was about as good or worse as the Steelers when Ben was winning. Eli also won with a ton of rookies on his team and a lack of options that people would identify as super bowl talent. Ben is underrated though, I think.

Eli's throwing motion has changed since his shoulder injuries but for the majority of his career he was as textbook as you could find for a QB throwing motion. His accuracy issues were entirely due to the weird rear end routes Gilbride installed and his own boneheaded idiocy.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Mccloughan was the one who brought up Haskins being Byron Leftwich and he’s pretty well respected minus the unchecked alcoholism.

How can he be worse than Allen but better than Lamar when Lamar is miles better than Allen?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doltos posted:

It's a stupid narrative and Rivers is arguably the worst of the three by a country mile.

Is there more to that argument than postseason wins? I thought it was pretty well accepted Eli was the worst of the three in pretty much every respect, save for his Superbowl wins.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ches Neckbeard posted:

It's not news that he has a heart condition and only teams have the info on how severe it is

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001023042/article/combine-tests-reveal-montez-sweat-has-heart-condition

Oh yeah I know, but I was under the impression that it wasn't as bad as Hurst's and that teams were relatively unconcerned until I saw this report, literally the week of the draft. It's a great way to drop his draft stock.

But I guess he's not even attending the draft so who knows.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1119631759010881537?s=20

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

sourdough posted:

Is there more to that argument than postseason wins? I thought it was pretty well accepted Eli was the worst of the three in pretty much every respect, save for his Superbowl wins.

Daltos really hates Philip Rivers and always has

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sourdough posted:

Doltos is a bit of a Giants stan so it's not that surprising he thinks that. To me Rivers is definitely better but there's room for debate there. I'll spare you that particular debate as it would be coming about 15 years too late

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Have any of the heart issue guys not panned out?

Gaines Adams? Damien Nash? I can't think of any others.

Take Sweat at 29, Chiefs.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

kiimo posted:

Star Lotululei, depending on how you feel about him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

MrLogan posted:

How can he be worse than Allen but better than Lamar when Lamar is miles better than Allen?
I guess we’ll find out when either of them start throwing the football.

kiimo posted:

Was Demontre Moore a heart issue guy? I remember his plummet from 1st rounder to the 3rd and then he busted hard.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Another former LCU guy may end up in the league which is cool and good

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1120151812630298625

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Almost like he's reading the thread Samuel Gold did a breakdown of Daniel Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxManwfnCPs

TLDR: Poor mans Eli Manning

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Star Lotululei, depending on how you feel about him.

The only thing I feel about him is every time I see his name I think of these and get hungry.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

weird Asian candy posted:

Another former LCU guy may end up in the league which is cool and good

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1120151812630298625

that's a very blessed squat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

that's a very blessed squat.

CYKA BLYAT

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

just kill me

Tony Pauline posted:

Will Grier/QB/West Virginia: In all honesty, I’m late to the party on Grier despite listing him as a Riser in week five. I was informed that he was rising up draft boards weeks ago and struggled to believe it, but as they say, where there’s smoke, there’s fire. So where could Grier land? As early as the late part of Round 1 and no later than the middle portion of the second frame. Who could draft the Mountaineers quarterback? The New England Patriots have shown a ton of interest in Grier and could draft him as the first round closes out. The New York Giants also like Grier, and he could be their fallback plan if they don’t take a signal caller in Round 1. The Carolina Panthers also have an infatuation with Grier and will consider him in the second round. As we mentioned last week during The Draft Analysts podcast, Carolina is looking to add a quarterback during the second day of the draft.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
It would be cool if the same guy was like "Now THIS guy, he was raised by 2 dads, he's got All-Pro written all over him"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Jesus

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It would be cool if the same guy was like "Now THIS guy, he was raised by 2 dads, he's got All-Pro written all over him"

"Raised by two dads, obviously lacks the masculinity needed for a successful pro career. Committment to the NFL is doubtful as he is assumedly tormented by his need for other men's butts. Likely locker room problem."

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

sourdough posted:

It's generally accepted by most dinguses that move the goal posts and have qualifiers that basically always boil down to TD:INT ratio.

Play posted:

Doltos is a bit of a Giants stan so it's not that surprising he thinks that. To me Rivers is definitely better but there's room for debate there. I'll spare you that particular debate as it would be coming about 15 years too late

I'm far from a Giants homer in every regard to the word. It's just a frustrating argument that appears constantly. I have no idea how anyone can think that a man who throws practically side arm, open chested, with a ton of pressure on his shoulder instead of his legs can be considered the best of the three. Or a guy who's never sniffed the super bowl even with HoF talent around him. People just naturally still hate Eli due to his last name and the draft debacle and it's lead to just head scratching, groan inducing statements.

Eli is better than Rivers and always has been. It has nothing to do with me being a Giants fan and I'm willing to put many people ahead of Eli, just not a guy who's entire argument is based off of regular season statistics that don't mean jack poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Doltos posted:

I have no idea how anyone can think that a man who throws practically side arm, open chested, with a ton of pressure on his shoulder instead of his legs can be considered the best of the three.

Rivers looks ugly as hell throwing but the ball usually lands right in the receivers hands