Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was looking for a specific recent 'stranger living in attic' story, where they used a selfie stick to take a picture of the attic because the tenant thought she had raccoons up there and it came back with this creepy photo of a guy.

But googling 'man living in attic' comes back with a disturbing amount of results. Thanks thread, I now have a new unreasonable fear.

Seems like a pretty reasonable fear at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Motronic posted:

Dating a high school kid when you are a legal adult and out of high school? Yeah. It's not even just the age difference: it's being in entirely different places in life. And NOT being the 20 year old dude going to a high school senior prom next year.

I graduated, moved out, and had my own apartment at 17. Would it be ok then? Asking for a friend.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Iron Crowned posted:

Seems like a pretty reasonable fear at this point.

I haven't lived in a place with an attic in many, many years.

Though one time raccoons got into the roof of my building and were busting into apartments through the HVAC system. I guess it's kinda similar.

I said unreasonable, because it's generally unlikely to happen, much like my other fear: snake coming up through your toilet pipe.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I graduated, moved out, and had my own apartment at 17. Would it be ok then? Asking for a friend.

My sister was bumped up a few grades, so she started college when she was 16.

When I was little and the school wanted to bump me up a few grades, my folks refused because my sister had so many social and emotional issues after she was bumped. So I got to be bored in class instead of doing interesting things.

19 & 17 is perfectly reasonable for dating.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Why would you buy/rent a house without looking at all of it first? He lived there over a month without tossing any crap in there? This feels like internet b.s.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

So once like a decade ago my apartment was on the top floor. I got curious and opened the hatch into the attic, and found that the wall between my attic and the next apartment's had a human-sized hole ripped into it.

Also it took me months to explore the two attics in a house I bought. Totally conceivable that someone doesn't use it to store stuff, especially if there's plenty of space elsewhere.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

FoolyCharged posted:

Why would you buy/rent a house without looking at all of it first? He lived there over a month without tossing any crap in there? This feels like internet b.s.

I've never been in, or opened, our attic. Seems like work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Would you have felt weird dating someone in high school while living on your own? Asking for a friend.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol. Y'all are so dang weird. 17 and 19 year olds date all the time and it's not creepy or strange. 🤣🤣

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol. Y'all are so dang weird. 17 and 19 year olds date all the time and it's not creepy or strange. 🤣🤣

The age difference isn't the problem I was trying to bring up here, but everyone has stopped listening so whatever.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Motronic posted:

Would you have felt weird dating someone in high school while living on your own? Asking for a friend.

Considering I was, since I didn't break up with my girlfriend (who was a year behind me, but older than me) when I graduated, I'd say it wasn't a big deal.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's one person saying it is weird.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for doing a chargeback on the girl scouts?

I bought a box of girl scout cookies from a table located outside Save Mart (a supermarket chain in California) a couple of months ago. I used a Chase credit card to pay through the Square reader.

I bought one box, which was supposed to be $5, but I got charged $15. I couldn't determine how to request a refund because there is no local Girl Scout council in my town, so they were probably from somewhere else. I also asked the Save Mart manager, and he has no idea. So finally, I had to call Chase and do a chargeback for $10.

My wife and daughter (who were both involved in girl scouts when they were younger) are completely outraged with me. They say that the girl that did it is going to get into trouble, and the council is going to get charged a penalty by their bank. They insist that I should have just let it go as a donation, because it is my fault for not verifying the amount on the screen before signing it.

So, Reddit, AITA?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Drug dealer (23M) wants to date me (22F)?

There is a guy I’m seeing right now and he made it clear he wants me to be his girlfriend. He expressed he admires everything about me and wants to be serious with me. I’m 22 and he’s 23, so we’re close in age but live very different lifestyles. I’m in nursing school, about to graduate next year, super shy, awkward and nerdy. He, on the other hand, is more outgoing, does landscaping, makes music, and sells weed as a main source of income. He’s not in school but would like to go sometime once he situates himself financially and make the time to do it. He’s had a hard childhood and been through a lot. He grew up in a poor neighborhood and has been selling drugs since he was a kid. However, he had to do that and drop out of school to support his mom and his brothers.

I do find him attractive and sincere, but I feel a little uneasy. I want to move forward with this guy, but it feels as if I moved below my standards. I’m a nonjudgmental person and the type of man I want to date doesn’t necessarily have to be in college. I at least want him to be educated as far as getting a diploma from high school and make an honest living to support himself, but in his case he doesn’t have both. I want to be able to bring him around my family and meet his as well. The thing about his lifestyle is that he’d rather not be seen out too much because of what he does, and legally, things can go really wrong if I happen to be around with him.

He told me upfront that he’s been selling drugs since he was young, so he’s used to dealing and the risks that come with it, but I am often concerned about his safety and whereabouts. Aside from this, he seems like a decent person and wanted to know if it’s worth giving a shot? By the way, I do not smoke at all and he respects that. I also have no interest in the money he makes as I’d rather use my own.

TL;DR: Drug dealer wants to date me, is it worth giving him a chance?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

CAPITALISM HELL YEAH

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Smirking_Serpent posted:

They say that the girl that did it is going to get into trouble, and the council is going to get charged a penalty by their bank. They insist that I should have just let it go as a donation, because it is my fault for not verifying the amount on the screen before signing it.

I had 2 related situations recently:

I left a $20 gift certificate for my barber in a stack of clothes I was donating. I forgot to remove it before dropping the clothes in the bin for at church (collecting for a local high school kid) and had a severe Larry David moment the next day considering whether or not to go retrieve it. I ultimately decided that kid's just getting a free haircut.

My daughter sold Girl Scout cookies this year and one rear end in a top hat actually bounced a ($15) check and it was in fact a big drat hassle for my wife.

This guy sucks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Motronic posted:

The age difference isn't the problem I was trying to bring up here, but everyone has stopped listening so whatever.

"Hmm, yes Timmy congratulations on your high school diploma, unfortunately you now have to break up with Susie because she will be entering senior year in September. You're just too different to how you were 45 seconds ago, before I gave you that piece of paper and this awkwardly long handshake."

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

"Hmm, yes Timmy congratulations on your high school diploma, unfortunately you now have to break up with Susie because she will be entering senior year in September. You're just too different to how you were 45 seconds ago, before I gave you that piece of paper and this awkwardly long handshake."

I'm reasonably sure Motronic was trying to say "You are wrong, he isn't the 17 year old, she is." Because the person he was replying to got it wrong.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for calling my cousin an "entitled millennial princess" at Easter dinner?

Last night I may have caused a scene and honestly, I want to know if I was in the wrong.

​So for Easter, my grandparents always host a large dinner for all the family that can come. Last night though, not many people showed up. All but my parents and my uncle said they would not be coming for one reason or another (most had pretty good excuses to be fair to them.). Because of the possible low turn out my parents asked me to come and I agreed.

​Like we expected, very few showed up. Only me and my parents along with my uncle and his two kids. Enter Jay. Jay is my cousin. She's 19 and she is just finishing up her first year at university. I had been close to jay but according to her brother, she has become super "pc" since entering into academia. I understand this. I'm half way through my masters program right now and along with being gay, I have seen how sensitive some people can be.

​The night started normal as my grandmother finished dinner up. Me, my dad, and my grandpa decided to have some drinks before and talk. One of the jokes my grandfather always would make is that I will make a good housewife one day to a fine business man (He's not homophobic. He's one of the most caring men I know. This joke comes from the fact I made it when I came out and he won't let me live it down). My cousin heard this and came into the room to tell my grandfather that was "insanely inappropriate and homophobic." and that he "should be ashamed he would treat his grandson like that". Things got really awkward after that and we just drank in silence till dinner.

​When dinner finally came and we sat down. My grandmother wanted to say grace but my cousin asked if we could to a "non-denominational prayer" instead. I scoffed at this and told her to "lighten up" because she was acting like an "entitled millennial princess". She got mad at me and tried to tell me about how I'm being "inappropriate" but I shut her down and told her to "gently caress off with that PC bullshit". She ended up leaving the table and sitting in the living room while we ate. Her parents left with her pretty quickly after. Before they did though, she sent me a text saying that I had "internalized homophobia" and I needed to "educate myself". I showed my uncle this and he only apologized before leaving.

​I don't really feel bad and my dad says I did the right thing, but my mom thinks I over reacted a bit. My grandfather said what she said didn't bother him and I shouldn't felt like I needed to stand up for him while my grandmother sent me a thank you this morning. I don't know though. Was I an rear end in a top hat?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not rescheduling a nighttime party because my sister is afraid of assaults at night?

So I got engaged three weeks ago and my fiancé and I are throwing a celebratory rooftop party in our city. We booked this really nice space that overlooks the skyline and plan to host from sunset to midnight. I’ve already bought string lanterns and candles for atmosphere and the theme is basically food, alcohol, and gorgeous night view of our city.

My sister (who’s going to be a bridesmaid) found out and asked me if we could reschedule the party for noonish. I asked her why and she said it’s because she doesn’t feel safe going into that part of the city at night, because that’s statistically where the most assaults on women happen.

I told her I can call one of my fiancé’s best friends who lived near her to pick her up and drive her over so she can go with him and his wife, and then I’ll personally drive her home after. But she said no, because she just doesn’t want to be in the city fullstop at night. She says dark alleys and alcohol and strange men make her anxious and there will be some combination of that at my party. I basically shrugged to this and said, fine, you can not come if you want but there’s 56 people coming already. I can’t change plans just for you.

Well I thought that was that but she told my mom and my aunts and now everyone is calling me an rear end in a top hat and bridezilla for not accommodating my sister’s fears. They think I’m being selfish for not moving the party up by a few hours so my sister can go. I think everyone is overreacting but not sure what I should’ve done better.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Last night I may have caused a scene and honestly, I want to know if I was in the wrong.

​So for Easter, my grandparents always host a large dinner for all the family that can come. Last night though, not many people showed up. All but my parents and my uncle said they would not be coming for one reason or another (most had pretty good excuses to be fair to them.). Because of the possible low turn out my parents asked me to come and I agreed.

​Like we expected, very few showed up. Only me and my parents along with my uncle and his two kids. Enter Jay. Jay is my cousin. She's 19 and she is just finishing up her first year at university. I had been close to jay but according to her brother, she has become super "pc" since entering into academia. I understand this. I'm half way through my masters program right now and along with being gay, I have seen how sensitive some people can be.

​The night started normal as my grandmother finished dinner up. Me, my dad, and my grandpa decided to have some drinks before and talk. One of the jokes my grandfather always would make is that I will make a good housewife one day to a fine business man (He's not homophobic. He's one of the most caring men I know. This joke comes from the fact I made it when I came out and he won't let me live it down). My cousin heard this and came into the room to tell my grandfather that was "insanely inappropriate and homophobic." and that he "should be ashamed he would treat his grandson like that". Things got really awkward after that and we just drank in silence till dinner.

​When dinner finally came and we sat down. My grandmother wanted to say grace but my cousin asked if we could to a "non-denominational prayer" instead. I scoffed at this and told her to "lighten up" because she was acting like an "entitled millennial princess". She got mad at me and tried to tell me about how I'm being "inappropriate" but I shut her down and told her to "gently caress off with that PC bullshit". She ended up leaving the table and sitting in the living room while we ate. Her parents left with her pretty quickly after. Before they did though, she sent me a text saying that I had "internalized homophobia" and I needed to "educate myself". I showed my uncle this and he only apologized before leaving.

​I don't really feel bad and my dad says I did the right thing, but my mom thinks I over reacted a bit. My grandfather said what she said didn't bother him and I shouldn't felt like I needed to stand up for him while my grandmother sent me a thank you this morning. I don't know though. Was I an rear end in a top hat?

Absolutely typed one-handed.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm fairly certain that anyone in college now is not a millennial, but they don't have a name yet.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
What can a nineteen-year-old investment banker with a mortgage and three kids possibly have in common with a seventeen-year-old who might have as much as an entire year of high school left? They’re in completely different places. It’s gross.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Wait until their poor sister finds out there are :airquote:assualts:airquote: walking around outside the city during the daytime too

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

So what is with all these families all defending the single whiny person for not getting their way during someone else's wedding? I don't get it. Sister needs therapy if she's afraid of being abducted or whatever under those circumstances.

What a whiny-rear end wet blanket.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not rescheduling a nighttime party because my sister is afraid of assaults at night?

So I got engaged three weeks ago and my fiancé and I are throwing a celebratory rooftop party in our city. We booked this really nice space that overlooks the skyline and plan to host from sunset to midnight. I’ve already bought string lanterns and candles for atmosphere and the theme is basically food, alcohol, and gorgeous night view of our city.

My sister (who’s going to be a bridesmaid) found out and asked me if we could reschedule the party for noonish. I asked her why and she said it’s because she doesn’t feel safe going into that part of the city at night, because that’s statistically where the most assaults on women happen.

I told her I can call one of my fiancé’s best friends who lived near her to pick her up and drive her over so she can go with him and his wife, and then I’ll personally drive her home after. But she said no, because she just doesn’t want to be in the city fullstop at night. She says dark alleys and alcohol and strange men make her anxious and there will be some combination of that at my party. I basically shrugged to this and said, fine, you can not come if you want but there’s 56 people coming already. I can’t change plans just for you.

Well I thought that was that but she told my mom and my aunts and now everyone is calling me an rear end in a top hat and bridezilla for not accommodating my sister’s fears. They think I’m being selfish for not moving the party up by a few hours so my sister can go. I think everyone is overreacting but not sure what I should’ve done better.

the theme of the party is "party"

DragQueenofAngmar fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 22, 2019

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

am I the only one who noticed that this guy wasn't invited until they knew there would be a low turnout? wonder why that is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Midnight Voyager posted:

am I the only one who noticed that this guy wasn't invited until they knew there would be a low turnout? wonder why that is.

definitely not the fact that his idea of, "Dude, relax" includes calling the other person a stupid youngster.

That said, I'd still invite him over his cousin.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Scathach posted:

So once like a decade ago my apartment was on the top floor. I got curious and opened the hatch into the attic, and found that the wall between my attic and the next apartment's had a human-sized hole ripped into it.

There’s a Forensics File about a guy who was strangled by his neighbor, who had come out of a shared ceiling crawlspace opening into the bedroom closet and wasn’t expecting anyone to be sleeping there.

Sleep tight!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

epenthesis posted:

There’s a Forensics File about a guy who was strangled by his neighbor, who had come out of a shared ceiling crawlspace opening into the bedroom closet and wasn’t expecting anyone to be sleeping there.

Sleep tight!

Heck, even if you don't have an attic, you're not safe. In South Oakland in the mid-90s, two neighbors in adjoining row houses were feuding, and one tunneled into the neighbor's house to kill her.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

LadyPictureShow posted:

Heck, even if you don't have an attic, you're not safe. In South Oakland in the mid-90s, two neighbors in adjoining row houses were feuding, and one tunneled into the neighbor's house to kill her.

You know, this is actually inspiring. Human ingenuity and creativity being used to solve problems. Someday, if you are in a feud with someone (like a bank or loan collections agency), you can remember this story as you tunnel your way into the CFO's office space to lay in wait for the loan negotiation. Once you've hammered out the details, the financial burden will be shifted to the executive level and they'll have to deal with it or lose face.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I enjoy that "millennial" is just used to mean "lovely young people" even though some of us are mid-30s now, and I assume some of us are also not that lovely. A lot of people don't even consider the millennial cohort to extend into the 2000s.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Me [26F] with my bf [29M] 3 months, our relationship was perfect but the last 6 weeks have shown a bad side re temper and selfishness [new]
submitted 7 hours ago by batterseadogshome

quote:

As title says - we met 3 months ago and it was the best start ever. I've genuinely never had someone be so interested in me from the start and it was really refreshing, he was complimenting me constantly, wanted to see me all the time, we seemed to have so much in common and we have great sex (like the best I've ever had by FAR).

On our first date he told me he was still married but going through a divorce. He also told me he had bipolar and suffered from depression. At the time I remember thinking it was pretty intense to tell me this from the start, but I was also impressed that he was being so honest with me.

I can't emphasise this enough - the initial 6 weeks or so were fantastic. I could not have been happier - and he kept telling me the same, 'I've never met someone I've fallen for so quickly', pushing to see me more, go on holiday together, etc.

However things have changed a bit recently. He's told me this is a downward spiral in his bipolar but honestly I'm a bit concerned by some stuff he's done/said and worry it's possibly something else? I genuinely adore the person he was at the start - super interesting, witty, intelligent, and loving, and always wanting to see me or talk to me (which was a total reverse of what I was used to to be honest). If we did a crossword together on the train he would cut it up and save it 'for future', he would play the guitar to me, it felt very much too good to be true and I loved every second with him :)

But lately I've definitely noticed a downward trend and sudden selfish behaviours and what I can only describe as adult tantrums:

1.Maybe 4 weeks in he asked me if I'd ever cheated. I said no, of course not. Asked him why? He'd cheated on a gf when he was 17, and he'd cheated on his ex-wife "because they hadn't had sex in a year - she had anorexia and this caused vaginismus"

6 weeks in we were out for dinner together. It was busy so he asked for a seat at the bar so we wouldn't have to wait for a table - which I was fine with, but then the bar area got super busy and people were ordering drinks over my shoulder. I asked him if he'd mind if we did wait for a table and he blew up at me in the middle of the restaurant because I was 'indecisive' and he 'hates indecisive people'. He swore at me and went to ask to move to a table. I started crying. He apologised. But it was a bit of a ruined night. and honestly more so than the words was the look on his face - it was like genuine contempt for me?

He wanted to go ice skating so we went - I hadn't been before and hate stuff like that but he was super excited to go. I fell over a few times and was fine (not enjoying it to be honest but doing my best to try!). I fell over again towards the end of the timeslot and landed on my tailbone/back and really hurt myself, someone helped me skate out. But it was really upsetting that he decided to go back on the rink and keep skating for the 20 mins left of the slot while I was crying on the bench inside? Idk, maybe this makes me the narcissist, but it was really painful and I just wanted to go get ibruprofen and go home, but he was taking instagram stories of himself skating around the ice...

He was meant to come round to mine for dinner the night before we went on holiday. I texted him at 5.45 to say I was leaving work now, see you soon, he read the message. It gets to 7pm so I message asking if he's on his way. 8pm he replies to say he's ended up going for drinks with people from work so won't be at mine until 10 or so. I wouldn't have minded if he had texted to let me know, but I was literally hanging out in my flat waiting for him and waiting to eat with him (and could have gone for drinks with my own work colleagues tbh).

we stopped at his parents house en-route to holiday destination. he helped himself to food/drink and came through without offering me anything - and it was a bit of a weird situ, as surely rude to ask for food/drink in someone else's house. his mum made a comment about it to him and he did go up to get me stuff. but then he sat on his phone the entire time while I chatted to his mum?

really selfish in bed during the holiday... typically we just have intercourse and that's great. but i wasn't finishing from this during the holiday and he wasn't making any effort for me to finish if that makes sense? i definitely was giving and not getting anything back

he was driving us back from the holiday place. i started my period that morning and as we pulled into a petrol station said 'is it bad I'm tempted to go get chocolate'. he looked at me and said 'do you really need more food?'. so i stayed in the car, he went in to pay for the fuel, and had bought himself a chocolate bar and bottle of water. maybe i'm reading too much into this but i just remember thinking 'this seems like extreme selfishness'??

he texted me sunday the next weekend at 5.30pm asking if he could come round and stay over. i'd kinda planned an evening to myself to play a new game but said sure, would you be up for playing this together? so he came round - i made dinner, we started playing, i laughed at his shooting in the game and he went into a sulk and didn't speak to me for the rest of the evening (again, idk - maybe i'm an awful person but it's a game??)

the next morning, we have sex and i get out of the shower after. he continues lying in bed. i'm getting ready, maybe 15 mins or so have passed, so i ask him if he's getting up to shower or not as I don't want to be late for work (he starts an hour later than me). long story short he takes ages in the shower and we're running late to leave my flat. i was trying to help him pack his bag so we could leave (he literally snatched his hair gel from me). i offered to leave him in my flat with the keys so he could lock up and i'd get them later, he refused this. he made a comment about me 'buzzing around him' so i left him but he spent 10 minutes gelling his hair? so we're in the lift together going downstairs with my neighbour. i asked if it would be easier if I get him a key for future, he simply said no. we're leaving the block together and I'm holding the door open for the neighbour with pram and he storms off down the street. so I ran after him, and he blew up at me - 'you've been buzzing around me all morning, 'you're giving me anxiety', 'no more morning sex, I'm banning it', 'you didn't even get me a glass of water this morning'. I had 'ruined' his morning by rushing him and given him anxiety for the rest of the day. I ended up apologising to him but honestly I've been in my new job for like 3 months and was 30 minutes late that morning (so I'd say that was a more anxiety inducing situation..?)

over the last 2-3 weeks he's started randomly insulting me and belittling me. making comments that i'm '90% forehead', criticising my clothes, criticising my nails, calling me a *** because we slept together on the first date.

inbetween all of the bad stuff he gets super apologetic and sends me essay length texts about how he loves me lots and is so appreciative of me, but his bipolar really affects his moods and he really appreciates me being patient with him.

i feel like i've had to really start watching what i say around him as recently it seems like anything i say could make him blow up at me. we used to love listening to music together in bed - i told him it was his turn to choose a playlist and he snapped at me. we were due to meet his friends, so i asked what they were like, and he snapped at me for 'asking such a weird question'. i explained why it wasnt weird in my opinion, so he said they were good looking, intelligent, successful. i thought that was a weird answer so replied 'oh so nothing like us then', smiling, and he snapped 'no nothing like you' and turned away.

it sometimes feels like he can call me anything he wants and use the 'bipolar' card, but i'm constantly watching my behaviour in case it makes him anxious. he's told me that he gets anxiety from me: raising my voice at a video game I'm playing; not replying to texts; rushing him in the morning; suggesting date ideas he's previously done with his ex-wife...

i tried to speak to him about all of the above. stupidly did it via text, my bad. I also said it felt like we'd been hanging out less. he said 'i don't think any of that is true. and if you feel like we've been hanging out less maybe you should organise more dates, because i get anxiety from organising dates and hoping you'll like them'. so i ended up apologising again and organising a ton of dates subsequently

i invited him to a late lunch thing with my flatmates (who are a couple - so 4 of us in total). it gets to 3pm and i've not heard from him all day (lunch is at 3pm). so we leave without him. halfway through the meal he texts 'hey x'. i didn't respond. he messaged again an hour later asking if i'd come over because he's ill and just woke up and would i bring him cough medicine. i stupidly went later that evening because i was worried about him.

he blows up at the slightest criticism. i've never criticised him as a person - but i have criticised his ideas on things before. he had a start up idea for example, and i asked if he'd thought about X (i work for a start up incubator). he blew up over dinner and said i was a negative person, he hates negative people, etc.

drinks too much. this was one of the reasons i went over after the xmas dinner tbh, i sometimes worry he's drinking alone. i've gone over in the past to see tons of beer bottles on his table and in the kitchen lying empty (he lives alone). i asked him about it and he does drink alone in the evenings. worried about this mostly because he's told me he was verbally abusive to his ex-wife (but was in a period of alcoholism and bad cocaine use).

and I guess there's a few other things i've noticed - he is super image conscious and gets annoyed when people were the same clothing as him in public. he constantly posts posed selfies on instagram with comments about 'he could be the next james bond'. idk

tl;dr fell head over heels with a guy that was everything i was looking for. recently his behaviour has massively changed - really jekyll and hyde. he's explained this as bipolar (but he's never been diagnosed, and doesn't take anything or have therapy for this). as a note I genuinely have been to therapy for depression and PTSD but this doesn't seem to get taken into account when he treats me badly...

i just don't know where the lovely, kind, interesting guy went? the one who loves animals, held me that one time i had flashbacks in bed, and was supportive of me. was it even real or all an act? i can't help but worry that i've done something to bring on this change in behaviour :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Pretty solid bingo score here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/BItVvDs

quote:

Was riding my bike to work 12 miles because my car broke down and crashed. Both bones in my forearm broke. My hand was limp and my forearm was bent at a 90* angle and dangling (think those cringe injury videos where it’s painful to watch but you can’t look away) Someone stopped and called an ambulance and I asked them to take me to the hospital where my wife works. Got transferred to another hospital because I have nerve damage and ended up having surgery putting plates, screws, and pins in my arm. I have been here for 4 days. My wife called and said she wants a divorce because she’s embarrassed I took an ambulance for a broken bone and because the ambulance is expensive (having a lot of money issues which is definitely not related to her spending >$1,000/mo on her horse) Didn’t even ask how I was. I guess though I’m relieved. She clearly doesn’t actually care about me anyway. Now I can get back to the Army, which is the only job I’ve ever had that I actually loved, which I left because she threatened to kill herself if I didn’t get out.

EDIT: We've been together for 9 years, married for three. I'm 24. She was raised by a mentally abusive mother, and has an eating disorder, depression, and has tried to kill herself multiple times, many of which I've stopped. Anyways. Had a 4.0 GPA. Ended up going to community college to be with her, then she went away to college and I was left at home. Ended up getting a job at USPS (I hate it, driving me crazy) She finished her Bachelor's in Youth and Family Counseling with $50,000 of debt. She then worked part-time making ~$10, whatever. Meanwhile, I'm paying for everything else. EVERYTHING ELSE. I have no spare money. So, anytime a car broke down or something, we were in a major bind. She never helped me because she 'couldn't afford to.' Enter the horse, which I paid $2,700 for. She started paying all the poo poo for that, and I had to start paying her regular bills because she could only afford to pay for the horse. I didn't care because she loved the horse and it made her happy.

Few years later, we end up in a tight spot again. I suggest me joining the National Guard since I'll be at Basic making money, and we can ride it out. She agrees and acts super supportive until I leave. then she starts sending me letters saying that I 'abandoned her.' I did really well in Basic. 141 GT score, Student Platoon Sergeant, 280 PT score, and I loving loved it. My DS loved me, she had my entire active Army career planned out as an Apache Pilot. I graduated Basic with every honor I could've gotten. My wife met me, and she drove me to AIT. That was the mistake, because that's when she 'coerced' me to come home.
I hated it, but I couldn't say no.

Now, over a year later, we're both miserable, and she says it's all my fault. Because I don't have a better paying job. Because I work so much. Because of 'what I've done to her,' (the Army). She controls everything, our house, what I wear, everything. Because 'I owe her.' She's constantly embarrassed by me because her family (who I get along with fine) is all about sports and everything, and I'm more Star Trek and video games. She never shows any interest in anything I like. She's stopped keeping track of how much she's spent on her horse because she doesn't want to know, but I estimate it's about $40,000 in 3 years. I've wanted this to be over for a while, but I could never do it, because what if she killed herself because of me? I couldn't live with that. Even after everything, I do love her. I'm just glad it's over.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Motronic posted:

Dating a high school kid when you are a legal adult and out of high school? Yeah. It's not even just the age difference: it's being in entirely different places in life. And NOT being the 20 year old dude going to a high school senior prom next year.

19 is very very different from being a full proper adult you big dork, you dont just graduate highschool and turn into your dad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Pretty solid bingo score here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/BItVvDs

If this is the bingo board Ill pass on the prizes

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Motronic posted:

i just don't know where the lovely, kind, interesting guy went? the one who loves animals, held me that one time i had flashbacks in bed, and was supportive of me. was it even real or all an act? i can't help but worry that i've done something to bring on this change in behaviour

That guy was pretend, lady. You started getting to know the "real" him about 6 weeks ago.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

19 is very very different from being a full proper adult you big dork, you dont just graduate highschool and turn into your dad.

This comment made me realize how wrong my opinion truly was. You know what, working your dead end minimum wage warehouse job or whatever while dating high schoolers is a great look. Also, going off to college and still "dating" someone in high school has a 100% success rate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Motronic posted:

This comment made me realize how wrong my opinion truly was. You know what, working your dead end minimum wage warehouse job or whatever while dating high schoolers is a great look. Also, going off to college and still "dating" someone in high school has a 100% success rate.

Lol jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ok, who's gonna be the goon that pulls out the laminated wallet card with their state's Romeo & Juliet law?