Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That country in Asia had the right idea tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It looks like Wright kidnapped that Zak guy's kid, I'm guessing as some ransom thing.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I knew there was something fishy about him. I mean, why else would they allow him to call a parrot as a witness?

Von Karma was robbed.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ChaosArgate posted:

If even Wright's dirty and using forged evidence, then... all lawyers are scum.

Hey now, that Galvin guy is probably ok. I bet the reason he didn't take Zak as a client after all was because Zak was guilty.

...which is still lovely... but not evidence-forgery lovely!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder how this is going to impact Miles Edgeworth's run for DA. The prosecutors' office is looking pretty clean these days (I like this DeBeste kid), but Edgeworth's prior association with Wright should cause some problems.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't play Layton games if you don't love the puzzles for their own sakes. The insane stories and characters are good too but pure abstract puzzle solving is the whole game and the rest is just a loose framework.

the puzzles are ok but the stories are universally poo poo. like they're all such lazy non sequitur cop outs. for a game with so much emphasis on logic puzzles, none of the endings make any sense logically or narratively. whenever i play them i always walk away feeling like the story was trying to insult my intelligence by being as stupid and pointless as possible.

layton vs wright was the last one i'll ever play. way too much layton bull poo poo, not nearly enough screen time for wright.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

the puzzles are ok but the stories are universally poo poo. like they're all such lazy non sequitur cop outs. for a game with so much emphasis on logic puzzles, none of the endings make any sense logically or narratively. whenever i play them i always walk away feeling like the story was trying to insult my intelligence by being as stupid and pointless as possible.

layton vs wright was the last one i'll ever play. way too much layton bull poo poo, not nearly enough screen time for wright.

Actually they're great

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also I'll always believe in Phoenix Wright

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Y'all are making me look back fondly on AJ. Really hope it gets a remaster soon.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regy Rusty posted:

Actually they're great

look i would've actually really liked ace detective vs ace attorney IF AND ONLY IF all black-adjacent colors were invisible so phoenix and maya appeared bald

e: and layton's eyes were invisible so he wore a visor or something to not freak people out

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I wonder how this is going to impact Miles Edgeworth's run for DA. The prosecutors' office is looking pretty clean these days (I like this DeBeste kid), but Edgeworth's prior association with Wright should cause some problems.

Almost missed this, did you not hear about Debeste's father? He went to jail earlier this month! That family's been completely disgraced and by none other than Edgeworth himself. Even the Prosecutorial Investigation Committee determined that he is above reproach.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

look i would've actually really liked ace detective vs ace attorney IF AND ONLY IF all black-adjacent colors were invisible so phoenix and maya appeared bald

Like I said earlier while I love the Layton games they just didn't mix well with Ace Attorney. The wacky resolutions to Layton mysteries are good, but they don't work when combined with Ace Attorney gameplay where the player actually expects to figure them out.

Y'all makin me double post cause I can't include in character and out of character comments in the same post.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Y'all are making me look back fondly on AJ. Really hope it gets a remaster soon.

It got one for Android 2 years ago!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That came out on 3DS too, didn't it?

I would expect them to release the rest of the mainline series on PC and Switch eventually.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It got one for Android 2 years ago!

Well I hope they release it on Switch.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is it okay to talk about the recently released Ace Attorney trilogy here? I've been really enjoying it so far! The writing has been great and it seems like there's still a lot of games left too. I hope they get a big collection release too.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

Not only does Layton bullshit run wild everywhere, seriously the end of the game is like an hour long uninterupted cutscene to painstakingly explain the games mysteries, but it has a severe BMX Bandit and Angel Summoner issue where one guys power is "Good at lawyering" and the other guys power is "Infalliably correct about everything".

The court mechanic was neat and it showed you could make a kickass phoenix wright game in a fantasy setting where you have to learn the rules of the world as you play instead of being stuck in a "realistic" world

Having PW and Layton as co-protagonists just made it really apparent how one series stars a guy who fucks up a good bit, relies on a fair deal of bluff and bullshit, but manages to ultimately figure poo poo out, and the other series stars an infallible super-genius who probably figured everything out early on and just finally decides to let the player in on it at the end.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Reminder that Phoenix gets disbarred not even two weeks after Edgeworth's whole ordeal in Investigations 2.

Also it continues to be a loving shame that game never got localized because we will likely never see Debeste ever again.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ryuga Death posted:

Is it okay to talk about the recently released Ace Attorney trilogy here?

Certainly, though be warned that you'll probably get a lot of unmarked spoilers here, especially for the early games.

edit: If we keep getting new players it might make sense for someone to start a separate spoiler-free thread for the remasters? Turning this thread into a CIA document doesn't seem like it would work.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 19, 2019

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

NRVNQSR posted:

Certainly, though be warned that you'll probably get a lot of unmarked spoilers here, especially for the early games.

edit: If we keep getting new players it might make sense for someone to start a separate spoiler-free thread for the remasters? Turning this thread into a CIA document doesn't seem like it would work.

It's okay. I should've been more careful before reading and posting in this thread. Any spoilers I read was my fault.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There's no way Wright presented forged evidence willingly. He must've been framed. I'm legit shook right now.....

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it would be polite to resume tagging spoilers because of the presence of known first-time players.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah I personally wouldn't mind tagging spoilers , the thread doesn't see that much movement that would warrant a new spoiler free thread imo.

The VN thread did it for someone going through Umineko recently, and I dont remember it being that bothersome.

It's great to see new players and the only thing better than going through these games for the first time is seeing someone else go through the games for the first time.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The biggest flaw in AA x Layton wasn't that it had a ridiculous Layton plot development at the end, but that you did not get to spend the last trial unraveling all that nonsense yourself as Nick. Instead, the entire backstory gets dumped on you in dialogue. It would have been amazing if you actually had to somehow deduce the truth through logic and observation, so that you can actually understand the thought process behind how Layton makes these apparent leaps of logic in his own games.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Argue posted:

The biggest flaw in AA x Layton wasn't that it had a ridiculous Layton plot development at the end, but that you did not get to spend the last trial unraveling all that nonsense yourself as Nick. Instead, the entire backstory gets dumped on you in dialogue. It would have been amazing if you actually had to somehow deduce the truth through logic and observation, so that you can actually understand the thought process behind how Layton makes these apparent leaps of logic in his own games.

Nobody but an insane person would be able to beat the game if you had to to use Layton logic.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Man I'd hate to play any of these games on anything but a handheld, they were made for playing in bed.

Ya I normally just read something if I am on my bed because I feel like reading sitting is way too uncomfortable.

Also after finishing this game will I be able to represent myself in court if I accidentally get accused of murder? If not gently caress this game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ulio posted:

Ya I normally just read something if I am on my bed because I feel like reading sitting is way too uncomfortable.

Also after finishing this game will I be able to represent myself in court if I accidentally get accused of murder? If not gently caress this game.

Pretty sure you always have that option. Whether you can do it successfully is another matter.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

GUI posted:

There's no way Wright presented forged evidence willingly. He must've been framed. I'm legit shook right now.....

Oh come on; his win record for a goddamn DEFENCE attorney should have told you all you need to know. That poo poo with Mask☆DeMasque that happened a few months back? He proved Ron Desomething wasn't him to save him from being found guilty for theft, then proved that he was so he wouldn't be found guilty of murder. WHICH ONE IS IT, SIR?

At least the prosecutor's office should be fresh out of murderers by now.

...oh my god it's all a loving shambles. :negative:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The only Layton game I've played is Miracle Mask and that seemed relatively reasonable on the final plot reveal, if only because it was a fairly well telegraphed series of individual staged illusions rather than a huge overarching facade, and the overall plot motif held together well. The idea of a Count of Monte Cristo plot where the Count is the antagonist and his benefactors are pulling his strings rather than being the force of righteous vengeance he thinks he is worked out pretty well too. That said, it sounds like that's an exception as far as the series goes.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

When you take this case against the series as a whole it's really just the tip of the iceberg to the corruption inherent in the entire legal system, which is most obvious in PW 1-5 but to me stood out in DD 5-3 because it showed how it far-reaching in terms of socially and passage of time "the Dark Age of the Law" really was. Just taking out one bad actor wasn't going to fix the legal system overnight, and if anything I continue to love the series because it demonstrates how tenacious corruption is and how hard you have to fight and cling to your beliefs to make even the smallest changes.

Yeah, the funny thing is the 'Dark Age of the Law' would seem like an asspull but actually makes possibly even more sense than intended given the events of all the previous games where Phoenix keeps exposing corrupt prosecutors (and Edgeworth gets in on it too) until finally getting disbarred himself. And it takes a while for a public campaign to properly crystallise around it but once it finally does it has a lot of valid complaints (and also marketable cute mascots) and a self-reinforcing cycle where lawyers, police and prosecutors stop caring about their image and just do what it takes to win because it's clear there's little to no consequences for cheating unless you get caught. (and that good actors like Phoenix and Edgeworth have already been making efforts to clean things up, but they have a long way to go)

And Khu'Rain shows the endgame of that kind of system, that regresses to an effectively medieval level of justice as people have lost faith in the modern justice system, even though the remnants of it are basically the last thing standing between the kingdom becoming a complete tyranny. (The Khu'Rain judge for the most part seems shockingly fair-minded and on the ball despite his initial threats to cut out Wright's tongue, and is probably the last thing indicating the country isn't beyond saving) Ironically being a country where spirit channeling and related disciplines are fully accepted both as real things and part of the justice system, and the issue being that they're given too much weight rather than being treated as just another form of evidence and witnesses; basically combining the central arcs of the earlier games and the later ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ulio posted:

Only if accused of crimes in Japanafornia

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

it's just normal california there's a bear on the god drat state flag. it's not a stretch that kurain has bears

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

Although unless he's a straight white male he might find the legal system way less fair than portrayed in the games.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
make a young mia game cowards

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hace posted:

make a young mia game cowards

They already did

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just noticed the confetti's when you get the verdict, I've never been to court so maybe it is true..

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Ulio posted:

I just noticed the confetti's when you get the verdict, I've never been to court so maybe it is true..

canonically it's gumshoe throwing it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1120763493337063424

I never noticed the little Angel on the boxes before, that's adorable.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
drat, that first case in DGS was amazing. If the game keeps it up it's definitely going to be one of my favourites.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What do I need to do to play DGS in English on my (UK) 3DS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/aceattorneygame/status/1120763493337063424

I never noticed the little Angel on the boxes before, that's adorable.

I can't believe I never noticed until now that she has two big decorative jelly doughnuts on her hat.