Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I need to future proof against future consoles with an out of date handheld just so I can play games from an even older generation of handhelds.

Nintendo, gotta love em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What physical games are looking to be rare with the announcement that I should look into grabbing before they get too expensive?
Yokai Watch Blasters and Yokai Watch 3 are apparently already fairly rare.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Even with the rumors of a more kid friendly Switch, I think I'm still going to pick up a three pack (maybe four, one for myself and my wife) of 2DS XL's for my kids to burn through some great games and also just some near-bulletproof gaming on the go.

If somehow this new kid-Switch could play the NDS lineup, that would change something for me, but the clamshell style and classic layout is super attractive to me.

When do we think the announcement may be made so a final decision can be made? Ideally, I'd like to have something purchased before our August trip to Europe.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I imagine anything that came out in the first year or so of the 3DS' life and was never made available digitally is already pretty pricey, even though most of those games are crap or obsoleted by later revisions or ports to other systems or whatever, like OG Theatrhythm, Ace Combat and Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

First year stuff has been relatively easy to find and pretty cheap in my experience. The only launch title that still goes for $30+ is Madden NFL for some reason.

It's hard to figure out what is going to be rare. Ebay and Amazon has some shovelware puzzle games that I've been trying to get CIB, but they're mostly new copies and they're going for around $50. It's really annoying.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
If only Jaws: Ultimate Predator weren't absolute garbage. I rather enjoyed the Unleashed title it was based off. Maybe if it hadn't been an immediate cash grab near launch it would be worth trying today.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's one of the games that I do need. Ebay has a bunch floating around ~$20. For titles like these, I can usually get a better deal at my local used game store. But things have been getting dry lately. Gamestops have been rear end for 3DS games lately.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I would not worry about rarity. Gamecubes are still <$100. The Vectrex I bought from the early 80s was $300 with 10 games

Do not overestimate the future value of bideogame consoles, the digital landfill is vast

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm more worried about getting games CIB. Kids and parents would love to throw out the boxes to DS and 3DS games. It makes shopping for them such a hassle, and CIB games more expensive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm more worried about getting games CIB. Kids and parents would love to throw out the boxes to DS and 3DS games. It makes shopping for them such a hassle, and CIB games more expensive.

This has been my experience. I've been looking at Gamestops for the past week or two, and they have a ton of DS and 3DS games, like at least a hundred at any given store. And maybe 20 still with the original box.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Detective No. 27 posted:

GameStop threw out boxes at the end of DS's life. If you care about getting boxed 3DS games, maybe get a move on on figuring out which games you're gonna want right now.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yea, if you're a collector, this will be a long and expensive journey

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

elf help book posted:

GameStop threw out boxes at the end of DS's life. If you care about getting boxed 3DS games, maybe get a move on on figuring out which games you're gonna want right now.

Yup, I traded in some DS games earlier this year and they asked if I wanted the boxes back because they were just going to throw them away.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

elf help book posted:

I worked at GameStop when this happened. I wasn't happy with it. I did save as many boxes as I could though.

Spellman posted:

Yea, if you're a collector, this will be a long and expensive journey

Oh, I am well aware. I know I keep posting about it, but I'm trying to get the entire US 3DS library. Last I checked, I'm over 2/3 of the way there.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh, I am well aware. I know I keep posting about it, but I'm trying to get the entire US 3DS library. Last I checked, I'm over 2/3 of the way there.

Are you gonna play them all?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Are you gonna play them all?

I might.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Persona Q2. Pre-order it because you might not ever even see it in stores.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Any of the Atlus games are a good bet. Especially Radiant Historia.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
So I ended up getting a new 2DS XL with Mario Kart 7 deal. Hilarious that the system transfer process is still this convoluted. And apparently the 2DS has no open contacts for cradle charging? And if you have a New 3DS XL, you have to have a screwdriver to remove the backplate to get at the microSD card? And it doesn't come with a charging cable?

Oh Nintendo, what goes through your tragic, broken brain sometimes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heath posted:

Any of the Atlus games are a good bet. Especially Radiant Historia.

I feel like Atlus did really good print runs for their 3DS titles. But they will be sought after, and they're mostly all good quality. They did a better job supporting 3DS than Square Enix, who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to localize DQVII.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Is that one special edition of Code of Princess rare any more? I know it got ported eventually for what ever reason, but for a while it was desirable and pricey.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't have an exact answer, but yeah probably. I don't really see it at any used game stores. You'll get lucky to find a complete special edition of an Atlus game a couple years after release.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hell, just the regular edition of Radiant Historia was GONE about a week after release. It's quite possibly the most expensive PAL game, given I've seen eBay listings for $100AUD+.

I really regret not buying a copy when I actually saw it on store shelves :negative:.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aw drat, Australia. I saw a new copy at a GameStop here a few weeks ago.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like the most $$ 3ds game is Barbie something or other. And then Fire Emblem Fates SE. Then yokai 3. Weird. After that the prices aren't really that high so pretty much anything you want is either around retail or slightly more or less, of course.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So I ended up getting a new 2DS XL with Mario Kart 7 deal. Hilarious that the system transfer process is still this convoluted. And apparently the 2DS has no open contacts for cradle charging? And if you have a New 3DS XL, you have to have a screwdriver to remove the backplate to get at the microSD card? And it doesn't come with a charging cable?

Oh Nintendo, what goes through your tragic, broken brain sometimes.
Yeah, I wasn't too happy about the difficult-to-access mSD and no pack-in charger, but since I was upgrading from a basic 3DS, the latter didn't matter too much to me. You can also transfer files back and forth over Wi-Fi, but it's super slow and unreliable, so sometimes you need to open up the case anyways.

The charging cradle that came with my old 3DS was garbage, though, and it never really worked right, so I pretty much exclusively use the AC adapter to charge my 3DS. No cradle charging on new 2DS is no big loss, IMO.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, just the regular edition of Radiant Historia was GONE about a week after release. It's quite possibly the most expensive PAL game, given I've seen eBay listings for $100AUD+.

I really regret not buying a copy when I actually saw it on store shelves :negative:.
Yeah, Atlus games can be hell to find once their print runs have sold through, and Atlus doesn't really do re-runs on games. One advantage of buying digital is not having to worry about physical stock.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I feel like Atlus did really good print runs for their 3DS titles. But they will be sought after, and they're mostly all good quality. They did a better job supporting 3DS than Square Enix, who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to localize DQVII.

I mean, tbf to square, Dragon Quest has never been a huge overseas seller especially before XI, and in interviews they basically admitted going on that they knew 7 was a very unprofitable entry to localize but they still wanted to do it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So Shakedown: Hawaii, a.k.a. Retro City Rampage's "16-bit" sequel, is releasing May 7th on most platforms. Still coming to 3DS (will work on old and new units), although "later", apparently.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, tbf to square, Dragon Quest has never been a huge overseas seller especially before XI, and in interviews they basically admitted going on that they knew 7 was a very unprofitable entry to localize but they still wanted to do it.

I'm glad they did eventually got Nintendo to publish it. It's been really frustrating to be a US Dragon Quest fan, having to hear "We'll probably not translate more if this one doesn't sell well" before every game comes out. Maybe pre-DXI games would have sold better if they actually marketed them, I dunno.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Square's international marketing plan for like a decade was "do nothing and wait for Nintendo to foot the bill".

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

good call on persona q2.

does dq8 have anything different from the ps2 version?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

good call on persona q2.

does dq8 have anything different from the ps2 version?

An extra playable character and portability. It's a pretty good port. Sadly, they removed the orchestrated music that the US PS2 version had and replaced it with the lovely midis. You can always download to get the orchestration back in if you have custom firmware, but the hacks I found were also dumbly connected to retranslations, which are incompatible with the voice acting.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also there's no random battles (except on the ship). Enemies move around on the field and you go into battle when you bump into them. Plus there's a fast forward in battle and some other QoL stuff

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is it worth hunting down Radiant History 3DS or would I be better off playing the DS one that I think already is in my house somewhere. I seem to remember someone here complaining a lot about the 3DS version but they seemed really really mad about it to the point that I'm not sure their complaints were things I would care about.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RichterIX posted:

Is it worth hunting down Radiant History 3DS or would I be better off playing the DS one that I think already is in my house somewhere. I seem to remember someone here complaining a lot about the 3DS version but they seemed really really mad about it to the point that I'm not sure their complaints were things I would care about.

I had never played the DS version and the 3DS version seemed fine to me, although I got bored of it after a while

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RichterIX posted:

The 3DS one is mostly the same, but with new character art and extra postgame content that adds to the story and ties up some hanging plot threads from the original. Some people don't like the extra stuff. I liked it a lot. If you don't want to buy it again though the DS version is also great. Either way it's one of my favorite RPGs of all time so you should play it in some form.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Radiant Historia 3D is good, but it's not a drastic overhaul or anything. Kinda just polishes up the DS version, which already looks gorgeous.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks! I probably should just play the DS one but the 3DS one sounds tempting if I run across a physical copy or the eshop has a sale.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
For Radiant História, I prefer the original DS character portraits that appear in conversations. I think the originals can optionally be used instead, but 3DS only NPCs will appear with their mismatched art so I wouldn't recommend bothering with that dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The 3DS one is also retranslated (and not as well) but the differences aren't super great. I also preferred the original portraits, and you can have them on the 3DS for actual money if you want to buy the insanely overpriced dlc
Edit: and they gave Eruca long hair for some reason. I liked her boy cut.