Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mcmagic posted:

If Bernie gets the nomination, Schultz will DEFINITELY run.

I nominate YOU to save us from forest fires!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

InsertPotPun posted:

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1120401219065921538

Just want to remind people that Avenetti was arrested and charged for trying to blackmail Nike in less than a week.

Hey... you.. I've got a secret...

ACAB

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
If you want to see a glimpse of what is coming down the pipe, look at Eric Holder when he was held in Contempt of Congress in 2012: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder#Contempt_of_Congress

Nancy Pelosi and most Democratic Representatives ceremonially marched out of the House of Representatives to protest the contempt vote (which was in June 2012, 4 months before the election), while Republicans beat the drums of war and racistly yelled about how these black guys gave guns to murderers. Then Obama's Justice Department declined to prosecute, making the charge entirely symbolic.

Democrats actually won that election by a lot: Obama got a second term, the Democratic controlled Senate picked up two more seats, and Democrats had a 1.4% plurality in the House. However Republicans kept control the house because we don't live in a democracy and then they started dozens more sham investigations.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Stereotype posted:

This is very much not a normal occurrence.

Every administration throughout my entire life, except HW Bush, has done it. Under what definition is that not "normal"?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SickZip posted:

Every administration throughout my entire life, except HW Bush, has done it. Under what definition is that not "normal"?

That's a hell of a caveat.

edit: Not that I think this is "the end of the rule of law as we know it" either.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nothing says "CRIMES!" like refusing to testify in court

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

On Terra Firma posted:

this is in my town and I am struggling to find a reason not to go

While he's trying to speechify, just start tossing Monopoly play money at him. Make it rain!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gorson posted:

Yeah there is no end to it. My go to example of crab mentality is the people that say "we can't end the drug war!" because people have died fighting that war, and if we end it now we are not honoring them. Or something.

Is that crab mentality? That just sounds like a sunk cost fallacy.

Crabs in a bucket can succinctly be explained as, "If I couldn't have it, neither should you."

Murgos posted:

She’s 79. There is no reason for a 79 year old to be running anything. There needs to be an upper limit on age for holding political office.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 23, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/sarperduman/status/1120580326605168640

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Taste the love

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Zesty posted:

Is that crab mentality? That just sounds like a sunk cost fallacy.

Crabs in a bucket can succinctly be explained as, "If I couldn't have it, neither should you."

The Great Filter will be a perfect, harmless, no side effect immortality drug.

That only works before puberty.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You're welcome, please come again.

A shameful snipe. Someone post a picture of Krypto. I would but I am too dumb to do it on a phone.
Couple of pages back but there weren't any taxes paid for that page... so...

... or the next page..

... or the next...

Dammit people.. pay your taxes...

Thank you.
-------------

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

The Great Filter will be a perfect, harmless, no side effect immortality drug.

That only works before puberty.
Creepy

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That doesn’t seem like the fight they should be picking. I know, base and Fox, but nepotism overriding security recommendations? That’s much harder to spin than, say, Russia.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Stickman posted:

That doesn’t seem like the fight they should be picking. I know, base and Fox, but nepotism overriding security recommendations? That’s much harder to spin than, say, Russia.

Trump better watch out or he might start to look bad

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to know why Obama never gets the blame for starting the kiddie concetration camps at the border. Is Trump not just continuing the horrific policies that Obama originally started?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's getting super hard to disagree with the Nothing Matters crowd, when nothing continues to matter.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1120370896827404288?s=21

This is very cool

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Confounding Factor posted:

I'd like to know why Obama never gets the blame for starting the kiddie concetration camps at the border. Is Trump not just continuing the horrific policies that Obama originally started?

As I understand it those were hastily put together to accommodate the large numbers of unaccompanied minors that came in a short period of time so the usual facilities didn't have enough room. They didn't stay in them for long and they sure as hell weren't separated from their parents first.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Republicans posted:

As I understand it those were hastily put together to accommodate the large numbers of unaccompanied minors that came in a short period of time so the usual facilities didn't have enough room. They didn't stay in them for long and they sure as hell weren't separated from their parents first.

He should’ve had the foresight to prepare for an influx of refugees after his administration helped coup Honduras

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Condiv posted:

He should’ve had the foresight to prepare for an influx of refugees after his administration helped coup Honduras

They were opposed to the coup though

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Then why didn’t they remove aid (including military) when it was obvious zelaya was couped? Why’d they push other countries in the region to recognize the new government and why did they push for new elections (run by the new right wing government)?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Stereotype posted:

If you want to see a glimpse of what is coming down the pipe, look at Eric Holder when he was held in Contempt of Congress in 2012: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Holder#Contempt_of_Congress

Nancy Pelosi and most Democratic Representatives ceremonially marched out of the House of Representatives to protest the contempt vote (which was in June 2012, 4 months before the election), while Republicans beat the drums of war and racistly yelled about how these black guys gave guns to murderers. Then Obama's Justice Department declined to prosecute, making the charge entirely symbolic.

Democrats actually won that election by a lot: Obama got a second term, the Democratic controlled Senate picked up two more seats, and Democrats had a 1.4% plurality in the House. However Republicans kept control the house because we don't live in a democracy and then they started dozens more sham investigations.

So Contempt of Congress is toothless? Does Congress have any remedy if the Executive doesn't comply?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

From what I remember Obama said he was against it but Hillary waffled on it because that would mean cutting aid and, in her calculation, make the situation worse.

Condiv posted:

Then why didn’t they remove aid (including military) when it was obvious zelaya was couped? Why’d they push other countries in the region to recognize the new government and why did they push for new elections (run by the new right wing government)?

Probably because they didn't care who was in charge and just wanted the country to stabilize.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 23, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Ironic how this convo came up wrt refugees from the south... of whom there'd be vastly more if the US had cut aid. Because they were already aware that they didn't have the resources on the southern border to handle a massive influx of refugees

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know we live in nothing matters world where there is never a step too far, but I actually think that this would be a step too far. Maybe not for chuds but for driving turnout with every other group. ‘Saying the N word’ is one of the ways to do a racism that everybody understands as ‘that’s Racism.’ If Trump was on tape saying the N word it would drive turnout among people who would never have thought about going to vote otherwise

Somehow I don't think the people who had no problem voting for a guy who said Mexicans are rapists and murderers would suddenly find him unpalatable after finding out he may have said the n-word.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Confounding Factor posted:

Obama wasn't specifically separating children from parents who arrived at the border in hopes of deterring future refugees I think

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Stereotype posted:

So that's going to be the line used everywhere to say it's OK that Trump officials refuse and the DOJ declines to prosecute.

Should Holder have testified, there? From what I remember fast and furious was a minor (especially compared to today) but real scandal.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1120628334432608256
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1120630405831569408
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1120632004138151939
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1120633085618421760
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1120635200327831552

Totally normal president here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
lmao

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ironic how this convo came up wrt refugees from the south... of whom there'd be vastly more if the US had cut aid. Because they were already aware that they didn't have the resources on the southern border to handle a massive influx of refugees

Cutting military aid and training doesn’t cause a refugee crisis, was very on the table since us law says that should happen, and would probably have helped less people be massacred by right wing death squads.

Republicans posted:

Probably because they didn't care who was in charge and just wanted the country to stabilize.

Death squads that murder journalists and ecological activists aren’t what I would call stabilizing, but you do you

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Nosre posted:

So that's going to be the line used everywhere to say it's OK that Trump officials refuse and the DOJ declines to prosecute.

Should Holder have testified, there? From what I remember fast and furious was a minor (especially compared to today) but real scandal.

The DOJ is basically the Federal DA's office with the DEA being the federal narcotics cops. If he testified, he'd be in a position of exposing just how hosed up our entire approach to narco-interdiction is and that's an intolerable position for them to be in.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Condiv posted:

Cutting military aid and training doesn’t cause a refugee crisis, was very on the table since us law says that should happen, and would probably have helped less people be massacred by right wing death squads.

Death squads that murder journalists and ecological activists aren’t what I would call stabilizing, but you do you

quote:

Although U.S. officials characterized the events as a coup, suspended joint military operations[61] and all non-emergency, non-immigrant visas,[62][63] and cut off certain non-humanitarian aid to Honduras,[64][65] they held back from formally designating Zelaya's ouster as a "military coup", which would have required them to cut off almost all aid to Honduras.[66][67][68] The Obama Administration's attempts to pressure Honduras into reversing the ouster of Zelaya were influenced by Republican minority party efforts to reach out to and advocate on behalf of the Micheletti government and defend the actions taken against Zelaya.[69][70][71]

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1120639589994106881

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1120642109676118016

Feisty today.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Donny seems Totally Not Mad and still completely and Very Exonerated, Legal, Cool and Good.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

McCloud posted:

See, people kept saying that, and then MoS delivered a Superman that was human (relatively speaking), relatable, limited in his powers and insecure in himself, and suddenly everyone shits their pants and dumbasses call the producer an objectivist because Superman didn't smile enough or whatever. MoS showed that what people actually want from Superman is the simplistic fantasy of a kind-hearted father figure that will always save the day with a smile, and anything deviating from that is

Man of Steel was a dark (literally, there was not a single bright color in that movie) and joyless film that reveled in death and violence against the innocent. It is straight-up just not enjoyable to watch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

God he really just wants to be treated as a god king who can do no wrong.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man of Steel was a dark (literally, there was not a single bright color in that movie) and joyless film that reveled in death and violence against the innocent. It is straight-up just not enjoyable to watch.

yeah but it was still better than superman returns

kryptonite knife....*mutters angrily*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah but it was still better than superman returns

kryptonite knife....*mutters angrily*
Superman Returns was just boring. At least MoS is entertainingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Lmao. Donald Trump is president. Dude’s in charge....