Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

there wolf posted:

Seems like most cladding burns very well unless it's made specifically to be fire resistant. So if you're not going in that direction, why not the easy to hang poo poo one?

I basically had a moment where I said "wait, I'm going to be covering these walls in wood shelving and pegboard, so is the drywall buying me much other than protecting the studs not adjacent to my living space?"

I also have gone a bit nuts on safety upgrades. New electrical box, re-wiring everything little by little, among other things homeowners do to add value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

The slotted driver is for stabbing anyone who brings slotted fasteners onto your property. This may explain my difficulties hiring an electrician.

If and only if you have the exact size slotted tip for the screw you're turning, slotted screws are great because you can put a stupendous amount of torque into one. You can tell you got the right size if you can put a loose screw on the bit and not only is the bit the exact width of the screw, but also you can turn the whole mess sideways and friction alone keeps the screw from falling off the bit.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ah yes, soft brass slotted.

Because slotted isn't bad enough on it's own*, let's make something you can't even put in with a drill or it'll snap off halfway in.

You don't put brass screws in with power tools. There is a time and a place for hand tools and some muscle.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Time to post it again:

Wasabi the J posted:

I saw this at an actual communications company:

Why, yes, it does go to the main AND the generator on the same line. No, that door doesn't lock.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 19, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I've heard from tons of friends who had to move or spend time in Australia or Japan or something that the switch wasn't remotely as hard as they thought it would be and they got used to it extremely quickly.

It is ridiculously easy and anyone who can’t cope shouldn’t be driving.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Did it at least go off when it started smoking?

Also, screw related- I actually like flat blade screw drivers. Specifically what I really like are the combination Phillips and slotted screw heads. Because flat blade screw drivers are not designed to cam out like Phillips, you can easily apply more torque to a slotted screw. Just find a screw that accepts both drives, tighten it until it is snug and starts to cam out with a Phillips screw driver, then put a flat blade screw driver on and I would bet you can easily get at least another 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the screw. If I really want to make sure a screw is tight, I finish off with a flat blade screw driver. Of course, I could use thread locker too to prevent a screw from loosening but that seems like cheating.

I keep a small assortment of precision screwdrivers at my desk, the Phillips are important to have the right size and the flat blade screwdrivers give me a wide variety of prying tools. Similarly, I also successfully used a flat blade screw driver to void the warranty on my PS3 since it needed a recessed security torx bit which I didn't want to buy. Ironically, I had the right bit, but because it was recessed I was going to need a long reach bit or a special screw driver.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

If and only if you have the exact size slotted tip for the screw you're turning, slotted screws are great

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also, screw related- I actually like flat blade screw drivers. Specifically what I really like are the combination Phillips and slotted screw heads. Because flat blade screw drivers are not designed to cam out like Phillips, you can easily apply more torque to a slotted screw. Just find a screw that accepts both drives, tighten it until it is snug and starts to cam out with a Phillips screw driver, then put a flat blade screw driver on and I would bet you can easily get at least another 1/4 to 1/2 turn on the screw.

You people will be the first in the guillotines when the revolution occurs as flat blade apologists. :thermidor:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

rndmnmbr posted:

If and only if you have the exact size slotted tip for the screw you're turning, slotted screws are great because you can put a stupendous amount of torque into one. You can tell you got the right size if you can put a loose screw on the bit and not only is the bit the exact width of the screw, but also you can turn the whole mess sideways and friction alone keeps the screw from falling off the bit.

You don't put brass screws in with power tools. There is a time and a place for hand tools and some muscle.

Well, yes, I know that now.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

You people will be the first in the guillotines when the revolution occurs as flat blade apologists. :thermidor:
Look who's talking. Couldn't even spring for a phillips guillotine?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just do what I do and gradually over the course of 20 years accumulate a drawer with like 30 different screwdrivers plus at least 50 different bits. You'll nearly always have the right driver for the job, at the minor cost of always needing to spend ten minutes rooting around in there to find it, and only a 10% rate of not finding it and buying a new one only to find it later.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Just do what I do and gradually over the course of 20 years accumulate a drawer with like 30 different screwdrivers plus at least 50 different bits. You'll nearly always have the right driver for the job, at the minor cost of always needing to spend ten minutes rooting around in there to find it, and only a 10% rate of not finding it and buying a new one only to find it later.
:hfive:

Said drawer also contains several nutless bolts and boltless nuts and a bunch of weird screws that I only have one of, all of which I'll definitely need one day.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Buy harbor freight screwdriver sets because you can't find the one you need and it's cheaper to get the 6 pack from HF, only to later find that specific driver in the trunk of the car a month later. Have a dozen duplicates of all the common sizes.

Lose all your #2 Philips drivers anyway.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Queen Combat posted:

Buy harbor freight screwdriver sets because you can't find the one you need and it's cheaper to get the 6 pack from HF, only to later find that specific driver in the trunk of the car a month later. Have a dozen duplicates of all the common sizes.

There are so many empty holes in my bit sets marked P#2

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Scarodactyl posted:

Look who's talking. Couldn't even spring for a phillips guillotine?

That would be fantastic for watermelons.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Somewhere in my garage is a while pile of 10mm sockets hanging out with a bunch of P2 bits.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

They’re hanging out with my Allen wrenches I assure you :argh:

(I have 5 incomplete sets)

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Maybe they’re with all my drill bits of usable diameters.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

High Lord Elbow posted:

"Go away, 17/64, NOBODY LIKES YOU"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

High Lord Elbow posted:

:same:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

stuxracer posted:

They’re hanging out with my Allen wrenches I assure you :argh:

(I have 5 incomplete sets)

You think that's bad? Try working with a complete fucknut.

Can't find the Allen wrench you need? Go get a brand new one from the tool crib.

Leave it in a random location or just toss it in whatever drawer you opened with zero thought.

Repeat.

After putting a set of every wrench needed at the machines, I filled a toolbox drawer with the rest. 3rd drawer down on the left. I started with one of the shallow drawers but they didn't fit.

That's a lot of money tied up in Bondhus wrenches.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

MisterOblivious posted:

You think that's bad? Try working with a complete fucknut.

Can't find the Allen wrench you need? Go get a brand new one from the tool crib.

Leave it in a random location or just toss it in whatever drawer you opened with zero thought.

Repeat.

After putting a set of every wrench needed at the machines, I filled a toolbox drawer with the rest. 3rd drawer down on the left. I started with one of the shallow drawers but they didn't fit.

That's a lot of money tied up in Bondhus wrenches.

My mom used to yell at me for doing that.

Then I moved in with someone who did it to me.

My mom is getting tired of me apologizing every time I go over for dinner.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
You had a tool crib at home?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Queen Combat posted:

You had a tool crib at home?

Yeah, full woodworker's shop, tool crib (well, fancy multi-compartment toolbox on wheels that stood hip-high), and a full wall of pegboard. My mom's a real stickler for putting poo poo back where it goes.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
A "tool crib" is like a combination store and library in a machine shop. When you need a piece of tooling you "buy" the tool or borrow an instrument or fixture from the crib.

It helps keep track of who's using all the tooling, tracks stock levels so you can reorder efficiently, keep an eye on who might be stealing or breaking stuff, etc.

The instrument/fixture tracking let's the company keep track of who has borrowed shop equipment for a job. Some people are really bad at returning stuff and walking around searching for something you need, that might be hidden in somebody's box, isn't a good use of time.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 20, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Queen Combat posted:

#2 Philips drivers are the computer tech's version of a 10mm socket.

They are devoured by the ether. I have a bag of 25 of them and bag of 25 t8 torx bits on my desk.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

MisterOblivious posted:

A "tool crib" is like a combination store and library in a machine shop. When you need a piece of tooling you "buy" the tool or borrow an instrument or fixture from the crib.

It helps keep track of who's using all the tooling, tracks stock levels so you can reorder efficiently, keep an eye on who might be stealing or breaking stuff, etc.

The instrument/fixture tracking let's the company keep track of who has borrowed shop equipment for a job. Some people are really bad at returning stuff and walking around searching for something you need, that might be hidden in somebody's box, isn't a good use of time.

If there had been more than 3 people in my house, I'm sure my mom would have implemented a check in/out process.

Fortunately for her, she knew if something was missing, it was my fault.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

What the gently caress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That SKU is my favorite part.

Wonder how many other adjectives they have in that size.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I bought my mom a refurb computer the other day, and thought I grabbed the right screwdriver set so I could install her old hard drive. Except, oops, it looks like HP still has their IBM-era fascination with torx screws.

Fortunately the smallest flatblade bit I had fit inside the torx lobes, so job done.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Don't use the spark during shabbat indeed.

(This has since been fixed. This was last night on my new water heater. Probably been doing it since they installed it. I won't be using these plumbers again.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Christ that took me a second, people loving around with gas who don't know what to do are loving scary.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

When I was a kid my parents had the furnace replaced and they didn't screw the cap for the drip leg on all the way. The next day or so it popped clean off and, as you can imagine, a huge amount of gas filled the basement. As soon as she smelled it, my mom took my brother and I out of the house and called the FD - while she was in college a dorm exploded from a gas leak, so she was ultra cautious about that sort of thing. The firefighters turned off the meter and aired out the house without mishap. Yeah, that was almost a disaster; the installers were hugely apologetic but I think that was the last time my parents considered using them.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Lol it says "coffee"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Thankfully, you can buy the P2 bits in contractor packs, because drywallers use them up like candy.

Proteus Jones posted:

Somewhere in my garage is a while pile of 10mm sockets hanging out with a bunch of P2 bits.

Platystemon posted:

What the gently caress.

WTF indeed. Peak "patina", I guess.

kid sinister posted:

Lol it says "coffee"

MAde me chuckle. I am a child.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Leperflesh posted:

What about some of the other options presented here?
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/alternatives-drywall-garage-walls-89033.html

I'm gonna be doing the same thing in my garage eventually. I had a sorta idea of using something other than drywall, if only because it'd be easier to mount french cleats or other hardware on the walls for modular storage if I don't have to always find a stud to go into. But I definitely don't want to create a fire hazard.
Drywall. Anything else sucks. You mount french cleats to studs with any finishing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Context:

quote:

A New Business Next Door Installed a Pipe That Blows Hot Steam Directly Into Our Backyard and Apartment. Recommendations? (self.legaladvice)

My family rents an apartment with a backyard in NYC, and a new salon has recently moved in next door. Unbeknownst to us, they installed a pipe extending out the back of their building that blows hot air and steam directly into our backyard—and since it is situated next to my father's window, into his bedroom as well. I've included some pictures below

We will start by politely asking them to remove the pipe, or at the very least move it higher/out of the way. However, I would like to get a better understanding of the legal landscape before asking, in case they flatly refuse. Does this violate our rights as renters, or those of our landlord? Is a practice like this illegal for a business in any way?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/bfdqod/a_new_business_next_door_installed_a_pipe_that/

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE