Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ahaha, rate it 1 all you like! It's broken!!

(don't come at me in a browser)

Yeah it's fixed in the next update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Midjack posted:

Try rating it a 1 and see if it works.

gently caress yes, I knew what the very next post was gonna be. Thank you for not disappointing me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I did consider saying something like, it must be a new feature that won't let you vote obviously incorrect values.

But I didn't want to be rude.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

There's a weird thing happening in my app, where the button on the top right of every post (the menu for quote/edit/posts by this guy etc.) does not function at all. The app does not react to any tapping of it, while everything else works completely fine. I had the same issue like two months ago already but for some reason it later just worked again after I fiddled around with some theme setting (can' remember which though), but this time it appears to be stuck no matter what i try to change.
Interestingly, neither rebooting nor even reinstalling the entire app fixed this in any way, so I am wondering if this is something the app is doing, or if my phone has gone crazy.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

Goons Are Great posted:

There's a weird thing happening in my app, where the button on the top right of every post (the menu for quote/edit/posts by this guy etc.) does not function at all. The app does not react to any tapping of it, while everything else works completely fine. I had the same issue like two months ago already but for some reason it later just worked again after I fiddled around with some theme setting (can' remember which though), but this time it appears to be stuck no matter what i try to change.
Interestingly, neither rebooting nor even reinstalling the entire app fixed this in any way, so I am wondering if this is something the app is doing, or if my phone has gone crazy.

I once had the same issue, and the solution was to update my Chrome app.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

WienerDog posted:

Fascinating. That fixed it indeed. I don't use Chrome and always had it deactivated, so it didn't occur to me . If I keep chrome active and updated, it works fine, but if I remove it again, the problem reappears. Not really surprised there, only wondering how the app was able to work earlier without Chrome, if it's that vital.
Thank you!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Goons Are Great posted:

Fascinating. That fixed it indeed. I don't use Chrome and always had it deactivated, so it didn't occur to me . If I keep chrome active and updated, it works fine, but if I remove it again, the problem reappears. Not really surprised there, only wondering how the app was able to work earlier without Chrome, if it's that vital.
Thank you!

Updating the webview moved from being separate to being within Chrome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Just letting you know that I really appreciate how much work and love you guys put into this thing.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wasabi the J posted:

Just letting you know that I really appreciate how much work and love you guys put into this thing.

Same

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't know how many years it's been but this has always been my favorite and most used app. Thank you!

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Goons Are Great posted:

Thank you!
Search for webview on the play store (com.google.android.webview) and see if that has an update available.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oben posted:

Search for webview on the play store (com.google.android.webview) and see if that has an update available.

That was it. I enabled Chrome for a short time yesterday to test something, resulting in web view being deactivated and after I killed Chrome again it for some reason reactivated webview with the missing update, which I now could fix. Back on track now with full function and Chrome gone.

Thank you very much! Since I use this amazing godawful app for the majority of my quality posts, I'm very thankful to have this.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Looks like Amazon hosed with something on my Fire tablet and manually installing WebView, which I didn't have yet, doesn't fix the issue with the menu on posts. Weird.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't know how many years it's been but this has always been my favorite and most used app. Thank you!

Suspicious username/post combo.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Suspicious username/post combo.

What an edgelord :rolleyes:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Just switched to a Galaxy J7 and the three-dots button to pull up the Quote Posts submenu does not work.

EDIT: Updating Chrome fixed it.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 23, 2019

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

On my Samsung S10 running Pie, the Dark theme and OLED theme show a very bright bottom strip for switch/home/back soft buttons with gray icons on a white field, rather than the inverse.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Totally unimportant bug: if you choose to only show posts by a certain user in a thread and the amount of those posts doesn't add up to more than a single page, then the denominator of the page selector doesn't update from the total number of pages in the thread. You can then press the forward arrow and get a 'page not found in the live forums' error.

Seems to work right whenever the poster has more than a page worth of posts in a thread though.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
EDIT: I'm an idiot

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SpelledBackwards posted:

On my Samsung S10 running Pie, the Dark theme and OLED theme show a very bright bottom strip for switch/home/back soft buttons with gray icons on a white field, rather than the inverse.

Yeah I have always had this on my S8+, I think it's come up before and is a known issue, but it would be way easier on the eyes if anything can be done about it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Got any (full screen) screenshots of those themes? It might be a sarnsung issue since the navs are all dark by default, but maybe there are some clues

Flipperwaldt posted:

Totally unimportant bug: if you choose to only show posts by a certain user in a thread and the amount of those posts doesn't add up to more than a single page, then the denominator of the page selector doesn't update from the total number of pages in the thread. You can then press the forward arrow and get a 'page not found in the live forums' error.

Seems to work right whenever the poster has more than a page worth of posts in a thread though.

Hrm thanks, I'll take a look!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have a new phone, Nokia 8.1. it comes with stock Android 9 (under the Android One program).

It also has one of those longer (18.7:9) screen and compared to my old HTC 10 I get the feeling that the pull to refresh needs a really long swipe to work. Like I need to pull it halfway down the screen to work which is a long way on a taller screen.

Idk if this is a legit complaint or just me

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spankmeister posted:

I have a new phone, Nokia 8.1. it comes with stock Android 9 (under the Android One program).

It also has one of those longer (18.7:9) screen and compared to my old HTC 10 I get the feeling that the pull to refresh needs a really long swipe to work. Like I need to pull it halfway down the screen to work which is a long way on a taller screen.

Idk if this is a legit complaint or just me

It takes about 1/4 of the screen on mine. It's a Nokia 9, which I think is 2:1 (18:9)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah half the screen is the default, have a look in the Device and Navigation settings menu

Cheers bab. Just to make sure though, are you saying it's white-on-black for light themes, but it inverts for dark themes, so it's basically backwards? Or is it just always black-on-white?

The app doesn't do anything with the bar, so by default it should always be white-on-black no matter what theme. But if the bar is always light on Samsungs, then that's why it's light on dark themes yeah

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Yeah half the screen is the default, have a look in the Device and Navigation settings menu

Sweet, thanks!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

baka kaba posted:

Cheers bab. Just to make sure though, are you saying it's white-on-black for light themes, but it inverts for dark themes, so it's basically backwards? Or is it just always black-on-white?

The app doesn't do anything with the bar, so by default it should always be white-on-black no matter what theme. But if the bar is always light on Samsungs, then that's why it's light on dark themes yeah

Its always black on white, seems to be the default on Samsung for a while now, yeah. So you said the app doesn't do anything with the bar, but is it able to?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

baka kaba posted:

Hrm thanks, I'll take a look!

I can confirm this is happening too, noticed it a couple days ago (when posts by user<1 page it uses thread total pages)

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

My post highlighting options don't seem to be working. I tried toggling them, changed back to the default theme and still no luck. They were working before, did I change a setting somewhere?
Samsung S9.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

WienerDog posted:

Goons Are Great posted:

Thank you!

Bless u both for having/solving my problem within 8 seconds of me opening this thread

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Installing WebView or Chrome doesn't fix it on my Amazon Fire tablet, bizarrely.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

CPColin posted:

Installing WebView or Chrome doesn't fix it on my Amazon Fire tablet, bizarrely.
In addition to installing them did you set one of them as the system webview in the developer options? Assuming developer options are available on a Kindle fire, that is. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon has it set to use some proprietary webview by default.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Honestly I don't know what the deal is with the Fire tablet, alls I can say is with normal Android it uses Chrome for its webview on Nougat and above, if you disable Chrome or you're on a lower version then it uses Android System Webview, and whichever you're using it needs to be up to date, so you're relying on Amazon keeping on top of that I guess?

The menu button problem was pretty recent-ish so maybe whatever fixed that hasn't been pushed out to tablets yet. I don't even know what version of the app you're on though, Sereri did the Amazon stuff for a fun time

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Its always black on white, seems to be the default on Samsung for a while now, yeah. So you said the app doesn't do anything with the bar, but is it able to?

It's not very well documented and involves theming sooooo maybe, trouble is it should be defaulting to a dark bar (even if you enable Light Theme in Android itself) and if Samsung is forcing a light bar so it looks like their old hardware buttons, I don't know if we can force that to change and (I personally) don't have a samsung to test it on. Are you in the beta? Not promising anything but if we do mess with the bar, that's where it'll show up for testing

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My post highlighting options don't seem to be working. I tried toggling them, changed back to the default theme and still no luck. They were working before, did I change a setting somewhere?
Samsung S9.

not working since when? after an update?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gadzuko posted:

In addition to installing them did you set one of them as the system webview in the developer options? Assuming developer options are available on a Kindle fire, that is. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon has it set to use some proprietary webview by default.

Looks like I don't have that setting in my Developer Options because the version of FireOS my (7th-generation) tablet uses is 5.6.4.0, which is based on Android 5.1.1, apparently. I'd complain more, but, hey, $80 tablet.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I think Samsung doesn't let you use a pure black nav bar to help alleviate screen burn-in issues.

Searching around, I discovered this:
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/switch-your-galaxy-s9s-navigation-bar-black-0183505/

You basically have to use a 3rd party app to adjust the color to anything very dark.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

CPColin posted:

Looks like I don't have that setting in my Developer Options because the version of FireOS my (7th-generation) tablet uses is 5.6.4.0, which is based on Android 5.1.1, apparently. I'd complain more, but, hey, $80 tablet.

What version is your Android System WebView app on? 73.0.3683.90 is the newest version, I don't know how Amazon does this though

e- although it looks like you're stuck with Amazon's drop-in WebView replacement anyway, and that only gets updated in FireOS updates. I think the ... button uses some newer HTML or CSS feature so that might be why it's not working in older webviews

Nalin posted:

I think Samsung doesn't let you use a pure black nav bar to help alleviate screen burn-in issues.

Searching around, I discovered this:
https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/switch-your-galaxy-s9s-navigation-bar-black-0183505/

You basically have to use a 3rd party app to adjust the color to anything very dark.

That's a overall system thing though, right? This is more about how newer versions of Android let apps theme the navigation bar, so I guess the question is have you ever seen any app use a darker bar, or even change it at all? If they can it might be possible to force a dark bar for dark themes

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Fork Blink and make AwfulWebView. It’s the only way to have consistency.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

baka kaba posted:

It's not very well documented and involves theming sooooo maybe, trouble is it should be defaulting to a dark bar (even if you enable Light Theme in Android itself) and if Samsung is forcing a light bar so it looks like their old hardware buttons, I don't know if we can force that to change and (I personally) don't have a samsung to test it on. Are you in the beta? Not promising anything but if we do mess with the bar, that's where it'll show up for testing

No, I'm not in the beta.

baka kaba posted:

That's a overall system thing though, right? This is more about how newer versions of Android let apps theme the navigation bar, so I guess the question is have you ever seen any app use a darker bar, or even change it at all? If they can it might be possible to force a dark bar for dark themes

I thought I had seen certain websites do it in Chrome, turning it red or blue or whatever to fit the site's theme, but since I've been talking about this in here i have only seen them do it to the title bar and whatnot. The 3rd party app linked above seems to be doing the trick for me for now with a medium gray, not even as dark as the dark theme let alone the OLED theme, just taking the edge off the bright white is a fantastic relief.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

baka kaba posted:

not working since when? after an update?
I'm not sure. I noticed it about two weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

pokeyman posted:

Fork Blink and make AwfulWebView. It’s the only way to have consistency.

Awful ROM when?