Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Beef City posted:

I agree it's dumb, but it also seems to be "a thing" that's mostly stuck around.
If what you say is accurate, and it seems like it would be, I guess (and this just goes right to 'star wars just doesn't make sense lol' ground, I suppose), why doesn't Palpatine just loving kill Vader himself then?
He made Vader, I'm sure he can break him (he does, after all). Just explode Vaders head like a popcorn kernel in the throne room in front of Luke, who's already struggling with the dark side, and be like "See that? That was pretty loving sweet, huh? You wanna learn how to do that one?" At that point Vader is dead, and luke can sit on a couch and watch the Rebel fleet be destroyed whole-sale and maybe have a cocktail or two and has absolutely zero loose ends to tie up on either a personal or professional level.

Luke needs to make the decision to kill Vader himself, and in so doing accept the dark side and so on. There's no guarantee that this show of force would turn Luke and that he wouldn't just yell and suicide the emperor versus going "oh sweet alright I don't care about my friends anymore."

The emperor wants to put Luke in a position where Luke feels he has fallen and even if he does care about his friends it is too late.

Besides if Luke can't kill Vader then no point in swapping out apprentices.

(personally I think Vader could wipe the floor with Luke if he actually tried - dude has literally been hunting Jedi since Luke was born)

quote:

it's not like Vader is gonna really LOVE Palpatine after this

I don't think it matters really. That relationship isn't built on trust and love to begin with and the whole Sith "thing" is that the apprentice is eventually supposed to kill and supplant the master or else get replaced by a worthier apprentice at some point.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I think this is it.

I agree that the rule of two thing is a bit hamfisted and dumb. Thought that ever since I saw how Malak operated in KOTOR. Like dude you're just gonna purge your best officers that way *shrug*

Malak loses regardless of choice, lol

Big Beef City posted:

I agree it's dumb, but it also seems to be "a thing" that's mostly stuck around.
If what you say is accurate, and it seems like it would be, I guess (and this just goes right to 'star wars just doesn't make sense lol' ground, I suppose), why doesn't Palpatine just loving kill Vader himself then?
He made Vader, I'm sure he can break him (he does, after all). Just explode Vaders head like a popcorn kernel in the throne room in front of Luke, who's already struggling with the dark side, and be like "See that? That was pretty loving sweet, huh? You wanna learn how to do that one?" At that point Vader is dead, and luke can sit on a couch and watch the Rebel fleet be destroyed whole-sale and maybe have a cocktail or two and has absolutely zero loose ends to tie up on either a personal or professional level.

Instead it has to be this complicated last minute affair where even if Luke doesn't turn to the dark side, it's not like Vader is gonna really LOVE Palpatine after this. He's basically shooting himself in the dick for no reason with this plan that goes off the rails no matter almost HOW he plays it after spending his entire lifetime meticulously planning forming an entire empirical coup and learning to become the dark lord of the sith in secret somehow without being detected.

Moridin920 posted:

Luke needs to make the decision to kill Vader himself, and in so doing accept the dark side and so on. There's no guarantee that this show of force would turn Luke and that he wouldn't just yell and suicide the emperor versus going "oh sweet alright I don't care about my friends anymore."

The emperor wants to put Luke in a position where Luke feels he has fallen and even if he does care about his friends it is too late.

Besides if Luke can't kill Vader then no point in swapping out apprentices.

(personally I think Vader could wipe the floor with Luke if he actually tried - dude has literally been hunting Jedi since Luke was born)

I don't think it matters really. That relationship isn't built on trust and love to begin with and the whole Sith "thing" is that the apprentice is eventually supposed to kill and supplant the master or else get replaced by a worthier apprentice at some point.

Yeah, I think it's the choice that matters. The Star Wars movies are hero's journey stories, so you need to have the protagonist make a conscious choice between Good and Evil.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

There was none of this "Rule of Two" bullshit when they shot RotJ so it's not really worth bringing up as a hard constraint of the scene, but yeah, Palpatine and Vader's aims in the climax are only partially aligned in that they both want to turn Luke. Vader wants to do it so they can merk the Emperor together and he can be the boss, and the Emperor wants to do it because he thinks Luke could be a better henchman(presuming he embraces the Dark Side and beats Vader). The plan breaks down because Luke doesn't win or lose, he decides not to play, and the gesture behind it causes Vader to have a change of heart and decide he'd rather just die killing the Emperor to save Luke than live and be the boss

Put another way, Vader can't take Palpatine in a straight fight but he thinks he could if he had Luke's help, and Luke can't take Vader in a straight fight without giving in to the Dark Side, and Dark Side Luke still can't take the Emperor in a straight fight but would probably be down to hench. Does that make sense?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
From the moment she appeared in the film I felt a really deep love for Holdo, mainly because it was awesome to see a femme woman being put into a position of authority after General Leia.

When Poe sees Holdo, he has doubts about her abilities and her intellect, and for me, from the beginning, I felt like Rian Johnson was making a very powerful point about the way we view female leadership. I know a lot of people are like: “Why didn’t she just tell Poe or anyone else the plan?”

Well, the answer is simple: the Rebels, bless their hearts, are bad at sticking to plans and understanding the long game. We see at the VERY beginning of the movie that Poe disobeys and turns off his headset during an attack that Leia explicitly told him not to engage in, that left them with less fighting power and caused many deaths.

It takes very little for everyone to abandon faith in Holdo for remaining calm and sticking with her guns by keeping her plan close to the vest. The reason why is clear—if she had told them that she planned to die on the ship, they would have tried to stop her. Poe would absolutely have tried to stop her because he’s an impulsive person who believes he knows best. That was made evident at the beginning.

The First Order rules through fear and intimidation even though its leaders are loud and incompetent man babies—see Hux’s petty snarls and Kyle Ren’s tears of nepotism angst. Holdo attempts to rule through faith and self-sacrifice rather than aggressive tactics and being totally open. That makes people distrust her because again, despite her reputation, they trust Poe more. Poe who, again, got their comrades killed in an attack that destroyed a warship yes, but also left them unable to defend themselves in other ways. If Luke and Rey hadn’t shown up they would have died.

Holdo was not a perfect character because, in addition to being a character, she was also representing the distrust we have for female authority. When men or coaches talk about having faith and “trusting them” even when something seems out of reach, we have been taught to trust them because their experience matters.

The fact that Leia trusted Holdo didn’t matter to the rebels and that is disappointing and it is the actions of Poe that lead to … more death. So while everyone asks: “Why Holdo didn’t do this?” Why don’t we ask how Poe made it this far up in the military if he has such a hard time listening and taking orders from his superior officers? Poe was wrong and yet somehow Holdo is the one who needed to change tactics?

But beyond all of these things, I enjoy Holdo because she, like Rose, gives women another way to be strong. With her long lavender robe and bright hair, polished nails and jewelry, Holdo show that there are different ways to be a powerful warrior woman. That being so true to yourself and your own style doesn’t make you inferior, the right to be an individual is what the rebels are fighting for. Also if you underestimate her … that’s to your own downfall.

I would say that if you want to learn more about Holdo, read the Leia, Princess of Alderaan book because it introduces a young Holdo and her first words are: “I hope it’s dangerous. I want to get more comfortable with the nearness and inevitability of death.”

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Magnitogorsk. posted:

In rotj at the start of the big final duel scene, why did Vader stop Luke from striking down the emperor in a fit of dark side rage? Wouldn't that have perfectly fulfilled his plan?

Vader doesn't really have a plan. He may "want" to kill the Emperor, but he is totally subservient, to the point that Palpatine even fully expects him to go along with turning his replacement to the dark side. Unfortunately for him, in the end, the Emperor's expectations were subverted.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Unfortunately for him, in the end, the Emperor's expectations were subverted.

:eyepop:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you listen carefully you can hear the Emperor scream "my expectatioooonnnsss" as he falls down the reactor shaft

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

:wrong:

Her team leadership skills were so loving bad she's two steps below my favourite star trek villain Janeway as a commander.

and Janeway legit had mental problems

(or at least Kate Mulgrew supposedly played her that way because it was the only way the character made sense after a certain point)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

Well I mean yeah, that’s the point. It’s an important part of how Lucas sets up the prequel Jedi as morally limited if not outright corrupt. Slavery has always been a big part of the Star Wars universe (think how C3PO and R2D2 are treated, like literal hardware to be auctioned off, not allowed in bars, even though we know they are basically people). How is this compatible with Jedi “for a thousand generations”? The whole question that the prequels are created to answer is essentially “if you’re so smart, how come you ain’t rich” to the Jedi. If they were so good and wise, how did two guys wipe them out? And why would someone genuinely good, like Anakin once was, convince himself that it was right to do so? Answer: they weren’t that good. They — even the good ones like Qui-Gon — let evil go on everywhere, telling themselves it was none of their business, until it bit their asses right off. Anakin being a slave whom they hypocritically free because it serves them is what shapes his whole attitude to the order’s moral teaching.

You're talking about the Jedi as an organization; I'm talking about Obi-Wan Kenobi specifically. His morality is never questioned at any other point in any of the movies. He's portrayed as an upstanding, unambiguously good character throughout all of this, right up until the moment he gets killed by Darth Vader.

Imagine if Alec Guinness in A New Hope was hanging out in the cantina with Han Solo and was suddenly like "oh hey can we pick up a few sex slaves for the journey? We can buy some straw and have them sleep in the cargo hold". That would be consistent with the intentions of George Lucas, as you've explained them. In reality George Lucas has never had a consistent plan and is just a shithead

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Vim Fuego posted:

From the moment she appeared in the film I felt a really deep love for Holdo, mainly because it was awesome to see a femme woman being put into a position of authority after General Leia.

When Poe sees Holdo, he has doubts about her abilities and her intellect, and for me, from the beginning, I felt like Rian Johnson was making a very powerful point about the way we view female leadership. I know a lot of people are like: “Why didn’t she just tell Poe or anyone else the plan?”

Well, the answer is simple: the Rebels, bless their hearts, are bad at sticking to plans and understanding the long game. We see at the VERY beginning of the movie that Poe disobeys and turns off his headset during an attack that Leia explicitly told him not to engage in, that left them with less fighting power and caused many deaths.

It takes very little for everyone to abandon faith in Holdo for remaining calm and sticking with her guns by keeping her plan close to the vest. The reason why is clear—if she had told them that she planned to die on the ship, they would have tried to stop her. Poe would absolutely have tried to stop her because he’s an impulsive person who believes he knows best. That was made evident at the beginning.

The First Order rules through fear and intimidation even though its leaders are loud and incompetent man babies—see Hux’s petty snarls and Kyle Ren’s tears of nepotism angst. Holdo attempts to rule through faith and self-sacrifice rather than aggressive tactics and being totally open. That makes people distrust her because again, despite her reputation, they trust Poe more. Poe who, again, got their comrades killed in an attack that destroyed a warship yes, but also left them unable to defend themselves in other ways. If Luke and Rey hadn’t shown up they would have died.

Holdo was not a perfect character because, in addition to being a character, she was also representing the distrust we have for female authority. When men or coaches talk about having faith and “trusting them” even when something seems out of reach, we have been taught to trust them because their experience matters.

The fact that Leia trusted Holdo didn’t matter to the rebels and that is disappointing and it is the actions of Poe that lead to … more death. So while everyone asks: “Why Holdo didn’t do this?” Why don’t we ask how Poe made it this far up in the military if he has such a hard time listening and taking orders from his superior officers? Poe was wrong and yet somehow Holdo is the one who needed to change tactics?

But beyond all of these things, I enjoy Holdo because she, like Rose, gives women another way to be strong. With her long lavender robe and bright hair, polished nails and jewelry, Holdo show that there are different ways to be a powerful warrior woman. That being so true to yourself and your own style doesn’t make you inferior, the right to be an individual is what the rebels are fighting for. Also if you underestimate her … that’s to your own downfall.

I would say that if you want to learn more about Holdo, read the Leia, Princess of Alderaan book because it introduces a young Holdo and her first words are: “I hope it’s dangerous. I want to get more comfortable with the nearness and inevitability of death.”

yes holdo is pretty much a representation of the 2016 democratic presidential campaign

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

QuarkJets posted:

You're talking about the Jedi as an organization; I'm talking about Obi-Wan Kenobi specifically. His morality is never questioned at any other point in any of the movies. He's portrayed as an upstanding, unambiguously good character throughout all of this, right up until the moment he gets killed by Darth Vader.

An upstanding unambiguously good character...from a certain point of view. He’s a liar who hid the truth from Luke to serve his own ends.

Like really, I’m not saying he’s as bad as Vader or even close, but ESB and ROTJ are all about Luke’s journey taking him beyond merely learning from guys like Obi-wan and Yoda and coming to his own conclusions. Remember, Ben and Yoda both wanted to keep Vader’s true identity from Luke for as long as they could, because they believed Luke was their hitman to kill Vader and cover up their mistake. The idea that he could be redeemed they explicitly condemn, and Luke has to prove to them they’re wrong.

skasion fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 24, 2019

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Holdo never explained why she would never visit the planet Wisk Onsin until her ignominious self-caused destruction

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vim Fuego posted:

:cripes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

An upstanding unambiguously good character...from a certain point of view. He’s a liar who hid the truth from Luke to serve his own ends.

Like really, I’m not saying he’s as bad as Vader or even close, but ESB and ROTJ are all about Luke’s journey taking him beyond merely learning from guys like Obi-wan and Yoda and coming to his own conclusions. Remember, Ben and Yoda both wanted to keep Vader’s true identity from Luke for as long as they could, because they believed Luke was their hitman to kill Vader and cover up their mistake. The idea that he could be redeemed they explicitly condemn, and Luke has to prove to them they’re wrong.

Indeed, he was secretly protecting this boy for his entire life and chose not to tell him that he's secretly the son of Hitler, that truly is just as bad as embracing the institution of slavery (???)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Luke was Bernie Sanders except his portrayal in the movie is from the point of view of Holdo.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Indeed, he was secretly protecting this boy for his entire life and chose not to tell him that he's secretly the son of Hitler, that truly is just as bad as embracing the institution of slavery (???)

He doesn’t embrace it — like modern westerners he thinks it is abhorrent. But he is tacit towards its continued practice. It’s good to save Anakin from it, but it’s too much to save everyone from it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Truth hurts bud. If you ever tell your kid that his dog is going to the farm or replace his dead brainless gold fish with an identical one, you are basically chaotic evil.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Luke was Bernie Sanders

lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Rise of the Skywalkers should be Bill a Clinton again

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

yes holdo is pretty much a representation of the 2016 democratic presidential campaign

loving THANK YOU.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pfffft lol

how many billions did he get from selling lucasfilm? the man could easily finance a space opera film if he wanted to.

Disney got the deal of a century, scoring the entire star wars franchise for a mere 1.6 Minecrafts

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
This will all have been worth it if Poe and Finn kiss.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Applewhite posted:

This will all have been worth it if Poe and Finn kiss.

Oh they'll kiss... other people!

How're your expectations right now?

Are they a little....

Subverted?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vim Fuego posted:

Source your quotes.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Source your quotes.

the Leia, Princess of Alderaan book, it says right there at the end

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

poisonpill posted:

the Leia, Princess of Alderaan book, it says right there at the end

Thst doesn't explain "the rest of the garbage" - Princess Leia, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

KillerJunglist posted:

Are they a little....

Subverted?

[in extremely Hank Hill voice] Bwuhh!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

KillerJunglist posted:

Are they a little....

Subverted?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

He doesn’t embrace it — like modern westerners he thinks it is abhorrent. But he is tacit towards its continued practice. It’s good to save Anakin from it, but it’s too much to save everyone from it.

They bartered for Anakin. They literally treated him like property.

The movie doesn't convey either of the jedi expressing any form of abhorrence toward slavery. They are completely nonchalant about it, like it's the most normal thing in the universe for people to own other people.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cuke Piestalker.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
When you think about, Obi-wan drops his clothes when he dies, right? So then how come, as a ghost, he ain't nude? Where his Obi-wang at? :thunk:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mooey Cow posted:

When you think about, Obi-wan drops his clothes when he dies, right? So then how come, as a ghost, he ain't nude? Where his Obi-wang at? :thunk:

It surrounds us, and penetrates us. It binds the universe together.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
with regards to jedi and slavery in the prequel trilogy:

i never got the sense that they were indifferent to it. in fact, i'll bet there's some throwaway line about how they aren't fans of the system

i just figured they went along with it cuz they were fish out of water, stranded in another culture far away from the republic's centers of power. what are they gonna do? lead a massive rebellion every time they come across a culture they don't like? they're just 2 dudes. they already tried mind control and it failed. outright violence seems a bit overzealous. pretty sure they had some "larger goal" to attend to.

its not even that unusual a thing, to go along with societal norms that you may object too. there are plenty of regressive places in the world today.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see an Admiral Holdo stand alone prequel movie where she wins awards teaching gender studies at the space university.

Make over half the run time actual lectures delivered TED-style. Low production cost, high profit margin. Win-win.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Holdo is not only the worst character in that film, she also represents the worst acting of Dern's career

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

with regards to jedi and slavery in the prequel trilogy:

i never got the sense that they were indifferent to it. in fact, i'll bet there's some throwaway line about how they aren't fans of the system

i just figured they went along with it cuz they were fish out of water, stranded in another culture far away from the republic's centers of power. what are they gonna do? lead a massive rebellion every time they come across a culture they don't like? they're just 2 dudes. they already tried mind control and it failed. outright violence seems a bit overzealous. pretty sure they had some "larger goal" to attend to.

its not even that unusual a thing, to go along with societal norms that you may object too. there are plenty of regressive places in the world today.

anakin's mom is right there when they leave, she's not in chains they could have easily taken her with them. the gently caress is anyone going to do about it?

anakin and his mom are literally the only 2 slaves shown in the entire movie, and the jedi basically buy one of them and leave the other

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Never really thought about it but Episode 1 the Phantom Pain might have been improved with Obi-Wan inciting a slave revolt on Tatooine

Would have given him something to do in the movie at least

Barudak
May 7, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

anakin's mom is right there when they leave, she's not in chains they could have easily taken her with them. the gently caress is anyone going to do about it?

anakin and his mom are literally the only 2 slaves shown in the entire movie, and the jedi basically buy one of them and leave the other

I think the point might be that AJAB

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I’m not saying that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan even should have started freeing all the slaves, it’s just that the fact that they don’t — that they take Anakin because they sense the force in him while leaving his mother behind — is the thing that sets the tone for Anakin’s relationship with the Jedi Order. When he freaks out shouting things like “I see through the lies of the Jedi” that’s the kind of thing he’s thinking about.

One of the first things Anakin’s character says about the Jedi is that he had a dream he became a Jedi who came back to Tatooine and freed all the slaves, and that must be why Qui-Gon is here. But it’s not why, and no one ever does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hello i am a space priest, here to purchase your son and teach him all sorts of new things