Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Starfleet jizz band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'll probably start watching Discovery next week, trying to time a month of All Access to hit Disco, No Activity, and Twilight Zone all at once. Twilight Zone should finish on Thursday, May 30th, so if I pick up a sub after the 2nd I should be covered.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/io9/status/1121080656023388164?s=19
RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

Veotax
May 16, 2006

A Star Trek cartoon aimed at teens is going to be on Nickelodeon apparently

quote:

A new, original CG-animated Star Trek series that follows a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation is in the works from Nickelodeon and CBS Television Studios. The show, to be developed by Emmy Award winners Kevin and Dan Hageman (Trollhunters, The LEGO Movie), and overseen by Ramsey Naito, EVP, Animation Production and Development, Nickelodeon, will debut exclusively on Nickelodeon. The show will be the second upcoming animated Star Trek series, joining Star Trek: Lower Decks, which will stream on CBS All Access.

EDIT: God drat it

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quote:

RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where are groups of lawless human teens existing in the trek universe? Are they from the rape gang planet? This is going to be awful.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Baronjutter posted:

Where are groups of lawless human teens existing in the trek universe?

R E D S Q U A D

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"cartoons ostensibly aimed at kids" has produced some really solid Star Wars content, so I figure it was only a matter of time before Trek tried it too.

:tinfoil: what if Discovery was intentionally low-brow to see if they could market Trek to people other than Trek nerds

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I guess the Clone Wars was on Nick but it took a few years before it started decapitating heads.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sounds more like Star Trek RENEGADES except with a (better) reason to be childish and dumb.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

I guess the Clone Wars was on Nick but it took a few years before it started decapitating heads.

Clone Wars and Rebels were great, and Resistance has been getting good reviews too

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I will only accept this premise if the lawless teens are Klingons.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pakled posted:

I will only accept this premise if the lawless teens are Pakleds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pakled posted:

They are like the rebels from krang's Dimension X, they refuse to join the army

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Clone Wars and Rebels were great, and Resistance has been getting good reviews too

Resistance is pretty bad, but did pull up at the end of the season.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

They are refugees from the planet Edo, wanted for stepping on baby grass and saying swears.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

teens from the Amish colony on Rumspringa

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pakled posted:

I will only accept this premise if the lawless teens are Tamarians.

Darmok's Mom, telling him to be home by eleven, the bitch.
Jalad, buying high-grade Tanagran weed.
Temba, his arms wide. Darmok and Jalad sparking up.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

:tinfoil: what if Discovery was intentionally low-brow to see if they could market Trek to people other than Trek nerds

first, lol at the idea that Star Trek in general is not low-brow most of the time

but second, JJ Trek already tested this and found that yes, 'low-brow' trek has some semi-limited mass-market appeal.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ashpanash posted:

first, lol at the idea that Star Trek in general is not low-brow most of the time

you know what I mean :colbert:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
There is nothing appealing about this brand anymore

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

DS9 doc is coming out tomorrow, it's all I have left to look forward to regarding trek. Maybe it will be a nice thing to watch.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm totally willing to give Trek animation a chance, I just hope it looks better than the SW CGI stuff. I think Clone Wars looks absolutely hideous.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw like 30 seconds of a star wars cartoon once and they made the "necks" of the star destroyers really super long and I just turned it off at that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Clone Wars and Rebels are easily among the best Star Wars media put out in the last 20 years, you guys are missing out.

And Clone Wars’ look eventually improved because Lucas was pouring absolute tons of his own money into the animation, somewhere around $1,000,000 per episode.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I could quickly get past the incredibly dated effects and sets and 90's vibe of Babylon 5, but I just could not get past the art style of the star wars cartoons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Trek Mix
You're delicious
You got 40 percent less fat
Than potato chips

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Baronjutter posted:

I saw like 30 seconds of a star wars cartoon once and they made the "necks" of the star destroyers really super long and I just turned it off at that.

That would have been Star Wars: Rebels, and the reason for that is they’re aping a lot of the original Ralph McQuarrie designs.

Edit: here is a cool little article about it.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 24, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
can't wait for Generic Space Brand III: Revenge of That Guy You Remember

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Just CG some Star Trek branding over old Space Cases episodes and it's not too off.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Felis Catus
is your taxonomic nomenclature
An endothermic quadruped
carniverous by nature
Your visual, olfactory,
and auditory senses
Contribute to your hunting skills
and natural defenses.
I find myself intrigued
by your sub-vocal oscillations
A singular development
of cat communications
That obviates your
basic hedonistic predilection
For a rhythmic stroking of your fur
to demonstrate affection.
A tail is quite essential
for your acrobatic talents
You would not be so agile
if you lacked its counterbalance
And when not being utilized
to aid in locomotion
It often serves to illustrate
the state of your emotion
Oh Spot,
e complex levels of behavior you display
Denote a fairly well developed cognitive array
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 doc is coming out tomorrow, it's all I have left to look forward to regarding trek. Maybe it will be a nice thing to watch.

Tighclops posted:

Emptyquotin for truthz

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The animated show could be fun!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tighclops posted:

That's the trouble, isn't it? For awhile there, Star Trek was something else. A vision of the future, a utopian dream, something that inspired us and made us want to aspire to. Now, it's just a brand. And not even a very good one anymore. :sigh:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Our new god is Orville.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

That's the trouble, isn't it? For awhile there, Star Trek was something else. A vision of the future, a utopian dream, something that inspired us and made us want to aspire to. Now, it's just a brand. And not even a very good one anymore. :sigh:

It's not like every episode used to knock it out of the park, and sometimes even when they'd make a point they wouldn't stick the landing, but they really have commodified the soul out of this thing.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I read every page of this thread since the post about the original try-outs list for TNG roles and not a single one was about the spelling of "Ryker"?

The_Doctor posted:

Patrick Bauchau, an actual Belgian actor would have been interesting. Jenny Agutter as Crusher could have been fantastic.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Wilhelm Pee Ryker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm amused at Bunty Bailey. All I know about her is she's the girl from the A-ha "Take On Me" video, dated the singer, and has a ridiculous name.