Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Raenir Salazar posted:

China banned foot binding though? That's not never.

Yeah I'm sure that the Uighur really appreciate their progressive jailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nonsense posted:

Tsar Peter forced his people into modernity and demanded they join the human race.

Oh yeah that one too, good catch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Don't forget technology and science, I fully believe Luddism is going to make a huge comeback in the next decade, and I want in on that.

You know what's crazy? Ned Ludd never existed. Had a whole biography fabricated and historicized, and less than a couple centuries later it's pretty hard to tell.

Just imagine if that had happened to any other leader figures in history :v:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twice burned ice posted:

Add democracy to the list of things Kerning Chameleon professes to hate

looking at camp fires

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Don't forget technology and science, I fully believe Luddism is going to make a huge comeback in the next decade, and I want in on that.

I encourage you to become one today, by destroying the nearest piece of technology to you.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CascadeBeta posted:

What positive benefit is there for public discourse by allowing white nationalists and bigots like Donald Trump or Steve King or another of the rest of the peanut gallery to have a seat?

Retro42 posted:

Everyone gets a seat.

Even the people we don't like.

That's how fair elections work.

Fair elections would still give them a voice, but it wouldn't be out-sized. Instead they would be more representative of the actual percentage of our population that they are.

Okay, this clearly isn't true when you're talking about Representatives themselves. Every voter has a say (and conservatives and everyone Mayor Pete and rightward can gently caress right off with their felon disenfranchisement), but there are mechanisms by which someone can be expelled from the House or Senate. Currently the process is entirely political and very, very high, which means the bar for losing your seat at table is heinous violation of norms. I'm sure you could think of some examples that would at least convince a Democrat-lead wing to expel a member! It's a valid question as to whether there's any way to lower that bar in a way that allows for expulsion of people advocating for oppression of minorities without opening the door to expelling AOC for "economic oppression".

theflyingorc posted:

The last time we said "what is wrong with Nate Silver" he was terrifyingly, horrifyingly right

There's a big difference between "Nate constructs an election model that makes predictions from data" and "Nate spouts off bullshit centrist generalizations about groups of voters without presenting any data".

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Meiji japan? Revolutionary communist china / Russia? Depends on how you define "progressive".

Techically speaking the French Revolution got screamingly progressive for a while there. There was a black French Revolutionary general (Alexander Dumas's dad): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas-Alexandre_Dumas

None of those started as authoritarian movements even if they were eventually perverted into authoritarian states. They are more object lessons of the dangers of concentrated power and how good intentions do not overcome the inherent corrupting nature of power.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Skex posted:

Yeah I'm sure that the Uighur really appreciate their progressive jailers.

This is a bad argument to cover up you're own badly phrased generalization. I am not the one disputing that an authoritarian government can be oppressive and tyrannical when I and others are pointing out obvious counter examples to your badly phrased generalization, don't double down on it, pull up!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pseudanonymous posted:

That's true in a sense, but nobody has been able to come up with a better system. Everyone knows Democracy has problems, literally half the population has an IQ under 100. Now IQ is largely a useless measure of anything, but even so, I'm troubled that those people get an equal say in who runs the country. And obviously, Republicans have figured out this fact. And if they fight education and health and nutrition and keep those people poor and living on soda and pop-tarts their kids will never get any smarter. But even so, what's a better system? Having some kind of voting test doesn't work out well for minority groups.

Hello sir, may I interest you in some calipers? 200 years isn't too late to revive the Edinburgh Phrenological Society!

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
Can't wait for unironic endorsements of eugenics to pop up in this thread in a few hours

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Some rather serious goes at horseshoe theory going on in here.

Skex posted:

None of those started as authoritarian movements even if they were eventually perverted into authoritarian states. They are more object lessons of the dangers of concentrated power and how good intentions do not overcome the inherent corrupting nature of power.

A benevolent dictator is the best form of government. Humanity is incapable of a benevolent dictator.

I for one welcome Skynet V 2.0 "98% less genocidal tendencies"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

twice burned ice posted:

Can't wait for unironic endorsements of eugenics to pop up in this thread in a few hours
What if instead of people owning land the land owned people.

Extremely woke serfdom.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

So you're anti-vaxx as well?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

twice burned ice posted:

Hey, if they are hateful parents they should be denied their breeding license!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Just going to put this here:

https://extranewsfeed.com/tolerance-is-not-a-moral-precept-1af7007d6376

quote:

Tolerance is not a moral absolute; it is a peace treaty. Tolerance is a social norm because it allows different people to live side-by-side without being at each other’s throats. It means that we accept that people may be different from us, in their customs, in their behavior, in their dress, in their sex lives, and that if this doesn’t directly affect our lives, it is none of our business. But the model of a peace treaty differs from the model of a moral precept in one simple way: the protection of a peace treaty only extends to those willing to abide by its terms. It is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1121090512130387968

We need to invest in the technology needed to get us back to Normal Earth.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Solkanar512 posted:

No, but the fact they're made from chicken eggs means they're not vegan, which is Problematic at best.

also, loving doctors lost my vaccination records and won't boost mine without them

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

gently caress that, Normal Earth was lame. We should go even harder until we get to one of the Earths with talking dogs.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

He lusts for the death of all humans. Anything that accelerates that he supports.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What if the benevolent dictator makes vaccination mandatory?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CascadeBeta posted:

^ Protecting minorities is not facism you disengenious rear end.

Well, you need to think of precedence. Stopping a group of people from having a voice because *insert reason* becomes an issue that can swing back against you too. Progressive people are not always going to hold control, and you can bet the assholes that will have power will use that very same control against others.
I mean as an example we have people like AOC and Omar in office now trying to speak for those that want a voice while both Republicans and other Democrats try to shut them up. Having some precedence moment to find excuses to silence people would be used to silence them because the overwhelming power wants them to shut up.

Everyone has to have a voice or no one will. It's not always going to be pretty, and you certainly don't have to agree with what those ugly moments say, but that's pretty much the way it works. Taking away some group's freedom will become a tool to take away everyone's freedom

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SocketWrench posted:

Well, you need to think of precedence. Stopping a group of people from having a voice because *insert reason* becomes an issue that can swing back against you too. Progressive people are not always going to hold control, and you can bet the assholes that will have power will use that very same control against others.
I mean as an example we have people like AOC and Omar in office now trying to speak for those that want a voice while both Republicans and other Democrats try to shut them up. Having some precedence moment to find excuses to silence people would be used to silence them because the overwhelming power wants them to shut up.

Everyone has to have a voice or no one will. It's not always going to be pretty, and you certainly don't have to agree with what those ugly moments say, but that's pretty much the way it works. Taking away some group's freedom will become a tool to take away everyone's freedom

So mark you down as collaborator scum, got it.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
It’s Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day. If you don’t know what that is, please look it up. It’s awful and our federal government won’t recognize it because it makes Turkey mad, even tho 49 states recognize it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

How do you feel about pitchforks?

As a Luddite you should support them, but as a Frankenstein they are a major threat to you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

InsertPotPun posted:

pretty sure we got here on the Event Horizon

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mdemone posted:

You mean Pol Pot?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

You're basically the liberal version of a Trump supporter.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Silver Nitrate posted:

It’s Armenian Genocide Remembrance Day. If you don’t know what that is, please look it up. It’s awful and our federal government won’t recognize it because it makes Turkey mad, even tho 49 states recognize it.

I will take this moment to also remember the nice and cool things the Ottomans did over the years. I am glad, at least, that Armenians have a home again.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
https://twitter.com/nwarikoo/status/1120962451758100480

Nice friends we keep

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rent-A-Cop posted:

How do you feel about pitchforks?

As a Luddite you should support them, but as a Frankenstein they are a major threat to you.

The monster got lazy, should have preempted leadership of the mob to burn down Frankenstein's lab and spike his head on a pike.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

pretty sure we got here on the Event Horizon

Where we're going we don't need tapes to pee

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Unironically recreating Soviet Russia to own the libs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1121107169196347393

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

pseudanonymous posted:

Leftist, I won't abide being smeared as a centrist of all things.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mdemone posted:

You know what's crazy? Ned Ludd never existed. Had a whole biography fabricated and historicized, and less than a couple centuries later it's pretty hard to tell.

bernie sanders is a hoax

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

theflyingorc posted:

Unironically recreating Soviet Russia to own the libs

I think we're all getting bored with our present failed state and need some novelty in our lives.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Stickman posted:

There's a big difference between "Nate constructs an election model that makes predictions from data" and "Nate spouts off bullshit centrist generalizations about groups of voters without presenting any data".

Yeah, any take on Nate Silver takes grounded in his model having a larger chance for Trump to win than others also has to take into account his laughable punditry during the primary season.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If the government had the power to silence racists it would be bad. Not because racists being silenced is bad, but because the government being powerful enough to silence the racists is bad. Because if the government was that powerful, it could potentially abuse that power to do actually bad things.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I just realized we shouldn't call them Jacuzzi's but "Jacuzzi's monster"
I love when trump does this in real time: "I think Mueller checked my taxes, I assume Mueller checked my taxes. Mueller checked my taxes."

The the next day "But Mueller checked trump's taxes! trump said so!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

There's nothing liberal about his ideas.