Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Endorph posted:

billionaires arent people, qed

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zore posted:

He also killed a bunch of people on screen

He explicitly murders you on-screen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wasn't the shogi girl originally going to be another party member. Interesting that they did a whole new character instead of bringing that idea back

The problem with that is Hifumi's original bit was that of the team strategist, but when Atlus decided they needed to cut back they just took all that and folded it into Makoto. So it's not as simple as brushing off the old plan now that they've got the time to implement her - they'd either have to completely rewrite Makoto's role in the PT's to make room for Hifumi, or they'd have to give Hifumi an entirely new bit that wouldn't make her feel superfluous.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

billionaires arent people, qed

I didn't know billionaires were the only people who took the train in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Geostomp posted:

as joker is the representation of what the persona devs think of as the average player, that's also a net boon for society

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Geostomp posted:

unsuccessfully! one time!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

I didn't know billionaires were the only people who took the train in Japan.

that's the 'off-screen' i was referring to

the train thing is almost immediately dropped and never given any weight whatsoever in the plot, of course people dont care about it at all. it's fiction. people unironically care more about the special takoyaki than the train because the special takoyaki is actually built up and you can see haru's disappointment when she doesnt get to eat it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People get horny for the bad guy in the new Star Wars movies who blows up populated planets in the first one, people getting horny for the brooding bad boy villain is not new at all

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Akechi is anime Ted Bundy.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Unironic lovers of "We live in a society Bottom text" memes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Bishounen anime bad boy gets huge fandom despite being nothing but a piece of poo poo onscreen. In other news,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and furthermore, why dont females date nice guys like me

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sydin posted:

Bishounen anime bad boy gets huge fandom despite being nothing but a piece of poo poo onscreen. In other news,

I can't fault this kind of thing, I will root for Vegeta over Goku any day even though he's a horrible piece of poo poo before Bulma puts a leash on him

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akechi's characterization was the closest atlus came to incisive social commentary outside of the kamoshida arc, even if they probably did it by accident

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And also just, if you're approaching things from a fanwork perspective, stuff involving Akechi would have actual like, conflict and tension and intrigue, which is more than you can say for most any other character in Persona 5 because they're all really boring

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Akechi isn’t real so there’s really no issue with him having fans except that Atlus will now shoehorn him into everything. but that means the games are slightly more annoying now. At least he has a better k/d ratio than say Adachi.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sydin posted:

The problem with that is Hifumi's original bit was that of the team strategist, but when Atlus decided they needed to cut back they just took all that and folded it into Makoto. So it's not as simple as brushing off the old plan now that they've got the time to implement her - they'd either have to completely rewrite Makoto's role in the PT's to make room for Hifumi, or they'd have to give Hifumi an entirely new bit that wouldn't make her feel superfluous.
i'm still amused at makoto being labelled team strategist given how her planning goes (e.g. how she became a member to begin with), and that futaba fits the role more accurately (e.g. the entire near end-game twist)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my joker/makoto coffeeshop au where makoto comes in every day to read the newspaper, click her tongue, and go 'you know, im not saying they SHOULD have shot him, just that when you're being detained by police you shouldn't resist'

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I hope P5R changes Makoto's story so that she doesn't want to be a cop

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is anyone opposed to getting rid of the framing device/the interrogation scenes?

It would cut like 20% of my enjoyment. Being reminded of the framing device after spending a few hours trying to maximize my burger intake was fun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

And also just, if you're approaching things from a fanwork perspective, stuff involving Akechi would have actual like, conflict and tension and intrigue, which is more than you can say for most any other character in Persona 5 because they're all really boring

Haru is actually really good so it's great she's the character Atlus chose to cram into the last 1/5th of the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Macaluso posted:

This

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hated this poo poo in P4 and I'll hate it again in P5

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

this and also that her social link actually has anything to do with her instead of being 90% about her friend who is dating a yakuza guy from a host club

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

Haru is actually really good so it's great she's the character Atlus chose to cram into the last 1/5th of the game.
i actually like haru too but her relationship with most of the rest of the party is pretty boring, if that makes sense

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

DLC Inc posted:

I hated this poo poo in P4 and I'll hate it again in P5

Teddie was hilarious, though.

Morgana is nothing but an annoying creep

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i'm still amused at makoto being labelled team strategist given how her planning goes (e.g. how she became a member to begin with), and that futaba fits the role more accurately (e.g. the entire near end-game twist)

To be fair, she basically takes over as leader after she joins. Joker's silent protagonist nature means he'll mostly follow whatever she says and only control the crew in the Metaverse.

Macaluso posted:

Isn't one of her big goals to eventually clean up the cops after seeing how gleefully corrupt they were with Shido in power?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Xad posted:

Teddie was hilarious, though.

Morgana is nothing but an annoying creep

Teddie was probably a bigger creep than Morgana tbh. Though they're both way up there.

quote:

Isn't one of her big goals to eventually clean up the cops after seeing how gleefully corrupt they were with Shido in power?

Yes but the overwhelming forum culture right now is 'gently caress cops' in any capacity due to a lot of institutionalized abuse and poo poo coming to a head recently.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sydin posted:

More than that, I think people generally give way too much weight to what "originally supposed to be" even means in a writing context. Everything is always subject to change, and 90% of all ideas end up on the cutting room floor. If anything, the interesting part is more that they were able to recycle her character design as an NPC.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The only change I want is that when Morgana leaves and teams up with Haru, that I get to recruit Haru and let Morgana stay out of the Phantom Thieves.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ryuji was extremely Right to poo poo on Morgana

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zore posted:

Teddie was probably a bigger creep than Morgana tbh. Though they're both way up there.

Teddie had creeper humor, Morgana was an incel.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm gonna push Ryuji to the other side of the wall before it closes in Shido's palace

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'm gonna push Ryuji to the other side of the wall before it closes in Shido's palace

steepling my fingers and taking a deep, calming breath r/n

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there's a lot more changes spelled out on mysticdistance's twitter someone summarise them

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

i actually like haru too but her relationship with most of the rest of the party is pretty boring, if that makes sense

That's true. Except for random mementos conversations where it turns out she has an entire hidden sadist thing going on that freaks everybody out that isn't present anywhere else and most players will probably never see.

Man P5R has a lot it could potentially clean up.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

This seems like the most comprehensive list, it is on the reddit though, so beware

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

akechi's characterization was the closest atlus came to incisive social commentary outside of the kamoshida arc, even if they probably did it by accident

the closest thing they did was have it be implied that Okamura wasn't uniquely evil and was basically not doing anything any other CEO wasn't doing

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 24, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This seems like the most comprehensive list, it is on the reddit though, so beware

quote:

Edit 4: Thanks to u/Elisianthus, u/shabonsong and u/Kulzak-Draak for the translation! The boy is named Ikemen (meaning "pretty boy") and says:

And now Lady Ann and I will finally... happy cat noises

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
bold move not making him a catboy