Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

solarismin
Mar 3, 2019

Red Metal posted:

so what happens if you lose the second or third battle?

You go back to the start and have to do the first battle all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Red Metal posted:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Red Metal posted:

I think you know.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, trubbish was the original and it stuck around for a long time before thread title flip flopping became a running gag.

I could've sworn "rubbish" was the original, people were like "why isn't the thread title "trubbish", smh", and then OFS revealed that "What a load of rubbish." was a direct quote.

Then it started changing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JackSplater posted:

Pokemon Reborn: "You're thinking about how much you want to ---- Raven, aren't you?"
Pokemon Reborn: I actually said, out loud, "Oh god loving damnit not you"
Pokemon Reborn: Be strong, Clarence. Be strong for Mother.
Pokemon Reborn: gently caress you. No, but seriously though. gently caress you. gently caress this. This sucks.
Pokemon Reborn: It'd be better if it were more concise
Pokemon Reborn: WE FINALLY GOT THE loving FISH
Pokemon Reborn: Do You Have Stairs In Your Romhack?
Pokemon Reborn: The bEatmstrJ's bathroom of fangames
Reborn isn't a color either
if that pokeball doesn't hold the piss tape I will be sorely disappointed
Some of my favorite things about Pokemon Reborn are [FILE NOT FOUND]
Pokemon Reborn: [Curb Your Enthusiasm Theme Starts Playing...]
Pokemon Reborn: Shut The gently caress Up About Monkeys, You Morons
Pokemon Reborn: It's Not A Fire Emblem Romhack
The Blair Fish Project: It's Pokemon Reborn!
Pokemon Reborn: an industrial Sisyphean nightmare
Pokemon Reborn: lol look at this dumb poo poo
[img ]https://lpix.org/3311904/A Summary of Pokemon Reborn.jpg[/img]
This thread has some really good stuff in it. And unfortunately also Pokemon Reborn
A Miserable Journey Of A Broken Mawuh... and let's play pokemon reborn
Let's Play Pokemon Reborn or a spooky ghost will steal your corpse!
Cease And Desist: Let's Not Play Pokemon Reborn
Let's Play Pokemon Reborn... i guess?
PISS ROOM IS REAL
Lord, Grant Me The Strength TMX To Carry On: Let's Play Pokemon Reborn!
I've made a 6,000 word color-coded document. Let's Play Pokemon Reborn!
I've made several mistakes. Let's Play Pokemon Reborn!
Suicide and terrorism? What trubbish. Let's Play Pokemon Reborn!
Suicide and terrorism? What rubbish. Let's Play Pokemon Reborn!

My habit of not clearing my browser history finally "pays off"! Although the Trubbish one is the first 53 pages, apparently, so I'm betting I missed a couple.

Yep, that's all of them.

For the longest time it was just the original title because I wasn't actually reading the thread, then iospace prodded me into changing it to "trubish" just to see if anyone noticed. Then when we got to the 5,999 word color-coded document, all bets were off.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

LiefKatano posted:

I could've sworn "rubbish" was the original, people were like "why isn't the thread title "trubbish", smh", and then OFS revealed that "What a load of rubbish." was a direct quote.

Then it started changing.

Just so.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So people wondered why the thread title wasn't a pun on Trubbish.

Because it was a direct quote.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Red Metal posted:

I didn't see a save point, did you?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nine-gear crow posted:

Yep, that's all of them.

For the longest time it was just the original title because I wasn't actually reading the thread, then iospace prodded me into changing it to "trubish" just to see if anyone noticed. Then when we got to the 5,999 word color-coded document, all bets were off.

I regret nothing :j:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

iospace posted:

I regret nothing :j:

Nor should you, frankly.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Red Metal posted:

Reborn suddenly ends, with the whole city exploding.

You got the good Bad Ending, Congraturations!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Why would you regret being responsible for one of the few good things to come out of Pokemon Reborn?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Red Metal posted:

You get to run this good and totally perfectly balanced gauntlet again!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Well I just caught up on the most recent update.

Hahaha, gently caress this game so hard.

If even the patron saint of number crunching and JRPG destruction OFSheep has to rely on Rock Slide RNG to make it then you know you made a giant pile of gently caress.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Part of it is that Rock is the type I was using, and part of that is I was betting on Mega Aerodactyl for lack of other fast megas with spread moves*. Rock Slide has 90% accuracy and a 10% flinch rate and you got to see both and how such tiny things can sway entire battles.

If it seemed like the Cain/Shelly fight was a rout, it's because Primaria flinched. If it seemed like the last battle against ????? and ????? was held together with paper clips and hope, it's all because of that one Rock Slide miss at the start let the eight-turn Aurora Veil go.

I kinda hate relying on Rock Slide. I've won games of DOU I shouldn't have from double rock slides, and it never feels clean.

*Gardevoir, Charizard-Y, Salamence, Houndoom, Diancie

Davyinatoga
May 16, 2013
The Hole isn't over yet, it seems. Ugh.

It's gonna be so long and full of poo poo, it'll make goatse look like Sunday brunch, innit?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Satan and his devils wish they'd thought of that hole.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Satan and his devils wish they'd thought of that hole.

There were people who called themselves Satanists who made Crowley squirm. It wasn't just the things they did, it was the way they blamed it all on Hell. They'd come up with some stomach-churning idea that no demon could have thought of in a thousand years, some dark and mindless unpleasantness that only a fully-functioning human brain could conceive, then shout "The Devil Made Me Do It" and get the sympathy of the court when the whole point was that the Devil hardly ever made anyone do anything. He didn't have to. That was what some humans found hard to understand. Hell wasn't a major reservoir of evil, any more than Heaven, in Crowley's opinion, was a fountain of goodness; they were just sides in the great cosmic chess game. Where you found the real McCoy, the real grace and the real heart-stopping evil, was right inside the human mind.

--Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Well, that sure was a thing to come home to after work.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Bruceski posted:

There were people who called themselves Satanists who made Crowley squirm. It wasn't just the things they did, it was the way they blamed it all on Hell. They'd come up with some stomach-churning idea that no demon could have thought of in a thousand years, some dark and mindless unpleasantness that only a fully-functioning human brain could conceive, then shout "The Devil Made Me Do It" and get the sympathy of the court when the whole point was that the Devil hardly ever made anyone do anything. He didn't have to. That was what some humans found hard to understand. Hell wasn't a major reservoir of evil, any more than Heaven, in Crowley's opinion, was a fountain of goodness; they were just sides in the great cosmic chess game. Where you found the real McCoy, the real grace and the real heart-stopping evil, was right inside the human mind.

That Neil Gaiman essay reminds me of this Neil Gaiman essay, which many of you may recognize from SimCity, which leads me to wonder, how would it apply to Reborn? What grotesque, misshapen wretch would represent the city that has become Raven's personal hell? Perhaps after Adrienne's reforms, it's got a shiny new coat, but I can't imagine it would do much to hide the scabrous, deformed abomination beneath. Though, I see it more as a tragic figure than an object of scorn, as much a victim of its creator as anyone else in this awful game. Perhaps if cities could move, as Gaiman suggests, Reborn might pack up and leave, and we'd all be better off for it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

EclecticTastes posted:

That Neil Gaiman essay reminds me of this Neil Gaiman essay, which many of you may recognize from SimCity, which leads me to wonder, how would it apply to Reborn? What grotesque, misshapen wretch would represent the city that has become Raven's personal hell? Perhaps after Adrienne's reforms, it's got a shiny new coat, but I can't imagine it would do much to hide the scabrous, deformed abomination beneath. Though, I see it more as a tragic figure than an object of scorn, as much a victim of its creator as anyone else in this awful game. Perhaps if cities could move, as Gaiman suggests, Reborn might pack up and leave, and we'd all be better off for it.

Oh hey, there was a Sandman story based off of that essay (or maybe vice versa depending on when that was written)! Honestly even if the city of Reborn "woke up," the poor thing probably wouldn't even want to move. It would be so disgusted by what it's seen humanity done that it wouldn't be vengeful, just...why should it care?

subtext what are you talking about im not using this as a stand in for the emotions of the audience

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

EclecticTastes posted:

We'd need a full idea of its history for that. We don't have enough detail to make that call. We see it 'now'. We have no clue what made it what it is in terms of lore. At this time it's just a place. All we know is it started as a temple town, and now is vast and decaying.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Next new thread title, IMO.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Geemer posted:

Next new thread title, IMO.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys i just got caught up and id just like to say thanks i hate it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

ZeusCannon posted:

Hi guys i just got caught up and id just like to say thanks i hate it.

Your avatar and text are very appropriate here.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Isn't that avatar from Uranium?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kikas posted:

Isn't that avatar from Uranium?

It's from insurgence. It's that games take on the alolan form concept for a fire type glalie.

AlexMCS
Mar 1, 2019

Great, now I got the itch to play Tales of Phantasia all over again...

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

It's from insurgence. It's that games take on the alolan form concept for a fire type glalie.

The shiny version is amazing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
What is a Pokemon Insurgence, if I dare ask? This magical world of Pokerom Hacks is new to me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dias posted:

What is a Pokemon Insurgence, if I dare ask? This magical world of Pokerom Hacks is new to me.

From all impressions its "Reborn done right". It had two modes to it, a straight Pokemon story and a knowing, tongue in cheek grimdark one that's more a pastiche of awful teenage romhacks. So it's in on the joke for the most part, opposed to Reborn which is the joke.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dias posted:

A much better Pokemon fangame. Plot's a bit cringey sometimes, but you can tell it's a labor of love and not a soulless cash-in on somebody else's IP and yet other peoples' personal tragedies.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, cool. I might give that one a look later, the fabled Decent Fangame is the Shiny of fangames.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's actually pretty fun to play too, and that's coming from someone who hasn't completed all of the gyms since Pokemon Emerald

It does have some weird performance issues on my decent hardware, though

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They also didn’t feature creep themselves straight to hell like Reborn did. It’s only mons from Gens I-VI, and they very firmly put their foot down on adding any more Deltas (think Alolan forms, but WAY more than the official games) with the last major update.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Qrr posted:

The shiny version is amazing.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The Door Frame posted:

It's actually pretty fun to play too, and that's coming from someone who hasn't completed all of the gyms since Pokemon Emerald

It does have some weird performance issues on my decent hardware, though

I think every Pokemon Essentials fangame has performance issues independently of hardware, because the whole thing is built on RPG Maker XP. Between the software being outdated and not designed to work on modern systems, and the fact that Essentials is another massive script package to make it do Pokemon when that's very different from the sort of thing RPG Maker is set up to do, it never really had a chance. Still, if the game is good enough it doesn't tend to ruin the experience IMO.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It also helps if it doesn't have anything that requires timing or precision to accomplish so the performance isn't affecting gameplay.

Reborn... has things that require timing or precision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It also helps if it doesn't have anything that requires timing or precision to accomplish so the performance isn't affecting gameplay.

Reborn... has things that require timing or precision.

didnt you softlock randomus gym puzzles several times because of the precision required that rpg maker just could not provide