Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Light vehicles (T5-6) reducing damage by 1 to a minimum of 1, Medium vehicles (T7) reducing damage by 1 with no minimum, and Heavy vehicles (T8+) reducing damage by 2 with no minimum coupled with dunking all vehicle invulns in the garbage (outside of things like Ion Shields and daemons, as long as you also dumpster the strat), for example.

Would obviously require some more fiddling with than just that, but the proliferation of invulns is ridiculous.

Problem is then we're back to the previous editions problem of 4/5ths of your army not being able to meaningfully effect the game, tanks taking the odd wound to small arms fire isnt the issue here its stuff having guns that can reliably kill literally everything in the game that doesn't have a stupidly high invulnerable save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Also have an extremely illegal conversion.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

Also have an extremely illegal conversion.

That's loving great and I am tempted to steal it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's loving great and I am tempted to steal it.

Its easy enough, the biggest hassle has been the chest emblem. I've since torn that one off and put another one on but I'm still gonna have to re-sculpt some details.

It was also entirely reliant on being able to get a cheap librarian via peoples conquest subs otherwise it'd be like £47.50 on one mini.

E: Which I shouldn't really balk at when I've lost count of my much my current captain projects costing.

Artum fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 25, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Artum posted:

Problem is then we're back to the previous editions problem of 4/5ths of your army not being able to meaningfully effect the game, tanks taking the odd wound to small arms fire isnt the issue here its stuff having guns that can reliably kill literally everything in the game that doesn't have a stupidly high invulnerable save.

The reason 80% of your army in 7th edition sat on their hands during shooting was the lack of universal split fire. I'm definitely willing to hear alternatives, but right now invulns are way too widespread.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

I'm definitely willing to hear alternatives, but right now invulns are way too widespread.

tbh I've been playing an insane amount lately and I'm not really convinced they are too widespread, the things making GBS threads up the game are like 2-3 giant things with 3++s not so much the random chaff with 5++ or harlies with their army wide 4++ that also dies to small arms fire.

gently caress shield drones though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oh yeah I played a game against Dark Eldar using mainly wolf guard terminators and heavy bolter long fangs. We used better bolter rules and the wolf guard did really well by teleporting onto a distant point with SS/SB and an assault cannon. Got some good lanes of crossfire between them and the heavy bolter squad (who moved nearly every turn burning cp to ignore firing penalties). I lost on VP but annihilated most of his guys so I feel like it was a good field test against a pretty competitive army. Was a good game and thanks to the guy I played being happy to teach I understand the 8th edition mission rules and overall strategy a bit better turn to turn. Looking forward to another game. Long Fangs are workers.

E: I did make a big mistake at the start and confused my wolf lord and battle leader bonuses so they deployed in the wrong way to get the benefits I wanted, ah well!

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 25, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Artum posted:

tbh I've been playing an insane amount lately and I'm not really convinced they are too widespread, the things making GBS threads up the game are like 2-3 giant things with 3++s not so much the random chaff with 5++ or harlies with their army wide 4++ that also dies to small arms fire.

I was talking specifically in regards to invulns on vehicles, so I don't think we're too far diverged in opinion :v:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Gonna jump in on kitbashing illegal conversion chat. Necromunda Ambot + a box of Ork Nobz makes a good Big Mek in Mega Armor (if you don't pick the stupid pose i did here).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Jumpoff posted:

Gonna jump in on kitbashing illegal conversion chat. Necromunda Ambot + a box of Ork Nobz makes a good Big Mek in Mega Armor (if you don't pick the stupid pose i did here).

extremely good conversion my friend.

Has any

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I received my patriot extreme a few weeks ago but not the sotar.

Has this happened to anyone else? Had their badger order shipped in separate boxes?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Speaking of airbrushes, I still haven’t received my Sotar from the Badger birthday sale. I understand it was to take a while, but it’s been what, 4 months?

I was just thinking about this today...haven't received my sotar yet either.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

For me the issue is that I feel like vehicles that don't have an invulnerable save might as well not exist.

Artum posted:

The problem in my opinion is that the weapons designed to take on big targets are also the ones most vulnerable to invuln saves.

Maybe replace the invuln save so that instead of stopping all wounds a successful roll cuts the damage in half, rounding down.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I figure other people may enjoy this. The internet archive has some good old Games Workshop and Forgeworld stuff to dig into.

The last time I tried to get into Warhammer was 2005, and these pages are still somehow seared into my memory:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050203030345/http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/

I miss is the painting, conversion, and terrain building guides on the website. The youtube videos are definitely great, but they only really seem to focus on the painting.
http://web.archive.org/web/20051130210351/http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tau/painting/guela_aux/default.htm

It's pretty great to see these old catalogs. The '80s and early '90s catalogs going around recently were pretty great.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051213012234/http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/darkeldar/catalog/default.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/20051212072021/http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/tau/catalog/default.htm

Are pariahs even in the game anymore?
http://web.archive.org/web/20050923163158/http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/necrons/catalog/pariahs.htm

edit- Forgeworld also has the build instructions up:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050211035137/http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Thunderhawkinstructions.pdf

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
The nid start collecting box is good and pairing the that trygon with a 30 devilgaunt bomb is even better.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Y'all are massively overstating the issue with invulns on vehicles. The problems are a) Knights with a 3++ and b) .....

The reason vehicles without that at the moment are suffering is because of the Castellan being able to nuke 2 of them a turn and probably take 2-3 turns of fire coming the other way, which none of the proposed solutions help with. The Castellan being fixed (my preference is capping knight invulns at 4++, making the Ad Mech strat for top profile 2 CP on a Dominus class, and maybe jumping it like 25-30pts) will do a lot to change that.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Something I just thought of that would be cool but probably not feasible:
Invul saves with bleed through. Instead of stopping everything, a successful invul save would reduce incoming damage by like 4 or 5, no minimum. So something with high damage would still do something rather than just bounce off.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Corrode posted:

capping knight invulns at 4++, making the Ad Mech strat for top profile 2 CP on a Dominus class, and maybe jumping it like 25-30pts

I'd love if they did this. And that's coming from someone with an Admech+Knight army in the works. I don't want to show up at the FLGS and pubby stomp with overpowered bullshit, but I do want to play Admech+Knights cause I just plain love the models.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Yet more cross-postin.'

Stephenls posted:

My concerns about the quality of the OSL aside, I'm quite happy with how these guys turned out, and unless I decide to try to touch the OSL up, they're done-for-now until I apply the varnish, which... will be a while because I'll probably wait until all the Dark Imperium units are done and varnish them all at once, to save on dullcote. Or at the very least wait until I've done the edge weathering on the Inceptors that have languished in an unfinished state for months.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Why not just replace ion shields with void shields lite? No invuln at all, but an additional buffer of wounds before it touches the profile. Maybe immune to d1 weapons

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
It's been two years since I packed up my old ham display cases to make space for my new daughter's bedroom. We now have a bigger house with room for a child-proof office / mancave, and I've finally been able to reassemble most of my collection over the last few weeks along with a bunch of new stuff.

While they can't compete with the quality of many of the models posted in the last few pages, there's surely something to be said for managing to paint the vast majority of stuff I've bought over the last ten years...

Not pictured: A shitload of gaunts & genestealers, two Hierophants and a Harridan that will be tough to fit into the cabinet, and ~2k pts of Biel-tan Eldar that are probably somewhere in the loft.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 25, 2019

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Anyone have a clue where I can find or what I can search for to find old Ork heads that are flat back and not the ball and socket kind?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thanks guys, a lot of that stuff seems hard to find, how much was the battleforce box when it came out? its $200 on ebay/amazon

Wow, I got my AdMech battleforce for around 75 USD at my FLGS. Seems it was an even better bargain than I first thought.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

xtothez posted:

It's been two years since I packed up my old ham display cases to make space for my new daughter's bedroom. We now have a bigger house with room for a child-proof office / mancave, and I've finally been able to reassemble most of my collection over the last few weeks along with a bunch of new stuff.

While they can't compete with the quality of many of the models posted in the last few pages, there's surely something to be said for managing to paint the vast majority of stuff I've bought over the last ten years...

Not pictured: A shitload of gaunts & genestealers, two Hierophants and a Harridan that will be tough to fit into the cabinet, and ~2k pts of Biel-tan Eldar that are probably somewhere in the loft.

This is awesome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

Yet more cross-postin.'

Your models are amazing.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Thanks guys, a lot of that stuff seems hard to find, how much was the battleforce box when it came out? its $200 on ebay/amazon

170$ i think my FLGS still has that one.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

jassi007 posted:

Anyone have a clue where I can find or what I can search for to find old Ork heads that are flat back and not the ball and socket kind?

Pretty sure the only flat-backed Ork heads are the ones from Black Reach (they are flat with a peg that's easy to snip off). All their other plastics (all the way back to RT) have had the rounded neck and socket design.

I should have a ton of those guys lurking about in a box somewhere, how many do you need?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted up the final dude for the first 5 Plague Marines (The Aspiring Champion in the middle), needed someone else with Plasma so he didn't look less glowy than his minions.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zark the Damned posted:

Pretty sure the only flat-backed Ork heads are the ones from Black Reach (they are flat with a peg that's easy to snip off). All their other plastics (all the way back to RT) have had the rounded neck and socket design.

I should have a ton of those guys lurking about in a box somewhere, how many do you need?

I need one for this old boy here.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

xtothez posted:

Fully sick.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

jassi007 posted:

I need one for this old boy here.

Probably should use a nob head and just a bit of green stuff to mate the two parts.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I played Magnus for the first time last night, and then felt bad about it. In a 2k point game I tabled my GSC opponent, while losing 130 points of models. It was a bad game where half my army never did anything.

We're finding it real hard to play balanced fun casual lists.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bucnasti posted:

Probably should use a nob head and just a bit of green stuff to mate the two parts.

makes sense.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Been majorly slacking lately, but finally getting back into the swing of things. Finished up my first Shadowspear dudes, they're pretty cool models with a few tweaks:

Also bashed together this company champion:

Which completes Uriel Ventris' command squad The Swords of Calth:

Apothecary Selenus, Company Champion Petronius Nero, Ancient Peleus, and Brothers Hadrianus and Cyprian.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I played Magnus for the first time last night, and then felt bad about it. In a 2k point game I tabled my GSC opponent, while losing 130 points of models.

Sounds like Magnus did nothing wrong

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Been majorly slacking lately, but finally getting back into the swing of things. Finished up my first Shadowspear dudes, they're pretty cool models with a few tweaks:

Apothecary Selenus, Company Champion Petronius Nero, Ancient Peleus, and Brothers Hadrianus and Cyprian.

That green fuckin' slaps

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
On the subject of conversions, I realized that an old dread I had was actually a modified one from Assault on Black Reach, so I want to honor its years of sitting in a box by converting it to a Venerable Dread. I'm giving it a banner, but are there any other good options for making it more...venerable?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Chock it full of purity seals and scorch marks should be enough.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Give it a big, white beard.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Mikey Purp posted:

I was just thinking about this today...haven't received my sotar yet either.

Alot of Sotar orders got delayed because there were a crazy number of them and they're still manufacturing them. Pretty much all the orders not including a sotar have shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

hot drat.