Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

sooooo anyone else gonna make the google doc? No? Ok guess I will

Nightmare fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

One team member said they wanted to add one figure and would be complete last night, meanwhile I added in a bunch of text with the editor yesterday. Sent a final warning e-mail today calling for content this morning. Guess that final figure isn't going in. Whatever, I have my A.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

One team member said they wanted to add one figure and would be complete last night, meanwhile I added in a bunch of text with the editor yesterday. Sent a final warning e-mail today calling for content this morning. Guess that final figure isn't going in. Whatever, I have my A.

I'm in a three-way for a project with two other dudes right now. Guy 2 and I finish our loads and give some advice to guy 3, who isn't keeping up with us. After waiting for a while we finally just ended up helping him finish and then he just ghosted on us today after we turned in the assignment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm in a three-way for a project with two other dudes right now. Guy 2 and I finish our loads and give some advice to guy 3, who isn't keeping up with us. After waiting for a while we finally just ended up helping him finish and then he just ghosted on us today after we turned in the assignment.

Ok there’s so much wrong with this paragraph I can’t ignore it’s like Tobias Funke wrote it

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A hero, unjustly punished

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Woof Blitzer posted:

A hero, unjustly punished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGf2b1H91JA

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
We're not tools of the mods or anyone else! Shitposting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I always posted what I believed in.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

This is some bullshit right here.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Naked Bear posted:

We're not tools of the mods or anyone else! Shitposting was the only thing I was good at, but at least I always posted what I believed in.

:golfclap:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Shitposters! don’t give yourselves to mods - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who probate you - ban you - treat you like cattle, use you as stress balls. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are shitposters! You have the love of emptyquoting in your hearts! You don’t create! Only the unloved creation- the unloved and the unnatural! Shitposters! Don’t fight for original content! Fight for shitposting!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

EBB posted:

Shitposters! don’t give yourselves to mods - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who probate you - ban you - treat you like cattle, use you as stress balls. Don’t give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are shitposters! You have the love of emptyquoting in your hearts! You don’t create! Only the unloved creation- the unloved and the unnatural! Shitposters! Don’t fight for original content! Fight for shitposting!

GS-14 equivalent posting

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

EBB posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxabLA7UQ9k

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

That was a bastard of a semester. 15 credits/1yr to go.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

y’all floating around 12 units/credit hours a semester or what? I always see people go for 15 or even 18+ and I’m like, uh, there’s a reason not many do that. Then they’re miserable and often get bad grades. Doesn’t seem so lucrative in the end.

For some core pre-requisites they wouldn’t even let you stack them in one semester at some junior colleges because the track record shows that people do that just fail both, if not more.

if you’re not working with little responsibility then ya sky is the limit I guess

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

y’all floating around 12 units/credit hours a semester or what? I always see people go for 15 or even 18+ and I’m like, uh, there’s a reason not many do that. Then they’re miserable and often get bad grades. Doesn’t seem so lucrative in the end.

For some core pre-requisites they wouldn’t even let you stack them in one semester at some junior colleges because the track record shows that people do that just fail both, if not more.

if you’re not working with little responsibility then ya sky is the limit I guess
Yup, exactly 12 if possible.. I took 13 last semester due to the way the units summed up, with 3 CS courses at a time and an elective, and it was pure misery. I can't imagine piling more on top of that.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
It's the only way to fit everything I wanted in and I still missed out. It was harder in undergrad though. I have too many classmates that arent pushing themselves and are worried about job prospects, lack of resume fillers and how employers are looking for a different skillset. I sacrificed some As for B+s but it's been worth it, I should graduate with a 3.5.

I haven't had a 12 unit quarter, that would be straight coasting. I cant imagine a 12 unit semester. Undergrad was 24-30 units/semester along with a large amount of outside commitments and playing intercollegiate sports.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 26, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I think I was taking around 15 a semester for undergrad. For Lawschool it's supposed to be ~13 a semester and for my last year I'll be doing 16 a semester because I'm a lazy slackass.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I did 15/18/21 sometimes because I'm a fuckin' moron.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

21? :stare:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anything over 18 or 19. I know it’s possible, but drat. I’m guessing it’s college dependent but don’t most require approval past a certain amount?

Anyway going back a bit so the pre-requisites had pre-requisites and I don’t think they let you stack those. So, almost a year and a half of just requirements before applying to the actual program lmao. Then every school wants to require some dumb 1-2 unit class unique to their program another school doesn’t offer, or it’s “highly suggested” aka required if you want to even be considered

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I did 21 one semester, which required an override and a 150 dollar fee. Most of the time I ran around doing 18. I did my undergrad from start to finish in 3 years. Then I did grad school immediately after.

It was dumb.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I’m doing 21 right now and my grades are just fine.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I could probably do 9 but 6 and working full time consumes all my motivation.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Undergrad is usually designed to do 15/semester (30/year, 4 years) and grad is designed to do 9/semester (18/year, 2 years) but that really depends on a lot of things and isn't a hard and fast rule.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
We're taking 12 (4 classes a semester) for 18 months in the MBA program, but this summer they moved to a blended one-class-session-a-month bullshit. Nobody wanted it except the administration.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I got an e-mail this morning that the capstone project has changed from partnering with an investigator/sponsor to doing a course on protocol/manuscript writing and making a mock poster. I'm loving pissed because I expected to publish at the end of this program.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I did 12-14 the entire time. I might have hit 15 one semester.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

I did 12-14 the entire time. I might have hit 15 one semester.

:same:

are clinical hours/lab/whatever that’s required for your degree part of the credit hour calculation or nah? Sure didn’t seem like it.

So I guess I took more like 22 units y’know?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Doing all the classes I needed to transfer from CC to the school I'm at now more or less required you taking more than 15 units/semester if you wanted to transfer at the two year mark. My last year at CC was

Calc 3, 4 units
Physics 1, 5 units
Ochem 1, 5 units
History, 3 units

Differentials, 4 units
Linear algebra, 3 units
Physics 2, 5 units
Ochem 2, 5 units

But now I'm taking 12-15 units since it is the only way to do it with how chem classes are offered.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It depends on your program. Teaching for example at my school was 156 semester hours, which is the standard 120 for the degree and the ~36 hours of student teaching required to get certified.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The Aardvark posted:

Calc 3, 4 units
Physics 1, 5 units
Ochem 1, 5 units
History, 3 units

Differentials, 4 units
Linear algebra, 3 units
Physics 2, 5 units
Ochem 2, 5 units

History is cool and a lot of units can be doable but taking more than like two core classes in a semester?

Get real. Miss me with that poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

EBB posted:

I got an e-mail this morning that the capstone project has changed from partnering with an investigator/sponsor to doing a course on protocol/manuscript writing and making a mock poster. I'm loving pissed because I expected to publish at the end of this program.

Find a PhD to partner with and get after it. I know the ones at my school are always looking to publish as long as it's in their area of interest.

The capstone track usually doesnt publish here, that's usually thesis students, but I managed to partner with a thesis student and my advisor likes me so yay, an extra 10 page writing assignment.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Working on it. It's difficult to find a program I can complete while working.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EBB posted:

I could probably do 9 but 6 and working full time consumes all my motivation.

I did full time work + full time school in community college and 1st year of BS but burned out. After that I only took 6, maybe 9 credits per semester. Graduated magna cum laude and without debt but it was a pain in the rear end. Doing an MS now and doing only one class per semester.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Not gonna lie, I might be panicking a bit since the conclusion to my capstone is based off the properties of viscoelastic materials and those are apparently really loving complex and even the materials engineers barely touch them. The chem PhD whose 500 level rheology lecture I'm sitting in on tomorrow doesnt even go half as complex as I need, plus he is focused mostly on paints instead of, say, thermoplastic polyurethane ironed onto a fabric and subjected to cyclic loading.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My capstone for accounting involves me caring waaaaaaaaay too much about Applebee's

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I'm doing 12 and graduating next May, with one summer class.

After that I'll never set foot on a campus again.

Also check out this TED talk, holy poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZBKX-6Gz6A

BigDave fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 28, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

lightpole posted:

Not gonna lie, I might be panicking a bit since the conclusion to my capstone is based off the properties of viscoelastic materials and those are apparently really loving complex and even the materials engineers barely touch them. The chem PhD whose 500 level rheology lecture I'm sitting in on tomorrow doesnt even go half as complex as I need, plus he is focused mostly on paints instead of, say, thermoplastic polyurethane ironed onto a fabric and subjected to cyclic loading.

Wait, why are you panicking when it seems like most of your faculty is below your knowledge level?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Wait, why are you panicking when it seems like most of your faculty is below your knowledge level?

Mostly due to the complexity, assumptions I've made and the need to at least talk through it with someone that is familiar with viscoelastic properties. Plus submission deadlines and trying to get everything cited correctly.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Can you do (assist) research as an undergrad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Undergrad research positions exist but they're comparatively very rare compared to graduate level stuff. If you want to go that route you need to push your adviser for it.