Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
sarnsung is recalling all galaxy fold review units and i guess just trying to mulligan the whole thing and hope nobody remembers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Kins posted:

sarnsung is recalling all galaxy fold review units and i guess just trying to mulligan the whole thing and hope nobody remembers
going to re-engineer it to hold hamburger style instead

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Hotdog in a Hall Sensor

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just giving apple more time to roll out the iphone fold and beat them to the market

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Stymie posted:

just giving apple more time to roll out the iphone fold and beat them to the market

but the iPhone 6 Plus came out half a decade ago

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I can’t imagine working in an environment where everyone is too intimidated/complacent to say “the phone doesn’t work, dipshits”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this is android, half baked gimmicky bullshit is 90% of the feature differentiation, without it you have no product lineup

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Galaxy Fold shipments this year are likely to make up less than half a percent of Samsung’s annual total, analysts and investors said.

0 is less than 0.5% I agree

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

“even though there are screen issues after day one, a terrible plastic screen that doesn’t feel good to use, a physical design that makes it too big for pockets, a ui for tablets that is still terrible that will close all your apps when you shut it, and a $2000 price tag, this device is still enjoyable to use” - says reviewer who didn’t have to pay for the device and won’t ever use it again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm no phone engineer but wouldn't you want it to fold along the long edge so less of the screen has to bend?

qirex fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 23, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
is there a chance the screen could bend?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

qirex posted:

I'm no phone engineer but wouldn't you want it to fold along the long edge so less of the screen has to bend?

the hamburger phone is already mature technology

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

qirex posted:

you'd also want to make it so there's not a gap for poo poo to get in under the screen but apparently no one at samsung thought or cared about that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

you'd also want to make it so there's not a gap for poo poo to get in under the screen but apparently no one at samsung thought or cared about that

if it doesnt ship execs dont get quarterly bonuses

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
pls refer to qirex's famous 8 steps to get rich failing all the way

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

the circuit board's still cracked and broken!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

El_Elegante posted:

the hamburger phone is already mature technology
:hmmyes:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sagebrush posted:

the circuit board's still cracked and broken!

sorry sage, the verge has spoken

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ifixit teardown

quote:

Unlike the dull slabs of glass we're used to, this smartphone/tablet hybrid has lots of potential entry points—and not the good kind.

To achieve the fold, the thin bezel that surrounds (and protects) the screen leaves a gap where the two halves meet. You don't notice it until you notice it ... And then you can't help but "test ingress." Don't try this at home.

This 7 mm gap doesn't seem like a huge deal, but it leaves the display exposed—so should something accidentally enter, it's curtains for the screen. (Oops.)

When closed, the screen is protected—but the spine is flanked by massive gaps that our opening picks hop right into. These gaps are less likely to cause immediate screen damage, but will definitely attract dirt.

It's been a while since we've seen a phone with this many gaps, with the industry trending away from moving parts and towards sealed slabs. It'll be interesting to see how future folding designs overcome these weaknesses.

Samsung says they folded these phones more than 200,000 times, and with this hinge system we don't doubt it. But, maybe humans aren't quite as gentle as Samsung's robots are ...

One thing we didn't find was any hinge ingress protection—those large gaps around the spine let dirt right in, possibly getting trapped between hinge and display.

While it might fall back out again, anything that gets lodged between the fragile display and its hard metal backplate could become a fatal pressure point when the phone is unfolded.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

dumb hybrid folding phablet needs to attract dirt, they have to appeal to the intelligence of their customer base

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

not successfully, my posting friend

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

with gaps like that im guessing elon is going to start using these in the model 3

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they link this preview of the huawei mate x which seems like a significantly saner design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj0eR09MqPM

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
putting the screen on the outside of the phone is better than the inside because then bend radius is larger

but i still expect that phone to break and get scratched when you breathe on it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

only way i can practically imagine it'll work with current tech is if they do just make the top layer a very replaceable separate plastic, so you can change that out once a year or so. the huawei actually does look awesome though, in a way the samsung never did, but probably too early days to work well

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the hinge is hellishly over complicated for something that's meant to see at least two years of daily use while being stored in less than particle free environments

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well, in the way it interacts with the screen sure. as a hinge i don't think it is so much more complex than a quality laptop hinge. it does seem likely that given sufficient protections the oled screens themselves are also fine with pretty much any amount of bending, so it is a matter of not having things get into the sensitive side of the hinge, and the flexible front material which will at least with the huawei design be in a worse position (i.e. the short side when folded will very easily take some hits and scratching against stuff with force)

i think the latter is the trickiest bit by far, these things will for sure be very fragile for a long time, if not forever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk about you but i'm not thrusting my laptop into a pocket a dozen or so times a day

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do thrust it into a bag a couple of times a day, and still expect it'll outlive my phone.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also, other than maybe the surface book, what laptop has a segmented hinge like that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

guess sarnsung knows when to hold em and when to fold em,

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

If I buy this, is there any way it has all the radios needed to work on T-mobile? I'm done with phones that are bigger than the SE.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

If I buy this, is there any way it has all the radios needed to work on T-mobile? I'm done with phones that are bigger than the SE.

hard to tell, the specs I could find of it are from the model being sold in Europe, the verizon one doesn't list anything nor the palm website, if it is the same as the european one it will

quote:

GSM:
850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS:
850, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz
LTE (FDD):
Bands 2, 4, 5, 12, 13, 17, 66

this lists it as having all the lte bands it needs for t-mobile, except the newer 600 mhz one

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Celexi posted:

hard to tell, the specs I could find of it are from the model being sold in Europe, the verizon one doesn't list anything nor the palm website, if it is the same as the european one it will

this lists it as having all the lte bands it needs for t-mobile, except the newer 600 mhz one

Thanks! Do you think the 600mhz band being missing would be an issue?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

600mhz is mostly a coverage boost band, it carries further than the 850/900. If you're not out in the sticks you probably won't miss it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

600mhz is mostly a coverage boost band, it carries further than the 850/900. If you're not out in the sticks you probably won't miss it.

possibly also if you work in a basement or other rf shielded environment if tmob puts up 600 in cities for that reason.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

but also don't buy that lovely phone, i would love it to be good, but the list of potential and already real issues is very long.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

tmobile also has 700 mhz which the phone supports, tmo has 700 mhz in same areas that it has 600 so they will be fine

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Uptime Sinclair posted:

dumb hybrid folding phablet needs to attract dirt, they have to appeal to the intelligence of their customer base

finally a phone that can bounce around in the front pocket of your jorts and that you can also pinch your sack in it then when you sit down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but also don't buy that lovely phone, i would love it to be good, but the list of potential and already real issues is very long.

that sucks, I just want it because it's small

There's 1,000 different Android handheld gaming devices with controllers built in but not one overseas Android manufacturer that bothered to make a 4.2"-4.5" phone with recent hardware? even if the market for it would be small, it's gotta be bigger than the already-saturated market for handheld android gaming devices