Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

MrYenko posted:

a tech demo for some of the features that later showed up on the Gen IV V-8s. Displacement on demand and

V16-14-12-10-8-6-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

V16-14-12-10-8-6-4

more like V16/i8

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Basically an Eagle with a modern, more efficient engine, yes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wesleywillis posted:

V16-14-12-10-8-6-4

lol, thought about that.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Powershift posted:

more like V16/i8

Was that truly an idea of someone? I know that some manufacturers nowadays build something like small V6 with little displacement which they turn off one bank to save fuel (IIRC, Mercedes AMG SLK did or still does this).
But the more (heavy) pistons you have to move without them firing/providing power output, the more stupid the concept becomes.
I mean, I had to witness my old 850CSi going into "limp home"-mode twice (due to either a bad lambda sensor, or a bad mass flow sensor, IIRC the later), where it turns off one of the V12 banks, and the result is less than stellar to drive...(and it still fires the remaining bank with full fuel injection etc., so doesn't somehow cripple the engine even more).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Aargh posted:

I think pigeon holing SUV's as being bought by soccer mums is being woefully unrealistic about their use and practicality.

I remember reading someone's post on here that summed it up pretty well, should car design have followed where the Model T started we'd all be driving SUV's anyway. They're easy to get in and out of, easy to load kids in and out of, easy to load things into the boot, they have some ground clearance so potholes and poo poo house roads aren't a problem and they have a really good vision of the road around them.

Somewhere along the line people got sold this idea that sedans were great but in reality they're pretty poo poo. They're low to the ground, hard to get into and out of and hard to carry poo poo in.

Sure the vast majority of SUV's are poo poo and tout off road credentials that they either don't have or will never use but that's more down to marketing agencies and car companies chasing an easy buck

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Aargh posted:

I remember reading someone's post on here that summed it up pretty well, should car design have followed where the Model T started we'd all be driving SUV's anyway. They're easy to get in and out of, easy to load kids in and out of, easy to load things into the boot, they have some ground clearance so potholes and poo poo house roads aren't a problem and they have a really good vision of the road around them.

I don't really care what people drive, but it's a huge misconception that SUVs have good visibility. Look up any list of vehicles with poor visibility from review sites or whatever and it'll be loaded with SUVs. The height difference between regular, consumer vehicles is so minor that it really doesn't buy you anything in terms of visibility except the ability to see over smaller cars (which doesn't matter if everyone is driving SUVs). The feeling of having a commanding seating position is purely psychological.

Trucks generally have very good visibility, but that's because they're designed specifically for visibility to make it easier to maneuver a large, unwieldy vehicle. SUVs are moving in exactly the opposite direction in terms of design, and they all have giant pillars and hoods for days that totally gently caress up visibility.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

tuo posted:

Was that truly an idea of someone? I know that some manufacturers nowadays build something like small V6 with little displacement which they turn off one bank to save fuel (IIRC, Mercedes AMG SLK did or still does this).
But the more (heavy) pistons you have to move without them firing/providing power output, the more stupid the concept becomes.
I mean, I had to witness my old 850CSi going into "limp home"-mode twice (due to either a bad lambda sensor, or a bad mass flow sensor, IIRC the later), where it turns off one of the V12 banks, and the result is less than stellar to drive...(and it still fires the remaining bank with full fuel injection etc., so doesn't somehow cripple the engine even more).

The overwhelming majority of GM V8s built after ~2008 have this feature. The original Cadillac’s 8-6-4 was rightly ridiculed as overcomplicated garbage, but modern Active Fuel Management (the new term for the same system,) is a proven, reliable system.

It’s also featured in a whole bunch of GM V-6s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

doesn't buy you anything in terms of visibility except the ability to see over smaller cars (which doesn't matter if everyone is driving SUVs).

This right here is how an suv helps visibility. Driving a small car these days loving sucks because I can't see over anyone's hood or through their windows.

It's like driving in a sea of semis.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*badly adjusted SUV headlights the intensity of a thousand suns beaming directly into my retinas via my rear view mirror due to the huge expanse of glass I have at the back of the car*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*badly adjusted SUV headlights the intensity of a thousand suns beaming directly into my retinas via my rear view mirror due to the huge expanse of glass I have at the back of the car*

Isn't part of that due to how US laws work? I remember hearing that US requires lowbeams to be at a specific angle, whereas Europe requires them to be a certain distance?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Here was my baby from Summer 2017..

I sold it fall 2017.. Had big plans but life gets in the way. Someday maybe another one.. Holy hell all of the "interface" items were fragile. Pretty much every knob, handle or adjustment had to be handled very carefully or it would break.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

:discourse:

I was busy lovely my pants for a big chunk of that time, but wasn't the yuppie thing of the 80's also about having stuff with capabilities you had no use for, just to have it? IE, a fancy watch that's waterproof to 800 meters or whatever when you never go near the water.

Seems like it's just a common thread in marketing, come up with some "feature" 90+% of people don't need, and push it like it'll complete your life and the reason you're a soulless empty husk right now is because you don't have the Dodge(tm) Ram(tm) Demon(tm) Hellcat(tm) Offroad (hey Earl, can we trademark offroad?) Cousinfucker9000(oh you better believe (tm)).

How much horsepower does a car really need most of the time? 40? Worst case when you need more is a family of five and their luggage going over some mountain pass.
How much ground clearance do you need? Most of the time maybe six inches, if you live in a place that gets a lot of snow probably a foot or you probably shouldn't be driving anyway.

Point is, it's all subjective anyway. If you like a car, you like a car, and not a hell of a lot of that decision is going to be based on objective logic. If a car is "better" it's based partially on your use case and partially on how much of a soulless husk it doesn't make you feel.

Marketing!

edit: but flip-up headlights are objectively amazing.

boxen fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 24, 2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

boxen posted:

:discourse:

I was busy lovely my pants for a big chunk of that time, but wasn't the yuppie thing of the 80's also about having stuff with capabilities you had no use for, just to have it? IE, a fancy watch that's waterproof to 800 meters or whatever when you never go near the water.

Seems like it's just a common thread in marketing, come up with some "feature" 90+% of people don't need, and push it like it'll complete your life and the reason you're a soulless empty husk right now is because you don't have the Dodge(tm) Ram(tm) Demon(tm) Hellcat(tm) Offroad (hey Earl, can we trademark offroad?) Cousinfucker9000(oh you better believe (tm)).

How much horsepower does a car really need most of the time? 40? Worst case when you need more is a family of five and their luggage going over some mountain pass.
How much ground clearance do you need? Most of the time maybe six inches, if you live in a place that gets a lot of snow probably a food or you probably shouldn't be driving anyway.

Point is, it's all subjective anyway. If you like a car, you like a car, and not a hell of a lot of that decision is going to be based on objective logic. If a car is "better" it's based partially on your use case and partially on how much of a soulless husk it doesn't make you feel.

Marketing!

edit: but flip-up headlights are objectively amazing.

Very well put. I was trying to make this exact argument yesterday with people on a Facebook group I'm in. One of the guys actually works in marketing and I'm thinking, how the gently caress do you of all people not understand how this works?!

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Subaru is pretty much at record sales right now. Nobody has any imagination, they buy them because AWD crossover, good power, and outstanding safety. More and more people tho despise car ownership.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Subaru is pretty much at record sales right now. Nobody has any imagination, they buy them because AWD crossover, good power, and outstanding safety. More and more people tho despise car ownership.

What's not to despise about most modern commuting appliances? If I had to drive a Versa all day every day I'd pray for death as well.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well, they're great for the people who want them, I guess. It'd be a lot more easy to buy an interesting car if the appeal was larger. I'm afraid SUVs are the converging iterative design that's going to be the future of everything. It can't be long before an actual SUV racing league gains traction as a way to sell even more.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I'm crossposting this poo poo because I'm pretty excited about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHdrI_z5PQ

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Liquid Communism posted:

What's not to despise about most modern commuting appliances? If I had to drive a Versa all day every day I'd pray for death as well.

Any car can be fun to drive, if you just put in a little effort.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
I wager in a few years time all cars will be driven by fleet companies or rentals of some sort.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

The finest Italian wedge design mated with a modern VTEC motor. Yes, please.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Beautiful. Holy gently caress those wheels are sexy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is the third different one of these I've seen this week, wtf is going on?

E- oops I thought it was one of these at first
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_3000ME

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 25, 2019

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Restomod best mod. That's why if I ever get gently caress you money, a Singer is probably what I'd get.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KozmoNaut posted:

Not even slightly true. There's plenty of cars that actively resist having fun in and many that are simply not rewarding to try to have fun in in the first place.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not even slightly true. There's plenty of cars that actively resist having fun in and many that are simply not rewarding to try to have fun in in the first place.
You're not trying hard enough.

I used to have fun driving a shitbox ('8x?) Chevy G20 delivery van. It ended up catching on fire.

There are plenty of terrible cars, and there are cars that are objectively better to drive than others, but I've yet to meet a car I couldn't have any fun driving.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

*right at eye level, because I drive a low to the ground car. This is especially prevalent when I was daily-ing my '79 RX-7.

Preoptopus posted:

I think it might be hate for the ironically overwhelming choice, yet not that much actual difference (oh, look *another* FWD jellybean CUV, with either no options, or all of them for twice the price), and the new car buying experience in general. I really hope that Tesla's lead in buying experience, or at least the way they *wanted* it, in the beginning, has some effect on car buying going forward. I hate, hate, hate buying a new car, and I've only done it 3 times. Break the bad dealer culture. It's a sick and twisted industry, dead set on harming consumers just as much as they can get away with.

um excuse me posted:

Well, they're great for the people who want them, I guess. It'd be a lot more easy to buy an interesting car if the appeal was larger. I'm afraid SUVs are the converging iterative design that's going to be the future of everything. It can't be long before an actual SUV racing league gains traction as a way to sell even more.

Everything gets focus-grouped and commiteed to death. Some of the most interesting, if no the best, cars were ideas that some designer or company head pushed through despite "common sense."

KozmoNaut posted:

I have a ball pushing our Kia Spectra5 to it's edges. That whole "slow car fast" thing. I drive that, and my shitbox AE86 faster and more aggressively than most people drive their supposed "performance" cars. It's fun!
That stupid Kia has grown on me. It helps that it's been dead nuts reliable for the last decade.

Solar Coaster posted:

Beautiful. Holy gently caress those wheels are sexy.

Rota Shakotan

(Or possibly real Hayashis Type ST.)

edit: and that X1/9 is sweet. Buddy of mine in high school had one in burgundy. He bought my '78 Fiat 128 sedan after another friend rolled it, because the drivetrain in the fornt of the 128 was the same in the back of the X1/9, other than fuel injection oh his newer sports car. As far as I know it's still rotting out in his field.

edit 2: I drew both of those cars back in the day:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 25, 2019

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

shut up with this dumb argument poo poo about How Drive Car Right and post awesome car poo poo instead :yeah:

Darchangel posted:

Rota Shakotan

(Or possibly real Hayashis Type ST.)

like those nice wheels :yeah:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

yellow is the best color for these things

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

Everything gets focus-grouped and commiteed to death. Some of the most interesting, if no the best, cars were ideas that some designer or company head pushed through despite "common sense."

I think Nissan was the only car company doing "weird" things for a while. The Juke, Cube, Deltawing, GTR LM Nismo, etc. They all ended up being pretty bad, but at least they were different. All they needed was one idea to work well to suddenly be ahead of the game.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

*right at eye level, because I drive a low to the ground car. This is especially prevalent when I was daily-ing my '79 RX-7.

Yeah this was what I was getting at, older car = lower anyway with more glass. Add coilovers and you're sat eye level with the lights. It's loving awful. poo poo even in my GS SUVs and such are the perfect height to blind me using all of my mirrors to burn my loving retinas.

*X19 chat*

Always remember the X-19 was Bertone's prototype for the Lancia Stratos. God bless.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah this was what I was getting at, older car = lower anyway with more glass. Add coilovers and you're sat eye level with the lights. It's loving awful. poo poo even in my GS SUVs and such are the perfect height to blind me using all of my mirrors to burn my loving retinas.

*X19 chat*

Always remember the X-19 was Bertone's prototype for the Lancia Stratos. God bless.

I don't care that the Stratos is technically poo poo by modern standards, I will own one if I'm rich before I'm dead. They look loving glorious.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

weaponize your side mirrors by adjusting them until the person behind you has their headlights lasered right back into their own eyeballs :twisted:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DiggityDoink posted:

I don't care that the Stratos is technically poo poo by modern standards, I will own one if I'm rich before I'm dead. They look loving glorious.

Let's make a deal here. If I get gently caress you money and end up with a Stratos I'll invite you over to come razz it round a rally stage...

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Model S springs immediately to mind for anything other than drag racing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DiggityDoink posted:

This will never not be super good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpzOf4-6GoE&t=96s

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bulgakov posted:

weaponize your side mirrors by adjusting them until the person behind you has their headlights lasered right back into their own eyeballs :twisted:

gently caress me. I've been wondering about this exact thing only with the rear view.

A few weeks ago some fucker either had their beams on or had what ever mad sykk HID lights and was following too close and blinding the poo poo out of me. I hosed with my rear view a bit to hopefully shine that poo poo back at them and sure enough they backed off.

Coincidence, or is there something to that?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Krakkles posted:

You're not trying hard enough.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Really? Me not try hard enough with shitboxes? You *really* got the wrong person there buddy.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Let's make a deal here. If I get gently caress you money and end up with a Stratos I'll invite you over to come razz it round a rally stage...

The Stratos is very much the definition of "Dont meet your heroes, for they will disappoint you terribly". It's a shockingly built turd with the most alarmingly bad erganomics and it will try to kill you. That motor deserves a far better car to live in - don't get me wrong on how gorgoeus lit looks and that motor is something else but....... it really is otherwise utterly terrible.

quote:

Always remember the X-19 was Bertone's prototype for the Lancia Stratos

Stratos came first as the Stratos Zero and was in fact the first Bertone designed Lancia. The Zero was based off a reversed Fulvia platform. The X1-9 didnt really have anything to do with the Stratos.

drgitlin posted:

The Model S springs immediately to mind for anything other than drag racing.

Crash it, throw the guts into something else. Like a Mini Moke that is utterly terrifying to drive. Or a Subaru wagon with a third party controller to go with a P90D driveline and a Prius battery pack that gives it about 80km range at the moment and quite a kick in the rear end even while the power delivery heat issues are figured out. I firmly deny I know anything if those two swaps exist and are currently in working order as daily drivers.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HandlingByJebus posted:

I'm crossposting this poo poo because I'm pretty excited about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHdrI_z5PQ

RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Stratos came first as the Stratos Zero and was in fact the first Bertone designed Lancia. The Zero was based off a reversed Fulvia platform. The X1-9 didnt really have anything to do with the Stratos.

I'll just leave this here.

Gandini designed this for the 69 Turin show, the Stratos Zero was a Gandini design at the 1970 show. It's obvious the above Autobianchi Runabout heavily inspired the Stratos HF design as well as the X-19.