Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Having to take the time out to get a PPI is probably the more difficult bit for me at this point as I'm currently riding around in a rental that I keep extending since I don't know how long any of this poo poo will take. I've taken a test drive of both cars and both feel and sound reasonably fine. Nothing is outrageously amiss as far as I can tell

Call a mechanic you trust and see if they can squeeze you in. Any dealership worth a poo poo will let you drive the car there to have it inspected. It's cheap insurance, don't pass it up. It took my mechanic about 2 hours to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Xelkelvos posted:

Having to take the time out to get a PPI is probably the more difficult bit for me at this point as I'm currently riding around in a rental that I keep extending since I don't know how long any of this poo poo will take. I've taken a test drive of both cars and both feel and sound reasonably fine. Nothing is outrageously amiss as far as I can tell

mate, don't take this the wrong way but: how the gently caress do you know?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

mate, don't take this the wrong way but: how the gently caress do you know?

Usually I just open the hood and confirm it has an engine cover, maybe squeeze the tires a bit, see if the wipers work. Nothing majorly amiss.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not a big car person.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a dealership that specializes in picking up rentals and flipping them

Xelkelvos posted:

Having to take the time out to get a PPI is probably the more difficult bit for me at this point... Nothing is outrageously amiss as far as I can tell

Dude. DUDE. DUDE.

No.

You have two real options: Walk into a real dealership and say "I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive CPO car that is still under warranty" or go on Craigslist and buy a $2000 car that will limp along for 6 months to buy yourself more time.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 25, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Goon in the well spotted.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Goon in the well spotted.

This. Don't let your emotions get in the way of what everyone else is telling you.

I mean, it's your money, but it sounds like you want to make a utilitarian purchase, and this isn't it. They're cheap for a reason.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Even if you get a car that has no abusive drivers, when your new, under warranty car starts working weird, you probably take it in.
With a rental, the drivers don't report the problems until the car is on the side of the road and the owner doesn't really care as the car is gone at 50k and they only make money if the car is being rented.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I feel like a rental minivan would be OK to buy

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Also a rental Prius.

I want to buy a rental Prius, but instead I’m probably gonna buy a 2010 with 130k miles.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FCKGW posted:

I don't. Sure, families would rent them and drive them with a bunch of kids in the car (gross). So would people going on a road trip with a bunch of buds. So would people that need to haul stuff. So would people who are given one when there are no other vehicles available (hello!). I drove one to an customer site doing installation work, dragging dirt and hydraulic oil covered jeans all over the interior and I was being gentle with it.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FCKGW posted:

If Home Depot’s truck rental isn’t available, gvwr is just a number.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Often late at night the rental left in the self select lots is a minivan. Angry business travelers traveling all day wind up driving them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

Dude. DUDE. DUDE.

No.

You have two real options: Walk into a real dealership and say "I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive CPO car that is still under warranty" or go on Craigslist and buy a $2000 car that will limp along for 6 months to buy yourself more time.

The latter option sounds like I'm just shifting the cost of a vehicle to my insurance temporarily and gambling even harder on minor mishaps vs. major ones

But fuckit, there's a CPO car that looks good in my area
https://www.arlingtontoyota.com/inventory/2017-toyota-corolla-le-fwd-4dr-car-5yfburhe4hp710263

I'm largely just in the mood to be done with this and gamble on what looks to be a good deal. The longer this goes on, the more it costs, even if it's just kicking the can down the line, but I'd rather have a title in my hands and a car I like to my name than continue fussing with this.

Also, the last two cars I ended up losing were total losses, one from a crash and another from theft. I didn't even own them long enough to get into mechanical issues. Getting a car that might poo poo itself in a few years is probably not the worst thing given my luck :suicide:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

being "done with this" mentally is how we make bad decisions and how car dealers and mechanics make money

have you looked at carmax because you are the ideal use case for carmax

edit: good gravy that is the absolute worst dealer website I have ever seen

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

being "done with this" mentally is how we make bad decisions and how car dealers and mechanics make money

have you looked at carmax because you are the ideal use case for carmax

edit: good gravy that is the absolute worst dealer website I have ever seen

I've been looking through Carfax from the start. I glanced at Carmax, but I didn't initially see anything interesting. Might be worth a second look

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

They'll ship in cars from other locations, but it could take a couple of weeks (according to the guy I asked).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

being "done with this" mentally is how we make bad decisions

How does that explain goons :V

Edit: the car I posted above turned out to have a cigarette burn in the driver's seat and smell of dank

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 25, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Often late at night the rental left in the self select lots is a minivan. Angry business travelers traveling all day wind up driving them.

Yeah, enterprise trues to pressure me into a minivan every 3rd rental (I rent at least 25 cars a year).
Also, as someone who rents 25 cars are year, the number of 1 year old or less rental cars with under 30k mi I've had with fairly obvious signs of abuse swears me off them forever. The steering is hosed, the alignment bad, slightly weird idles, slightly weird shifts, etc that won't cause issues now, but at 80k? Yeah.
Finally, the neglect is obvious. From cars with completely dead wiper blades to the Jeep Cherokee I had that when hot smelled so much like it was on fire the valet guys wouldn't park it got a "they all smell like that" from the rental car desk. I refused to take the same car, but they clearly wanted me too and totally cleaned and rented that thing to the next person who showed up.

Also, renting cars is way cheaper than a car payment. Call up enterprise and see what renting the cheapest car costs for a month. Then haggle. It will be way cheaper than buying a new transmission on a lovely used rental car with no PPO.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm at a dealership looking at aCPO car, this one was a dealer loaner

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Okay saw the vehicle in person today. It's a black 2013 Highlander Limited with 40,000 miles; He got it for $21,500. It's super clean, he loves it, and it will be their do everything vehicle.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ThirstyBuck posted:

Okay saw the vehicle in person today. It's a black 2013 Highlander Limited with 40,000 miles; He got it for $21,500. It's super clean, he loves it, and it will be their do everything vehicle.

How’s the third row? Legitimately curious.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

dealer loaner

6 of one, half dozen of another.

https://www.carmax.com/car/17161655
https://www.carmax.com/car/17043695
https://www.carmax.com/car/17275855
https://www.carmax.com/car/17275849

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 26, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

6 of one, half dozen of another.

Well I signed for the car so RIP. I won't ever know what's in the mystery boxes of the cars I passed up, but at least I got a better warranty with a CPO car

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this the part where goons start pissing in the well?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

Is this the part where goons start pissing in the well?

Pretend I posted the troll from the piss wizard comic

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Odds are whatever you bought will serve you just fine, especially since you went the CPO route. If you look hard enough you'll always find something a little better no matter what you end up getting, so why stress over it? Congrats on your purchase.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not buying a rental is a great rule of thumb, but in TYOOL 2019, its not a huge dealerbreaker now.

Generally speaking, the only maintenance a new car does in fact need in the first 30,000 miles is about 3 oil changes, and they mostly get done in about the same time joe six pack will do them. Modern cars as a whole require much less maintenance than they used to, especially when it comes to things like lubing individual parts or balancing parts or whatever. And just the rule of averages, even if 1 out of 10 drivers took the car and drove it like an idiot, the other 9 probably babied it.

That being said, you have to be getting at least a 20% discount compared to a non-rental, should be 3-5 thousand dollars that would cover a major suspension service.

Still good rule of thumb to never buy a ex-rental chrysler/fiat/nissan (holy poo poo abused CVTs ? STAY AWAY) and anything that can be considered remotely fun ,stay far away from cars like a mustang,camaro, even a charger.

I'd be fine buying a Camry rental tomorrow. I would take it for a PPO from a third party mechanic though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I had a rental once that required a towel every morning because there was so much water inside that would condense on the windows. Someone obviously had the windows down when it rained hard. You wouldn’t notice that if it was warm outside but that car is going to have electrical issues 100%.

Don’t buy a rental.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

zapplez posted:

Generally speaking, the only maintenance a new car does in fact need in the first 30,000 miles is about 3 oil changes, and they mostly get done in about the same time joe six pack will do them.

I feel that for a rental, that happens within six months. I'd say a significant amount of rentals are specially for long drives (road trips, business trips).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Uthor posted:

I feel that for a rental, that happens within six months. I'd say a significant amount of rentals are specially for long drives (road trips, business trips).

The vast majority of rentals are driven by grumpy business travelers from the airport to the hotel. They aren't exactly abused, but they are in no way taken care of like one's own car. Like I'm slowing down for speed bumps, but less. Potholes? Eeeeh. I would venture to guess you have a lot of cold starts and suspension issues, I've seen a lot of rental cars (not mine) attack those airport speed bumps like jumps.

Half my rentals are like 50mi or less and half are like 400mi, but the later half is mostly because I do a lot of work in the central valley, which has minimal airport infastructure, so I have to drive to Fresno and Bakersfield a lot.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

The latter option sounds like I'm just shifting the cost of a vehicle to my insurance temporarily and gambling even harder on minor mishaps vs. major ones

But fuckit, there's a CPO car that looks good in my area
https://www.arlingtontoyota.com/inventory/2017-toyota-corolla-le-fwd-4dr-car-5yfburhe4hp710263

I'm largely just in the mood to be done with this and gamble on what looks to be a good deal. The longer this goes on, the more it costs, even if it's just kicking the can down the line, but I'd rather have a title in my hands and a car I like to my name than continue fussing with this.

Also, the last two cars I ended up losing were total losses, one from a crash and another from theft. I didn't even own them long enough to get into mechanical issues. Getting a car that might poo poo itself in a few years is probably not the worst thing given my luck :suicide:
What up NoVa buddy! My budget is half yours but the used car situation in DC metro is terrible.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 27, 2019

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Proposed Budget: $35,000 (but lower the better)
New or Used: New or pre-owned certified
Body Style: I'm all over the place, but a 4-door compact, mid-sized or crossover is where I'm doing my research.
How will you be using the car?: Everyday driving and parking in the city. Once a week I commute, but that's about it.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, Size is important, not willing to go to large on the car since I have to do 100% city parking. If I currently drive a smaller car, what is the transition like going to a much larger car? Will I notice a 10" increase? 20"? 15"?

I currently dive a 2008 GTI and I love the drat thing. It's quick, its compact and it has tons of space in the back. But, I have a kid on the way so I'm probably going to need a 4-door, the 2-door is hard enough for people to get in and out, let alone an infant in a baby bucket. Another reason why I love the car is that it's only 165.8″ in length and being in the city, it has helped me get into spaces that I wouldn't have been able to get into otherwise.

Here is what I've looked into...

Subaru Crosstrek - Drove one for a week, liked the tech stuff in it, but there wasn't enough power in the car.

Hyundai Sonata - Drove one for a week. No power, no guts, interior feels "cheap".

Volkswagen GLI - This car appeals to me, seems to have a lot of what I want, but the length much longer than I'm used to at 185.1″. I hear it's basically a GTI just longer.

Volkswagen GTI - Just get one in a four door? Maybe.

Volkswagen Tiguan - Is this underpowered for the size?

Honda CRV / Toyota Rav4 - 180.6" in length, seems to have all the safety and tech features I would want.

I'm basically all over the place and a bit confused as to what to get. Are there any good hybrid options?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you liked the crosstrek, and you like your GTI, get either an Alltrak or a Golf Sportwagen.

poo poo now comes with mad sensors and cameras which does make it a lot easier to park. you'll notice a bigger vehicle but you will get used to it.

the GLI is dumb unless you really, really want a three box shape with a trunk.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I dig my mom's CR-V, but it has a 1.5L turbo engine, which you will find disappointing coming from a GTI, especially if you keep it in econ mode. Great value for all the tech you get, though!

Used BMW 3 series wagons are under $30k. I'm digging mine so far, though it doesn't corner like my GTI.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

obi_ant posted:

Body Style: I'm all over the place, but a 4-door compact, mid-sized or crossover is where I'm doing my research.
How will you be using the car?: Everyday driving and parking in the city. Once a week I commute, but that's about it.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, Size is important, not willing to go to large on the car since I have to do 100% city parking. If I currently drive a smaller car, what is the transition like going to a much larger car? Will I notice a 10" increase? 20"? 15"?

I currently dive a 2008 GTI and I love the drat thing. It's quick, its compact and it has tons of space in the back. But, I have a kid on the way so I'm probably going to need a 4-door, the 2-door is hard enough for people to get in and out, let alone an infant in a baby bucket. Another reason why I love the car is that it's only 165.8″ in length and being in the city, it has helped me get into spaces that I wouldn't have been able to get into otherwise.

Subaru Crosstrek - Drove one for a week, liked the tech stuff in it, but there wasn't enough power in the car.

Hyundai Sonata - Drove one for a week. No power, no guts, interior feels "cheap".

Volkswagen GLI - This car appeals to me, seems to have a lot of what I want, but the length much longer than I'm used to at 185.1″. I hear it's basically a GTI just longer.

Honda CRV / Toyota Rav4 - 180.6" in length, seems to have all the safety and tech features I would want.

I'm basically all over the place and a bit confused as to what to get. Are there any good hybrid options?

Take your baby-carrier with you to the dealers. Try it for size in the rear seat, see how easy it is to get in and out. That seems to be a limiting factor for you.

No matter how nice the car seems otherwise, if getting the baby in and out of the back seat is a pain in the rear end, you'll end up hating it.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Have you looked at a Legacy, Forester, Civic, Corolla, Camry, or Accord? They're comparable to the other cars you've looked at. FWIW my 2012 Camry's doors open up real wide.

The Outback is really long and might not be good for city parking.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

How’s the third row? Legitimately curious.

I'm 6'3" and my wife is 6'. We could do it for a short trips < 15min but otherwise it would be okay for people < 5'10' or 5'8". Not a minivan for sure. On the other hand, we had test driven an E-class wagon and the reverse 3rd seat in that was a totally laughable kids only seat; it was much better than that.

E: New page, here have a stock image 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 27, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Conclusion to my saga to replace my 2008 Prius that got totaled. I bought another 2008 Prius with 89,500 miles for $5800. It’s one trim level below what I had so everything except leather, the front windows squeak when they go down, and the rear wiper arm was missing so he knocked off $30 for a replacement. But the water pump was replaced last year (a part known to fail), the tires have tons of tread, the brakes look really good, and it drives well.

The previous owner only had it for a few months and sold it because he has to go home to Ethiopia. I mention this because there was a scribble mark in the center armrest and he said he was just testing to see if a pen worked. That seems crazy to me that someone would just mark up their car like that while at the same time using seat covers.

I don’t really like this car—it was the pragmatic choice, but I’m not emotionally invested at all, unlike my previous Prius which I loving loved. But I got it for $1100 under Blue Book so that’ll help when I sell it in a few years.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Bring a stroller to test drives and see how it fits in the trunk/hatch. Some cars have weirdly shaped openings, and you're going to hate them for it later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Josh Lyman posted:

Conclusion to my saga to replace my 2008 Prius that got totaled. I bought another 2008 Prius with 89,500 miles for $5800. It’s one trim level below what I had so everything except leather, the front windows squeak when they go down, and the rear wiper arm was missing so he knocked off $30 for a replacement. But the water pump was replaced last year (a part known to fail), the tires have tons of tread, the brakes look really good, and it drives well.

The previous owner only had it for a few months and sold it because he has to go home to Ethiopia. I mention this because there was a scribble mark in the center armrest and he said he was just testing to see if a pen worked. That seems crazy to me that someone would just mark up their car like that while at the same time using seat covers.

I don’t really like this car—it was the pragmatic choice, but I’m not emotionally invested at all, unlike my previous Prius which I loving loved. But I got it for $1100 under Blue Book so that’ll help when I sell it in a few years.

You are responsible and practical. Congrats. Buy yourself a bottle of bourbon to celebrate a good fiscal decision. Or dont.