Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
shrek_fan_69:] hey, weedlord88, sorry to bug u but I need my 1000MM back. my dumbass customers are weak and want theyre money back
weedlord88:] no
sherek_fan_69:] drat that sucks lol
weedlord88:] ikr lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

neutral milf hotel posted:

shrek_fan_69:] hey, weedlord88, sorry to bug u but I need my 1000MM back. my dumbass customers are weak and want theyre money back
weedlord88:] no
sherek_fan_69:] drat that sucks lol
weedlord88:] ikr lmao

:wrong:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zeond posted:

isn't the brave browser also run by the guy who was ran out of Mozilla for being a homophobe and donating in support of california's proposition 8?

from the man who brought you JavaScript

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i want them to remove the 21 million coin cap and see all the bitcoiners cry that this is fine printing infinite money is what the banksters do its fine!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zeond posted:

isn't the brave browser also run by the guy who was ran out of Mozilla for being a homophobe and donating in support of california's proposition 8?

yeah iirc brave is the official browser of chud alt-right / mra / incel types so lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

BMan posted:

how does one procure a quick hit of bitcoin these days¿

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Amethyst posted:

I talked to the coiner about it

he is convinced that using crypto is better than using credit cards because it is "permissionless" in that you don't need to authorise a third party to pull from your account to pay media publishers for content and therefore it will solve the problem of people not paying for news because people will just be able to click a button and pay

I pointed out that paying for stuff with cryptocurrency is in fact extremely hard and managing wallet files is basically beyond all but the most advanced users and he stopped replying
describing a blockchain as "permissionless" is like describing a hot-dog as premium beef. it's a trustless architecture so by design everything must be authorised by many third-parties - no transaction at all can be completed without the permission of those parties involved in securing the chain.

their white paper doesn't even go into how brave is actually going to achieve any of its goals other than parasitising existing advertising revenue - it's entirely predicated on the idea that malware is solely the result of bad-acting advertising middle-men who do this while weirdly also running a legitimate ad network rather than the result of malware authors posing as advertisers to take advantage of legitimate ad networks. their solution is to simply position themselves as the middle-men and pinky-promise they'll make sure no malware gets in, which is the existing regime except because it's now a monopoly you can't opt out of with an adblocker the surface and possible profits of a "breach" are magnified, making them much more attractive to attempt. that's only assuming their platform can gain a competitive market-share in order to actually be desirable for consumers - the reality is it won't and due to this won't be attractive to legitimate advertisers in the first-place

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Amethyst posted:

I have a coiner harrassing me about BAT.

has anyone commited any thought to this scheme? it seems like they have their heart in the right place but i don't understand why blockchain is neceassary at all. Why couldn't they just use fiat?

the "get paid to watch adverts" scheme was done in the first dotcom bubble (except without the cryptomarbles). turns out that "people willing to run a script to fake clicks on 20 copies of their web browser to collect penny shavings" isn't a hot demographic that advertisers will pay big money for access to

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
They claim to be able to detect fraud with a big handwavey thing about "machine learning" which might as well just be called magic

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
What if status quo, but I were the fatcat?

- Brave, and literally every other butter

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

klafbang posted:

What if status quo, but I were the fatcat?

- Brave, and literally every other butter

he started out talking about banking the unbanked and a bunch of high minded stuff, yeah. all t his from an internet ad scheme

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

If brave actually gets popular I assume google will sue them into oblivion.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Bitfinex Responds to New York Attorney General's Actions April 26, 2019

Earlier today, the New York Attorney General’s office released an order it obtained – without notice or a hearing – in an attempt to compel Bitfinex and Tether to provide certain documents and seeking certain injunctive relief.

The New York Attorney General’s court filings were written in bad faith and are riddled with false assertions, including as to a purported $850 million “loss” at Crypto Capital. On the contrary, we have been informed that these Crypto Capital amounts are not lost but have been, in fact, seized and safeguarded. We are and have been actively working to exercise our rights and remedies and get those funds released. Sadly, the New York Attorney General’s office seems to be intent on undermining those efforts to the detriment of our customers.

Bitfinex and Tether have been fully cooperative with the New York Attorney General’s office, as both companies are with all regulators. The New York Attorney General’s office should focus its efforts on trying to aid and support our recovery efforts.

Both Bitfinex and Tether are financially strong – full stop. And both Bitfinex and Tether are committed to fighting this gross overreach by the New York Attorney General’s office against companies that are good corporate citizens and strong supporters of law enforcement. Bitfinex and Tether will vigorously challenge this, and any and all other actions, by the New York Attorney General’s office.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

Bitfinex Responds to New York Attorney General's Actions April 26, 2019

Earlier today, the New York Attorney General’s office released an order it obtained – without notice or a hearing – in an attempt to compel Bitfinex and Tether to provide certain documents and seeking certain injunctive relief.

The New York Attorney General’s court filings were written in bad faith and are riddled with false assertions, including as to a purported $850 million “loss” at Crypto Capital. On the contrary, we have been informed that these Crypto Capital amounts are not lost but have been, in fact, seized and safeguarded. We are and have been actively working to exercise our rights and remedies and get those funds released. Sadly, the New York Attorney General’s office seems to be intent on undermining those efforts to the detriment of our customers.

Bitfinex and Tether have been fully cooperative with the New York Attorney General’s office, as both companies are with all regulators. The New York Attorney General’s office should focus its efforts on trying to aid and support our recovery efforts.

Both Bitfinex and Tether are financially strong – full stop. And both Bitfinex and Tether are committed to fighting this gross overreach by the New York Attorney General’s office against companies that are good corporate citizens and strong supporters of law enforcement. Bitfinex and Tether will vigorously challenge this, and any and all other actions, by the New York Attorney General’s office.

-Theo Chino

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

"the money isn't lost, the thieves still have it"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Amethyst posted:

I have a coiner harrassing me about BAT.

has anyone commited any thought to this scheme? it seems like they have their heart in the right place but i don't understand why blockchain is neceassary at all. Why couldn't they just use fiat?

no, their hearts are in the wrong place

fraudulent claims of partnership with content creators
though they eventually backed down

Boxturret posted:

oh was that the one with the fake donation links?

Zeond posted:

BMan posted:

yes, yes and yes

Brave also featured Vox Day's alt-right Wikipedia clone Infogalactic as one of the search engines you couldn't remove, because Eich wanted it in there - they were told they were fronting for actual loving Nazis, with a citation, but went "lol notabug"

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Qwertycoatl posted:

the "get paid to watch adverts" scheme was done in the first dotcom bubble (except without the cryptomarbles). turns out that "people willing to run a script to fake clicks on 20 copies of their web browser to collect penny shavings" isn't a hot demographic that advertisers will pay big money for access to

alladavantage dot com and a _really_ dumb applescript got me beer money in college while I was sleeping, so i'd say it was a net good for the world imo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Qwertycoatl posted:

Scripts are too expensive ~china, probably

...!
Oct 5, 2003

bartcoin

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

everyone in the house mine the bartcoin

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

it is good with hashing things?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
not really, hashing performance is pretty subpar

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The funds... are safe.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Paladinus posted:

The funds... are safe.

:worng;

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Paladinus posted:

The funds... are safe.
you just love funds

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ghostlight posted:

you just love funds

You are one contentious man, Ghostlight.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

divabot posted:

no, their hearts are in the wrong place

fraudulent claims of partnership with content creators
though they eventually backed down

yes, yes and yes

Brave also featured Vox Day's alt-right Wikipedia clone Infogalactic as one of the search engines you couldn't remove, because Eich wanted it in there - they were told they were fronting for actual loving Nazis, with a citation, but went "lol notabug"

holy poo poo lol

he sent me a big list of publishers who had "signed up" before including the guardian etc. I wonder how many were fraudulent

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

what ever happened to that guy who wrote buttcoin core in JavaScript? while working at Reddit

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Powershift posted:

Scripts are too expensive ~china, probably

it's very sad that fat jony ives is now chaining his children in the basement to watch his ad board for amazon bux

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Amethyst posted:

he started out talking about banking the unbanked and a bunch of high minded stuff, yeah. all t his from an internet ad scheme

ask him his opinion on ethics in videogames journalism, if he uses brave he definitely has an opinion on ethics in videogame journalism

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The bigger question is why you're still talking to this person instead of filling paperwork for a restraining order

...!
Oct 5, 2003

bitcoin abuse report (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 39 minutes ago * by caper72

My personal website was hacked recently and they stole my database (for a hockey pool). They're demanding 0.1 bitcoin in return.

I've accepted that I've lost the database but I added a report to the bitcoin abuse site. I noticed that there's 30 reports to this bitcoin user over the last 3 days.

Is anything going to happen to this user or is just basically just a list of 30 suckers?

I'm so bummed now.

Sorry if this is not appropriate for the subreddit.

edit: all I'm asking is did I just waste my time by reporting it on bitcoinabuse.com?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

they'll get a big scammer tag and nobody will ever let themselves get hacked by him again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also bitcoin abuse dot com sounds like a site where you can buy videos featuring a woman telling you how pathetic and small your bitcoin wallet balance is

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

When I was in college :corsair: we had AllAdvantage, a program you could install that paid you to have a banner across the bottom of your computer showing ads.

Eventually, they made it so there had to be mouse activity every x number of minutes, which is what spawned the creation of mouse jiggler programs.
AllAdvantage found a way to detect that, which I vividly remember defeating by attaching my mouse to a nearby oscillating fan by a long piece of string.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

quote:

Python is a fast language

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

rjmccall posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh

I heard it was close to the metal. It makes sense because snakes are close to the ground (the ground is metal in computers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

I heard it was close to the metal. It makes sense because snakes are close to the ground (the ground is metal in computers)

so the fastest language is classic asp just like classic snakes are faster than like, those weird snakey lizards like skinks