Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when we stop eating meat, we'll be able to convert a vast amount of pasture - and crops grown for animal feed - and that will in turn give us enough to feed everyone

but we won't stop eating meat, because only the poor will be forced to make sacrifices, while the wealthy will be able to continue to use more than their fair share of resources

e.g., the billion people who will be starving by the end of this century will still be starving not because of climate change, but because of wealth disparity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

Overpopulation as Malthus envisioned it hasn't come to pass yet. Like peak oil, overpopulation is a moving target that depends on a lot of factors. I'd say the earth is overpopulated with humans simply given the environmental destruction we've wrought and climate change, which are the results of our rate of consumption (first and primarily in the West, now a big problem in China and becoming one in India). The issue isn't really the number of people, but patterns of consumption.

We can currently produce enough food to feed the world, but for how long given human-caused shifts in rainfall patterns and temperatures? Could we produce enough food to feed 8 billion+ without mechanized farming (probably, though it'd be far more human labor intensive), or without oil products? Can we transition from mechanized farming to non-mechanized while also dealing with climate change?

There is definitely enough housing to go around. There's also enough food right now. But what about in 30 years when we have 40 million (or more, estimates vary widely) climate refugees and far worse degradation of arable land?

perhaps we should help the rich gentrify death row

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Leperflesh posted:

when we stop eating meat, we'll be able to convert a vast amount of pasture - and crops grown for animal feed - and that will in turn give us enough to feed everyone

but we won't stop eating meat, because only the poor will be forced to make sacrifices, while the wealthy will be able to continue to use more than their fair share of resources

e.g., the billion people who will be starving by the end of this century will still be starving not because of climate change, but because of wealth disparity

This is what I point out to people arguing about climate change. The most vulnerable groups of people will be the most affected, while the rich and privileged will be able to protect themselves from the worst effects for a long time.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Admiral Ray posted:

We can currently produce enough food to feed the world, but for how long given human-caused shifts in rainfall patterns and temperatures? Could we produce enough food to feed 8 billion+ without mechanized farming (probably, though it'd be far more human labor intensive), or without oil products? Can we transition from mechanized farming to non-mechanized while also dealing with climate change?

Wait, how did getting rid of mechanized farming come into this? Why would we get rid of mechanized farming? Alternative power sources maybe, but getting rid of mechanization altogether? Are we getting rid of mechanized everything else also?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BeAuMaN posted:

Wait, how did getting rid of mechanized farming come into this? Why would we get rid of mechanized farming? Alternative power sources maybe, but getting rid of mechanization altogether? Are we getting rid of mechanized everything else also?

It's a pretty valid line of questioning in my opinion. Modern mechanised farming relies on a host of practices with questionable sustainability, whether you're talking about fossil fuels, extreme centralization, water resource usage, private corporate land ownership, etc. It is absolutely worth examining whether that farming can realistically be maintained on a long-term scale, what changes would be required, and whether implementing those changes is feasible or likely.

There's plenty of folks here in D&D who advocate the idea that it isn't the population that is the issue, it's just the socioeconomic distributive systems. But those systems are not likely to change, and even with those changes there would need to be a host of cultural and behavioral expectations changed as well. Fully automated communist utopia wouldn't change the reality that we've been methodically exhausting our water, oil, mineral, flora, and fauna resources at an extreme rate. Redistribution isn't at all sufficient, since we're already running heavily in the red.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

If it's meant in a broad sense of "modern farming practices", sure, but in the sense that "mechanized" means the use of machinery to handle many parts of crop prep, planting, maintenance, and harvest, that's another thing, especially in relation to climate change. I could be wrong, but I doubt it's the tractors and harvesters (which would be the mechanized component) that are large contributor to climate change rather than the rest of the practices, and especially when offset by the amount of workers that would replace that mechanized component who are probably taking their own individual vehicles to work out in rural areas (or even shared vehicles). There's also various farm equipment engine retrofitting programs in California to help upgrade farm equipment to be more environmentally friendly, though I couldn't speak as to the efficacy of or how well these programs are run.

That's what I was kind of raising a brow at. There's a lot of valid questions concerning the sustainability of modern farming practices.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

BeAuMaN posted:

That was sloppy language on my part, I meant more so pesticide/fertilizer use, so I guess industrial farming? Mechanized farming isn't going anywhere so long as we have solar/electric/some oil. If we end up rationing oil due to things like sharp carbon taxes then it'd make sense to allow farmers and shipping to continue using oil for fuel.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Ah, okay. Yeah, there's a lot of questions on that.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Sydin posted:

Yeah but did he have a smartphone? :smug:

Funny thing, I worked in the garage during High School (early 1970's). I remember seeing a car phone (radio phone) maybe once or twice during those years (I think the daily parking rate was $20 even back then). I recall the cost of using one was amazingly expensive.

He did write this song about putting a bar in the back of his car though:

https://archive.org/details/78_he-put-in-a-bar-in-the-back-of-his-car-and-hes-driving-himself-to-drink_georgie_gbia0010822b

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cicero posted:

Birth rate is already stable or underneath replacement in developed countries. This is true even in the US, population is increasing just because of immigration.

Really just becoming rich/urbanized seems to work pretty drat well.

Admiral Ray posted:

Overpopulation as Malthus envisioned it hasn't come to pass yet. Like peak oil, overpopulation is a moving target that depends on a lot of factors. I'd say the earth is overpopulated with humans simply given the environmental destruction we've wrought and climate change, which are the results of our rate of consumption (first and primarily in the West, now a big problem in China and becoming one in India). The issue isn't really the number of people, but patterns of consumption.
Malthus was wrong about the limiting factor, but there simply isn't a way to sustainably maintain eight or nine or ten billion people at a standard of living that anyone in the first world would consider acceptable for themselves or their loved ones. Energy consumption and CO2 generation alone is going to do us in, to say nothing of soil depletion, fresh water scarcity, and other ecological factors.

Maybe you could do it through centralized planning of food, water and energy consumption, combined with muscular & intrusive law enforcement and total surveillance in order to prevent waste and diversion. But if you have the power to enact the plot of Judge Dredd, why would you choose the future that maximizes the number of humans on the planet by cramming them into megablocks while the sixth mass extinction reaches its zenith outside the walls?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Following my (Republican) Assemblyperson's Facebook is usually pretty aggravating, but sometimes nets nice moments like this one:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Following my (Republican) Assemblyperson's Facebook is usually pretty aggravating, but sometimes nets nice moments like this one:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
This one, too. Those poor snowflakes!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dianne Feinstein endorsed Biden, lol

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Kobayashi posted:

THANK YOU CALIFORNIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kobayashi posted:

I sure hope De Leon enjoyed his retirement that started 6 months before the election

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m not in the least surprised based on their blue dog alignment but you’d think DECORUM obliges her to endorse Harris?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I’m not in the least surprised based on their blue dog alignment but you’d think DECORUM obliges her to endorse Harris?
DECORUM only constrains people from moving even the slightest bit leftward. You can lurch rightward all you want, that isn't covered by DECORUM.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I have to assume Harris would be pretty pleased not to get Feinstein's endorsement, considering Harris has been trying pretty hard to drift publicly to the left and cater to the young progressive vote, which is a block with a well known loathing of Feinstein.

Not a fan of Harris because ACAB but I'd vote for her in a heartbeat over loving Biden.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

FMguru posted:

DECORUM only constrains people from moving even the slightest bit leftward. You can lurch rightward all you want, that isn't covered by DECORUM.

Decorum means not complaining about rightward motion.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sydin posted:

Not a fan of Harris because ACAB but I'd vote for her in a heartbeat over loving Biden.

Both are gonna lead to an absolute tidal wave of fascism.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean yeah, but who among the Dem front runners is that not true of to some extent? Warren and Bernie I guess? Everybody else is either trying to walk the "I'm one of the sensible democrats" :decorum: line (Klobuchar, Beto, Yang, Buttigieg outside of being very outspoken over LGBT issues) or are paying lip service to the left but have track records that say otherwise wrt how they really feel (Booker, Harris, etc).

Has there been a candidate yet who has signaled any willingness to actually pound fascists into the sand and pack the courts / blow up the electoral college / etc?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

Has there been a candidate yet who has signaled any willingness to actually pound fascists into the sand and pack the courts / blow up the electoral college / etc?

Warren's on the record for getting rid of the electoral college. She and Kamala and Gillibrand and Beto say they're open to the idea of expanding the court, but they all seem wishy washy about it.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

acksplode posted:

Warren's on the record for getting rid of the electoral college. She and Kamala and Gillibrand and Beto say they're open to the idea of expanding the court, but they all seem wishy washy about it.

Access to expanding the court!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Measles outbreak in LA, to the point where we have quarantines at two universities.

I'm sure our schools aren't filled with rich unvaccinated white kids, right?

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
I’m not sure anti-vaxxers are all rich.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Runaktla posted:

I’m not sure anti-vaxxers are all rich.

No, but the elementary school in my city with the lowest vaccination rate costs 40k/yr

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Bastard Tetris posted:

No, but the elementary school in my city with the lowest vaccination rate costs 40k/yr

do not quote massive creep stymie

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Trump must have figured out that the Marin libs were behind it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-measles-vaccination-they-have-get-shot-n998881

Trump on measles vaccination: 'They have to get the shot'
The president spoke amid a big increase in the number of cases of the highly contagious virus.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

VideoGameVet posted:

Trump must have figured out that the Marin libs were behind it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-measles-vaccination-they-have-get-shot-n998881

Trump on measles vaccination: 'They have to get the shot'
The president spoke amid a big increase in the number of cases of the highly contagious virus.

Donald is a well-known germaphobe, albeit one without any insight into science or medicine, so pretty much any of his perspectives on this sort of thing is going to be entirely informed from that perspective.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Bastard Tetris posted:

I know public schools require it, but do private schools require the measles vaccine in kindergarten?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

My home state paper published a list of schools by vax rate and the lowest was a lol list of Waldorf and “Country” schools

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Where can I find some good info on SB50?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jaxyon posted:

Here are two analyses by the Senate Housing committee and Governance and Finance committee respectively that are pretty comprehensive.

e. I'd recommend the most recent one by the Finance committee, which does a better job of breaking down whether the committee actually thinks the bill will be effective or not. Here's an example excerpt:

quote:

3. Sure, but will it work? Local governments have shown that they are nothing if not creative
when it comes to stopping projects that their residents don’t want. State housing law has for
decades followed the cycle of attempting to encourage local governments to build more, only to
see those efforts thwarted by enterprising officials who find a legal loophole, which the
Legislature then closes. While SB 50 grants waivers from some development standards, it
doesn’t make any changes to local approval processes for projects that benefit from an ECI.
Instead, it relies on several of the latest legislative efforts to clamp down on gamesmanship by
local governments. These include SB 35 (Wiener, 2017), which established a streamlined
approval process for developments that are consistent with objective development standards and
meet other stringent requirements, and recent changes to strengthen the Housing Accountability
Act, which prohibits local governments from denying housing projects that are consistent with
local development policies. These policies are relatively untested, and SB 50 explicitly provides
that local approval processes still apply. If history is any guide, local officials may find other
ways around them to avoid approving denser projects, even with the changes to local zoning that
SB 50 provides.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 29, 2019

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

What Sydin linked. Analysis is prepared for when a bill goes to committee (and maybe floor also?). Hit the Text tab to read the bill (the blue is addition, red strike through is removal. On the text page this reflects changes made via amendment from the last version of the bill. You can change the version on the top right pulldown. Today's Law as Amended tab gives you a look at how the current version will fit into surrounding statutes that it will occupy and also what it will remove/change. History tab shows you past actions, but I usually check Status tab which shows the last 5 actions and how far it is down the path towards being sent to the governor.

If you sign up for an account, you can also Track the Bill, and you'll get e-mail updates for specific actions when the bill moves (It doesn't track everything, but it tracks most actions). If you're feeling really nerdy you can lookup the videos for the hearing that the bill was voted on, and watch the testimony given by author, proponents and opponents, as well as comments by the committee. However, it's usually a 3-5 hours video and there's no tags as to when a particular bill is heard usually, so you have to skip around a lot.
Edit:
Senate Housing Committee on 4/2: https://www.senate.ca.gov/media/senate-housing-committee-20190402/video
Senate Governance and Finance Committee on 4/24: https://www.senate.ca.gov/media/senate-governance-finance-committee-20190424/video
My internet is poo poo, so I'm not going to find where they talk about the bill in either of those.

That's more or less what I learned when trying to track bills in California. The analysis that's prepared won't give everything on a bill but it will give a pretty decent overview of what proponents/opponents are arguing, along with changes it would make relevant to that committee that the analysis was prepared for. It's fairly thorough, as far as executive overview type stuff is and the timeline that said committee lawyers have to prepare the analysis in.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 30, 2019

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jaxyon posted:

Cam Newton didn't want it enough, OP

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Hey dudes, looks like thanks to all this unseasonal wet weather the Oroville Dam is near capacity again. Fun times ahead!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s fine, they have a brand new spillway to use.

Better hope the crumbling gate structure is up to the task tho!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

It’s fine, they have a brand new spillway to use.

Better hope the crumbling gate structure is up to the task tho!

Don't worry, the Prado Dam spillway in my area of SoCal was recently just determined to also be crumbling and could take out Disneyland if it failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

FCKGW posted:

Don't worry, the Prado Dam spillway in my area of SoCal was recently just determined to also be crumbling and could take out Disneyland if it failed.

ugh i don't want anything to happen to this area but i mean in the darkest parts of my soul disneyland being destroyed is instinctively enticing....