Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Yeah, I said, magic stone disease. But he doesn't die from it, does he?

It’s expanded upon a lot more in the books. There’s literal leper colonies that try to murder you and your boat friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

No. The girl doesn't either. They do visit a leper colony though.

Sorry, I'm not disagreeing with your point at all. Fantasy is sanitized.

And logically it's a magic disease, so if you subtract magic from the world it would be gone. And I think that's how people inevitably think about the past. It's like some show, without the magic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TulliusCicero posted:

Kansas seems like it is fed up with the GOP turning their state into a shithole, good for them

Become the blue bastion in the sea of red Kansas! :3:

Let’s work on protecting dem gains and making more in 2020!

Doctor Butts posted:

I think a not insignificant amount of the 'liberal' anti-vaxers aren't liberal at all. They are just assumed to be because they have hippie/new age views that have been stereotyped as liberal.

Many of them are actually quite racist and totally open to the right strain of cryptofascism. That’s how you get people like my vegan boomer aunt + uncle who looove astrology and eastern mysticism and haaaate Obama and doooon’t believe in climate change.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Fitzy Fitz posted:

This is a good point, and not to get all :actually: on you, but :actually: fantasy leprosy is a pretty big plot point in GoT

My fantasy leprosy team sucks this year.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Embotronic/status/1121143088213319681

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1121791829014265856

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1121699872737042432

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/status/1121751041387704320

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

My fantasy leprosy team sucks this year.

Jesus clears waivers in a few days. He should be able to lend a helping hand. Or a few of them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Incestuous is not a strong enough word for Trump's insane "audience/basically co-owner" relationship with Fox News

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i love that this dipshit is tanking his own loving party. sure they are going to another lovely party but lol.

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

JonathonSpectre posted:

Hey one last bit of scum-fuckery: To get the local discount ($4.00 one way) you have to make 21 trips across the bridge each month. Why such a strange number? I'll let you figure it out but I'll give you a hint. Lots of people who live on the poor side of the bridge cross it to work on the rich side of the bridge every workday of the month...

Wouldn't they still qualify since they cross the bridge twice per day? Or is it 21 trips each way to get the discount?

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Lee is burning in that special part of hell maintained for traitors and oathbreakers.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I think one of the causes of many modern social maladies is a rewriting of the past. Nobody dies in Game of Thrones of diseases that I can recall, on guy coughs to death, and another guy gets a magic stone disease, but kids aren't dying from the measles or the sweating sickness. You don't see that stuff in Tolkien or I'd guess Vikings.

People have this rosy view of the past foisted on them that allows them to discount the benefits of modern medicine, and by extension, science.

Even in America, you only have to go back to ~1900 for infectious diseases to be the primary cause of death.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
I don't see any problem with the "party of Lincoln" celebrating Robert E Lee. It's not like they had anything to do with each other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The medical community’s understanding of autism is extremely recent. When I was a kid in the 1990s my parents knew I was different but nobody could really tell what it was. I was not diagnosed by a professional with Asperger’s until I was 27. I’m at least glad that kids now will have a chance of getting help if they need it since our understanding of autism is light years better than just a few decades ago.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

pseudanonymous posted:

I think one of the causes of many modern social maladies is a rewriting of the past. Nobody dies in Game of Thrones of diseases that I can recall, on guy coughs to death, and another guy gets a magic stone disease, but kids aren't dying from the measles or the sweating sickness. You don't see that stuff in Tolkien or I'd guess Vikings.

People have this rosy view of the past foisted on them that allows them to discount the benefits of modern medicine, and by extension, science.

Human beings are very good at rationalization. Of thinking ourselves to yes on any particular subject that aligns with our desires. It's why otherwise good people do lovely things like cheat or steel. Having an autistic child is a serious reality check and it sucks, because on the one hand you love your child and want the best for them but on the other there's never a respite. Our household is limited to a single income because one of us has to be free to go at the drop of a hat if the school calls. We've had multiple interactions with the police and CPS, my son has been hospitalized multiple times after threatening suicide. I had to ask off work once when he was 7 because he'd told the teacher that I stabbed him in the stomach. I worry constantly about him, he's a 6'4" 300lb and growing 15 year old with a near uncontrollable temper when he gets wound up, he's smart as a whip but also incredibly dumb when it comes to dealing with people and social situations because of the way he's wired, and it's impossible to know at any given time whether he's acting out as a result of his condition or because he's smart enough to use it to manipulate situations to get what he wants. I worry that he's going to mouth off to the wrong person or get bellicose with a cop because you wouldn't know from looking at him that he's a giant sweet wimp.

He's totally literal, completely incapable of learning tasks through observation too impatient to learn how to do most things that don't involve video games because of that whole incapable of learning tasks through observation. We end up having to step by step teach him things that most people pick up just through observation or experiment. Like step by step this is how you wash your hands, turn on the water, check the temperature, adjust the temperature, wet your hands like this, put soap on like this, rub them together like this, rinse them off until the soap is all gone , turn off the water, dry your hands, no don't pat the towel with your hand do it like this. Of course like most human beings he's lazy and would far rather everything be done for him so it's hard to know how much of his "incompetence" is real and how much is feigned.

I could go on for pages on how raising him stresses our lives, how realizing that he's different I had to come to terms with and adjust my own expectations for him and his future, as a parent you always hope that your child will turn out better than you are, more successful and happier and it's a hard thing to accept that not homeless starving or dead as a measure for success rather than a minimum expectation.

The point being that I totally get why it's tempting as a parent with an autistic child to want an explanation a "why" for why the gently caress is this happening to me? And yeah you feel guilty for even thinking that because you aren't supposed to resent your children, but I promise you that most if not all parents in my situation have had those dark thoughts on whether it wouldn't be better if that kid you love with all of your heart had never been born or how much easier life would be if he could make good on his suicide threats because you know that no matter how good a job you do as a parent. No matter how much help you can get them they will never quite fit in and they know it and it hurts them. My son desperately wants friends but his behavior is such that he pushes people away and it breaks my heart I try to help him understand and moderate his behavior in ways that will help him with that but when he gets wound up he can't ratchet it back the way most of us are capable of and will do and say things that people just don't and shouldn't have to suffer through which of course then sets off the whole guilt cycle of "no one likes me because I'm horrible and I wish I was dead".

So yeah I totally get why people would want someone or something to blame. Someplace other than our child to focus our ire and frustrations and turn our powers of rationalization towards the problem and reach irrational but comforting conclusions. I mean hell that's how religion came about, coping with the reality that life is short and brutal and finite, I mean we're all a little crazy, it's the curse of consciousness and sentience. The curse of the knowledge of ones mortality the awareness of time and memory and the ultimate futility of it all that at some point in the future all of us, the entirety of humanity and our collective experience and knowledge will be gone and forgotten like we never existed. Is it any wonder that we're hosed up and come up with rationalizations to try and make some sense of it all so we don't descend into a death spiral of Nihilism?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The expansion of autism to include the spectrum has unintentionally minimized my family’s struggle. My brother, who will never live without assistance and turns 39 in July, has been essentially erased by the advent of “neurodiversity” as a concept.

Anti-vaxxers claim to be on my side, right until they find out he and I were vaccinated in the same batch. And I am definitely just an angry old goon. So since my reality contradicts their beliefs, I stop existing too. It’s neat.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Grape posted:

Oh cool, I'm not entirely sure but my wife and I might have qualified for the free state returns.
Cool! Very cool! gently caress these assholes.

There are a bunch of free file services online and they're all listed at irs.gov, which apparently is not the place people are checking for tax information.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Cactrot posted:

There are a bunch of free file services online and they're all listed at irs.gov, which apparently is not the place people are checking for tax information.
I blame the ALGORITHM

But, like, sincerely and unironically.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

Those simply link to Free File Alliance partners like TurboTax, who then make the process of actually using their free product as difficult as possible, while continually upselling their paid-for products and addons.

Why do you think they fought so hard to prevent the IRS from developing their own service that competes with products the private partners are ostensibly providing for free? Do you think it's out of the goodness of their hearts?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
vaguely related, amazon likes to hide its discount page for prime away from the search engines and its own site map, same with their warehouse/refib product branches.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I paid tax companies $40 a year to file state taxes before I found out my state had online tax filing for free.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The expansion of autism to include the spectrum has unintentionally minimized my family’s struggle. My brother, who will never live without assistance and turns 39 in July, has been essentially erased by the advent of “neurodiversity” as a concept.

Anti-vaxxers claim to be on my side, right until they find out he and I were vaccinated in the same batch. And I am definitely just an angry old goon. So since my reality contradicts their beliefs, I stop existing too. It’s neat.

Yeah, I've worked with low-functioning kids on the spectrum and I'm leary of the neurodiversity movement because of it. Maybe part of it is being a filthy old who isn't connected to their community in the same way but when they are talking about the weird awkward kid in Math class and I'm talking about a kid who will FLIP HIS poo poo and self-harm if the store runs out of his preferred snack food, we're not really talking about the same thing even if they are both on the spectrum.

Edit: I've had a 'neurodiversity' person explain to me that the therapeutic technique I practiced (ABA) was abuse and all I could think was "Yeah but when the alternative is a kid slamming their head into a wall repeatedly, is it really though?"

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 26, 2019

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1121856610912100352

This loving country, I swear

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

pseudanonymous posted:

Khal Drogo.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Almost 2/3 of "independents" polled think we shouldn't impeach. This loving country indeed :sigh:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I'd like to see the wording on... all of those but especially impeach

because I guarantee you there's non crazy wording that would split this here subforum

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Angry_Ed posted:

Almost 2/3 of "independents" polled think we shouldn't impeach. This loving country indeed :sigh:

i am not surprised. I think its kinda too late in his term for an impeachment show but dragging all of trumps garbage into the light is still a positive. though if they did do it, it may help a bunch. I personally think we will probably win in 2020 even with biden(though id rather it not be him since that will be lovely poo poo show afterward). I mean personally, i think he should be impeached.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 26, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Should Trump be impeached?

Should the Democrats pursue impeachment?

Should the people rise up and redacted redacted redacted redacted?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

The medical community’s understanding of autism is extremely recent. When I was a kid in the 1990s my parents knew I was different but nobody could really tell what it was. I was not diagnosed by a professional with Asperger’s until I was 27. I’m at least glad that kids now will have a chance of getting help if they need it since our understanding of autism is light years better than just a few decades ago.

My brother was misdiagnosed as ADHD up until about high school in the early 2000's, when he was finally and correctly diagnosed with Asperger's.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd like to see the wording on... all of those but especially impeach

because I guarantee you there's non crazy wording that would split this here subforum

not sure if this link will work for you but here's the actual poll.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/page/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2019/04/26/National-Politics/Polling/release_547.xml

Edit: here's that impeachment Q: Based on what you know, do you think Congress should or should not begin impeachment proceedings that could lead to Trump being removed from office? Do you feel that way strongly or somewhat?

Also this question Q: Do the findings of the Mueller investigation make you more likely to support Trump for reelection in 2020, more likely to oppose him for reelection, or are they not a factor in your vote? 46% said it's not a factor... wtf? How is that not a factor at all?

Toobly fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 26, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1121831330759815168?s=20

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Every time I hear about a Republican literally stealing votes, it makes me as mad as the first time I heard it, given all their projection about voter fraud.

I'm in Georgia so it kind of stings right now.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Stickman posted:

Those simply link to Free File Alliance partners like TurboTax, who then make the process of actually using their free product as difficult as possible, while continually upselling their paid-for products and addons.

Why do you think they fought so hard to prevent the IRS from developing their own service that competes with products the private partners are ostensibly providing for free? Do you think it's out of the goodness of their hearts?

they're not at all difficult, put numbers in, get numbers out, hit file. I randomly choose one of the free file services each year I file and none of them have ever taken me more than like a half hour, but I'm also a single filer, no dependents, and the standard deduction is always the correct option for me. Maybe it's harder if you've got more complex finances than I do, which is honestly pretty likely.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Didn't he die from a witch's curse, at least partially?

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Toobly posted:

Also this question Q: Do the findings of the Mueller investigation make you more likely to support Trump for reelection in 2020, more likely to oppose him for reelection, or are they not a factor in your vote? 46% said it's not a factor... wtf? How is that not a factor at all?

I mean, if you're already 100% for or against Trump, the proof of blatant corruption/complete parcel of lies that is the Mueller Report won't shift the needle.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Eh, you can recognize his ability while also recognizing he was a fuckass.

I know I'm a few pages back on this, but Lee was actually not a good general, he was elevated after the war due to old south mythology. Lee did a ton of dumbass things and, it can be argued, lost the war. He graduated top of his class at West Point and got his rear end kicked by someone who almost flunked out. Don't continue the myth of his competence.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

haveblue posted:

Didn't he die from a witch's curse, at least partially?

Sorry to have started and been continuing a GoT derail, but it's pretty unclear in the books what actually happened.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm at a loss to explain it. The only thing I can think of is that people want so badly to see Trump get his rear end kicked in an election that we "can't" impeach him? I mean, I can understand that feeling, even if I can't condone it.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

pseudanonymous posted:

Sorry to have started and been continuing a GoT derail, but it's pretty unclear in the books what actually happened.

It's pretty clear... Denny smothers him.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

He gets injured in a fight and becomes septic. The witch's curse is a life for a life and sacrifices their baby to save him but he's basically a zombie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm at a loss to explain it. The only thing I can think of is that people want so badly to see Trump get his rear end kicked in an election that we "can't" impeach him? I mean, I can understand that feeling, even if I can't condone it.

There's a lot of factors, people are low info they mostly aren't following what's going on, they tend to believe the "truth is in the middle", Trump successfully obstructed the investigation quite a bit, he got his lying summary out there before the redacted report got out, people think impeachment is a high bar, they remember how partisan and undeserved the last impeachment was and naturally assume this is similar.