Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

forkboy84 posted:

I'm always surprised this doesn't happen more often with fly-ins from abroad considering how difficult it can be to get a visa to work in the USA.

yeah they didn't use work visas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

This is one of the most common type of long term Visa used for bringing in fly in talent

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-visa-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rare bad take from jenkem

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Lots of indy wrestlers fly under the radar without work visas, but sometimes it doesn't work out. Guessing that facial recognition and better databases make it harder nowadays.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2i8ht5
(skip to 2:40)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
PAC and Dragon Gate were like the first big names Wrestlecon said so they sure as hell have been working their asses off trying to bring them over. If anything DG guys would only come over if DG themselves front the money and even then or system is poo poo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Was there ever interest in getting Takanoyama into pro wrestling?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jcnMiRCVL18

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

All Japan's Champion Carnival has its first show today. Think it's going on at the moment but I fully intend to keep up on this and use this as a jumping point to finally get into AJPW. Easy for it to get lost among the general chaos of Mania weekend so just in case anyone might want to watch it.

Today's matches in the tournament, from Korakuen Hall
Daichi Hashimoto vs Takashi Yoshida (Block B)
Naoya Nomura vs Jake Lee (Block B)
Kento Miyahara vs Atsushi Aoki (Block A)
Suwama vs Joe Doering (Block B)
Shuji Ishikawa vs Yuji Okabayashi (Block A)

There's also 2 multiman tags

Next show is on Saturday from Chiba Kisarazu City Center
Atsushi Aoki vs Shuji Ishikawa (A Block)
Naoya Nomura vs Takashi Yoshida (B Block)
Ryouji Sai vs Dylan James (A Block)
Yuma Aoyagi vs Yuji Okabayashi (A Block)
Daichi Hashimoto vs Joel Redman (B Block)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Hey, anyone know where I can find links to buy BJW's Shakespeare shows? Can't seem to find them online.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dragon Gate's King of Gate 2019 blocks got announced (round-robin tournament where the winner of each block advances to semifinals and the tournament winner gets a shot at PAC's Open the Dream Gate title)

Block A:
KZY
Naruki Doi
Ryo Saito
U-T
Punch Tominaga
KAZMA Sakamoto

Block B:
Masato Yoshino
Susumu Yokosuka
EITA
Yasushi Kanda
Yosuke♡Santa Maria
Yuki Yoshioka

Block C:
YAMATO
Ben-K
Takashi Yoshida
Genki Horiguchi
Kagetora
Kaito Ishida

Block D:
Masaaki Mochizuki
Dragon Kid
Big R Shimizu
Shun Skywalker
Jason Lee
KAI

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Venomous posted:

Hey, anyone know where I can find links to buy BJW's Shakespeare shows? Can't seem to find them online.
If you're talking about the really old ones I remember seeing in the early 2010's? I honestly don't know a reliable way to buy BJW shows other than knowing someone directly in Japan and still finding old shows like that is probably rough.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://new.ivpvideos2.com/

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BASTARDPAC/status/1116997315703734272

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Any matches worth watching from the AJPW Champion Carnival?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Any matches worth watching from the AJPW Champion Carnival?

I'm way behind, only up to night 3, I enjoyed Aoki vs Miyahara from night 1, it had a simple story of the veteran junior coming in as an injury replacement and facing the ace of the company but it was worked so well.

Nomura vs Jake Lee was enjoyable and the consensus seems to be that the Okobayashi vs Ishikawa night 1 main event was very good, though I felt it was plodding.

Nothing really memorable from nights 2 & 3 though.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So I'm plodding through this at a snails pace because of life & also the Wrestling Dontaku tour but thoughts on Nights 4 & 5 of Champion Carnival.

Night 4
A solid night, definitely watch Kento Miyahara vs Zeus in the main event. I'd also say that Naoya Nomura vs Sam Adonis is a fun watch. Jake Lee vs Joel Redman is better than you might expect but the weak link is actually Lee which is disappointing, he just didn't show enough fire.
Night 5
This is a more solid night with nothing clearly standing out, skip Adonis vs Redman but otherwise Yuma Aoyogi vs Zeus, Joe Doering vs Naoya Nomura & SUWAMA vs Yoshitatsu are all fun watches.

I really have no idea why All Japan spend money flying in Gianni Valetta.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Valletta rules actually

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Valletta rules actually

What's he done that's not at best mediocre?

He just seems like a less convincing Bruiser Brody than Jimmy Jacobs was early in his indy run when he was a 3 foot tall man with furry boots yelling "huss" a lot. What am I missing?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NOAH's going to livestream the 4/30 Global Tag League show on Youtube

GTL matches:
Katsuhiko Nakajima and Go Shiozaki vs Maybach Taniguchi and Yuji Hino
Kaito Kiyomiya and Kenoh vs Akitoshi Saito and Masao Inoue
Muhammad Yone and Quiet Storm vs Takashi Sugiura and KAZMA SAKAMOTO
Atsushi Kotoge and Mitsuya Nagai vs Masa Kitamiya and Yoshiki Inamura

Also on the card:
Naomichi Marufuji, Daisuke Harada, Tadasuke and HAYATA vs Shiro Koshinaka, Minoru Tanaka, Hi69 and Junta Miyawaki
Yoshinari Ogawa and YO-HEY vs Hajime Ohara and Hitoshi Kumano

Last GTL show before the finals, 3 shows before this. As of writing only one team is eliminated from finals eligibility Yone+Storm

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I'm going to Tokyo from May 9-14 and am looking to go to a wrestling show, any show, really. I've been trying to navigate the various websites and looking for dates and it's been kind of a nightmare; does anyone have any tips or leads to shows that are happening in that timeframe? Thank you so much!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

the escape goat posted:

I'm going to Tokyo from May 9-14 and am looking to go to a wrestling show, any show, really. I've been trying to navigate the various websites and looking for dates and it's been kind of a nightmare; does anyone have any tips or leads to shows that are happening in that timeframe? Thank you so much!

The first night of the Best of the Super Juniors is te 13th in Miyagi if you want to do some traveling. Otherwise NJPW is off in that period.

Otherwise this might help you: https://en.puwota.com/index.cgi

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i'd recommend dragon gate's korakuen show if you'd be in town early enough to attend a show at 6:30 PM on the 9th. unfortunately that's an usually quiet time for korakuen as you see from the schedule mrt posted.

georgewbushi could tell you a lot more but gatoh move is supposed to be a blast if you're up for something very niche

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

the escape goat posted:

Diana on May 12th at Korakuen Hall is the show I'm attending during that time. The main event is Aja Kong vs. Sareee and the last time they wrestled Aja hosed her up.

There's a Gatoh Move on May 10th if you want to do something niche. Most of the big companies other than Dragon Gate aren't running Korakuen that weekend.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Traveling from the 22 to 27 and trying to find out to buy tickets is kinda of an adventure so welp

So want to go to the 24th card at Korakuen

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Traveling from the 22 to 27 and trying to find out to buy tickets is kinda of an adventure so welp

So want to go to the 24th card at Korakuen

I rarely go to NJPW Korakuen shows because the tickets sell out months in advance sometimes.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when are they likely to announce the power struggle date? would they wait until after the g1

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Thanks!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DDT show starts on Universe in a little over half an hour IIRC

Toru Owashi and Kazuki Hirata vs Masahiro Takanashi and Pokotan (with Danshoku Dieno)
Keisuke Okuda, Yuki Ueno and Naomi Yoshimura vs Kota Umeda, Mizuki Watase and Yuki Iino in Okuda's sendoff match
Saki Akai and ASUKA vs Mad Paulie and Nobuhiro Shimatani
Yoshiaki Yatsu, Sanshiro Takagi and Yukio Sakaguchi vs Akito, Kazusada Higuchi and Hiroshi Yamato in Yatsu's DDT debut match
Daisuke Sasaki and Soma Tako defend the KO-D tag titles in a 3-way against MAO and Mike Bailey, and Ricky Starks and Mike Rollins
HARASHIMA defends the EXTREME title against Antonio Honda in a Panties☆Hunt Tiger Rope Deathmatch
Konosuke Takeshita vs Shinya Aoki
Tetsuya Endo defends the KO-D Openweight title against Makoto Oishi

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 28, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Hell yeah!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

when are they likely to announce the power struggle date? would they wait until after the g1

Yeah probably or at least Dominion. It's usually the first week of November but maybe it'll change with everyone running Sumo Hall that weekend but probably not.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ASUKA rules and I'm always glad when I'm able to see more of her matches live. Her match is on currently on the Universe card

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is she/her the pronoun they use even though ASUKA is genderless? Legit don't know

They definitely rule though

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've only seen him a few times, but Shinya Aoki is real weird. I enjoy how his matches are such a change of pace from anything else.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

ASUKA rules and I'm always glad when I'm able to see more of her matches live. Her match is on currently on the Universe card

Subscribe to YMZ. Asuka is a regular there and it's a funny low budget indie run by Kaori Yoneyama. Asuka vs Fuminori Abe was a great match from their most recent show.

mikeycp posted:

Is she/her the pronoun they use even though ASUKA is genderless? Legit don't know

They definitely rule though

I'm pretty sure she uses she/her but I don't know if her English is at a level where she would have considered what pronouns to use like that. I actually just spoke with her when my friend was buying a poster and she told me she's learning English though.

She does go by Asuka rather than ASUKA though.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
As far as I can tell, Asuka identifies as a woman. "Genderless," used as a word in Japanese, doesn't really map exactly to "non-binary." It's used to refer to, like, androgynous fashion etc. a lot more often than it is to people, even among the Japanese LGBTQ community which has far more established terms for NB folks. It's kind of a normie-friendly catch-all term for anything outside cisgender presentation, and I'd be reluctant to assume someone specifically identifies as NB just based on that term.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 28, 2019

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DDT is truly a magical place... :allears:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonna 100% try to catch a DDT show when I'm in Tokyo later in May

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Gonna 100% try to catch a DDT show when I'm in Tokyo later in May

Their next Korakuen is the 19th.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Their next Korakuen is the 19th.

Not gonna be in Japan for that one but will try to catch the 25th one at Kitazawa town hall

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not gonna be in Japan for that one but will try to catch the 25th one at Kitazawa town hall

Ah sweet. You get an Antonio Honda vs Akito match for the Extreme title so that should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Might gently caress around and go to TOKYO JOSHI 2019 SUMMER ~ Sunshine Carnival ~ before going to the G1 Finals