Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Cuntellectual posted:

Starting at level 1. I considered two-handed weapons, but apparently they're not great? Monk also seemed kind of cool since they're apparently not the absolute dumpster-tier class they were in 3.5.

I'm not worried about being the most powerful character in the party or anything, I just want to make sure I can contribute without the DM needing to cheat too much in my favor.

e: Looking over PHB races again, even if the racial abilities aren't that useful, playing a dragonborn monk and pretending to be wolverine with scales seems fun.

Dual Wielding isn't terrible but it's straight up worse than either of the alternatives (2h or sword&board) due to various reasons.

Monk is decent (as long as you avoid Way of the 4 Elements), but it's a very stat dependent class - to be useful you need to land hits (DEX), have decent DCs (WIS), and good AC to minimize damage (DEX+WIS) while also paying the 'not dying' tax (CON). So a race like Dragonborn that doesn't grant a bonus to any of these stats and also lacks beneficial racial abilities makes for an exceptionally poor Monk.

The rule of thumb for 5e chargen is that you want 16 in your primary and secondary stats, plus at least 14 in your tertiary. On a Monk that's DEX > WIS > CON. If you do something like 15 DEX/WIS and 14 CON, and bump both DEX/WIS to 16 with your level 4 ASI, you should at least be passable.

You can of course ignore this, but the thing about optimization in 5e is that while there's very little room for it (just your chargen attributes plus 2~4 ASI/Feat picks across the majority of your level progression), the effects can be pretty significant; on martials, the difference between combat stat 15 and 16 is like a 20% average damage increase, and on Monk it's also tied to survivability on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

change my name posted:

Isn't the PHB Beastmaster Ranger universally agreed to be bad? I made a Hunter Ranger once and it was fine, even if I did totally screw up balancing her stats

Yeah. Their entire power is trading their actions to a dog or whatever. It's a familiar with an ability that you'll probably never use, but instead of being a level one ritual it's an entire sub-class. The beast doesn't meaningfully scale, and basically the whole thing is the kind of thing that DMs often hand out to players for free.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 27, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Okay, so Dragonborn fighter it is. :v:

I'd read 2h was the worst option for fighters, since the average damage increase was something like 1 point?

I gather archery is the "best" option, but I have no idea how it works with any of the subclasses, or if the difference between it and the other choices is big enough to worry about.

If 2h weapons isn't that bad, I'd probably go with that. What's the rundown on the subclasses/multiclasses I might want to look at?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 27, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cuntellectual posted:

I'd read 2h was the worst option for fighters, since the average damage increase was something like 1 point?

I gather archery is the "best" option, but I have no idea how it works with any of the subclasses, or if the difference between it and the other choices is big enough to worry about.

If 2h weapons isn't that bad, I'd probably go with that. What's the rundown on the subclasses/multiclasses I might want to look at?

Champion fighters are pretty basic, and not really recommended. I made one once because I could play it while DMing and basically have minimal impact.

I'd suggest a two-handed Samurai, or perhaps a Purple Dragon Knight to lean into the Dragonborn aspect.

Check out this character build site, and this multiclassing guide.

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/fighter/
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 27, 2019

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Cuntellectual posted:

Two-handing is fine, but the only caveat is that you're kind of reliant on the Polearm Master and Great Weapon Master feat combo, which kind of ties you down in that regard. Especially since you're starting at level 1, the bonus feat from Variant Human gets you a huge leg up in terms of character progression since you'll have both feats by level 4 instead of 8, if you really care about optimizing. Between the two, I think I'd prioritize PAM over GWM, since PAM gives you an outlet for your bonus (i.e. minor/swift) action, which you otherwise have no real way to use. That said, the Great Weapon fighting style is statistically one of the weaker ones, so you're not missing much if you ditch it in favor of Protection for an unconditional extra point of AC.

In terms of fighter subclasses, I think Eldritch Knight and Battlemaster rank the highest, depending on whether or not you want to do magic things. I think the only non-obvious subtlety to Eldritch Knight is picking up the Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade cantrips, since they're weapon attacks with upside, but apart from that it's hard to go wrong. I can't think of any direly urgent multiclasses that make a fighter better at fightering, since most fighter multiclass builds I can think of use fighter as a dip and not a base.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kaal posted:

Champion fighters are pretty basic, and not really recommended. I made one once because I could play it while DMing and basically have minimal impact.

I'd suggest a two-handed Samurai, or perhaps a Purple Dragon Knight to lean into the Dragonborn aspect.

Check out this character build site, and this multiclassing guide.

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/classes/fighter/
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502248-Ultimate-Optimizer-s-Multiclassing-Guide

Samurai seems kind of cool, so does Battlemaster.

I know multiclassing is only for munchkins and clerics, but Barbarian and Warlock both seem like fun multiclass options, if for entirely different reasons.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

longsword + dueling style, assuming a 16 str deals 1d8+5 dmg at lvl 1. Avg 9.5 (assuming a hit and no crit)

Halberd + Great weapon fighter at lvl 1, assuming a 16 str deals 1d10+3 (rerolling 1's and 2's) Avg 9.5 (assuming hit and no crit)
Greatswords (with great weapon fighter and 16 str at lvl 1) however do a lot better as it is 2d6+3(rerolling 1s and 2s) is 16 avg dmg. (assuming hit and no crit)

edit-(It is actually slightly less for halberd and greatsword, as you do have to accept the reroll even if it is a 1 or 2, I'm not good at weighted averages, so I'd assume the halberd is dealing less then the average I listed...if someone is better at that math than me please post and Ill add the corrected amount)

It is the ability to add Great Weapon Master that really changes the equation, think of it as power attack from 3.5 and your on the right track.

Great Weapon Master
On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.
Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon with which you are proficient, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If you do so and the attack hits, it deals +10 damage.

There are tons of ways to gain advantage, especially if you have a good party which help negate the downside of the decreased accuracy.

The reason I suggested Halberd as the weapon in the initial build is because of the Polearm master feat, which gives you a bonus action attack as well as an easier ability to get OAs.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

Dual wielding is the worst option for Fighters. Ranged Battle Master is the best, but it'd be impaired on a Dragonborn because it keys off DEX.

For 2h, my recommendation is Polearm Master Battle Master.

Assuming point buy:
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
17 10 15 8 14 9
Level 4 ASI: Polearm Master
Level 6 ASI: Sentinel
Level 8 ASI: +1 STR, +1 CON

Defensive Fighting Style. Wields a glaive/halberd. For Maneuvers you want Precision and Trip; turning narrow misses into hits is *very good* and the optimal use of your Superiority Dice 90% of the time, but Trip can be combo'd with PAM's reaction attack and Sentinel's "set enemy speed to 0" to force a baddie that walks into your 10ft range to fall down, and they can't get up until their next turn. Other maneuvers are up to you, but Menacing, Goading, Pushing, and Disarming are the better ones for this build imo.

If you get to 12 you can grab either another STR boost for better accuracy and DCs, or Great Weapon Master to really pump up the damage.

Infinity Gaia posted:

This is a somewhat unpopular opinion in this thread, but as far as combat power goes I think 5e is actually pretty well balanced barring extreme edge cases like PHB Ranger and Four Elements Monk. The actual balancing issues lie in the out-of-combat power and to a lesser but still significant extent versatility within combat. I strongly believe that as far as the hitting monsters phase of the game goes you can't actually go too wrong.

This is more or less true for the first few levels, but after hitting 6 and especially after level 11, the difference between optimized builds and cookie cutter "I'll just put my ASI where my attack stat is" can be huge.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Classes in rough order of power:

Bard: Do anything depending on your build, often better than the class that does only that thing
Other "Full" 9-level casters
Melee characters with some magical powers (Paladins, Monks)
Rogues
Barbarians
Fighters
PHB Rangers

Fighters are better than Rogues and, unless someone supports them with Haste, so are Barbarians. Honestly, optimal Rogue play in combat is boring as poo poo and they're garbage when played as anything less than optimal. And outside of combat it's just "oh look i have slightly better skill check numbers" give me a break.

Bards (specifically, Lore Bards) are very powerful but need teammates to do the damage for them. Death is the best CC.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

Tier lists like that are always funny to me because, even though I know they're objectively true, they've never worked out that way in any games I've played.

Given only my subjective experiences Paladins are like Tier 0, I have yet to play a game in which the Paladin player wasn't constantly preventing everything from going to hell. Meanwhile I've never played with a Bard that could actually use the class competently, and have a tendency to end up as joke characters who have to be rescued from stuff all the time.

FWIW paladin is still a good class and among the best-designed in the game, with some of the fresher ideas. It's just that if the guy playing pally was a bard he'd probably be doing just as well or better and be more versatile for other needs.

A bad player can make any set of tools bad, hence my many times watching a 3E druid fail spectacularly to do anything right. Often the problem with bards is people play to stereotype instead of looking at the toolset they are given in 5E and going "I can actually play any concept with this."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Fighters are better than Rogues and, unless someone supports them with Haste, so are Barbarians. Honestly, optimal Rogue play in combat is boring as poo poo and they're garbage when played as anything less than optimal. And outside of combat it's just "oh look i have slightly better skill check numbers" give me a break.

Bards (specifically, Lore Bards) are very powerful but need teammates to do the damage for them. Death is the best CC.

Honestly in fun-having score I feel the same way about fighters and barbarians as you do about rogues, and I don't doubt your assessment of rogues.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

If you're intent on Dragonborn btw, I would highly recommend you take a look at Paladin, they are quite good in this edition, and still let you be a very effective armored smash man.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Madmarker posted:

If you're intent on Dragonborn btw, I would highly recommend you take a look at Paladin, they are quite good in this edition, and still let you be a very effective armored smash man.

Yeah, I'm the sort of person who starts with a concept and works from there, instead of from what might actually work with the rules. :v:

That's why I figured I'd ask here, since everyone else will have an at least modestly optimized character, I figure the least I can do is make sure I won't drag everyone down too much. :v:

Ideally I'd have been able to do something with fire and unarmed combat, but I'm walking that back to "smashing guys, and also breathing fire".

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Yeah, I'm the sort of person who starts with a concept and works from there, instead of from what might actually work with the rules. :v:

That's why I figured I'd ask here, since everyone else will have an at least modestly optimized character, I figure the least I can do is make sure I won't drag everyone down too much. :v:

Ideally I'd have been able to do something with fire and unarmed combat, but I'm walking that back to "smashing guys, and also breathing fire".

I mean fair, and I'm not gonna tell you not to go fighter, but If you are wanting to smash things and breath fire, Paladin does both of those things quite well,.............and you don't have to be some goody goody, the different Oaths add quite a lot of variability insofar as roleplaying hooks. Heck if your concept is a fire breathing dragonborn warrior, most DMs would let you flavor your smites as fire instead of radiant damage, then you can roleplay smashing your weapon down on the head of your foe before bathing them in scorching fire (your smite)

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 27, 2019

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Cuntellectual posted:

It's not unarmed combat per se, but using Grapple to kick dudes over and knock them prone is pretty good strategy too. If you have a free hand, spend an attack, and win an opposed Athletics check, you can knock someone prone. If you have an Extra Attack, you'll even have an extra swing left over to hit with Advantage. This works especially well with two-handed weapons, since you can take one hand off your sword to sucker punch someone and knock them over, and the advantage can offset the attack penalty from Great Weapon Master. Another nice thing about Paladins is they actually have ways to spend their Bonus Action, so you don't need Polearm Master nearly as much, and you can feel good about chopping dudes with a greatsword.

What I'm saying is, Paladin is a cool class and can actually do what you'd expect it to do.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Madmarker posted:

I mean fair, and I'm not gonna tell you not to go fighter, but If you are wanting to smash things and breath fire, Paladin does both of those things quite well,.............and you don't have to be some goody goody, the different Oaths add quite a lot of variability insofar as roleplaying hooks. Heck if your concept is a fire breathing dragonborn warrior, most DMs would let you flavor your smites as fire instead of radiant damage, then you can roleplay smashing your weapon down on the head of your foe before bathing them in scorching fire (your smite)

Huh, I just noticed that Paladins don't have all the lawful good restrictions and whatnot.

The breath weapon and energy resistance Dragonborn have seem to kinda conflict, since you can either pick a type that comes up a lot (so you resist a lot of stuff, but then your breath attack sucks), or you pick one that's rarer, and your resistence is useless. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 27, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I guess all I'm trying to put out is that, unless ones GM is a hardcore megakiller type, optimization is really not that necessary. Like, yeah, you might end up doing less average damage than OptimalMan the Sorlock, but it's not a competitive game, so as long you're still having fun who cares? I don't understand it personally but I have a friend who has played basically the same Barbarian in every campaign ever since I've known him, with the same personality and the same lack of any options in combat or out of it, which would bore me to tears but he likes it well enough so...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Well, yeah. Some of the comments I've made are just observations based on being somewhat familiar with optimization in 3.5. I'm fine playing a Dragonborn even if they're not optimal, but I also want to make sure the DM doesn't need to go out of his way to make sure I'm not useless (which the whole Dragonborn Monk thing was kind of straying towards, from the sound of things. :v:)

Paladin is also a class I wouldn't have really considered before, but it seems like it'd more or less fit what I'd like to do.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 27, 2019

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

Well, yeah. Some of the comments I've made are just observations based on being somewhat familiar with optimization in 3.5. I'm fine playing a Dragonborn even if they're not optimal, but I also want to make sure the DM doesn't need to go out of his way to make sure I'm not useless (which the whole Dragonborn Monk thing was kind of straying towards, from the sound of things. :v:)

Monk in general I find pretty crap(main point of disagreement with the list posted earlier of class rankings, I'd put them just above the phb ranger)

But honestly, you don't need to do 3.5 levels of OP to meet the baseline, as long as you make sure to eventually max out your primary attack stat/casting stat and make your secondary or tertiary stat constitution, you'll be golden, even if you play a sub-optimal class/race combo. Heck feats are even optional and are just straight boosts to power level (though some like Great Weapon Master, Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert, Polearm Master, War Caster and Resilient Constitution) are giant jumps in power on the right build.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 27, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Monk in general I find pretty crap(main point of disagreement with the list posted earlier of class rankings, I'd put them just above the phb ranger)

But honestly, you don't need to do 3.5 levels of OP to meet the baseline, as long as you make sure to eventually max out your attack stat/casting stat and make your secondary or tertiary stat constitution, you'll be golden, even if you play a sub-optimal class/race combo. Heck feats are even optional and are just straight boosts to power level (though some like Great Weapon Master, Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert, Polearm Master, War Caster and Resilient Constitution) are giant jumps in power on the right build.

Okay that was also probably a subconscious point. In 3.5 you can definitely make a completely useless character.

Dragonborn Paladin with Oath of Conquest and a few levels in Sorcerer to pick up some fiery spells seems like the best way to cover what I wanted, so I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

I guess all I'm trying to put out is that, unless ones GM is a hardcore megakiller type, optimization is really not that necessary. Like, yeah, you might end up doing less average damage than OptimalMan the Sorlock, but it's not a competitive game, so as long you're still having fun who cares? I don't understand it personally but I have a friend who has played basically the same Barbarian in every campaign ever since I've known him, with the same personality and the same lack of any options in combat or out of it, which would bore me to tears but he likes it well enough so...

It's not a competitive game, but it's a cooperative game, so while your personal fun is important so is contributing to the objectives of the group. Many times I've found myself in groups where we find ourselves wondering why our characters are adventuring with a mostly useless individual, giving them equal shares of the spoils or whatever. And the answer is, of course, "because they're a PC so we have to."

In my case, I optimize for two reasons: first is that I wish to have fun engaging with the mechanics when that happens so I look for ways to make them interesting, plus failure states in combat are generally the opposite of fun within the D&D ruleset (your attack misses, nothing happens, next turn). The other might be controversial, but in this elfgame of heroic sword & sorcery fantasy, I like playing characters that feel competent and thus able to engage in heroics - tackle challenges beyond the ken of common men, sometimes defying even the expectations of the DM. To me that sounds fun.

Also, I'm not in the business of telling other people how to play, but I tend to sigh a lot when our group could've defeated a certain enemy if only one or two of our party members had prepared better options than say, trying to compete with the damage of an 8 level archer or paladin by spending an entire fight casting 3rd and 2nd level magic missiles, or when we're forced to take a long rest (and all of its time-sensitive narrative implications) because the sorcerer and wizard blew the entirety of their resources on a bunch of zombies.

Cuntellectual posted:

Okay that was also probably a subconscious point. In 3.5 you can definitely make a completely useless character.

Dragonborn Paladin with Oath of Conquest and a few levels in Sorcerer to pick up some fiery spells seems like the best way to cover what I wanted, so I think I'll go with that. Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Sorcadin is really cool and good. I prefer skipping the oath by just grabbing 2 levels in Paladin and going Sorcerer the rest of the way (relying on the Green-Flame Blade cantrip for attacks), but going to level 6 (for Extra Attack and Aura of Protection) then Sorcerer is also a good option.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 27, 2019

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm reading some of the old books now where I can find them but anyone got anything interesting or fun to offer about playing a halfling paladin of Cyrrollalee? I know paladins don't need gods now and I don't plan to go all-in about it but she meshes really well with the vibe I wanna do for this character.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't know much about 5e, but I'm going to try playing in a game with some friends who are. I'm somewhat familiar with 3.5.

What's a strong character build? My friends tend to optimize, but I don't want to ask one of them for help directly because that would be lame. :v:

I was leaning towards fighter since apparently they're good now, but I don't really know what's any good in 5e.

Archer Battlemaster with the Sharpshooter feat. Take Goading Attack and taunt from 50 feet. Congrats, you're better damage mitigation than the Halberd + Sentinel guy.

beeoi
Mar 4, 2012

5E's class balance (at least in combat) reminds me a lot of the later-day Fire Emblem games, in that people tend to conclude that everything is well-balanced because no class ends up struggling. But the actual reason that no class ends up struggling is that the enemies the game throws at you (in D&D's case, the ones in the monster manuals) are so incredibly gimped and underpowered (with a few over-CRed monsters being the exception) that you could feasibly beat most encounters with just about anything. If monsters more closely resembled their counterparts for previous editions you would see vast differences in class and archetype performance as early as level 2.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm reading some of the old books now where I can find them but anyone got anything interesting or fun to offer about playing a halfling paladin of Cyrrollalee? I know paladins don't need gods now and I don't plan to go all-in about it but she meshes really well with the vibe I wanna do for this character.

Cyrrollalee is an astonishingly unusual choice for a halfling paladin instead of Arvoreen or maybe Yondalla. Which doesn’t mean it’s wrong but it does give you character grist to explain why you’ve made this choice, and why you’re so different.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I’m really loving that hand crossbow ranged fighter build. At level 6 it’s dishing out 3 attacks at range at +9/1d6+4, and can sharpshooter any of those attacks into +4/1d6+14.

Also, with the way superiority dice work, your effective to-hit bonus while sharpshooting is actually +5-12 (average 8.5) depending on how well you roll that superiority die.

As an anecdote, at level 7 and with decent stats and magic weapons my current players are hitting for around +7-9 and dealing normal-rear end weapon damage. Their biggest damage dealer is the rogue with a dagger of backstabbing, dealing 5d6 + 1d4 + 3 damage on sneak attacks, but that’s once per turn for an average of 21 damage.

On average, the fighter can deal 17.5 damage by hitting with a single attack, at range, and then has two more attacks to go. That’s with comparable stats and no magic gear.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

beeoi posted:

5E's class balance (at least in combat) reminds me a lot of the later-day Fire Emblem games, in that people tend to conclude that everything is well-balanced because no class ends up struggling. But the actual reason that no class ends up struggling is that the enemies the game throws at you (in D&D's case, the ones in the monster manuals) are so incredibly gimped and underpowered (with a few over-CRed monsters being the exception) that you could feasibly beat most encounters with just about anything. If monsters more closely resembled their counterparts for previous editions you would see vast differences in class and archetype performance as early as level 2.

It's too bad 5E was so half-baked because I like a lot of the basic ideas it has, but the implementation was kind of :effort:. If they gave all the classes and monsters a long, hard going over and tightened up the wording and elaborated on a bunch of the rules and released it as a 5.5E then it would be in the shape 5E should have shipped as.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What monsters need to be toned up and how would you do this?

Also, I think one of the big problems is that there is very little in terms of a guide as to how monsters are "supposed" to work.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm jealous of groups that actually get magic items. My party in Mad Mage is nearly level 7 and the only real magic item we have is a single circlet of blasting. I hope we find a +1 weapon for our Fighter soon...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm jealous of groups that actually get magic items. My party in Mad Mage is nearly level 7 and the only real magic item we have is a single circlet of blasting. I hope we find a +1 weapon for our Fighter soon...

In a megadungeon, I suspect you've been missing hidden caches and treasures. Historically Undermountain has been full of these; I don't know about the 5e version but I'd rethink how you're searching areas/looking for treasure. Or it could just be a dick DM.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Arivia posted:

In a megadungeon, I suspect you've been missing hidden caches and treasures. Historically Undermountain has been full of these; I don't know about the 5e version but I'd rethink how you're searching areas/looking for treasure. Or it could just be a dick DM.

I took Observant explicitly for this but most of the secret poo poo we've found has either been Halaster trolls or portals to deeper in the dungeon. The early floors at least seem determined to not give you jack poo poo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Arivia posted:

Cyrrollalee is an astonishingly unusual choice for a halfling paladin instead of Arvoreen or maybe Yondalla. Which doesn’t mean it’s wrong but it does give you character grist to explain why you’ve made this choice, and why you’re so different.

My thinking was something to the effect of a typical homebody halfling who was caring for a half-dead human paladin he found practically on his doorstep. As the family takes care of him, the PC learns the paladin was trying to deliver an item of importance to his order and now PC won't hear another word about this guy trying to be up on his feet again too soon. So he digs out grandpa's old mishmashed suit of militia armor from the settlement days and takes it on himself to deliver this thing. In practical terms, the Cyrrollalee ethic works as Oath of the Ancients.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I feel like our group is having the opposite problem. Our setting is in a pretty advanced magitech/fantasy version of Europe, so it makes sense that they'd be getting magical items as rewards for completing longer adventures, even though they're only level 4... except I've realized that no one really uses any of the stuff they're accumulating.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

My thinking was something to the effect of a typical homebody halfling who was caring for a half-dead human paladin he found practically on his doorstep. As the family takes care of him, the PC learns the paladin was trying to deliver an item of importance to his order and now PC won't hear another word about this guy trying to be up on his feet again too soon. So he digs out grandpa's old mishmashed suit of militia armor from the settlement days and takes it on himself to deliver this thing. In practical terms, the Cyrrollalee ethic works as Oath of the Ancients.

That's a rad idea! Yeah, totally roll with that. It suggests your character is going to get involved with the order, so I'd think about who and what they are and if your character is going to join them.

There's a discussion of some paladin orders in the Realms in this document, enough to get you started: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020504a

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

change my name posted:

I feel like our group is having the opposite problem. Our setting is in a pretty advanced magitech/fantasy version of Europe, so it makes sense that they'd be getting magical items as rewards for completing longer adventures, even though they're only level 4... except I've realized that no one really uses any of the stuff they're accumulating.

I had this problem with my group. One way I found to fix it was to set up a quest that rewarded them with the ability to custom order a couple of magic items. Giving them agency over what they got, what it did, and how it looked led to them being more invested in the items and they felt like the items were part of their characters.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of character building does it seem reasonable mechanically to go into sorcerer as a 16-8-16-10-10-14 Oath of Ancients Paladin after level 7 so that I get the spell resistance?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Pendent posted:

On the topic of character building does it seem reasonable mechanically to go into sorcerer as a 16-8-16-10-10-14 Oath of Ancients Paladin after level 7 so that I get the spell resistance?

Yeah, that one's pretty much fine. Like with any multiclass build, it usually takes a few levels before your features really start to take off, but Ancients Paladin 7 is a good breakpoint for that exact reason.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My biggest suggestion for 5e and running martials is to both make expertise more common for the non magic classes (the game I am running, every martial class gets 2 at level 1 and then another 1 at 6, rogues get 4 that grows to 6 later.) And then make skill rolls matter more.

Using a real example from a game I am running: if the fighter with athletics expertise rolls a 25 to jump across a chasm, let them narrate that they carry others with them. Hell, I let them narrate that they grabbed the wizard and monk, and then jumped back and jumped with the bard, all as one roll.

Never do the 3.5 'make an athletics check to lift the wizard. Make one to lift the monk, at a penalty. Make a check to jump with a big penalty. Make another check to jump back. Make another to pick up the bard. Make another to jump with the bard.'

It's boring and stupid and is what really devalues skills.

Yeah, the wizard could have used two high level (for us) spell slots to do it with Fly, but... spells are a finite resource. By allowing the other party members to feel cool by providing ways. besides magic, you only benefit.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Arivia posted:

This is a big problem for this module, it's very anemic on magic items for like the first 10+levels of the dungeon, and doesnt really have +stuff to fill out every characters inventory... almost like it was balanced around AL play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Magic Item's start becoming more common in Dungeon of the Mad Mage as you go down the floors. However next to no treasure is found at first cause other parties already cleared that stuff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Magic Item's start becoming more common in Dungeon of the Mad Mage as you go down the floors. However next to no treasure is found at first cause other parties already cleared that stuff out.

This was a bullshit change they made then. Early levels of Undermountain have never been empty of treasure, it's just the source that changes - you have plenty of cults, secret societies and so on with hidden caches down there.