Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I love how we mock the Democrats for having obsession with decorum then turn around with this how dare you sir bullshit. "I'm just disgusted you would exploit this tragedy". It's a discussion forum dude deal with it.

On a personal note I have a lot more admiration for prester Jane for putting her ideas out there then the cowardly chorus that comes out to scream every single time she posts.

I love how people being pissed about the Democrats over reliance on parliamentary norms to stop Nazis is now cover to justify any and all sorts of disgustingly narcissist and immoral behavior because "decorum!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SickZip posted:

I'm glad I'm not someone so perpetually scared that he has Milo or Alex Jones in the same category as ISIS or dumb enough to think a twitter ban is why ISIS might find their recruiters having a harder time nowadays

glad to see we agree: deplatforming far-right recruiters preying on incels not only works, it has no bad side effects!

if you'd prefer, in the interest of consistency the full ISIS treatment -could- be put on the table for the poor sad dipshits trying to meme their way out of the blackpill. how many terror attacks before you think that's a sensible decision, out of question.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mnoba posted:

I'm really starting to worry for some of you, especially when Trump wins in 2020 jesus christ.

https://twitter.com/TimRunsHisMouth/status/1122260175098925057

The look on Schiff's face is is priceless, mad props to Bill trying to talk some sense into the guy.

Imagine posting a link to Bill Maher and thinking it's a sick burn

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nine-gear crow posted:

Sadly, I think this this is gonna be increasingly common. People say that Gen Z is more liberal, but no, they're loving not. This is a group of kids who became Nazis because a lady on the internet taught a Gender Studies 101 class about video games and it made them forevermad and we're creeping up on the period in time where the nadir of that bell curve is entering legal gun owning age, and guess what? They're still loving mad.

A kid who is going to become known one day as the "NPC Killer" is out there right now gestating in their anger and hatred. We just don't get to see the clock count down to zero until it's too late...

you're misunderstanding statistics

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1122280667725860864

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Sadly, I think this this is gonna be increasingly common. People say that Gen Z is more liberal, but no, they're loving not. This is a group of kids who became Nazis because a lady on the internet taught a Gender Studies 101 class about video games and it made them forevermad and we're creeping up on the period in time where the nadir of that bell curve is entering legal gun owning age, and guess what? They're still loving mad.

any time you think this, remember that your generation's furthest-left watermark for politics was the Jon Stewart Rally To Preserve Decorum, and Timothy McVeigh was a person who existed.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

witness, again, the phenomenal increase in power of Alex Jones and ISIS recruiters post-deplatforming

between that and your constant begging in QCS for the mods to ban those darned liberals making you feel unwelcome for asking the Jewish Question :( i'm beginning to suspect that your arguments against deplatforming may not be based in a desire to help, friend

I've never advocated for anyone to be banned? And I'm completely and disgustingly sincere in my desire to help.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Groovelord Neato posted:

the problem with the deplatforming is that the ultimate fault lies with the president, the gop, and their media machine. you could delete all these manifestos or make it criminal to distribute them but you've got the president and republicans saying soros and a jewish refugee group are to blame for the caravans. fox news has gone mask off with the white nationalism. laura ingraham and tucker carlson host nightly white power hours. and until democrats grow some spine and start laying the bodies at the feet of the president and his party and his favorite faces on the tv deplatforming isn't going to do jack poo poo.

that wouldn't do anything either. what, are the democrats gonna buy fox news and fire tucker carlson?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

glad to see we agree: deplatforming far-right recruiters preying on incels not only works, it has no bad side effects!

if you'd prefer, in the interest of consistency the full ISIS treatment -could- be put on the table for the poor sad dipshits trying to meme their way out of the blackpill. how many terror attacks before you think that's a sensible decision, out of question.

I'm just here to chat and you're rp'ing about being someone with the power to decide life and death for others and I cant take that seriously enough to respond. I hope you get the help you need

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you're misunderstanding statistics

More to the point, I don't think it's a case of the upcoming generation being less progressive but more extreme regardless of their political leanings. For better or worse, our politics were already becoming radicalized before the rise of social media turbocharged the process.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

The solutions are known.

Well... the solutions are known in the context of state tools, but we don't have access to those. If we want to do something about this, maybe we need to develop some new tools (like, how do we interact with the far right online in an effective way). Yeah, PJ is a bit self-aggrandizing, but sitting around moaning about how we can't do anything because we're not cops or the state is... well... defeatist, and in my opinion worse.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Skippy McPants posted:

More to the point, I don't think it's a case of the upcoming generation being less progressive but more extreme regardless of their political leanings. For better or worse, our politics were already becoming radicalized before the rise of social media turbocharged the process.

correct, studies DO show that younger people either lack, or do not value empathy (and especially perspective-taking) skills. they are oblivious and tribalistic but that doesn't actually mean they have to be right-wing or left-wing in particular

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Mnoba posted:

I'm really starting to worry for some of you, especially when Trump wins in 2020 jesus christ.

https://twitter.com/TimRunsHisMouth/status/1122260175098925057

The look on Schiff's face is is priceless, mad props to Bill trying to talk some sense into the guy.

Please explain how telling Schiff 'Americans are too stupid to understand the report so we shouldn't try' counts as 'talking sense into him' or is at all helpful.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

LaserShark posted:

Please explain how telling Schiff 'Americans are too stupid to understand the report so we shouldn't try' counts as 'talking sense into him' or is at all helpful.
Take another look at that avatar, chief.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/KatzOnEarth/status/1122358966267326465

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

It is working exactly as intended, yes

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Yeah, PJ is a bit self-aggrandizing

Well yeah but..... what crank isn't?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

This actually represents an interesting escalation. If your a trans woman on Twitter you've been dealing with this kind of poo poo for a long time* Up until now blue checkmarks (particularly prominent or popular ones) have been immune to this sort of treatment.

* in point of fact my account has been suspended so many times that it's now basically worthless because my tweets don't appear in any one's feeds because the algorithm reduces your visibility the more suspensions you accrue.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

FB got me for a near identical thing recently - these networks get really touchy when you're mean to Nazis.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Tired: Incited terrorist attacks against Jews

Wired: Inciting terrorist attacks against Planned Parenthood

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1122311812123439105

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

nine-gear crow posted:

Or maybe young males are just far and away the demographic most likely to commit violent crimes, regardless of how the rest of their cohort behaves in the main.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Prester Jane posted:

Yeah but my terms predate the modern usage of redpilling by a couple years. I was describing the specifics of this process (and warning about the threat that it's spreading through the internet) years before redpilling became a thing. Moreover redpilling as a concept covers a number of interacting psychological functions, and my terminology is meant to reflect each individual psychological function and how it interacts with the others.

Not that I'm totally dismissing the criticism that my posts tend to be vrbose (even by D&D standards). I'm just trying to clarify why I am describing redpilling in the manner I am. Back when the term red pill was still somewhat emerging I wrote a pretty long blog post that addresses all of this in much greater detail.

You wrote that post in 2017. The phrase “red pill” has existed long before that. A quick search came up with an article from 2013.

But no keep believing you and you alone came up with this stuff if it helps you sleep better.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Boris Galerkin posted:

You wrote that post in 2017. The phrase “red pill” has existed long before that. A quick search came up with an article from 2013.

But no keep believing you and you alone came up with this stuff if it helps you sleep better.

Back in 2006 I was distributing home burned DVD's consisting of 4 seperate conspiracy documentaries. (Mostly 9-11 truth stuff) I labeled it the "Red Pill collection". Referring to the red pill as an awakening experience into some sort of conspiracy theory or other has been around a very long time. However, the 'chans adapting the term (and associating a bunch of specific memes into it like "hitlerdidnothingwrong") has only occurred within the past couple years.

Also to clarify a point (that you are willfully misinterpreting), my description of the psychological processes that redpilling presently refers to existed several years before the 'chans started adopting the term. (e.g. that blogpost is mostly lifted off of material I wrote much earlier in my thread with some more expanded explanations and some light editing to tie it all together into a specific theme.)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 28, 2019

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

You know, good writing is really hard for smart people who are actively trying to improve. It’s basically impossible for people who aren’t trying to fix their writing issues and swat away criticism.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Honestly the whole "Red Pilling" Race War poo poo has become some nihilist religion unto itself, and we really need to start treating these fucks as the equivalent of religious fundamental terrorists, and they should have been deplatformed from everything years ago, let alone just now

White supremacy should be treated the same way as ISIS, but in order to do that we first need to remove and then burn to the ground the memory of their loving addled dipshit orange champion

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Deified Data posted:

FB got me for a near identical thing recently - these networks get really touchy when you're mean to Nazis.

prolly because Nazis hit the "report post" button en masse

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Can you just skip a few steps and escalate this to open transphobia and get banned like you lot do every time PJ posts? You’re actively making this thread worse, and it’s already loving dire.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The reason it's legal for 18 year olds to bear arms is because 18 year olds can enlist in the armed forces. You don't need to be able to drink to be a soldier but you do need to be able to shoot.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Bill Mahar is more responsible for the re-election of Trump than Schiff could ever be. Neither are good, but Mahar is a loving cancer and needs to be cancelled.

Am I severely underestimating the influence Mahar has or something cause I thought he was pretty firmly in the “nobody gives a poo poo” camp of public opinion for almost a decade now

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 28, 2019

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mistaya posted:

The reason it's legal for 18 year olds to bear arms is because 18 year olds can enlist in the armed forces. You don't need to be able to drink to be a soldier but you do need to be able to shoot.

No. The military teaches recruits how to shoot. They don’t care whether or not you know how when you go in. And It’s not like members of the military wander around armed at all times - or really ever if you limit it to places where US domestic gun laws would apply. This is the worst rationalization.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
18-year-olds have access to guns because the controlling minority of the US cares more about easy access to guns than about the lives of people killed by gun-using murderers. It's as simple as that.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Bah this is not a derail worth continuing but you know that isn't what I meant. If a kid is old enough for Uncle Sam to shove a rifle in his hands then society has said he's old enough to own rifles. You can agree or disagree with if society SHOULD say that, (and I'd fall on the side of "maybe it shouldn't") but you can't say it doesn't.

Roadie posted:

18-year-olds have access to guns because the controlling minority of the US cares more about easy access to guns than about the lives of people killed by gun-using murderers. It's as simple as that.

Eh, 18 is the number we slapped on legal adulthood and drinking is one of the few things (gambling being the other one) that breaks that rule. Like, you aren't wrong about anything you said in this post re: the controlling minority but the reason 18 year olds have access to guns is that they are legal adults.

I'm very for stronger gun control but I don't think an age restriction is going to be very helpful compared to just about any other kind of restriction.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It would actually be better if Nazis are given even better public platforms to share their beliefs on, to coax more of them out. Just make sure they can be tracked and IDed, so when they post something that incites violence or terrorism they can be arrested and jailed for breaking laws that already exist. Once they get released in their 30s their hormone levels would have fallen off so they will no longer act on their impulsive violent tendencies.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Until they use that platform to grow and organize enough to acquire power in the government and enact fascistic policy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mistaya posted:

Bah this is not a derail worth continuing but you know that isn't what I meant. If a kid is old enough for Uncle Sam to shove a rifle in his hands then society has said he's old enough to own rifles. You can agree or disagree with if society SHOULD say that, (and I'd fall on the side of "maybe it shouldn't") but you can't say it doesn't.

Eh, 18 is the number we slapped on legal adulthood and drinking is one of the few things (gambling being the other one) that breaks that rule. Like, you aren't wrong about anything you said in this post re: the controlling minority but the reason 18 year olds have access to guns is that they are legal adults.

I'm very for stronger gun control but I don't think an age restriction is going to be very helpful compared to just about any other kind of restriction.

Hell, let's try it anyway, it couldn't hurt.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

qkkl posted:

It would actually be better if Nazis are given even better public platforms to share their beliefs on, to coax more of them out. Just make sure they can be tracked and IDed, so when they post something that incites violence or terrorism they can be arrested and jailed for breaking laws that already exist. Once they get released in their 30s their hormone levels would have fallen off so they will no longer act on their impulsive violent tendencies.

Too obvious to be good bait really. Caught u slippin qkkl

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Jonathan Katz was my roommate in college for 2 years. You guys post him a lot from Twitter.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Interesting read about capitalism in China and a weird bicycle ghost town.

https://twitter.com/InvariantPersp1/status/1122344396052058112?s=19

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Scipiotik posted:

Jonathan Katz was my roommate in college for 2 years. You guys post him a lot from Twitter.

David Klion is a friend of mine from middle school :shrug: It was weird seeing D&Ders talk about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1122456181199507456