Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Perestroika posted:

Since dumbass youtubers with guns came up a couple pages ago, I just stumbled over a dumbass youtuber with swords. Basically it's a channel about a dude hitting various reproductions of medieval armour with various medieval weapons to see what happens. It's not the least bit scientific, but it's usually fairly entertaining to watch. Now this time around he was testing a particular kind of shield, and figured that to make the test more accurate, they should simulate somebody holding that shield by its grip so that it'd accurately flex and move against a strike.

So how'd he simulate it? Just by straight up having an actual guy hold the shield up while he swung and threw axes at it. Without any other sort of protective equipment to be seen. :psyduck:

https://i.imgur.com/7nR4xeD.mp4

This generation's Tripp Fisk coming along well.

https://youtu.be/uuI1zY46OX0

RandomPauI posted:

There's an interesting YouTube on spears being more useful than swords for ye olden combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

LindyBeige is almost universally full of poo poo. He assumes that what makes sense to him after thinking about it for 20 minutes, or works in LARPing, must have been how it really was, ignoring any actual documented accounts in the process.

I recommend his video about how class systems are good.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Spotted in the wild yesterday in Cleveland Heights, OH...

OK, I guess this is fine.

I like the bolts sticking out several inches (looked like spikes at first glance)

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Holy poo poo that's awful. Looks like it's the new Amazon buildings, which i think (?) are unoccupied yet so at least it's not as bad as it could've been :(

It happened around Mercer Street & Fairview Avenue which I would bet is in the top ten busiest intersections in all of Seattle on a typical weekday. This could've been way, way worse if it happened on a weekday afternoon.

Apparently the crane was in the process of being disassembled when the accident happened. I went through the crash site only an hour prior to the accident too :stonk:

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 28, 2019

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I have a strong stomach, but those photos made me have to take a couple extra breaths. Goddamn, dude.

I lost a toenail once because I'm almost inevitably barefoot, and someone backed into me and lifted the nail clean off my big toe. The real OSHA/Health Care Horror part was when I put dry gauze on the wound...and then tried to peel it off the next day. PROTIP: DON'T DO THAT. Use some antiseptic goop upon application, and/or soak it off in warm water.

I lost a big toe nail last year because I didn't re-lace my boots before descending 4300 feet back to the trailhead. It turned black so I kept it taped on until the blister healed and the new toenail pushed it off.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
Also I'm extremely glad me and my gf didn't decide to head into downtown today. The crane might as well be our city bird for how many of them are perched over downtown.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

LindyBeige is almost universally full of poo poo. He assumes that what makes sense to him after thinking about it for 20 minutes, or works in LARPing, must have been how it really was, ignoring any actual documented accounts in the process.

Don't forget about the :biotruths: sprinkled around.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

PittTheElder posted:

My favourite is his video on the Bren being a better weapon than the MG 42, despite them being used in different roles by two armies with completely different doctrines and not being directly comparable at all. One of his reasons why is that "the UK won the war".

He is 100% full of the dumbest poo poo and if he's ever right it's entirely by accident.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

GotLag posted:

My favourite is his video on the Bren being a better weapon than the MG 42, despite them being used in different roles by two armies with completely different doctrines and not being directly comparable at all. One of his reasons why is that "the UK won the war".

He is 100% full of the dumbest poo poo and if he's ever right it's entirely by accident.

But you see his extensive experience with live action role playing makes him the best possible person to draw conclusions of this sort, furthermore...

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I mean when it's stuff that's directly related to larping then yeah he can have useful info, like on how with medieval leather boots you have to choose between traction on mud and traction on hard surfaces (hobnails or no).

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This might be a thread classic but it's new to me and :stonkhat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3bnRcuQfY

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Bummer, if he's still on my YouTube list I'll unsubscribe from him. But I still like seeing spearmen destroying swordmen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah nah not that one.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GotLag posted:

I mean when it's stuff that's directly related to larping then yeah he can have useful info, like on how with medieval leather boots you have to choose between traction on mud and traction on hard surfaces (hobnails or no).

Could you have hobnails, but then a thick sheet of leather with holes punched in it that you can fit over the hobnails? Pull it off or put it on as neccesary.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Could you have hobnails, but then a thick sheet of leather with holes punched in it that you can fit over the hobnails? Pull it off or put it on as neccesary.

you should go back to 700AD and become a billionaire

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-29/workers-expose-shocking-conditions-inside-melbourne-factory/11048346

About that factory that blew up in Melbourne.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Powershift posted:

zip ties AND cling wrap, that poo poo ain't goin nowhere.

He upgraded!

Maybe it's like that old joke about smuggling bicycles. He's not transporting pallets, he's stealing cars and using the pallets as a distraction.

Video edition:
https://i.imgur.com/mBeJkUC.mp4

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Today I saw a man driving a Ford Taurus while holding two saw horses out the window. They were bouncing off the door and poo poo. Like what the gently caress are you building that it's worth sacrificing your cars paint job?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Today I saw a man driving a Ford Taurus while holding two saw horses out the window. They were bouncing off the door and poo poo. Like what the gently caress are you building that it's worth sacrificing your cars paint job?

A Ford Taurus? Basically any old shack.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How do they even stack the pallets that high, and how to they plan to get them off without being smashed by them?

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
unhook strap, hop in, floor it. duh.

i seriously don't get why people are wrecking their cars that bad for pallets. did i miss something or are cars still more expensive than pallets?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The OSHA is the neck injuries people get from trying the read the text.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Who are all these people stacking pallets on their cars, and why are they doing it???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BMan posted:

Who are all these people stacking pallets on their cars, and why are they doing it???

They are building rustic furniture to sell to HGTV to put in the tiny homes of billionaire caterpillar counters.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Pallet recycling places pay decent money for pallets (a few dollars each, last I heard) so people can pick them up for free and the more they can carry, the more they make. This leads very dumb people to try to carry way too many with vehicles that were never supposed to do it in the first place.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BMan posted:

Nobody likes making two trips.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Nocheez posted:

Pallet recycling places pay decent money for pallets (a few dollars each, last I heard) so people can pick them up for free and the more they can carry, the more they make. This leads very dumb people to try to carry way too many with vehicles that were never supposed to do it in the first place.

Then they get the bill from CHEP.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Bummer, if he's still on my YouTube list I'll unsubscribe from him. But I still like seeing spearmen destroying swordmen.

I like scholagladiatoria, try him out instead.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah Matt Easton owns and he actually does HEMA which is still dorky as hell but also like actual beating each other with swords and poo poo instead of extolling the virtues of magic missile vs. fireball like Lindy

Also way less annoying to listen to and his videos are less "_____ is wrong and _____ is right" and more "check out how loving dope this cavalry sword is goddamn"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t see the word “saw” in this post until the second time I read it. It was a pretty funny image the first time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

GotLag posted:

His own spears vs swords vid makes it obvious someone with a shield will make it through the spears’ effective range most of the time then wreck your poo poo.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
You know what.... I know it wasn't in the terms but I'm bookmarking this and saying I lost my :toxx: because gently caress those guys.

Memento posted:

... Let's not trade bans over it though, I'll put up $25 to the forums and $25 to your charity of choice as my stake.

Cable Guy posted:

OK... I'll match instead of the ban.
$25 US to forums, plus $25 AU to charity of your choice. My choice if I win would be Lort Smith Animal Shelter
Memento... name your charity, I'll pay up on Friday when I get paid.

Edit: link

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 29, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

One decent hammer strike on the side of one of those barrels and you've got yourself a nice one-car pileup son.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Cojawfee posted:

Baku is just insanity because they act surprised when someone crashes at the narrow bit that goes between two castle walls. I can't imagine what the mason who built that castle 300 years ago or whenever would think about race cars going through there. F1 can't go to a bunch of actual race tracks because they don't meet the safety standards, but you can throw some tire walls around town, pay FOM a hundred million dollars and then you've got Lewis Hamilton crashing his car outside your apartment window.

overall this is good and cool though

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Look safe :D

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Perestroika posted:

Since dumbass youtubers with guns came up a couple pages ago, I just stumbled over a dumbass youtuber with swords. Basically it's a channel about a dude hitting various reproductions of medieval armour with various medieval weapons to see what happens. It's not the least bit scientific, but it's usually fairly entertaining to watch. Now this time around he was testing a particular kind of shield, and figured that to make the test more accurate, they should simulate somebody holding that shield by its grip so that it'd accurately flex and move against a strike.

So how'd he simulate it? Just by straight up having an actual guy hold the shield up while he swung and threw axes at it. Without any other sort of protective equipment to be seen. :psyduck:

https://i.imgur.com/7nR4xeD.mp4

There's a channel called Zombie Go Boom that tests various weapons on blood-filled replicas of human heads (which they claim to be accurate in terms of skull and tissue density). The problem is neither of them are actually trained professionals, just dudes who like to play badass and whack poo poo with machetes, so their replica of the improvised spiked club from The Last of Us went poorly.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

IPCRESS posted:

Then they get the bill from CHEP.

Commonwealth used to employ private detectives around here (Tampa Bay) just to catch people trying to turn in blue pallets. No money and a nice, hefty fine.

The ones that get me are the people jumping in dumpsters at night to grab cardboard. $50k truck, $500 trailer, $35 cardboard bale. How the gently caress do you even get your gas money back?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

One decent hammer strike on the side of one of those barrels and you've got yourself a nice one-car pileup son.

Yeah... ok, Thor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

madeintaipei posted:

Commonwealth used to employ private detectives around here (Tampa Bay) just to catch people trying to turn in blue pallets. No money and a nice, hefty fine.

The ones that get me are the people jumping in dumpsters at night to grab cardboard. $50k truck, $500 trailer, $35 cardboard bale. How the gently caress do you even get your gas money back?

Fine who? Assuming these are just random people grabbing pallets, what authority would that company have over them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a channel called Zombie Go Boom that tests various weapons on blood-filled replicas of human heads (which they claim to be accurate in terms of skull and tissue density). The problem is neither of them are actually trained professionals, just dudes who like to play badass and whack poo poo with machetes, so their replica of the improvised spiked club from The Last of Us went poorly.

After lacerating his left shoulder, the victim cradles the weapon in his right arm such as that the sharp ends of weapon are digging into his torso just past the area covered by padding.