Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

They literally push people based on how much merch they sell

yeah and it's all bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I'm just being a rowdy boy.

Rowdeeeee boooooy

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

fart blood posted:

It is snake oil, sir. It’s on the level of essential oils. :colbert:
This is why generalizations are bad. I know "essential oils" has become kind of a catch-all term for snake oil as of late for reasons I'm not entirely clear on, and I'm sure there are "miracle" uses of essential oils that are total B.S., but that doesn't mean that, say, tea tree oil doesn't have some dermatologic uses or that lavender isn't relaxing.

Cupping to removed vaguely-defined "toxins" is clearly nonsense. Cupping for massage-like benefits, among some of the other things that there have been clinical trials on? That's a different matter.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The_Rob posted:

I'm just being a rowdy boy.

Well it does say it in the title of the subforum. That's an endorsement if I ever saw one.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

davidbix posted:

This is why generalizations are bad. I know "essential oils" has become kind of a catch-all term for snake oil as of late for reasons I'm not entirely clear on, and I'm sure there are "miracle" uses of essential oils that are total B.S., but that doesn't mean that, say, tea tree oil doesn't have some dermatologic uses or that lavender isn't relaxing.

Cupping to removed vaguely-defined "toxins" is clearly nonsense. Cupping for massage-like benefits, among some of the other things that there have been clinical trials on? That's a different matter.

You didn't quote the part where I said I liked your work. I'm hurt.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the clinical trials on cupping are still b.s. that support similar useless things like pricking a finger to relieve indigestion or smearing "medicine" on your skin to reduce blood pressure

i think jordynne grace just tried it one time though? to try it. Because it's out there. we've all tried some interesting thangs. let me know if she is a huge proponent instead

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

One more thing i'd be interested in is if there are any wrestlers who like to roleplay brutally abusing the poo poo out of people, and sometimes those people are weaker than them and sometimes they involve with deadly weapons. i'm not looking to be a fan of that creepy poo poo

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

At least in Florida where I used to practice, if your income drops you petition to get both alimony and child support reduced based on your income. Lots of guys lost jobs and then didn't actually file a petition though, and any change in your payment amount would only start from when you asked. So if you were unemployed for a while and just not paying, you still owed everything back because you never filed to have it changed. Also the judges can "impute" income. If you were an engineer and you decided to become a barista to spite your ex, the judge can say "no, you can earn an engineer salary so you still owe an engineer's support payment."

I did family law for an incredibly short period of time like a decade ago and I was never good at legal practice so take all of the above with a big grain of salt substitute (protect your heart, kids!).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

davidbix posted:

Essential oils smell nice, and yes, tea tree oil has legitimate cleaning uses. I think there are some big time MLMs going on right now selling essential oils as cancer cures and crap like that. Which, is dangerous bullshit if it gets people to skip real treatments. But if you want to clean yourself with a tea tree oil soap or light an oil burner and have your house smell nice, I think those are cool things to do.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Listen. These hot stone massages won't reverse my broken ankle, but it feels good.

My point is, Will Ospreay is a gently caress boy

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Aren't there tons of entertainment stars and athletes that have gone broke due to alimony and child support being set too high after their career was over and they wouldn't adjust it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in many cases, the child support payments were increased after the famous person stopped making as much money, as a way of putting pressure on them to go back to making money instead of stopping. Rick moranis retired from acting in order to work 3 jobs to keep up the child support after his wife passed away.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

fart blood posted:

You didn't quote the part where I said I liked your work. I'm hurt.
I didn't want to conflate the issues. But thank you for the positive feedback. :)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

the clinical trials on cupping are still b.s. that support similar useless things like pricking a finger to relieve indigestion or smearing "medicine" on your skin to reduce blood pressure
Citation needed.

Also "transdermal medication does not exist" is kind of a weird take.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cavauro posted:

in many cases, the child support payments were increased after the famous person stopped making as much money, as a way of putting pressure on them to go back to making money instead of stopping. Rick moranis retired from acting in order to work 3 jobs to keep up the child support after his wife passed away.

how is he paying child support to a dead woman?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he got u

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3289625/ posted:

Despite the large number of studies on cupping therapy, including the 62 new ones, there remains a lack of well-designed investigations. Of the 135 RCTs included in this review, 84.44% were high risk of bias.

quote:

In conclusion, the results of this systematic review suggest that cupping therapy appears to be effective for various diseases/conditions, in particular herpes zoster, acne, facial paralysis, and cervical spondylosis. However, the main limitation of our analysis was that nearly all included trials were evaluated as high risk of bias. As such, it is necessary to conduct further RCTs that are of high quality and larger sample sizes in order to draw a definitive conclusion.

https://www.tmrjournals.com/tmr/EN/10.12032/TMR201915094 with a ridiculous claim posted:

Medical cupping treatment can effectively alleviate metabolic indices and subcutaneous fat thickness at the abdomen in patients with metabolic syndrome and abdominal obesity.

quote:

Changes in metabolic indices, including waist circumference (WC), blood pressure, fasting triglyceride (TG), high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C), fasting blood glucose (FBG), 2-h blood glucose (2hBG), and subcutaneous fat thickness were observed and compared before and after treatment among the three groups.

quote:

In total, 75 patients with MetS with abdominal obesity were randomly divided into three groups: medical cupping, acupuncture, and waiting. Patients in the medical cupping group received smearing of Chinese medicine and cupping twice a week for 8 weeks.

davidbix posted:

"transdermal medication does not exist" is kind of a weird take.

thank you for the good faith argument but when i put quotes around "medicine" i didn't mean painkillers or any of the few actual drugs that can be absorbed into the bloodstream and take effect the same way they would orally. look into TCM with respect as i have, and learn of its many good and bad ways

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

how is he paying child support to a dead woman?

he is paying it to their foster parents.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

davidbix posted:

Citation needed.

Also "transdermal medication does not exist" is kind of a weird take.

its also a huge leap from the Complete Joke Post you quoted. i mean christ man i thought you were supposed to be a journalist look at your source

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MotU posted:

its also a huge leap from the Complete Joke Post you quoted. i mean christ man i thought you were supposed to be a "journalist" look at your source

whoops sorry fixed it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those things i quoted are all a part of that being a joke post. if you respond to them by pointing out the errors further, then you've been fooled, and i've won.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cavauro posted:

those things i quoted are all a part of that being a joke post. if you respond to them by pointing out the errors further, then you've been fooled, and i've won.

Cavauro's razor.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

thank you for the good faith argument but when i put quotes around "medicine" i didn't mean painkillers or any of the few actual drugs that can be absorbed into the bloodstream and take effect the same way they would orally. look into TCM with respect as i have, and learn of its many good and bad ways
It read as if you were also taking issue with the idea of medicine being rubbed on the skin.

"Smearing of Chinese medicine" is incredibly vague; is it detailed further in the study?

My point above, though, was more "cupping for muscular tightness etc is pretty well accepted as legit, as is some other stuff."

Of course, studies on acupuncture and cupping are never really going to show as much as we'd hope to learn because you can't exactly double blind them. There have been attempts at it for acupuncture, and the conclusions I've seen basically amount to "Why are we doing this? If the collapsable needle feels the same as a needle going in, then it's not inert and this is a loving pointless study." I haven't read up on cupping trials, but I would think that "powerful loving suction cup" has the same blinding limitations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I admit full defeat in every way and don't know anything about any medicine. i've never heard of any of this—cupping itself—before today and looked into it for roughly 20 minutes in total. i can't stop lying on here and acting like i know anything about anything. i do the same thing with wrestling and all of my interests. the only thing i've done in my life is pretend to like something and try to pass as one of the fellows whose communities i've invaded. But there is one true thing. I'm Rajah from RajahWWF.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Cavauro posted:

I admit full defeat in every way and don't know anything about any medicine. i've never heard of any of this—cupping itself—before today and looked into it for roughly 20 minutes in total. i can't stop lying on here and acting like i know anything about anything. i do the same thing with wrestling and all of my interests. the only thing i've done in my life is pretend to like something and try to pass as one of the fellows whose communities i've invaded. But there is one true thing. I'm Rajah from RajahWWF.

I run a cupping practice out of my van. If you want I'll give you a free session

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going to send you a pm asking about whether or not you expect me to advertise your clinic on my website

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The only cups I’m interested in double d’s

-Kevin Dunn, possibly

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

oldpainless posted:

The only cups I’m interested in double d’s

-Kevin Dunn, probably
fixed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

On the one hand I think cupping is silly, on the other I am scared of Yuji Nagata.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m a licensed massage therapist and specialize in Neural Muscular Therapy and fascial work. I can point to studies that show benefits to what I do and I can see the long term difference it makes in my clients range of motion and improvement in areas where they experience pain related to issues with connective tissue but I can’t claim that there isn’t confirmation bias, possible placebo effects etc involved because the science isn’t really there yet. You have to be able to be sceptical about your own work in any field that’s new or under studied, which can be difficult if it’s what you’re trying to make a living doing. I know way too many massage therapists who think they can achieve results that have absolutely no place in what their field of practice claims to do which unfortunately gets wrapped up in how people perceive their methodology for better or for worse.

I’ve had cupping done and it probably does help to break up some minor adhesions towards the surface of the skin and stimulates blood flow in those areas but it’s probably not going to really help much by itself over an extended period of time. That’s just my opinion on it at the moment though, and that could easily change since these kinds of therapies tend to pop up and evolve way faster than people can give them a rigorous field of testing. I wish there was more focus on any sort of physical body manipulation as therapy because it’s not overly helpful to have a bunch of people immediately claiming woo or blindly flocking to whatever new fad appears under the umbrella

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Can't be anymore bullshit than kinesio tape.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
you ever see those videos where the girl puts the cup on her private part, it's wild. i didn't see a video like that until i googled it because of this thread, not for any other reasons before this

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The only cupping pro wrestlers should be concerned with is cupping their ears with their hand to hear the audience holler at them. Or maybe they should get their ears checked because a large amount of people yelling is usually easy to hear. Depends on the wrestler

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Love Jordy, hate that cup bullshit

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

You didn't change anything

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Gumball Gumption posted:

The alimony would most likely be adjusted if his income heavily dropped.

Ask Dave Foley how much he was expected to pay long after News Radio came and went.

oldpainless posted:

The only cups I’m interested in are ones where I don't chip my giant Bucky Beaver teeth.

-Kevin Dunn, absolutely

fixed

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 29, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's because the law was badly hosed up in that uncivilized land.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Wrestlers Goons on Social Media The Pros & Cons of Traditional Chinese Medicine, or Lack Thereof

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

:gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Pretty big post from Kimber Lee. Hope she continues to improve her life and get better

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw1_j_tBnnJ/