Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If I have kids my strongest advice to them would be, unless they're really dedicated to going into law or medicine or something else that takes like eight years to get started in, to take not just one gap year but several. Go travel, go work, go get a taste of what the real world is like, then start uni in your early 20s. Going directly from high school to tertiary study is not ideal. At least it wasn't for me, my first degree was a waste of time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Compared to the other FTA catch-up services iView is manna from heaven

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Compared to the other FTA catch-up services iView is manna from heaven

The quality is still garbage though. Even at 720P it'd be a massive improvement.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
:itwaspoo:

quote:

Liberal billboard truck smeared with faeces in vandalism incident

Two trucks carrying mobile billboards paid for by the Canberra Liberals were vandalised in Ainslie on Sunday, with one of them targeted with one of nature's own weapons.

One truck was graffitied with the word "false" in spray paint, while a bag of faeces was left on the truck bed of the other truck.

On further inspection, it was also found that faeces had been smeared inside the door handle on the driver's side of the truck.

According to managing director of Big Impact Advertising, Tamer Bakr, who owns the trucks, the door handle discovery was made when a staff member tried to open the door.

"It's a very low act and shouldn't be in a political arena," Mr Bakr said.

"I started and operated Big Impact for 11 years. We've done many political campaigns for Labor, for Liberals, for corporations, for small business - we've never had such aggressive attacks on the trucks like this, on the billboards."

Mr Bakr said it was particularly egregious as it affected him and his employees, not any politicians.

"It goes to us and we have nothing to do with it, we're just operators."

They were parked in Ainslie, near the Ainslie football club where the Liberal party held its ACT campaign launch yesterday.

A spokeswoman for the Canberra Liberals campaign blasted the vandalism.

"Those responsible for this abhorrent behaviour have no respect for their fellow Canberrans, no respect for the small business owner or truck drivers just doing their job."

The trucks, which features images of Labor leader Bill Shorten and Chief Minister Andrew Barr include the words "Labor will tax you to death".

Spray paint was used on the other truck, which took issue with the billboard's message and also spray painted the number plate as well.

The police hadn't been involved, Mr Bakr said, as his priority was getting the trucks back to the depot and cleaned up and on the road again.

"To persist with the campaign and the message that we will not be stopped."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6094787/liberal-billboard-vandalism-gets-stinky/?cs=14329

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Don Dongington posted:

Yes, but I don't jump straight to the conclusion that teaching performance is universally a problem at University vs secondary education because of it. When you consider the recent epidemic of students being enrolled with insufficient ATARs, and the fact that the only way for Universities to gain access to funding beyond research grants is by enrolling more students, things become a lot less straightforward than "lecturers bad".

Also the completion rate for year 12 isn't great in a lot of the country. The completion rate for year 12 in NSW is only 74%, in the NT and TAS it's actually less than 66%.

I'm pretty sure you're quoting certification rate here, i.e the total amount of people with a higher school certificate. I'm talking about the amount of people who begin university degrees and don't finish.

Pretty sure they drop out rate for year 12 is a lot lower than 26%

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

poo poo was already smeared on the billboards.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

quote:

The officer who accessed Julie’s details, senior constable Neil Punchard...

The tribunal heard, and police accepted, evidence that Punchard made “inflammatory comments” when he sent Julie’s details to her violent former husband.
“Just tell her you know where she lives and leave it at that. Lol. She will flip,” Punchard wrote in one text message.

Jesus what a sack of poo poo.
ACAB

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

More Queensland being bad news:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/29/qut-fun-run-forced-to-award-womens-prize-money-after-backlash

"What? Women can run in events these days?"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
lmao Sydney prepoll had Kerryn Phelps, ALP and nobody else handing out HTVs.

disappointed I didn’t get to meet Mr Tie-Dye

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Government funded childcare is a step in the left's plan to indoctrinate children.

Basically conservatives want to keep kids stupid so that they also vote conservative, right? So less education is better?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amethyst posted:

I'm talking about the amount of people who begin university degrees and don't finish.

How many of those go onto study a different degree though?

Edit: or are those numbers the people who start, but then don't complete any degree at uni?

hambeet fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 29, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

In the mailbox today:

What a sad little thing it is. I wonder if they can even afford corflutes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bernstrike posted:

lmao Sydney prepoll had Kerryn Phelps, ALP and nobody else handing out HTVs.

disappointed I didn’t get to meet Mr Tie-Dye

He was probably still asleep.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Buttcoin purse posted:

Basically conservatives want to keep kids stupid so that they also vote conservative, right? So less education is better?

Conservatives: Educated people vote left, and as such education is clearly indoctrination, because there's no way I could possibly be an idiot.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

ewe2 posted:

In the mailbox today:

What a sad little thing it is. I wonder if they can even afford corflutes.

Lol that's not even trying.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It's literally one-sided, folded and and stuffed into an envelope with "Dear Voter" on the front :v:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hambeet posted:

How many of those go onto study a different degree though?

Edit: or are those numbers the people who start, but then don't complete any degree at uni?

The figure i'm quoting was specifically to students who started a degree in 2010. Of those students, only 64% have completed a degree.

I'd like to find larger aggregates, if you can find them.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

https://twitter.com/SimoLove/status/1122640943893499904

It's cool how they remove the party labels on HTV cards to hide their shame

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

ewe2 posted:

It's literally one-sided, folded and and stuffed into an envelope with "Dear Voter" on the front :v:

I saw Lisa Chesters (Labor MP) speak at a thing a few weeks ago. She seems good, quite passionate about her communities, ideas of her own, and (probably) soon to have a Ministerial portfolio.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't wait to vote Alan Tudge out of my seat.

His office have been going crazy in my suburb, there's nearly a sign every 500 metres here.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Burnside's got 'em shook if they're putting him last

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol some of the questions Morrison was asked at his press conference

“How mad are you at the Union Thugs for suing our brave police officers”

“How excited are you that you’re going to win the election as proven by the latest poll”

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

This arrived on my phone, the blanked out name is my dad's. He didn't want to help Kevin's Army for some reason.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Korgan posted:

This arrived on my phone, the blanked out name is my dad's. He didn't want to help Kevin's Army for some reason.

Sorry about your fundie dad

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Before Times posted:

I saw Lisa Chesters (Labor MP) speak at a thing a few weeks ago. She seems good, quite passionate about her communities, ideas of her own, and (probably) soon to have a Ministerial portfolio.

She should be in line for one, too. Between her and the state members Maree Edwards and Jacinta Allen they're a bit of a power trio :v:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I uh... well.. Ugh,

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/labor-candidate-to-resign-over-antisemitic-post/news-story/bd76cc5f6aa480b3df73e2661e7e1377

quote:

Labor Northern Territory Senate candidate Wayne Kurnoth is expected to stand aside this morning after it was revealed by The Australian that he shared an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory that claims the world is being run by a secret ­society of Jewish shape-shifting lizards.

Labor sources told The Australian last night that Mr Kurnoth ­acknowledges that what he did was unacceptable.

After being counselled by senior Labor figures, he said he didn’t want to be a distraction to the party and would stand down.

His name will remain at the No 2 spot on Labor’s NT Senate ticket because ballot papers have already been printed.

Mr Kurnoth shared a video of British lecturer David Icke on his Facebook page in December 2015.

In the video, Mr Icke preaches his anti-Semitic conspiracy theory that an inter-dimensional race of giant Jewish lizards has hijacked the Earth and is stopping humanity from realising its true potential.

He claims American presidents, royalty and the Rothschild family are descendants of these reptiles.

Labor successfully campaigned to ban Mr Icke from coming to Australia earlier this year.

Mr Kurnoth also shared an image in October 2016, made by a fake news website, that spouts Mr Icke’s conspiracy that “Rothschild Zionists’’ secretly run the world by controlling the media, Hollywood, governments and global finance.

The Labor candidate was forced to apologise on Friday for posting an Islamic State-inspired image online depicting Malcolm Turnbull severing the head of ABC journalist Emma Alberici. His Facebook page was deleted that afternoon.

When asked about Mr Kurnoth on Friday, Opposition Leader Bill Shorten described him as “incredibly stupid” but refused to disendorse him as a Labor ­candidate.

Dvir Abramovich, chairman of the Anti-Defamation Commission, said it was highly alarming that a Labor candidate has shared the “virulent anti-Jewish rantings” of Mr Icke.

According to the commission, Mr Icke believes Jewish people bankrolled Adolf Hitler, caused the 2008 global financial crisis and staged the 9/11 terrorist attacks in New York, and that far-right groups are fronts for Jewish ­people.

“Words of hate and incitement matter, and it’s deeply troubling that a candidate running for elected ­office has trafficked in longstanding anti-Semitic conspiracy theories,’’ Dr Abramovich said.

He called on Mr Kurnoth to apologise and publicly dissociate himself from the anti-Semitic posts.

“Such bigoted slurs and scapegoating … have no place in Australian politics,’’ he said.

ALICE WORKMANPOLITICAL REPORTER

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Oh that, I thought everybody knew about our shapeshifting overlords :v:.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

alice workman strikes again, bringing down the labor machine off the back of a four year old facebook post

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

bell jar posted:

Sorry about your fundie dad

I should have been clearer. I showed that to my old man, he laughed and said they could gently caress off. No interest in their poo poo whatsoever.

Is that normal, to just text randoms in the hopes they'll come help you look popular? Seems dodgy

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Korgan posted:

Oh I signed up to that Australian conservatives app a while back to see what was happening on there. I should check that burner email account.

Maybe I should reinstall and see what they're talking about too.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Korgan posted:

I should have been clearer. I showed that to my old man, he laughed and said they could gently caress off. No interest in their poo poo whatsoever.

Is that normal, to just text randoms in the hopes they'll come help you look popular? Seems dodgy

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that they didn't just pull your dad's name, location, and (your) phone number out of thin air

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

I uh... well.. Ugh,

Yickes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Amethyst posted:

His #3 is prefencing alp and greens ahead of him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
More like Alice Workingforthereptileman

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i would prefer a lizard as pm to any of our current options, it doesn't even need to be a jewish shape-shifting lizard, just any old skink will do

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lizards pro rock policy has my vote.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Wait, the shapeshifting lizards are Jewish?

I thought "The Jews secretly control the world" and 'The Lizard People secretly control the world" were mutually exclusive conspiracies.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Alice Workman was on a podcast with the dogfucker lol

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Wait, the shapeshifting lizards are Jewish?

I thought "The Jews secretly control the world" and 'The Lizard People secretly control the world" were mutually exclusive conspiracies.

tired Simpsons meme.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

nankeen posted:

i would prefer a lizard as pm to any of our current options, it doesn't even need to be a jewish shape-shifting lizard, just any old skink will do

We already had Tony who was only one particularly dry day away from licking his eyeballs.