Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Woof Blitzer posted:

Can you do (assist) research as an undergrad?

I'm going to be doing that this summer with a professor in my accounting department. Tomorrow I'm going to be talking to my adviser about it, but in talking with my professor it shouldn't be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Yes but you're going to have to put in some effort in selling yourself and whatever interests/project. Engaging with faculty like that would be a good excersize though so you should start asking around and talking to people you think might be a good fit.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Woof Blitzer posted:

gently caress yeah you can. I've been in a biochemistry lab for 1.5 years getting credit for it. I took a class with the PI and liked the description of her research she gave.

I looked up her faculty page and read some of her published papers to get a better grasp of what she does before I went to an office hour and asked to join her lab.

In my experience the profs love to talk about their research more than the class they're teaching. But do know stuff about your class so you don't look like an idiot.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 29, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
TED(x) talks are the ones that basically any schmuck can do, right?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

make undergrad great again

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GD_American posted:

TED(x) talks are the ones that basically any schmuck can do, right?

Yeah, anyone can do a tedx talk.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What’s the difference? TED talk speakers are just more vetted or actually need credentials and or experience in the topic?

I’m imagining TEDx is a bunch of life coaches and Instagram influencers

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

What’s the difference? TED talk speakers are just more vetted or actually need credentials and or experience in the topic?

I’m imagining TEDx is a bunch of life coaches and Instagram influencers
TEDx is some weird extension of their brand that started after they started to get popular. Basically any idiot can do one.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
They’re both crap. This entire semester our English class was based around discussing TED talks. Insanely fun.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Snooki does Tedx, Bezos does Ted, that's the difference in moneycaliber.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
The distillation of a complex idea into a short talk with no supporting evidence and the creation of poor causal connections is entertainment presented as erudition. That's a meme in all but name.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
TED talks are mostly if not entirely elitist wankery. TEDx talks are a wild mixed bag, there is totally some gems in there.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Woof Blitzer posted:

my university specifically had some undergrad research stuff, although I didn't do it since I transferred in.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
If I haven't mentioned it, and if I have I'll mention it again, everyone needs to take a yoga class, whether it's a full on class or whatever is offered at your rec center. I'm making my players go and going myself and after 5+ hours sitting in classes it's amazing. Plus after years of sitting at a desk, your lower back will start experiencing problems. There are two small muscles that will get wrecked if you dont take care of them and I highly recommend getting after it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yoooo aside from the obvious of likely being surrounded by attractive athletic women, yoga is dope. A+ highly recommend. I hope the military implements it at some point. But I know some dudes have a lot of weird angst towards yoga for *checks notes,* reasons.

I actually put on a ton of mass doing only yoga.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I had an old S3 who would lead yoga twice a week for PT and it was the best workout I'd ever do in the Army.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

honestly the first I’ve ever heard of that

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Some of the power flow stuff is kinda decent as a workout. It really depends on the instructor though. I cant stand the hardcore traditionalists and mysticism and like the ones that just chill out and focus on the form and its purpose. The breathing, focus and meditation is actually important and a huge help outside as well. I was just going to do 1 hour a week but I'm getting like a 5-10% improvement so I moved it up to 3 and my body feels really good.

Seriously though, my school pays for the classes out of my student fees and there's a good chance others get this as well. Take advantage now cause lower back pain is real and it makes things like taking a poo poo uncomfortable.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah unless you go to 24 hour fitness yoga and maybe college it’ll definitely come with the mysticism

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah unless you go to 24 hour fitness yoga and maybe college it’ll definitely come with the mysticism

Bleh, I've been thinking about finding some sort of beginning Yoga class. I just want exercise without whatever mystical stuff.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Down Dog is a nice yoga app for beginners that doesn't do any mysticism stuff

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Sorry I hosed that up. I dislike the hardcore instructors cause they focus on the wrong thing and miss the point. An instructor should focus on form so you dont hurt yourself and then maybe explain some of the stuff so you're hitting the right muscle.

The mysticism is just silly puts a veneer on perfectly logical stuff and makes it more inaccessible. This should be the last thing stopping anyone.

I did this cause my players were running into lower body tightness and back pain. They knew they needed to go, they wanted to go, their body was telling them they needed to go and I told them as well and yet a lot of them arent taking advantage of it. Apparently this is rather common in men so this was just a wake up, get over yourself and just go, you need to make it a habit while it's easy and you can still touch your toes without pain.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Down Dog is a nice yoga app for beginners that doesn't do any mysticism stuff

I can’t hear this without thinking of the Down Doggy Bit from The League.

(It was a charity for dogs with Down Syndrome)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I’ll always be the first to say doing almost any yoga is good yoga. That said, I highly recommend at least doing a few months if not more under some sort of supervision so you have someone to correct your form, maybe slight adjustments, etc. Then from there do your home thing. Yoga with Adriene is one of the more popular ones on YouTube: she has a lot of different classes, all different lengths. Eight minute bedtime flow, 12 minute morning flows, 20 min flows for hips or back, and so forth.

There’s so many different types of yoga it can be really overwhelming, definitely look into the class descriptions. Some are purely mysticism based with chanting and such, incorporating some sort of flow. Some are just a vinyasa—which is a general term for a more flowing movement rather than holding long poses—style flow from start to finish. Those are generally the killer workouts. Maybe with a five minute shavasana at the end, which is pretty much just lying down and recollecting your thoughts. For me, nap time.

Definitely depends on the place, but many instructors will incorporate the Hindu philosophies and such. Some do, but certain classes of theirs are all business start to finish. I guess all I’m saying is try them all out, and find out which ones are up your alley. One class I go to starts with five minutes of some metaphorical type Hindu teachings, and a quick chant, then a really intense flow. I don’t entirely buy into the chanting, but, I just try to meditate on it. The instructor is world class and absolutely phenomenal, so I’ll deal with some chanting.

Even going to a studio I was often the only male in classes, so I’m happy when other dudes show interest. I think it’s getting more popular at a faster rate than ever now, and can only hope it becomes more widespread. I think especially as dudes age and realize they’re not as fast as they once were, and sort of drop off hard on the fitness part in life and mope around like Al Bundy talking about their prime. Yoga gives you no impact and you can be whatever size or fitness level. Progress and improvement that is both very rewarding and easy to track. You can work toward some really cool poses, even at an old age.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Modern yoga is not a centuries old practice though. There should be no mysticism. OG Yoga is all about breathing iirc

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

As long as I don't take certain classes, I just finished my last group project for undergrad. I am elated.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It’s a good feeling eh

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Oh yeah. I like being responsible for my own fuckups.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Aardvark posted:

Oh yeah. I like being responsible for my own fuckups.

I guess the guy behind me in my digital systems class doesn't. The whole semester he had been working with these two brothers on the labs and the project. Except they rarely come to class and one of them doesn't do the homework, so I have no idea what he's been doing. He apparently is a computer science major and just decided to take this class for funsies. Probably a bad choice if he's going to get a bad grade for not doing any of the labs. He told the professor that the plan was for one brother to design the circuits in Multisim, the other brother would build the circuits physically, and he would write up the report. I don't know what that would entail because my lab partner and I have just been pasting pictures of multisim and photos of our circuits directly into the lab instructions and uploading them and we've been getting 100s. I'm glad I lucked out and got a partner who knows what he's doing and shows up everyday.

I suppose I could write a book about people doing terribly in school when I'm putting in minimum effort, but it might be the same as anyone else's book. There's a guy in my physics class who is always late, and always falls asleep in class. He's also always trying to make some sort of point but he never knows what he's talking about and can't ever get his words out. So we just sit there for a minute or two while he stumbles through nothing. He's retaking this class because he did poorly in the previous semester, but seems to still be doing poorly this semester. I sort of feel sorry for him because he's making the same mistakes I did in my first attempt at college. I told him the other day that if he isn't getting an A, he might as well not retake the class because a lot of colleges will average the grades of all of your attempts to calculate your GPA to transfer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yoga is healthy. Spin classes are also fun, and i'm often the only guy in them as well.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Got a 63% on my software class final. It was supposed to be cumulative to justify it being a pass-or-fail-the-class final (if you fail the final you fail the class even though it's weighted the same as the rest of the exams, even if you have a 100% in the class) but it was over only material and components covered in class when I was gone on orders shooting for the state.

Basically oof, I'll have a c+ overall and still meet the GPA requirement or be close for my major so no harm but man did that hurt.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
My advisor just confirmed to me that viscoelacity is really complex, especially if its non-linear since that's really uncommon and almost always PhD territory and he isn't surprised both Chem/Biochem and Materials only brush on the linear stuff. Also, I need more lit review and why haven't I written up the paper to be published, capstone is second to that!!

Also, do JSON files contain images and if so how do I extract for analysis into R? Creating a convolutional neural net seems easy compared to actually getting the data...

Today was a whipsaw in stress levels.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

Yoga is healthy. Spin classes are also fun, and i'm often the only guy in them as well.

Spin classes own for indoor cardio in the winter, I need to find one now that I can't go to my free university gym spin classes. Wear a HRM during a spin class and you'll see how brutal that poo poo is.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

lightpole posted:

Also, do JSON files contain images and if so how do I extract for analysis into R? Creating a convolutional neural net seems easy compared to actually getting the data...
JSON files do not contain images; they do contain text in a fairly easy to read format of keys and values.

ex:
code:
{
  "A Thing":
  {
    "Type": "Something",
    "API Token": "changeme",
    "Channels":
    {
      "bot_test": null,
      "fantasyfootball": null,
      "general": null
    },
    "League ID": 12345,
    "League Year": 12345
  }
}
e: whaddya know, there's a website dedicated to this standard: https://json.org/

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Naked Bear posted:

JSON files do not contain images; they do contain text in a fairly easy to read format of keys and values.

ex:
code:
{
  "A Thing":
  {
    "Type": "Something",
    "API Token": "changeme",
    "Channels":
    {
      "bot_test": null,
      "fantasyfootball": null,
      "general": null
    },
    "League ID": 12345,
    "League Year": 12345
  }
}
e: whaddya know, there's a website dedicated to this standard: https://json.org/

Thanks, I was getting confused by the medical standards/acronyms. The images are in tars so now I just need to figure out how I'm going to assign a predictor to the 3k sets I have. And then find a whole bunch of power to run it.

Edit: People keep wanting me to push into new poo poo and I'm running out of capacity. I'm not sure I have the capability to run through medical imaging.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 4, 2019

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hi, you might know me from the "cunning linguist" thread.

I'm having a full on panic attack meltdown about finals week, which starts about 12 hours from now. I need hardcore negative and positive motivation to burn through one last paper and four finals. I spent yesterday totally paralyzed due to panic and today I got just enough work done to keep me from failing my science class. Please give me your best pep talks/asskickings.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wroughtirony posted:

Hi, you might know me from the "cunning linguist" thread.

I'm having a full on panic attack meltdown about finals week, which starts about 12 hours from now. I need hardcore negative and positive motivation to burn through one last paper and four finals. I spent yesterday totally paralyzed due to panic and today I got just enough work done to keep me from failing my science class. Please give me your best pep talks/asskickings.

Hey at least you aren't gonna be dealing with a 3 day hangover as you go into your finals.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Start with meditation or whatever it takes to get your panic under control and then start prioritizing items by importance. The worst that can happen is you fail everything and I dont know anyone who has died from that so I think you will be ok. Also maybe be a little more proactive and get stuff done sooner so you dont run into this next time?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

lightpole posted:

Start with meditation or whatever it takes to get your panic under control and then start prioritizing items by importance. The worst that can happen is you fail everything and I dont know anyone who has died from that so I think you will be ok. Also maybe be a little more proactive and get stuff done sooner so you dont run into this next time?

I did the stuff sooner for the mostpart except when I had to do the other stuff sooner because of due dates. And it's too late to do stuff sooner than now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Don't think about how stressful finals will be, think about how relaxed you will be once you slog through this last week. On Friday, I spent 14 hours working on an assignment for my English class that I should have spent the previous two weeks on. It sucked donkey balls, but I survived, I finished it on time, and was able to relax on Saturday. Now I just have to focus on my finals, which luckily are all on different days this time. Just remember that you aren't the first person to be stressed out about school, and you won't be the last. I can't tell you how many times I've thought I was done and I should just give up and fail the class. I eventually got through it and pulled out an A.

Also, thanks to the person that suggested Down Dog. I've done a couple of sessions and I am really enjoying it. This summer I really want to set up a schedule of hobbies I'm into so I'm doing something every day besides just browsing the internet and watching youtube. I'll add that to it.