Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

that sucks, I just want it because it's small

There's 1,000 different Android handheld gaming devices with controllers built in but not one overseas Android manufacturer that bothered to make a 4.2"-4.5" phone with recent hardware?

Sony Xperia Compact series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

Sony Xperia Compact series.

Sony pussed out and now their compact phones went from 4.7" to 5.0". And no headphone jack. So literally no reason to go with one over a Pixel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sony pussed out and now their compact phones went from 4.7" to 5.0". And no headphone jack. So literally no reason to go with one over a Pixel.

nah you're fine. the screens are indeed getting bigger but mostly bc the bezels are getting smaller. phone stays pretty much the same size. the most recent xz2 compact is only 0.3" taller than the z1 from 6 years ago, same width and depth, even though the new one has a 5 inch screen and the old one was 4.3.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 26, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

nah you're fine. the screens are indeed getting bigger but mostly bc the bezels are getting smaller. phone stays pretty much the same size. the most recent xz2 compact is only 0.3" taller than the z1 from 6 years ago, same width and depth, even though the new one has a 5 inch screen and the old one was 4.3.

OK thank you. I might have to consider it then.

If only a phone existed that matched the size of my Droid Mini :sigh:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah it's a bit more than 0.3" taller but overall it appears to remain the smallest flagship, still smaller than the galaxy S10e

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
lol sarnsung got this taken down

quote:

After two days of intense public interest, iFixit has removed our teardown of Samsung’s Galaxy Fold. That analysis supported our suspicions that the device provided insufficient protection from debris damaging the screen.

We were provided our Galaxy Fold unit by a trusted partner. Samsung has requested, through that partner, that iFixit remove its teardown. We are under no obligation to remove our analysis, legal or otherwise. But out of respect for this partner, whom we consider an ally in making devices more repairable, we are choosing to withdraw our story until we can purchase a Galaxy Fold at retail.

Our team appreciated the chance to look inside this ambitious device. All new products face challenges—this one perhaps more than most. We’re grateful to have shared a glimpse of how Samsung’s engineers addressed some of those challenges, and we look forward to sharing more as soon as possible.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Kins posted:

cowards

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What in the literal gently caress?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ok

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Kins posted:

I’m saddened ifixit folded to pressure from sarnsong

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

stop using screen size as an equivalent to body size. it's no longer a good metric; bezels and aspect ratio are significant factors in the overall size of a phone's body at this point. the size difference between an iphone 6 and xs is real small, but the diagonal screen size is 1.1" larger.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Kins posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190425075411/https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsung+Galaxy+Fold+Teardown/122600

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

sleepwalkers posted:

stop using screen size as an equivalent to body size. it's no longer a good metric; bezels and aspect ratio are significant factors in the overall size of a phone's body at this point. the size difference between an iphone 6 and xs is real small, but the diagonal screen size is 1.1" larger.

the size difference is real small, but the size difference is actually large

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

sleepwalkers posted:

OK my Droid Mini is my favorite phone size. I'm ignoring the size of the screen. Is there a phone with recent hardware that is the same physical size of the Droid Mini?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

this is a nightmare

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steve would have dumped the employee who came up with the notch into a septic tank and kept a small upper bezel on the iPhones until it became possible to hide the front camera entirely behind the screen.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a small upper and lower bezel would hide the cameras, remove the stupid curved corners, and make the swipe up gestures work better.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

samsung had that with the s8 and went fully stupid instead of keeping a sensible design

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Making the side bezels a bit thinner is mostly a good thing because it makes it easier to hold with one hand but no bezels on the top or bottom is completely ridiculous. It's fine on TVs but those don't have a mouth piece you talk into or an ear piece you need to listen into.

Also this notch thing means your phone is 90x more likely to break from previously-benign drops to the floor.

I'm not sure why the smaller Pixel 3 doesn't have a notch but I'm glad it doesn't and I really hope it stays that way with the 4. The only thing that will make me get rid of my Pixel 1 to be honest is when a new Pixel supports 5g.

And yes Steve Jobs absolutely would have publicly assaulted who even so much as suggested a notch. Hell, I think he would have actually murdered whoever decided to kill off the iPhone SE.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

OK my Droid Mini is my favorite phone size. I'm ignoring the size of the screen. Is there a phone with recent hardware that is the same physical size of the Droid Mini?

iphone se

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

is this technically android
https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1122867383104831488

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

no, sarnsung tvs run tizen, which is another linux but not based on anroid

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

also tizen somehow has more advertising and spyware than actual android

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Endless Mike posted:

merge several operating systems together, add Rasterman, and you get Tizen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

the customer is always wrong

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lomarf

https://petapixel.com/2019/04/29/nubia-red-magic-3-smartphone-shoots-8k-and-has-a-built-in-cooling-fan/

hey let me video this!

/whirrrrrr, battery counter starts visibly decrementing

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lomarf

https://petapixel.com/2019/04/29/nubia-red-magic-3-smartphone-shoots-8k-and-has-a-built-in-cooling-fan/

hey let me video this!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
luv 2 put my cooling fan inside an impermeable enclosure to protect it from the elements

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lomarf

hey let me video this!

not just a cooling fan, liquid cooling as well

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I have no real experience with Android, but I'm looking for a new (old) phone to play around with, get a feel for it, and see how I like Android. I'm looking for a phone that I could buy used, and would hopefully not be so cheap that it gives me a bad impression of the OS; in other words, fairly snappy and can handle me playing with multiple apps. I would like it to be a manufacturer without too many incidents of explosions, but isn't some sketchy Chinese brand, and something I could find used in the $50-80 range. I don't know how Android OS versions work, so I don't know whether old phones are compatible with newer versions of the OS, but it would be nice if it could run a relatively recent version.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for phones that might be good choices? There are so many different phones that browsing ebay has been overwhelming.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
source youre quotes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

graph posted:

source youre quotes

i hope that's OC, because just imagine the person that would earnestly write that and also think that this subforum and this specific thread would be the place to post it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

android is slow as poo poo and drops frames no maatter what hardware you throw at it, hope this helps OP!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

152 pages about how poo poo android is over a span of two years, i guess i better drop in to ask about what's the best new (old) phone to buy to get the real android experience.

OP, buy literally any phone, just pick one, it doesn't matter which. the experience you have on that can be extrapolated to the entire android ecosystem, top to bottom. it sucks, is slow, arbitrary things won't work and it's mostly random what they are, and there is no support worth mentioning so the version it comes with is the version that's supported.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

someone might tell you to buy an android one phone, do that, or don't it won't change anything about the actual end user experience.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
no one can recommend you an android phone because an integral part of the android experience is being faced with thousands of uniquely bad options and finding it within your soul to pick one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

truly, a meditation on the human experience

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

pseudorandom posted:

I have no real experience with Android, but I'm looking for a new (old) phone to play around with, get a feel for it, and see how I like Android. I'm looking for a phone that I could buy used, and would hopefully not be so cheap that it gives me a bad impression of the OS; in other words, fairly snappy and can handle me playing with multiple apps. I would like it to be a manufacturer without too many incidents of explosions, but isn't some sketchy Chinese brand, and something I could find used in the $50-80 range. I don't know how Android OS versions work, so I don't know whether old phones are compatible with newer versions of the OS, but it would be nice if it could run a relatively recent version.

Can anyone offer any suggestions for phones that might be good choices? There are so many different phones that browsing ebay has been overwhelming.

Nokia 6, you should be able to find one on ebay that does not go too far out of your price range. Android updates are a shitshow and wast majority of even slightly older phones will get jack poo poo but that Nokia still gets timely updates so it's one of the very few available choices. It's a mid range phone from 2017 so don't expect anything fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
the motorola xoom offers the true android experience. it won "best in show" when it was shown off at CES