Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
This is one of the consequences of public schools having their language programs gutted. I grew up in semi-rural Ohio and went to public schools and was forced to take a second language every year of middle school and high school (I wanted to anyway but it wasn't an option not to, which pissed off a lot of idiots). You had your choice of spanish, french, german, or latin (LOL). Learning even one other language when you are young makes learning new ones much easier. By the time my youngest sibling had graduated they had dropped the requirement because of all the yokels bitching that "we don't need to know no foreign speak to bring in the crops!" and new football gear doesn't pay for itself at the high school level.

mkultra419 has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah language classes are invaluable.

French and Spanish should be mandatory.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

etalian posted:

Also every spanish speaking co-worker I've worked with was interested in learning and improving their english at work.

Of course the white MAGA crowd think it's ethnic cleansing being forced to learn another language.

They care more about keeping everything the same than being decent human beings.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

yeah language classes are invaluable.

Sorry, but French is useless since only the French (and dumb Canadians) speak French. :v: Spanish is definitely invaluable though. And if you know Spanish, you basically know Italian since they are extremely similar.

However, some people do have trouble learning other languages, especially at older ages. I am not particularly good at languages.

Also, I worked in a pizza place for a while that had a bunch of Mexicans working in it too and some of them would make fun of my accent whenever I tried to speak some of the few Spanish phrases I know to them. Now generally speaking those who did were assholes personality wise, but stuff like that can be discouraging when trying to learn even just a few phrases from coworkers.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Esperanto, yo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my man French is spoken all over Africa.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

my man French is spoken all over Africa.

Oh yeah...I tend to forget that the French did a lot of colonizing there.

But still, gently caress French. Make those frogs speak American for saving their rear end in WW2! :v:

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
America is France's fault but TBF the English deserved it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

Sorry, but French is useless since only the French (and dumb Canadians) speak French. :v: Spanish is definitely invaluable though. And if you know Spanish, you basically know Italian since they are extremely similar.

However, some people do have trouble learning other languages, especially at older ages. I am not particularly good at languages.

Also, I worked in a pizza place for a while that had a bunch of Mexicans working in it too and some of them would make fun of my accent whenever I tried to speak some of the few Spanish phrases I know to them. Now generally speaking those who did were assholes personality wise, but stuff like that can be discouraging when trying to learn even just a few phrases from coworkers.

Don't feel bad dude, I'm a Mexican American and people still make fun of my Spanish, even though it's pretty good

Mexicans make fun of everyone extremely harshly, it's the thing that makes us get along with Black people well

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

Don't feel bad dude, I'm a Mexican American and people still make fun of my Spanish, even though it's pretty good

Mexicans make fun of everyone extremely harshly, it's the thing that makes us get along with Black people well

The ones who made fun of my accent were also usually the ones who escalate things quickly.

For example, throwing little pea sized balls of pizza dough at coworkers is a time honored game in a pizza place. But if one of those guys threw one at you and then you returned the favor a little while later, the next thing you know, you'd end up with a golf ball sized piece of dough whipped full speed at you from like 10-15 feet away.

I always felt like most of those guys could dish it out, but refused to take it, and when they did take it, the response would be over the top compared to what they received. If that makes any sense.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

euphronius posted:

Why do I need to learn the language of a country that can build a barricade but not a republic?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Move to Florida and learn Creole. It's infinitely easier than French and more fun to speak.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

:stonk:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

mods? MODS?!

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

mkultra419 posted:

This is one of the consequences of public schools having their language programs gutted. I grew up in semi-rural Ohio and went to public schools and was forced to take a second language every year of middle school and high school (I wanted to anyway but it wasn't an option not to, which pissed off a lot of idiots). You had your choice of spanish, french, german, or latin (LOL). Learning even one other language when you are young makes learning new ones much easier. By the time my youngest sibling had graduated they had dropped the requirement because of all the yokels bitching that "we don't need to know no foreign speak to bring in the crops!" and new football gear doesn't pay for itself at the high school level.

I'll actually stan for Latin a little bit here, it makes learning any Romance language much easier and because it's inflected you learn how case and declension work, which English speakers seem to really struggle with. I did three years of Latin and now I'm learning Russian and I feel it helped me a lot. also your English vocabulary will sneakily get better because so many ten dollar words have Latin origins.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

hard pass

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

if you want to learn kreyol, Montreal or NYC are good options as well :3:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

TMMadman posted:

The ones who made fun of my accent were also usually the ones who escalate things quickly.

For example, throwing little pea sized balls of pizza dough at coworkers is a time honored game in a pizza place. But if one of those guys threw one at you and then you returned the favor a little while later, the next thing you know, you'd end up with a golf ball sized piece of dough whipped full speed at you from like 10-15 feet away.

I always felt like most of those guys could dish it out, but refused to take it, and when they did take it, the response would be over the top compared to what they received. If that makes any sense.

Toxic masculinity is everywhere :(

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
this belongs here i think

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
French is good for Southeast Asia too, because colonialism. It’s the best language for traveling after English if you’re gonna leave the New World.

Also the Americans making fun of the French thing is totally passé. Their healthcare, housing, parental leave, social security, and welfare programs are all way better/more extant than ours.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Bass Concert Hall posted:

French is good for Southeast Asia too, because colonialism. It’s the best language for traveling after English if you’re gonna leave the New World.

Also the Americans making fun of the French thing is totally passé. Their healthcare, housing, parental leave, social security, and welfare programs are all way better/more extant than ours.

yeah but did you know that the French surrendered to the nazis? twice! really makes you think.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

When I was cycling in France a couple of years ago everyone was incredibly nice even though none of us could speak any French beyond "merci" and "bon jour" and we were in the mountains where nobody really spoke English. But go figure, being polite instead of an rear end in a top hat goes a long way toward how you are treated in return.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

They have that because they're willing to throw hands with the cops over rising gas prices, not because they actually understand whatever Badiou is trying to say.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I don't know any Spanish at all, but I think it is good to learn languages in general to expand your horizons, so I learned English.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Heartcatch posted:

I don't know any Spanish at all, but I think it is good to learn languages in general to expand your horizons, so I learned English.

I'm impressed by your commitment to masochism.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My Mississippi high school had German of all things. I don't regret taking it (got to actually visit Germany which was freakin awesome) but it has not been useful at all since.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
besides, according to the future historical documentary Firefly you should all be learning Chinese as a second language

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

i have to go to France for work in june and i sure do wish i spoke some of it lol. i just started doing duolingo for it and hopefully i can at least communicate a bit since ill have to get around without a car. I've done spanish with that app for a few years so at least i can infer some stuff based on commonalities shared. otoh, im fat enough to be "visibly american" so im sure they'll understand why im a hapless moron

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Byzantine posted:

My Mississippi high school had German of all things. I don't regret taking it (got to actually visit Germany which was freakin awesome) but it has not been useful at all since.

I want to learn German but from one of those classes out in Amish country so I speak in a goofy 17th century dialect or some poo poo

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Eat This Glob posted:

i have to go to France for work in june and i sure do wish i spoke some of it lol. i just started doing duolingo for it and hopefully i can at least communicate a bit since ill have to get around without a car. I've done spanish with that app for a few years so at least i can infer some stuff based on commonalities shared. otoh, im fat enough to be "visibly american" so im sure they'll understand why im a hapless moron

pro tip I got from someone who lived there and it was absolutely true, say "merci" a lot

Like, if you're not sure what to say, say "merci"

Contrary to popular belief, the French don't hate Americans, they hate arrogant/rude/impolite Americans

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Agean90 posted:

I want to learn German but from one of those classes out in Amish country so I speak in a goofy 17th century dialect or some poo poo

The Amish speak Dutch, which sounds like a goofy dialect of German.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm impressed by your commitment to masochism.

To be fair, learning English is part of the curriculum in most Asian schools. Learning it badly, mostly.

English orthography is something to behold though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Contrary to popular belief, the French don't hate Americans, they hate arrogant/rude/impolite Americans

what is the distinction here.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

besides, according to the future historical documentary Firefly you should all be learning Chinese as a second language

Friend of mine is from China and she loved Firefly because the Chinese swears were fantastically dirty.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nothus posted:

The Amish speak Dutch, which sounds like a goofy dialect of German.

??? Ones in thinking of speak German, they're called the Pennsylvania Dutch as a corruption of deutch

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pro tip I got from someone who lived there and it was absolutely true, say "merci" a lot

Like, if you're not sure what to say, say "merci"

merci, mon dude. really, it is appreciated. i dont know a damned thing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the Amish do not speak Dutch.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

stroll into Berlin and inform everyone that I talk like a 18th century farmer because I was taught wrong on purpose, as a joke

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

euphronius posted:

the Amish do not speak Dutch.

you dont know what they get up to on rumspringa. they might do some kinky poo poo like speak dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Creole is fun. There’s like no conjugation or tenses. When you know a few words to jam together, feeling like it’s probably real clumsy but might be understood, turns out yep that’s exactly how it’s supposed to be said.