Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
nthing for “languages required in high school” I took 4 years of German, visited the country twice. haven’t spoken it since and basically only remember a few phrases. I wish I took Spanish instead, it’d be infinitely more useful.

fun tidbit. my German teacher taught us a northern dialect and I got a little bit of a ribbing for speaking yokel German. kind of fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

anmwe!!!

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Eat This Glob posted:

i have to go to France for work in june and i sure do wish i spoke some of it lol. i just started doing duolingo for it and hopefully i can at least communicate a bit since ill have to get around without a car. I've done spanish with that app for a few years so at least i can infer some stuff based on commonalities shared. otoh, im fat enough to be "visibly american" so im sure they'll understand why im a hapless moron

I don't know poo poo about french but Google Translate has a feature that will OCR and translate text in real time which can help you read signs and stuff so gl with that

When I was in high school you could do Spanish, French or German and the future chuds all took German because they didn't want to do a "beaner" language. I took 2 years of spanish and am competent enough to shop at a Cardenas market and pretty much understand what I'm buying

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Toxic masculinity is everywhere :(

Southern European and Southern European derived cultures are all about that machismo.
Granted the flip side of this is the women are also macho which can and does lend itself to some tough rear end feminism.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

MunchE posted:

I don't know poo poo about french but Google Translate has a feature that will OCR and translate text in real time which can help you read signs and stuff so gl with that

France is super easy to navigate around knowing almost zero French as long as you are patient, polite, and able to google decently well. I was supposed to be on a high speed train from Geneva to Paris where the French strike cancelled the train and managed to take a regional train into France, take a bus to Lyon, and then take a train from Lyon to Paris (username has nothing to do with the city in France).

Google translate is pretty legit as well. Just download the full dictionary.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

MunchE posted:

lmao technology didnt even cross my mind. good call. i have a very pricey piece of tech I'm tethered to all day. I should probably use the thing for more than the awful app, podcasts, and occasionally directions.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for informing me that Duolinguo exists. I'm leveling up my Japanese during lunch and I will also use it to boost my Spanish which I've been lazy about.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

euphronius posted:

the Amish do not speak Dutch.

In fact the Dutch barely speak Dutch and the olds hate it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for informing me that Duolinguo exists. I'm leveling up my Japanese during lunch and I will also use it to boost my Spanish which I've been lazy about.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmfaoooo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Elephant Ambush posted:

It is great. The mobile app has tacked on a bunch of click through ad poo poo, but the quality is really good for a free (well, you know) product.

after 800-straight days of doing spanish lessons i was comfortable reading the local spanish weekly newspapers and could glean the meaning of the story if not the exact translation. i took no secondary language at school because it wasn't required and I'm sure I had some chud tendencies about pressing 1 for english or some dumb poo poo

unfortunately the app has made me a decent Spanish reader and not particularly adept as a spanish communicator, though I'm sure if a native speaker spoke to me like I was 3 years old I could follow along ok

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fits my needs posted:

too many trump threads

when he sits around the forums he sits around the forums

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Holy lmao

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm trying to find the one where it sounds like they're going to kill the cartoon owl if you skip your lessons

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

:catstare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been slacking on my Italian lessons; am I going to get kidnapped by Communists?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been slacking on my Italian lessons; am I going to get kidnapped by Communists?

Some fat guido is going to come by

"I heard you've been missing out on some lessons. Let me tell you a couple of tree tings..."

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eat This Glob posted:

unfortunately the app has made me a decent Spanish reader and not particularly adept as a spanish communicator, though I'm sure if a native speaker spoke to me like I was 3 years old I could follow along ok

Do you speak every single Spanish word out loud? That's what I do and I went from 0 to passable in basic conversation in a couple months

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Eat This Glob posted:

My experience has been uniform that in other countries Spanish speakers love that you are trying and do not care about your atrocious accent or terrible conjugation, or hacked together grammar.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Duscat posted:

this belongs here i think

Yes it does. Yes it does...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I had a buddy go to Germany a few years back and he said he couldn't practice his German because so many Germans instead used him to practice their English

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I had a buddy go to Germany a few years back and he said he couldn't practice his German because so many Germans instead used him to practice their English

this was true in my experience especially in Munich where they speak perfect English

rural areas not so much

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Epic High Five posted:

He can speak his German and they can speak their English. It's not that hard. Yes you don't get any experience listening and translating out of, but you still get experience translating into.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, I told my friend I was going to be studying French and German in preparation for a trip to Europe in 2021 and she just went "lmao everyone speaks english."

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, I told my friend I was going to be studying French and German in preparation for a trip to Europe in 2021 and she just went "lmao everyone speaks english."

it’s true but do it anyway.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Denmark is the worst/best for this; they all grow up watching stray BBC broadcasts and most of the signage and businesses have everything listed in English instead of Danish. I knew a guy who got a job there and was worried about not speaking Danish and after he went he never once encountered an instance where he needed to know Danish or have something translated.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Militant Lesbian posted:

Denmark is the worst/best for this; they all grow up watching stray BBC broadcasts and most of the signage and businesses have everything listed in English instead of Danish. I knew a guy who got a job there and was worried about not speaking Danish and after he went he never once encountered an instance where he needed to know Danish or have something translated.

Yeah and that's probably a good thing cause Danish is a weird languange.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
NYT has a piece up on Wisconsin's collapsing dairy industry

quote:

Wisconsin is known as “America’s Dairyland,” but the milk makers who gave the state its moniker are vanishing, falling prey to a variety of impediments, including President Trump and his global trade war. Over the past two years, nearly 1,200 of the state’s dairy farms have stopped milking cows and so far this year, another 212 have disappeared, with many shifting production to beef or vegetables.

….The fate of Wisconsin’s farmers is a high-stakes political predicament for Mr. Trump, who narrowly won the pivotal swing state in 2016 and hopes to keep it red in 2020….Mr. Trump’s trade approach has pushed many of Wisconsin’s already struggling dairy farmers to the edge. Milk prices have fallen nearly 40 percent over the past five years….That has coincided with Mr. Trump’s sweeping tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum, which were intended to help American manufacturers but have set off retaliatory tariffs from Mexico, Canada, Europe and China on American dairy products. Most painful for Wisconsin’s dairy farmers has been a 25 percent tariff that Mexico placed on American cheese, which is made with a significant volume of the state’s milk production.
:rip: Poovey Farms

Alas, funwrecker Kevin Drum digs through the numbers and shows that Wisconsin's dairy problems are probably not Trump's fault (they're actually California's, for some reason).

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Parity warning posted:

Do you speak every single Spanish word out loud? That's what I do and I went from 0 to passable in basic conversation in a couple months

that's probably the way to do it, but unless I'm trying to keep a streak alive on the weekend, I'm doing that poo poo at work. i can get away with nearly anything but muttering to myself in Spanish in a cube farm might get some strange looks from my boss who sits adjacent to me

pseudanonymous posted:

My experience has been uniform that in other countries Spanish speakers love that you are trying and do not care about your atrocious accent or terrible conjugation, or hacked together grammar.

i havent been to a spanish speaking country since I took up the language as a hobby :(. I should remedy that.

lol I just remembered back in 2007 my then girlfriend made me order food in Puerto rico because she was afraid she'd embarrass herself despite taking Spanish for 6 goddamn years. i dont know how badly I hacked it together, but I did get my dos " dos hugo day naran-ha y dos juevos free-toes y tostones"

when my buddy invited me to join him in mexico after his girlfriend broke up with him, i at least gave it a shot and i got to be pals with a petty weed dealer from paraguay who was also there on vacation :3: he was cool and when i said i wanted to go out and see some of real cancun, he brought me to Hooters. That wasn't cool, but i got to learn the joy of michiladas when i asked what kind of weird beer they were drinking in Spanish and the bartender served me up a glass of spicy cerveza

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i read somewhere that the dairy industry is having to push cheese sales extra hard because thanks to fallen demand in whole milk they're left with an enormous surplus of milk fat they need to do something with

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

(they're actually California's, for some reason).

happy cows, dog

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i read somewhere that the dairy industry is having to push cheese sales extra hard because thanks to fallen demand in whole milk they're left with an enormous surplus of milk fat they need to do something with

Just get the Amish to churn faster, dammit!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

chitoryu12 posted:

Just get the Amish to churn faster, dammit!

That's right, doll face...churn that butter for me.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
You guys need to start watching telenovelas and repeating the things they say as practice

I'm not kidding

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Eat This Glob posted:

that's probably the way to do it, but unless I'm trying to keep a streak alive on the weekend, I'm doing that poo poo at work. i can get away with nearly anything but muttering to myself in Spanish in a cube farm might get some strange looks from my boss who sits adjacent to me

I hear you, I'm too self conscious to do it even in an empty classroom with the door closed because it echoes so much I feel like people in the hall would still hear me saying random spanish words and phrases. If you can manage to do it more privately though it really is the way to go

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Get on my level; I've been practicing my Italian by watching Salo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Raptor1033 posted:

fun tidbit. my German teacher taught us a northern dialect and I got a little bit of a ribbing for speaking yokel German. kind of fun

This works the other way too. Everyone has probably at least heard (on TV if nothing else) black Africans speaking English with a British accent, but one of the fun things about SE Asia is you'll occasionally run into local people who learned their English from an Australian and they have that Digeri Dingo accent.

E: my afrikaans godmother once complained to me about her grandchildren's English developing an American accent because they were learning it from Dora the Explorer, she asked them to say giraffe in English and they sounded like little Americans it was pretty cute

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 21:25 on Apr 29, 2019

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

ElGroucho posted:

You guys need to start watching telenovelas and repeating the things they say as practice

I'm not kidding

To make this even easier, there's a Chrome extension that will recommend foreign language movies on Netflix and automatically pause them after every change in the captions so you can repeat the phrases you see.

no I will not be giving the name of the extension because I forgot it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Watching pro wrestling really helped my English comprehension, so watch Lucha Libre, kids.