Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I still don't understand what an Avengers world is at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Obviously it's a theme park with horrible gimmick rides.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

Kinda of a broad question, but who among comic book writers have pet characters for the Big 2? That is, characters they love writing and get super-protective of that it's very transparent in their work? It could also be for characters they didn't invent.

Greg Ruck seems really protective of his version of Wonder Woman.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Lurdiak posted:

I still don't understand what an Avengers world is at all.

Kingdom Hearts DLC

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
When it comes to getting paid character royalties I know Andy Lanning got some money after his daughter was playing Disney Infinity and Cosmo turned up in the game without any credit for him and Dan Abnett, who then had words with thier lawyers.

And that's the super hero origin of Thier very nice games room!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've been out of the game for a minute and was wondering if Neil Gaiman was working on finishing Miracle Man, and if the entire thing is ever going to get collected in an omnibus or two?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Hippo posted:

I've been out of the game for a minute and was wondering if Neil Gaiman was working on finishing Miracle Man, and if the entire thing is ever going to get collected in an omnibus or two?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't have a Twitter or anything, can someone see if Ken Penders is having any kind of meltdown over the Sonic movie trailer?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

food court bailiff posted:

I don't have a Twitter or anything, can someone see if Ken Penders is having any kind of meltdown over the Sonic movie trailer?

Not really.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Those are actually accurate and cognizant points.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"The multibajillion dollar franchise phenomenon comedy movie that has a ton of star power and a huge CG budget will do better than the hideous movie about the guy whose most recognizable games were 25 years ago" isn't like, some kind of prophetic revelation though.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

food court bailiff posted:

"The multibajillion dollar franchise phenomenon comedy movie that has a ton of star power and a huge CG budget will do better than the hideous movie about the guy whose most recognizable games were 25 years ago" isn't like, some kind of prophetic revelation though.
yeah

it might be controversial among sonic fans, though, those people seem to live in a very different world from our own

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yeah, I saw some guy today going "Sonic is one of the greatest cartoon characters of all time" and my brain went right to its John Oliver impression: "Is he, though? Is he?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Cubone posted:

yeah

it might be controversial among sonic fans, though, those people seem to live in a very different world from our own

every single reaction I've seen about it, including Sonic fans, seems to be an emphatic "who thought this was a good idea? why does this exist?"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yeah, I saw some guy today going "Sonic is one of the greatest cartoon characters of all time" and my brain went right to its John Oliver impression: "Is he, though? Is he?"

He's so great he got two cartoons running simultaneously with completely opposite tones!

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Is Spawn a good book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

omnibobb posted:

Is Spawn a good book?

No.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s got some wicked art.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spawn ran long enough it has some interesting moments but it's basically pure distilled 90s.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The most interesting things about Spawn are Todd's ego and bad business decisions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The most interesting things about Spawn are Todd's ego and bad business decisions.

It was a bit amazing watching his toy empire take off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And then crumble. The whole Miracleman thing is truly wonderous to behold.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

And the issue Dave Sim did with the DC/Marvel characters in cages.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Fallen Rib
Spawn has Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman for writing one or two issues. It also has pretty art. It is also so edgy you better not be a 14 year boy reading all this edgy ultra violence. In other words it's such a product of it's time that it's pretty much 90s distilled. Also it should have ended at issue 50 as it pretty much came full circle then and actually had a logical end point.
Man I know I got the Spawn Bible somewhere. I should check that out again

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is it hard to get the Neil Gaiman issues of Spawn, considering the massive lawsuit. I think McFarlan would need to get permission from Marvel to reprint anything with Angela in it now.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

Is it hard to get the Neil Gaiman issues of Spawn, considering the massive lawsuit. I think McFarlan would need to get permission from Marvel to reprint anything with Angela in it now.

Dunno how hard it is to get but I got him to sign my copy of it. He put a copyright sign in front of his signature on the cover.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought these for 20$ earlier this week.

I feel like a lot of this stuff is available just because there was so much of it printed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

Spawn has Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman for writing one or two issues. It also has pretty art. It is also so edgy you better not be a 14 year boy reading all this edgy ultra violence. In other words it's such a product of it's time that it's pretty much 90s distilled. Also it should have ended at issue 50 as it pretty much came full circle then and actually had a logical end point.
Man I know I got the Spawn Bible somewhere. I should check that out again

The thing is McFarlan is a terrible writer. I mean terrible. He didn't give two shits about plot or dialog or how things held together, he just wanted concepts that he could hang his pictures onto. That was why he got Moore, Gaiman, Sim, and Miller to do those four early issues: he realized people were talking about how much it hurt to actually read his book and he wanted to improve that. And it turned out that he did actually learn from them. Spawn went from unreadable pile of dogshit that nobody should ever touch before that four issue block to incredibly mediocre superhero book that nobody should bother with after them. But it was still bad comics.

Fun question, what were the most and least readable books from Image up to the end of 1993 (basically, the original seven and the first wave of followers)? From my perspective there's only two real choices for best: The Maxx and 1963 and I'd much rather read 1963 again than The Maxx even if it's unfinished. Least readable is harder since there's so much absolute poo poo that would leave you going, "What the gently caress was this?" I think I'd have to give the nod to Liefeld and Youngblood, but that's because I can actually remember how awful Youngblood was where other early Image books have been actively purged from my brain cells.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think from the first set it’s Savage Dragon as most readable, no question.

For the rest I’m in for the art so whatever man.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

It was before the lawsuit, but I got that issue for $0.50 ($2 for the Sim, Moore, Gaiman, and Miller issues).

They're the only Spawn I own and the only Spawn I've read since the 90's.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's the three or four issue Grant Morrison/Greg Capullo story which I... liked at the time, I think? Spawn teamed up with Harry Houdini.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Happy Hippo posted:

Skwirl posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay.

Anybody have anything for me here? Miracle Man? Gaiman?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel won't even entertain questions about it at cons. Something is fucky with the deal and they aren't saying what.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I still have a soft spot for WildC.A.T.s, even though it was generic and mediocre until Alan Moore came aboard to write #21-34 (and wrapped up his run with a short story in #50). The early issues featured some pretty, pretty Jim Lee artwork and excellent computer coloring. To this day, I still love Spartan's costume design and Grifter's mask, and I hate that we never got good action figures of them -- just the mid-'90s Playmates figures and the old DC Direct PVC figurine set.

Then it became one of my all-time favorite comics when Joe Casey wrote Wildcats Volume 2 #8-28 and Wildcats 3.0 #1-24, wisely chucking out a lot of the original concepts and focusing on Spartan and Grifter putting aside the costumed superhero antics and trying to really change the world for the better.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Happy Hippo posted:

Okay.

Anybody have anything for me here? Miracle Man? Gaiman?

Okay, remember how everyone was all "and now the question of who owns the rights to Miracleman is finally settled, for all time!"? Yeah, they might have been wrong.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
According to Mark Buckingham who got asked about it as a FCBD signing yesterday, it's still happening, and he's co-plotting it, it sounds like mostly because Neil Gaiman is too busy.

Gaiman gave an interview last month where he said

quote:

I am very very hopeful that Marvel, that currently own[s] Marvelman/Miracle, will be finishing the story that Mark Buckingham and I began well over 20 years ago, but we'll see.

I've said this before but I think a lot of the delays/backstage problems with Miracleman at this point are less about legal rights and more about how Marvel spent a ton of money untangling the rights with the assumption that they had a goldmine on their hands -- look at how many trades of Watchmen and Sandman are sold every year! -- and then rolled it out in the dumbest most protracted way possible. It's likely they offered Gaiman a ton of money to finish his lost masterpiece, and may have cold feet when the drip feed of reprints didn't sell big numbers.

Or maybe it's something completely different, but if it's rights issues they've still got the entire Moore run, the entire Gaiman/Buckingham run to date, and even that weird one-shot with a new Milligan/Allred story in it, up for sale on Comixology. The thing that seems to be indefinitely delayed with no clear resolution is "new material written by Neil Gaiman", which sounds like an issue with Gaiman, not the character rights.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
#25 was fully penciled and inked back in the day, have they released that one yet?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

#25 was fully penciled and inked back in the day, have they released that one yet?
They haven't, nor have they reprinted Miracleman #23 and #24, which were actually released by Eclipse and are the first two (of six) issues of "The Silver Age". This is another reason I'm assuming it's some sort of marketing/money issue rather than a rights issue, since they stopped cleanly at the end of the Golden Age (which was complete and released in the 1990s) and pulled back instead of publishing the first couple of Silver Age issues they initially solicited.

Miracleman #1 - 52,313
Miracleman #2 - 36,927
Miracleman #3 - 25,970
Miracleman #4 - 23,557
Miracleman #5 - 22,399
Miracleman #6 - 20,598
Miracleman #7 - 19,123
Miracleman #8 - 17,654
Miracleman #9 - 16,466
Miracleman #10 - 15,409
Miracleman #11 - 14,824
Miracleman #12 - 14,634
Miracleman #13 - 14,155
Miracleman #14 - 14,024
Miracleman #15 - 14,548
Miracleman #16 - 13,595

All New Miracleman Annual - 21,644

Miracleman by Buckingham and Gaiman #1 - 27,269
Miracleman by Buckingham and Gaiman #2 - 22,143
Miracleman by Buckingham and Gaiman #3 - 19,375
Miracleman by Buckingham and Gaiman #4 - 16,825
Miracleman by Buckingham and Gaiman #5 - 15,427
Miracleman by Buckingham and Gaiman #6 - 14,200

I guess these numbers aren't terrible considering they were reprints of decades-old stories that may have been out of print but were hardly out of reach, most of the back issues weren't that expensive and they'd all been pirated to hell and back. But I have got to imagine that 2010s Neil Gaiman (and Buckingham, even) would get paid a lot more to produce/finish new material than whatever reprint royalties Marvel was putting out for this stuff. And the prospect of reprinting Silver Age 1-3 (to sales hovering around 15,000 copies) and then somehow try to message out HEY ISSUE 4 OF THIS HAS NEVER EVER BEEN SEEN BEFORE, ALSO ISSUE 5 AND 6 ARE BRAND NEW AND WE PAID A poo poo-TON OF MONEY FOR THEM is a tough nut to crack, especially if all of the contracts you signed were predicated on the idea that these books would be selling in the six figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And they reprinted all that Anglo stuff that barely anyone was asking for. Such a head scratcher.