Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Not only was I a completely sexless dweeb in high school, I had no idea anything like that was going on, but in retrospect I'm sure my school looked a lot like that one. Closest I think of to a goth jock was probably a girl who threw the discus etc for the track team.

Edit: boy am I glad this is at the top of a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

euphronius posted:

The two (I think ) same sex encounters make me wonder about the whole thing. (As in that seems way too low)

I make it three, two M-M and one F-F, but only one of those six didn't have an opposite sex partner too.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HEY GUNS posted:

early modern spain

Also late antiquity spain.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jack2142 posted:

Also late antiquity spain.
did they dress in black and have gothy religious poo poo as well

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Most kf those are probably romantic or semi-sexual yea - these days only 45% of American under 24s report losing their virginity in high school (its dropped about 15% last 10 years - I blame the Internet)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

Not only was I a completely sexless dweeb in high school, I had no idea anything like that was going on, but in retrospect I'm sure my school looked a lot like that one. Closest I think of to a goth jock was probably a girl who threw the discus etc for the track team.

Edit: boy am I glad this is at the top of a page

getting a post on the top of the page isn't some spectacular event that needs commenting

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Most kf those are probably romantic or semi-sexual yea - these days only 45% of American under 24s report losing their virginity in high school (its dropped about 15% last 10 years - I blame the Internet)
It surprised me that there was no single dot in pink and blue with a number under it representing the people who did not report any contacts so maybe this only shows people who reported at least one contact, however contact was defined. Even if this tracks romantic nonsexual contacts there should be a couple people who reported nothing.

e: it's irritating me that I'm willing to waste time on idle speculation like this but not on digging up the study to actually clear up the issue, which should take like 60 seconds on Google scholar

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Family Values posted:

I graduated from high school in the mid 80s before goths were really a thing, so what do I know.

????????????????????

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 30, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m fairly sure in the late 70s and 80s that look was “punk”. I graduated in 95 and recall grunge or punk as being your only real options at the time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m fairly sure in the late 70s and 80s that look was “punk”. I graduated in 95 and recall grunge or punk as being your only real options at the time.

There were goths in Britain in the 80's but not in America till the 90's (before then it was just punk).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Well goth started out as a subgenre of punk. It didn't really become a distinct subculture of its own until the early 80s when the first goth nightclubs like the Batcave started popping up creating their own separate scene.

However the music press had been describing gloomy music like the Doors and The Velvet Underground as "gothic rock" since the late 60s and that term was then used to describe Joy Division and similar bands a decade later. The first American goths appeared in the 80s but they called themselves deathrockers and never reached the mainstream in the same way as their contemporaries in Britain.

:Gothsay:

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 30, 2019

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There was certainly a goth subculture club scene in the US in the 80s, it just wasn't much of a mainstream thing until after movies like Heathers and Beetlejuice in the late 80s. Obviously it really exploded in the 90s when it became a straight up cliche.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

It surprised me that there was no single dot in pink and blue with a number under it representing the people who did not report any contacts so maybe this only shows people who reported at least one contact, however contact was defined. Even if this tracks romantic nonsexual contacts there should be a couple people who reported nothing.

e: it's irritating me that I'm willing to waste time on idle speculation like this but not on digging up the study to actually clear up the issue, which should take like 60 seconds on Google scholar

http://www.soc.duke.edu/~jmoody77/chains.pdf

Reverse image search is your friend.

They picked a rural high school where the kids had nothing to do but get drunk with each other outside school, and paid them $20 to take part, so they got a 90% response rate. And yea, they say that only 60% students report being sexually active, and 25% reported no romantic or sexual contacts.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 30, 2019

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

euphronius posted:

The two (I think ) same sex encounters make me wonder about the whole thing. (As in that seems way too low)

The data comes from observations from 1993 to 1995.
http://www.soc.duke.edu/~jmoody77/chains.pdf

e;f,b.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hey, keep the Goth discussion out of this thread about antiquity!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The codex argenteus is loving rad.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grevling posted:

Hey, keep the Goth discussion out of this thread about antiquity!

Which just made me realize that the Goths (as in Ostro/Visi etc.) aren't included on that chart.

Aren't they ancient enough or would they just have been too obvious?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are goth jocks metalheads?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Goth Jocks are just Glenn Danzig.

Possibly also Henry Rollins if you're really willing to stretch your Goth Parameters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FreudianSlippers posted:

Which just made me realize that the Goths (as in Ostro/Visi etc.) aren't included on that chart.

The pro move would be ostrogoths as jock/goth, visigoth as nerd/goth (or vice versa)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are goth jocks metalheads?
that subculture in botswana who drive motorcycles and dress like leather cowboys while listening to metal

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

that subculture in botswana who drive motorcycles and dress like leather cowboys while listening to metal

subcultures are so rad

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Antiquity ended in 476 AD as far as I'm concerned, so they count.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The pro move would be ostrogoths as jock/goth, visigoth as nerd/goth (or vice versa)

Ostrogoths would be nerd goths since they went whole hog on the Roman cosplay in Italy.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HookShot posted:

Antiquity ended in 476 AD as far as I'm concerned, so they count.

What an odd way of writing 1453.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/caitlinrgreen/status/1123307246522392576

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Antiquity ended when sliced bread was invented.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hot take: antiquity will end when we stop living by laws written in antiquity

but let's flesh out that dumb claim, whether to disprove or qualify it. how much has the global legal system changed since 'antiquity' 'ended'? like, napoleon's law derived from stuff written by lawyers trained in Beirut under the last Emperor who grew up speaking Latin and a big chunk of the world uses that. is common law old enough to be called antiquity?

also i love this graphic i found in the common law wiki (whose History section doesn't really go before 1066, is that antiquity???). it contains All Of The Information

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Common law in the sense of the English/American legal system really dates from medieval England IIRC. You could probably find some antecedents to that in whatever classical-era Germanic tribes were doing but frankly if you're taking it that far then we're all following the rules set down by whatever caveman figured out bashing your fellow tribesman's head in with a rock to take his wife and sweet cloak wasn't optimal for a smoothly functioning society.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Grand Fromage posted:

There's Josephus, though again, we only have his because he defected to the Romans.

I'm sure there were Persian accounts of the Romans, but Persian writing by and large is lost. Persia, like Carthage, is one of those civilizations where essentially everything we have was written by their enemies.

Going back ages, but doesn't the Shahnameh sort of work as a Persian account of the Romans (even though it was written post conquest)?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cyrano4747 posted:

Common law in the sense of the English/American legal system really dates from medieval England IIRC. You could probably find some antecedents to that in whatever classical-era Germanic tribes were doing but frankly if you're taking it that far then we're all following the rules set down by whatever caveman figured out bashing your fellow tribesman's head in with a rock to take his wife and sweet cloak wasn't optimal for a smoothly functioning society.

Look at this guy who isn’t strong enough to have a sweet cloak.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Law is an emergent structure of human interaction pretty much the same everywhere if you deconstruct it to the point of abstraction

European continental law is essentially from antiquity. English common law is newer however it got a heavy dose of antiquity slapped on top of it by the normans.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What’s an accessible intro to early North American cultures? Basically curious about everything from
humans arriving up to Columbus (after that happens I feel like I have a much better handle on things from what I’ve read so far).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

tildes posted:

What’s an accessible intro to early North American cultures? Basically curious about everything from
humans arriving up to Columbus (after that happens I feel like I have a much better handle on things from what I’ve read so far).

1491: A History of the Americas Before Columbus

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

1491: A History of the Americas Before Columbus

Agree this is the best book to start with. It's good on its own and will also disabuse you of outdated notions that still are commonly believed/written about the Americas.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah 1491 is great, as is the followup on the world wide effects of the Colombian exchange, 1493

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I cannot endorse 1491 strongly enough.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Great! Checked it out 👍🏻

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/OwnTheLibsBot/status/1123561453204774912