Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Joe Biden keeps e-mailing me and asking for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

“Trump bringing up infrastructure and other populist ideas he has zero intent of following through to distract from upcoming scandal, more after the break.”

The media’s been falling for this poo poo for 2 1/2 years, which is simply astounding.

you're presuming trump has the capacity to distract versus just constantly generating scandal from his incapacity to not be a lying criminal

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ripoff posted:

The media’s been falling for this poo poo for 2 1/2 years, which is simply astounding.
This is firmly inline with my lived experience that journalists are insanely dumb.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ripoff posted:

“Trump bringing up infrastructure and other populist ideas he has zero intent of following through to distract from upcoming scandal, more after the break.”

The "4th estate" have all but abandoned their role as investigators and interlocutors and become mere parrots for the people in power.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I'd say it's just becoming a bit more noticeable. The very first bar I went to in Tartu (Krooks) is a known spot for neo-Nazis and skinheads to congregate. There are swastikas and white supremacist slogans (in English and Estonian) carved into the tables of just about every drinking spot you can visit. I've seen more Nazi-related imagery on people's clothing here than I've seen in the decades I've lived in the United States. Internal claims that this is a new or unknown phenomenon are absolute bullshit, I personally think that most Estonian politicians are just worried that they can't ignore its spread anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LeeMajors posted:

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Y'all do good work - LVADs are like scifi and I loving love them--but they do present us with tons of clinical challenges in the field - particularly with less-experienced or, to put it politely, judicious providers.

You were pretty active in EMS megathread awhile back right? Or am I misremembering?

Ok, Universe. My dick can only get so erect.

LOL if you think Bob Barr is going to act on the referral.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

you're presuming trump has the capacity to distract versus just constantly generating scandal from his incapacity to not be a lying criminal

Maybe not Trump but one of his lackeys that have the smarter species of brain worms?

“Whoops, got caught selling nuclear weapons to hostile foreign states again, someone make a quick presser on roads and tell Trump it was his idea.”

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

mcmagic posted:

LOL if you think Bob Barr is going to act on the referral.

Actually, now that I think about it if they're competent enough they might "act on it" hamstringing and essentially intentionally bungling the investigation so it will be harder for future administrations to prosecute him.

I guess be thankful the Trump admin is so hilariously incompetent this probably won't occur to them?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pseudanonymous posted:

Actually, now that I think about it if they're competent enough they might "act on it" hamstringing and essentially intentionally bungling the investigation so it will be harder for future administrations to prosecute him.

I guess be thankful the Trump admin is so hilariously incompetent this probably won't occur to them?

Why would there even be an investigation....

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

How do you compete in a world where he can say this and is believed and gets away with it?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nail Rat posted:

How do you compete in a world where he can say this and is believed and gets away with it?

That's a good question. Probably just going to collapse in despair, vote Bernie in the primary, and hope for the best.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

This is the mainstream republican position on abortion. They all say it and they all get away with it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot posted:

How can we have an infrastructure week when there are no more Mueller investigation details to leak.

We have always been at war with East Infrastructure Week

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Why would there even be an investigation....

Think about it like a truly corrupt person might. We obtain evidence illegally, Prince's lawyer gets it thrown out. Now the future administration can no longer use that evidence against Prince. Misuse of the Justice Department can get a lot more severe than merely not investigating crimes. It can be used to exonerate powerful criminals and prevent future prosecution.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Easy Diff posted:

We have always been at war with East Infrastructure Week
Infrastructure Week is like unbirthdays. It's every week except the one that it isn't.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

corn in the bible posted:

It's the start of things getting worse. This is just the start, you know

I mean, current day is not worse than, say, the Jim Crow Era. Things are demonstrably better for most marginalized people now than they have been at any time in human history. Which is why it is so frustrating to watch radicalized white supremacists do everything in their power to drag us backwards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Think about it like a truly corrupt person might. We obtain evidence illegally, Prince's lawyer gets it thrown out. Now the future administration can no longer use that evidence against Prince. Misuse of the Justice Department can get a lot more severe than merely not investigating crimes. It can be used to exonerate powerful criminals and prevent future prosecution.

Why would they worry about future prosecution?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

pseudanonymous posted:

The "4th estate" have all but abandoned their role as investigators and interlocutors and become mere parrots for the people in power.

Honest question, when in all of history has this not usually been the case?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

2 guys did some ok reporting on Watergate and everyone has been obsessed with that one scandal for 40 years because US politics and media are run by geriatrics and that was their political awakening.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Holy crap CPR chat is frightening :stonk: , just say no

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

eke out posted:

prosecutorial declination does not trigger double jeopardy or anything else; when obama took over in 2009 they re-opened some detainee cases that the Eastern District of Virginia had considered prosecuting but ultimately declined (and, in the end, the obama people declined too)

It's likely Trump will pardon all of these people on his way out the door

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's not a binary system, but certainly even 20 years ago things were better, and 30 years ago things were much better. Essentially when individual journalistic programming had more power politicians to some degree had to cater to them. The advent of multiple 24-hour cable news channels has made things much worse imho. Instead of saying this is news, this isn't, there are tons of major outlets desperate for any content whatsoever. This puts politicians and the rich in the position of granting or withholding content. Whereas before nightly news programs only had to fill an hour a day, or a half hour, and so could pick and choose what to cover.

There's also the unification of many newspapers and local tv news stations under single banners. Rather than competing with each other to investigate crimes and corruption and malfeasance they take marching orders from an editorial board which wants things presented in a certain way.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Push El Burrito posted:

Joe Biden keeps e-mailing me and asking for money.

Tell him to get a job. Lazy bum

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah this is a really important question. I've been thinking about this since the start of 2016.

The answer, I still don't know.

The value of truth itself has been shown to be a means to an end, and of no value in and of itself.

I don't know what to do about that.

Laws only have meaning of the enforcers enforce them.

What do you do when the people in charge say, yeah, we openly acknowledge that this person broke a bunch of laws, mores, rules, promises, whatever - and it benefits us, so we aren't going to do anything about it.

Tough poo poo.

What do you do when the curtain drops and no one cares?

Drugs, I guess.

edit: OK that's too weak. You subvert the power in any way you can. Resist in every way you can. What that looks like is your call.

r.y.f.s.o. fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 30, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Local news investigative reporting was a lot better before the Sinclair Era(r)(c)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1123033993732030464

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

There's also the unification of many newspapers and local tv news stations under single banners. Rather than competing with each other to investigate crimes and corruption and malfeasance they take marching orders from an editorial board which wants things presented in a certain way.

lmao aint this the effin truth. I couldn't even get someone at a McClatchy outlet to accept payment for a newspaper delivery subscription to a local business. I can't imagine their newsrooms are worth a poo poo.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

God I can't wait to see Jacob sobbing and pleading before a judge.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Starmaker posted:

Tell him to get a job. Lazy bum

One of the local would-be politicians I met in GA (but ultimately lost in a primary) sent me an email saying they’re endorsing Biden for president in one of those constant contact campaigns.

Now I wish I could ask for a refund on the $20 I gave the schmuck back in 2018. :mad:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mr wohl has lead an otherwise blameless life

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ripoff posted:

One of the local would-be politicians I met in GA (but ultimately lost in a primary) sent me an email saying they’re endorsing Biden for president in one of those constant contact campaigns.

Now I wish I could ask for a refund on the $20 I gave the schmuck back in 2018. :mad:

Do a chargeback and just copy/paste the endorsement as your reason why.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

ewiley posted:

Holy crap CPR chat is frightening :stonk: , just say no

You're already dead it's not like you'll feel your sternum being cracked out of place.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

Build your own narrative. Easier said than done, of course... but the left really needs a propaganda machine now more than ever (we're just about 40 years too late).

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

This says so much I almost cannot believe it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Even the 2016 primaries were full of all the GOP candidates tripping over each other trying to best describe how doctors perform and abortion by torturing and eating the fetus right there on the spot

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KickerOfMice posted:

He's bigger, stronger, and faster too
He's the first member of the DK Krew

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
I actually got my wife by telling her how much I'd save her in long distance if she started dating me

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1123226461912150016

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/1123196299120189440

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 30, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

KickerOfMice posted:

CONFIRMED: Jacob Wohl has never touched a boob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

KickerOfMice posted:

Well, at least he has decent self-esteem...?

That being said, evidently he is a bit over 6 feet tall (if he's to be believed), which would at least make him more impressive than Ben Shapiro.