Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Nah most of these people don't get any money they just love attention in any form, it's the whole basis of social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Z. Autobahn posted:

The dumbest thing about those spoilers, if true, is they mean the entire Essos arc was an utter and total waste. All that “I need to learn to be a good Queen” stuff, the entire, what, 2 seasons in Mereen, everything learned and then she’s just the Mad Queen from day loving one?

That's actually the most Gurmlike thing possible

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the essos arc was always going to be a waste of time

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Nah most of these people don't get any money they just love attention in any form, it's the whole basis of social media.

A vague hope of fame and money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Dream of Clicks

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think the point now is we're in the GoT equivalent of the Scouring of the Shire, a part of LotR that GRRM has outright said he finds brilliant.

The Great Evil has been defeated and now the characters who sacrificed so much to save the world have to clean up the lesser, more petty evils.

Oh my gosh winds of winter was going to be the climax and a dream of spring was going to be the scouring/denouement

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Gorn Myson posted:

At this point what actually happens in the finale is completely unimportant because the show already jettisoned the things that made it so engaging in the first four seasons. Its pure spectacle now. It'll be completely nonsense, the dialogue will be terrible and the big moments will probably land flat because the build up is so poor, but it'll also be very dramatic, it'll have something that makes you go "holy poo poo" (for good or bad) and you'll probably get a bunch of amazing shots in there too.

Maybe I'm just jaded, but literally every spoiler I read now I just think "yeah gently caress it, why not, what difference does it make to this big dumb show anymore".

Yup. A lot of the spoilers I read are really not bad ideas in the abstract, but the way we've gotten here has been so ridiculous and I really have no confidence in them landing the plane.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So are we ever gonna find out where the Night King came from? Was the "Night's King" who was Lord Commander ever mentioned in the show? I was hoping we'd get some closure or backstory beyond generic evil bad guy before he blew up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

COOL CORN posted:

So are we ever gonna find out where the Night King came from? Was the "Night's King" who was Lord Commander ever mentioned in the show? I was hoping we'd get some closure or backstory beyond generic evil bad guy before he blew up.

No

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

COOL CORN posted:

They already showed us in s6 that he was a human the COTF transformed into the NK to save them from the First Men and it backfired and he tried to kill them too. The White Walkers don't have any depth to them, they're just a weapon that the COTF lost control of.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZ9y4jahHs

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Honestly wondering how the long night wasn't the end of the world regarding that. Assuming the night king was around then and did his business including giant spiders as mounts for zombies, how the gently caress did they survive and built the wall?
We saw now that the night king technically is easy to kill, obviously that didn't happen back then (unless it's some reincarnation thing, which would be hilarious for the forest guys to do) and at the same time we saw his army taking over a fortified castle with an army of 50 000 men and two dragons defending it. He did that in the first attack ever, had no real trouble doing so and obliterated everyone around quite easily, all in less than one night. Which is obvious given the motherfucker had so many men in his army that they charged with like four zombies stacked on each other in the first wave.

How did they defeat him and banish him to the north, so they could build the wall, without killing him?

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.
that will be explored in hbo's prequel show. make sure to renew your subscription.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Goons Are Great posted:

Honestly wondering how the long night wasn't the end of the world regarding that. Assuming the night king was around then and did his business including giant spiders as mounts for zombies, how the gently caress did they survive and built the wall?
We saw now that the night king technically is easy to kill, obviously that didn't happen back then (unless it's some reincarnation thing, which would be hilarious for the forest guys to do) and at the same time we saw his army taking over a fortified castle with an army of 50 000 men and two dragons defending it. He did that in the first attack ever, had no real trouble doing so and obliterated everyone around quite easily, all in less than one night. Which is obvious given the motherfucker had so many men in his army that they charged with like four zombies stacked on each other in the first wave.

How did they defeat him and banish him to the north, so they could build the wall, without killing him?

Literally "a wizard did it"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Literally "a wizard did it"

Ya I just assumed that magic was way more potent and prevalent back then seeing as they could build that giant loving wall.

They probably had hundreds of wizards throwing fireballs and poo poo. Everyone else would get the CotF magic grenades and probably chuck them too.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Goons Are Great posted:

Literally:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Goons Are Great posted:

I think there was a peace treaty and the Others built the wall as a line for the humans to stay south of, but now I can't remember if that's from the books or from some Preston Jacobs video.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Last year when I toxxed about the fake spoilers (btw I TOXXED on those fake spoilers. Admins) people said I was an idiot for believing such 'stupid spoilers' and tbh, yes, I am an idiot sure but just like I argued back then "too stupid" is not a thing in this show.

Everything about those fake spoilers was less stupid than what we got.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember when the Sand Snakes dialogue leaked and people were convinced it was fake

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oh right, there's a prequel coming for that. Wonder how that'll work out.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

TheAardvark posted:

I remember thinking for ages about how it'd be interesting to see some aftermath of tens of thousands of Dothraki living on Westeros.

Instead we got a 3 minute scene that guaranteed nobody'd ever have to deal with any non white people in Westeros. Whew!

the writers have completely abandoned, or forgotten, that things like demographics and physical distance exist in a medieval world. I don't think they even know how the average Westerosi deals with living in Westeros at this point since it's been so long since they even alluded to the day-to-day life of the peasantry beyond Sansa having everyone steal their grain

it would be extremely cool if they went back to acknowledging the possibility of cultural distinctiveness being a problem, but for the past like 30 hours of the show the Dothraki have just been smoldering with generic rage and looking handsome behind Dany

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal

Goons Are Great posted:

They probably had an army stacked with dragons, dragon glass and Valyrian steel. Plus maybe more flame weapons. Also, the NK had thousands of years to hone his battle tactics. Maybe he was trying to solo Westeros back then, overextended himself and drew the Lord of the Light's avatar into battle, then retreated and made lieutenants later on hiding up north licking his wounds.

Or maybe he was actually killed back then and it just takes a really long time for a WW baby to grow up. The new NK has already been born, we saw that in show with the baby that was turned, and it will be several thousands of years before this new one is a real threat. Turns out the lieutenants were just for show (not real WW) and made in the traditional manner, while anyone turned at the rock garden in the heart of winter doesn't go poof when a WW is killed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
But how tough could the avatar of the lord of Light be if he couldn't do what a well trained teenager was able to do with a weapon made of an insanely common mineral

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Hotpie kills Cercei with an exploding pie that he made for the battle. but don't tell anyone, I signed an NDA. It's a secret

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mizaq posted:

They probably had an army stacked with dragons, dragon glass and Valyrian steel. Plus maybe more flame weapons. Also, the NK had thousands of years to hone his battle tactics. Maybe he was trying to solo Westeros back then, overextended himself and drew the Lord of the Light's avatar into battle, then retreated and made lieutenants later on hiding up north licking his wounds.

Or maybe he was actually killed back then and it just takes a really long time for a WW baby to grow up. The new NK has already been born, we saw that in show with the baby that was turned, and it will be several thousands of years before this new one is a real threat. Turns out the lieutenants were just for show (not real WW) and made in the traditional manner, while anyone turned at the rock garden in the heart of winter doesn't go poof when a WW is killed.

Did they have dragons back then in Westeros? I don't think any Valyrians gave a gently caress about Westeros at the time. Dragonstone, if it was even established 4000 years ago, was their westernmost outpost

Like someone said earlier, literally a wizard did it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I think there was a peace treaty and the Others built the wall as a line for the humans to stay south of, but now I can't remember if that's from the books or from some Preston Jacobs video.

As far as I know it was a popular fan theory in the books, where the Others are more otherworldly and maybe not just a weapon made by the children of the forest. And it was largely based on the fact that the first men made pacts with the children of the forest and then broke them, because humans live short lives and forgot the old pacts.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Opferwurst posted:

Hotpie kills Cercei with an exploding pie that he made for the battle. but don't tell anyone, I signed an NDA. It's a secret

What kind of pie? Sweet? Savory? Lemony?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Opferwurst posted:

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :buddy:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Atreiden posted:

As far as I know it was a popular fan theory in the books, where the Others are more otherworldly and maybe not just a weapon made by the children of the forest. And it was largely based on the fact that the first men made pacts with the children of the forest and then broke them, because humans live short lives and forgot the old pacts.

Yeah that's right. There were theories that Jon would end up forced into marriage with a female White Walker to cement a new peace treaty like some Stark supposedly did thousands of years ago.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh right, there's a prequel coming for that. Wonder how that'll work out.

Didn't they cancel that?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

The 'pact' was between the first men and the children of the forest, PJ speculates (based on the timeline) that this was after the children already created the others but before the Long Night. There aren't too many hints as to the events that led to the building of the wall, allegedly we know that Azor Ahai met with the others along with his 13 companions and that this somehow ended the war, PJ points out that it is unlikely that Azor Ahai\The Last Hero actually defeated the walkers and thus alleges that a diplomatic compromise was reached.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ancient magic raised the wall and made it impassable for the wights. If anything, it was probably much easier to defeat the Others back then.

On the other hand, all the dates and tales are unreliable and hosed up so who knows what really happened the first time around. It's all just old testament stories and gree epic poems, but even more unreliable

kater
Nov 16, 2010

seems like a lot of fan fiction being made here about my main man mr notalk mcbluedick.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

kater posted:

seems like a lot of fan fiction being made here about my main man mr notalk mcbluedick.

Excuse me, his dick would be black

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I can't wait for arya to kill cersei and the show to be over. Why did arya get to do everything important?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Tenzarin posted:

I can't wait for arya to kill cersei and the show to be over. Why did arya get to do everything important?

"Because Jon was too predictable, he always saves the day" - An actual quote by the showrunner of the world's most popular titty dragon show.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When has Jon ever saved the day, he's a buffoon who gets bailed out over and over (at great expense) and makes his disgruntled face.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The more I think about it, the more I wish Theon had been the one to do it. It would have even further solidified his redemption and he still could have succumbed to his injuries. Arya getting the jump on him but Theon mustering the strength to deal final blow woulda been l i t.

Having it be a character whose story has had 0 to do with the North for several seasons, and 0 to do with Westeros at all really, just felt so loving stupid.

e: esp since they dropped arya's warging and most of her turmoil over not being able to forget being arya stark. it just falls so flat because she feels so much more disconnected than she even is in the books.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Based on some theories it was my understanding that the Others weren't a weapon in the beginning but were some ancient evil from beyond, possibly being the result of some ice god in contrast to the lord of light, who on his hand had dragons, because you know, fire formed into flesh who hatch from a moon that came too close to the sun or something. That would at least explain why those two things are so incompatible with each other.
This ancient evil then was made into a weapon by the children of the forest by converting a human into the night king, who then rallied together the existing Others and formed the then-weapon against the first men, which kinda backfired because the walkers aren't just a weapon but also some ancient evil and won't serve anyone but their whatever master.

However the show pretty explicitly says that forest nerds "created" the white walkers, in which case they were just a weapon gone wild and Arya just fixed an anciently old problem with a dagger in one scene. So who knows.
I honestly doubt GRRM actually has a clear thought on it currently, D&D or Dave "the Dave" Hill even less, as they probably don't know there even are any books at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

esperterra posted:

The more I think about it, the more I wish Theon had been the one to do it. It would have even further solidified his redemption and he still could have succumbed to his injuries. Arya getting the jump on him but Theon mustering the strength to deal final blow woulda been l i t.

Having it be a character whose story has had 0 to do with the North for several seasons, and 0 to do with Westeros at all really, just felt so loving stupid.

e: esp since they dropped arya's warging and most of her turmoil over not being able to forget being arya stark. it just falls so flat because she feels so much more disconnected than she even is in the books.

I like how you think.