Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

I really hope this doesn't end with another Rab'a.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ham posted:

I really hope this doesn't end with another Rab'a.

Its what I keep expecting. I read just now 3 top generals have resigned, which the protesters have demanded. I really hope the people some how get something good out of this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-48049936

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are any threads covering the Sri Lankan bombings?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darth Walrus posted:

Are any threads covering the Sri Lankan bombings?

nope, pretty much just me with a couple posts in cspam :v:

as of a couple days ago:

40-ish Sri Lankans have been detained in relation to the Sri Lanka attacks.

The government seems to be officially-ish blaming National Thowheed Jamath, not necessarily to be confused with Tamil Nadu's NTJ, and a splitoff (for reasons I do not know) from Sri Lanka Thowheed Jamath. SLTJ, while Wahhabi-leaning ideological assholes, has historically been nonviolent-ish, which is presumably part of why the feds went "wait, what?" and are pretty darn sure there was international coordination / involvement / resource contribution. There's apparently another lovely local group the government thinks is also involved, the "Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen India linked to a similar organization in Bangladesh." The claimed motive for the attack seems to be retaliation for the Christchurch mosque attacks.

IS has gotten around to officially claiming responsibility, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were the international dudes involved - they've claimed responsibility for stuff they didn't do in the past.

==

There's not a shitload new that I can tell, a couple of the bombers have been identified and there's an rear end in a top hat cleric who the authorities are Extremely Interested in.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Amnesty just released a massive investigation into coalition airstrikes in Raqqa killing at least 1600 civilians, 4 times the amount claimed by the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Bvzuppihs

There's some really well done interactive pieces on there, and 100s of cases they looked into.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

nope, pretty much just me with a couple posts in cspam :v:

as of a couple days ago:

40-ish Sri Lankans have been detained in relation to the Sri Lanka attacks.

The government seems to be officially-ish blaming National Thowheed Jamath, not necessarily to be confused with Tamil Nadu's NTJ, and a splitoff (for reasons I do not know) from Sri Lanka Thowheed Jamath. SLTJ, while Wahhabi-leaning ideological assholes, has historically been nonviolent-ish, which is presumably part of why the feds went "wait, what?" and are pretty darn sure there was international coordination / involvement / resource contribution. There's apparently another lovely local group the government thinks is also involved, the "Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen India linked to a similar organization in Bangladesh." The claimed motive for the attack seems to be retaliation for the Christchurch mosque attacks.

IS has gotten around to officially claiming responsibility, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were the international dudes involved - they've claimed responsibility for stuff they didn't do in the past.

==

There's not a shitload new that I can tell, a couple of the bombers have been identified and there's an rear end in a top hat cleric who the authorities are Extremely Interested in.

There's footage of the bombers pledging loyalty to IS before the attack, and it's almost certainly not about Christchurch given how sophisticated and resource-intensive the plot was (as in, they'd have to have been planning it well before the mosque attacks). One weird/horrifying detail I saw was that the suicide bombers included a millionaire businessman and his pregnant wife - the bombs were apparently made in one of his factories. That's, uh, not your stereotypical suicide bomber backstory.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The bombing attacks in Sri Lanka were pretty sophisticated in terms of logistics and planning. It really does point to an international element such as ISIS or AQ because there isn't a group in Sri Lanka who have pulled off anything close to this in the past. From what I've read about the local Islamic group who are being blamed for this (National Thowheed Jamath) the biggest attacks they have pulled off before have been minor acts of vandalism, there's no way they could suddenly escalate to a massive coordinated attack like this one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Darth Walrus posted:

There's footage of the bombers pledging loyalty to IS before the attack, and it's almost certainly not about Christchurch given how sophisticated and resource-intensive the plot was (as in, they'd have to have been planning it well before the mosque attacks). One weird/horrifying detail I saw was that the suicide bombers included a millionaire businessman and his pregnant wife - the bombs were apparently made in one of his factories. That's, uh, not your stereotypical suicide bomber backstory.

Didn't know about the loyalty pledge thing (might have to hand in my isis-watcher card).

Two other bombers were the kids of another mogul. I'm morbidly curious about the recruitment process. edit: oh, that was the same guy

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 25, 2019

Basura
Mar 9, 2019
Don't know if anyone posted this yet but this hit more close to home. Considering the university I attended has a large saudi Arabia portion of students from there and being a university close by. https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2019/04/23/saudi-arabia-beheadings-executions-mujtaba-al-sweikat/3552679002/

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if Trump's oil sanctions against Iran will cause the barrell to go over $100 again. Also what do his trade wars actually hit? I'm hearing nothing yet from China about downturns.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if Trump's oil sanctions against Iran will cause the barrell to go over $100 again. Also what do his trade wars actually hit? I'm hearing nothing yet from China about downturns.

No they wont. Your teacher is wrong and probably has stock in Haliburton.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Also what do his trade wars actually hit? I'm hearing nothing yet from China about downturns.

why don't you go ask in a thread about trump, the US economy, or china

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/...ty-coup-mueller

Trump is basically incompetent Erdogan

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Erdogan is pretty incompetent to begin with, but nevertheless the statement holds true.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Trump is basically incompetent Erdogan
As someone who was bitching about Erdogan in the previous thread of despair when it was still just Guelenist police officers committing suicide by shooting "themselves" in the back of the head, let's just say "is basically Erdogan" is good enough.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Grim but important thread listing the folks executed in Saudi Arabia for 'terrorism' the other day.

https://twitter.com/eshalegal/status/1120762989609652229?s=21

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/DanieleRaineri/status/1122896753685086209

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
If true, is anybody else singing "The Jihadi came back, the very next day..." to themselves?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Not a story that was getting much play outside of Iran, but they finally got the Iranian Christopher Dorner. There's been a manhunt since he murdered a cleric in the street a few days ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1122425795782291456

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How did we not kill him...?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If IS is really just an idea then might as well give them some small patch of land so they can party on it instead of partying at random parts of the world, no? Do people really think they can destroy the idea that is currently embodied by IS?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Shaocaholica posted:

If IS is really just an idea then might as well give them some small patch of land so they can party on it instead of partying at random parts of the world, no? Do people really think they can destroy the idea that is currently embodied by IS?

Are you inviting them over to your house? Who the gently caress on the planet wants ISIS on their border?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are you inviting them over to your house? Who the gently caress on the planet wants ISIS on their border?

The ocean?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

Yeah, except one small problem is that the "idea" IS embodies is a global caliphate.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Shaocaholica posted:

The hottest of takes.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This is really loving bad, and if the US government carries through with it, it's basically a statement to people living under the yoke of dictatorship in the Arab world that they're not allowed to aspire to live in a democracy:

https://twitter.com/nedprice/status/1123207515926405121

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
And that the only true opposition to the dictatorships are islamists.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Sinteres posted:

This is really loving bad, and if the US government carries through with it, it's basically a statement to people living under the yoke of dictatorship in the Arab world that they're not allowed to aspire to live in a democracy:

https://twitter.com/nedprice/status/1123207515926405121

That's hardly new though. There's been a broad perception in the region that [url=]the United States is only concerned with its own larger geopolitical interests and props up local dictators while thwarting local aspirations for political and eocnomic sovereignty that goes back to the 1950s.

FOREIGN RELATIONS OF THE UNITED STATES, 1958–1960, NEAR EAST REGION; IRAQ; IRAN; ARABIAN PENINSULA, VOLUME XII posted:

2. Current conditions and political trends in the Near East are inimical to Western interests. In the eyes of the majority of Arabs the United States appears to be opposed to the realization of the goals of Arab nationalism. They believe that the United States is seeking to protect its interest in Near East oil by supporting the status quo and opposing political or economic progress, and that the United States is intent upon maneuvering the Arab states into a position in which they will be committed to fight in a World War against the Soviet Union.

quote:

Our economic and cultural interests in the area have led not unnaturally to close U.S. relations with elements in the Arab world whose primary interest lies in the maintenance of relations with the West and the status quo in their countries—Chamoun of Lebanon, King Saud, Nuri of Iraq, King Hussein. These relations have contributed to a widespread belief in the area that the United States desires to keep the Arab world disunited and is committed to work with “reactionary” elements to that end.

quote:

The continuing and necessary association of the United States in the Western European Alliance makes it impossible for us to avoid some identification with the powers which formerly had, and still have, “colonial” interests in the area.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sure, but declaring the last legitimately elected government in Egypt a terrorist organization is still a step beyond the norm, or else you wouldn't see career officials resisting it the way they are:

John R. Bolton, the national security adviser, and Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, support the idea, officials said. But the Pentagon, career national security staff, government lawyers and diplomatic officials have voiced legal and policy objections, and have been scrambling to find a more limited step that would satisfy the White House.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

While certain high level officials might recognize that its a clumsy and unnecessary statement to put out the idea that it's some kind of dramatic shift from America's typical posture or that it will somehow shift the already overwhelmingly negative opinion most people in the region have toward America just comes off as a bit silly though. I think American actions over many decades speak more loudly than any one administration's actions could at this point.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Worldweary cynical takes like 'everything's already bad so it doesn't matter if it gets worse' never get old.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Being realistic about how America is perceived isn't world weary cynicism, it's just pointing out the obvious. Setting up Trump as some uniquely awful figure is an unsubtle way of apologizing for past American presidents who really weren't notably better, even if they were slightly more measured in their communications strategy. The problems here aren't reducible to a single administration, especially not one that took office less than a full term ago.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

a big part of trumpism is that it's american power politics without the mask

the mask wasn't nothing, but trump's politics, bizarrely, seem basically honest; when he says he wants to build a wall, he tries very hard to build the wall, against all reason

likewise it seems like he just doesn't get why he should be careful about the framing of foreign policy; that just seems like pointless hypocrisy to him, i think

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

in a hosed up way, trump is probably the most honest president america's had in a very long time in terms of policy. this is objectively hilarious

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Obama tentatively supported Egyptian democracy, so not all US presidents are the same, and for all his faults even Bush seemed to genuinely believe in the transformative power of democracy in the region in the early part of his presidency, before he realized people might have the gall to elect leaders we didn't approve of. Yeah, the consensus US foreign policy position has been to bolster some massively authoritarian leaders, particularly in Saudi Arabia, but with Trump I really think the message is that all a strongman has to do is call the people terrorists and he'll support the strongman (see also his support for Haftar).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Sinteres posted:

Obama tentatively supported Egyptian democracy, so not all US presidents are the same, and for all his faults even Bush seemed to genuinely believe in the transformative power of democracy in the region in the early part of his presidency, before he realized people might have the gall to elect leaders we didn't approve of. Yeah, the consensus US foreign policy position has been to bolster some massively authoritarian leaders, particularly in Saudi Arabia, but with Trump I really think the message is that all a strongman has to do is call the people terrorists and he'll support the strongman (see also his support for Haftar).

This refusal to admit how consistently bad American foreign policy in the region is does not help anything. You're inflating minor and mostly irrelevant distinctions that are more a matter of style than substance. When you're praising George W. Bush for his belief in middle eastern democracy it is time to check yourself and ask what lead you down this path.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Helsing posted:

This refusal to admit how consistently bad American foreign policy in the region is does not help anything. You're inflating minor and mostly irrelevant distinctions that are more a matter of style than substance. When you're praising George W. Bush for his belief in middle eastern democracy it is time to check yourself and ask what lead you down this path.

I mean I did say he abandoned the view once it proved inconvenient, so it wasn't really praise. I'm not exactly the most patriotic American posting in this thread, and think there were plenty of reasons to question the good faith of the United States long before Trump came along, but I do think the way he's ripping off the mask and displaying the very worst of America's cynical imperialism for the world to see is a bad thing, because it's going to give license to the region's dictators to do whatever the gently caress they want with his support. There used to at least be the idea that our support was contingent on pretending to give a poo poo about human rights, but now there's nothing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 30, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Sinteres posted:

I mean I did say he abandoned the view once it proved inconvenient, so it wasn't really praise. I'm not exactly the most patriotic American posting in this thread, and think there were plenty of reasons to question the good faith of the United States long before Trump came along, but I do think the way he's ripping off the mask and displaying the very worst of America's cynical imperialism for the world to see is a bad thing, because it's going to give license to the region's dictators to do whatever the gently caress they want with his support.

I won't belabor the point but suffice it to say I think you're grasping around trying to find a distinction that makes no actual difference.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Helsing posted:

I won't belabor the point but suffice it to say I think you're grasping around trying to find a distinction that makes no actual difference.

Whereas you used a lot of words to say lol nothing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sinteres posted:

and then bankrolled the everloving poo poo out of the coup to be rid of it, in violation of US policy, because the alternative was letting a democratically elected government that didn't like us exist, but hey, details