Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At last, direct streaming of Eros Now for my entire family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
CBS All Access has all 11,500+ episodes of The Young and the Restless.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Long, long overdue for UK viewers: Channel 4 integrates with the TV app now.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/02/all-4-tvos-app-tv-app/

Celebrate by watching Darkplace!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/RobertIger/status/1116468755180036096

Disney+ being shown off on presumably an Apple TV. Looks like they're just using the standard UI stuff, which is no bad thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

We just got our first 4K tv. It is awesome but all I have plugged into it is a base PS4 and a Apple TV from either one or two generations back. A PS4 Pro isn’t the best purchase considering the PS5 is probably dropping late next year + they could announce a Pro price drop at E3 next month. So that leaves the gf and I considering an Apple TV 4K. We currently have Prime + Hulu + non 4K Netflix so the options aren’t great but 4K rentals and 4K screensavers sound nice.

Worth it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Whether your current one is one or two generations back makes a huge difference. AppleTV 3 doesn’t have an App Store or the TV app, while AppleTV 4 does.

If you have a 3 (with the silver aluminum remote), yeah absolutely get a 4K.

If you have a 4, eh it’s completely your call.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

We just got our first 4K tv. It is awesome but all I have plugged into it is a base PS4 and a Apple TV from either one or two generations back. A PS4 Pro isn’t the best purchase considering the PS5 is probably dropping late next year + they could announce a Pro price drop at E3 next month. So that leaves the gf and I considering an Apple TV 4K. We currently have Prime + Hulu + non 4K Netflix so the options aren’t great but 4K rentals and 4K screensavers sound nice.

Worth it?

The Apple TV 4k is amazing.

Also directv now runs a deal every few months where if you pay for 3 months of service you get an Apple TV free.

They are great devices and imo much better vs a ps4 and probably the 5.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I enjoy movies a lot and don't mind the occasional $5 iTunes rental and a nice 4K TV combined with a AppleTV4K is great. Your mileage may vary.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Whether your current one is one or two generations back makes a huge difference. AppleTV 3 doesn’t have an App Store or the TV app, while AppleTV 4 does.

If you have a 3 (with the silver aluminum remote), yeah absolutely get a 4K.

If you have a 4, eh it’s completely your call.

It’s a 4 yeah!

MarcusSA posted:

The Apple TV 4k is amazing.

Also directv now runs a deal every few months where if you pay for 3 months of service you get an Apple TV free.

They are great devices and imo much better vs a ps4 and probably the 5.

I don’t need directv and I’m definitely buying a PS5 at launch but yeah gently caress it, I think I’ll buy a ATV4K. It’s worth it in any situation I think and should be pretty future proof at this point.

American McGay posted:

I enjoy movies a lot and don't mind the occasional $5 iTunes rental and a nice 4K TV combined with a AppleTV4K is great. Your mileage may vary.

I did manage to forget that we typically watch movies on the PS4 since we have wireless surround sound headphones for it. That complicated things a bit since we can’t with the Apple TV. Hm. Still probably worth it though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The 4K atv has better hardware than the regular one so apps and menus etc are supposed to be snappier. I’ve only got the regular one though so don’t know for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's what a lot of people have said. I got my 4K through the DirecTV deal and then relegated my 4 to a bedroom set. Then broke that bedroom TV, doh.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The ATV4K has Bluetooth, should work with your headphones.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Protip: hold play/pause button to bring up a list of audio devices to send the audio to without having to go into settings.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

Protip: hold play/pause button to bring up a list of audio devices to send the audio to without having to go into settings.

Dude I love you. I didn’t know that.

Also, if you want to buy a 4K but not wait for a promo, get a refurbished one from Apple.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Worth it?
Everything I play on it just looks and feels better than anywhere else, is the coolest thing about it I didnt't consider. While the delay in switching is annoying, it's super cool how it can adjust to the framerate of the content it's playing.

YouTube won't be in 4K because of VP9, but Netflix will look great. Most likely, though, your TV should have a perfectly serviceable Netflix app, but connecting Smart TVs to the internet is kind of a bad idea these days as their network coding is trash at best, and malicious/ad-serving/tracking at worst. And future built-in Apple TV stuff on TVs is just going to encourage that bad habit.

I say do it, but that's because it works for my use case. Also, it might have the one decent Crunchyroll app there is, the other one being PS4's - after they fixed it up a bunch.

But when I bought it, the killer feature as mainly the movie and rental which is basically how Blockbuster in 2019 should be. Keep in mind that Disney are jerks and won't share their movies in 4K for the most part, and that's without getting into the HDR and Dolby Vision mess. Disney are responsible for a few movies I'm told.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Passing it along because I think I read it here ages ago. It’s super handy!

Interestingly the appletv will also output to sonos speakers directly too, I just noticed. Definitely didn’t use to do that.

E: also does the amazon prime app play in 4k? (I have a non-4k 4 and play amazon stuff on my tv). The HDR stuff looks fantastic on shows like The Tick.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All of Sonos' new devices have Airplay I believe.

I use the Beam and Sub with my ATV, but use the HDMI-ARC connection from the TV to the Beam instead of Airplay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

All of Sonos' new devices have Airplay I believe.

I use the Beam and Sub with my ATV, but use the HDMI-ARC connection from the TV to the Beam instead of Airplay.

Ah must have gotten an update! I have a tv bar (the one before the beam) and a 5 and a one, not enough for a full surround set unfortunately. The tv bar is also connected to the tv via optical.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Easiest general audio setup is HDMI passthrough if supported (probably is). TV takes audio from HDMI and distributes it to some connected audio output, be it optical or, I assume, via HDMI. But maybe you use the eARC port for HDMI.

Dolby also released an affordable-ish adapter that goes through optical. This way you don't have to use a per-device solution, but I can't say how perfect the audio sync is. I'd get one if it weren't because my headphones require a USB adapter.

e: An ATV4K also means you get to play around with AirPlay 2.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 30, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I appreciate all the advice! I have realized though that gaming + movies (with wireless headphones) is our #1 focus so I think we might just go for the PS4 Pro. I’ll have an ATV4K eventually but in the near future I’m okay with doing big deal games movies and shows on the PS4 Pro and random background noise stuff on the ATV4. Thanks for teaching me about the the ATV4K though, it seems like a lovely box. I’m glad we’re so far past the first two iterations of the ATVs. Those were... not very good.

The only downside of this is that the PS4 doesn’t have Criterion/Shudder so I still don’t have a reason to subscribe to those :negative:

Big Huski Boi posted:

The ATV4K has Bluetooth, should work with your headphones.

The PS4 headsets do wireless over a usb dongle. No Bluetooth unfortunately.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

priznat posted:

E: also does the amazon prime app play in 4k? (I have a non-4k 4 and play amazon stuff on my tv). The HDR stuff looks fantastic on shows like The Tick.

Yep, 4K HDR word fine. Interface is still rear end mind, but that’s to be expected.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep, 4K HDR word fine. Interface is still rear end mind, but that’s to be expected.

Yeah it’s bad everywhere. Some good shows though, and all Justified episodes!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Lately both of my AppleTVs (a 3 and 4K) have started to become buggy. Everything from the remote not working correctly at certain times to apps freezing. Even my kids have came to me complaining about issues with the 4K one. Both of these I got on launch, and up until a few months ago they worked fine. Has anyone experienced any weird behaviors on theirs? What would be the first step in troubleshooting these? Doing a factory reset is all I can think of? Just weird both of boxes are having issues.

I'm so frustrated after loving the AppleTV for almost 10 years now, I have gotten an Amazon Cube just to test (it was on sale for like $70 last week) in my bedroom. Given the Alexa support (I can cut the TV on and off from any Alexa device, change inputs back and forth with voice, search for shows not only the apps on the Cube but on the cable box) it is tempting to convert (still not the biggest fan of the UI). The next AppleTV better have Siri always on support like Alexa enabled devices do. Also it would be nice if they would allow the AppleTV be controlled by Alexa devices. I know never going to happen, but I thought Apple Music on Alexa devices never would happen, but it did.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Lately both of my AppleTVs (a 3 and 4K) have started to become buggy. Everything from the remote not working correctly at certain times to apps freezing. Even my kids have came to me complaining about issues with the 4K one. Both of these I got on launch, and up until a few months ago they worked fine. Has anyone experienced any weird behaviors on theirs? What would be the first step in troubleshooting these? Doing a factory reset is all I can think of? Just weird both of boxes are having issues.

I'm so frustrated after loving the AppleTV for almost 10 years now, I have gotten an Amazon Cube just to test (it was on sale for like $70 last week) in my bedroom. Given the Alexa support (I can cut the TV on and off from any Alexa device, change inputs back and forth with voice, search for shows not only the apps on the Cube but on the cable box) it is tempting to convert (still not the biggest fan of the UI). The next AppleTV better have Siri always on support like Alexa enabled devices do. Also it would be nice if they would allow the AppleTV be controlled by Alexa devices. I know never going to happen, but I thought Apple Music on Alexa devices never would happen, but it did.

I have to imagine that's the next step for the AppleTV platform.

Thanks to Airplay 2, it's essentially a HomePod without the always-on Siri but connected to a TV. It'd also make it really easy to catch up to Amazon Alexa/Google Home setups though it'd probably eat into HomePod sales.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My ATV4's remote randomly decided it no longer wanted to connect to the ATV4 (it would show as connected for less then a second then disconnect), but my ATV4K remote would connect fine. The ATV4 remote connects fine to the ATV4K. It's really dumb, but that's the only issue I've experienced.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah that's what a lot of people have said. I got my 4K through the DirecTV deal and then relegated my 4 to a bedroom set. Then broke that bedroom TV, doh.
Quoting because the OP should be encouraged to embrace any excuse to own an extra ATV. It's sick when every TV in the house has some level of Airplay coverage, and you won't want to go back!

People dog on iTunes, but running it on a PC and selecting like 2-4 ATVs as output devices is baller and a surprisingly painless way to get a whole-house audio system going.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
You gotta unplug (not just reboot) those ATV4k's every month or two if they start getting janky. Also double-click and see how many apps are running concurrently and close them out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

You gotta unplug (not just reboot) those ATV4k's every month or two if they start getting janky. Also double-click and see how many apps are running concurrently and close them out.

Apps do not run concurrently in iOS.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Also, tvOS/iOS has really aggressive memory management and will not hesitate to write the app state to SSD and unload the app except for a place holder.

Usually, any performance improvement noticed by unloading "excess" apps is purely psychological unless the app itself has issues.

Power cycling is not a bad recommendation for trouble shooting issues, though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nate fisher posted:

Are you on 12.2.1 yet? Supposedly it fixed some weird bugs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

nate fisher posted:

It’s def not just you. I’ve experienced more lagginess and freezing in the past like 2-3 months than I have in the previous 7 or 8 years of owning any Apple TV.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah definitely this. I noticed things start slowing down and my remote becomes less and less responsive. I’ve just been rebooting but I’ll probably do a proper power cycle now.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

If power cycling or whatever doesn't fix it, consider taking it to an Apple Store.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

CEC definitely gets hosed on my Apple TV and restarting fixes it. Like I hit the volume button sometimes and it says “volume is not configured” which is a drat lie and super annoying since it pops up a window and makes you close it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

CEC definitely gets hosed on my Apple TV and restarting fixes it. Like I hit the volume button sometimes and it says “volume is not configured” which is a drat lie and super annoying since it pops up a window and makes you close it.

That started happening to me randomly within the past few weeks and it loving pisses me off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CEC is just janky as a whole

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Worth it?

FWIW i got a 4K TV not long ago and I barely use my Apple TV 4th Gen (non 4K) anymore.

everything I used the ATV for (plex, youtube, VLC for the odd times Plex failed) is installed natively on my TV (LG B8 OLED) and supports 4K and HEVC/H265 videos.

using an apple TV adds another remote too, whereas presently everything can be done via the TV remote only.

there are minor differences in how the two devices present the Apps, with the Apple TV doing a better job aesthetically (nicer fonts basically) but thats about it. I havent felt the urge to upgrade to a 4K one simply because the TV does Plex already and ATV4K doesnt support 4K on youtube (which the TV does.)

the only thing the ATV4K would give me is better photo streaming and it would downmix all the surround audio to stereo, whereas the TV wont do that.

I guess the only benefit to me is that the plex app on the TV doesnt seem to get as many updates as the Apple TV one does, so it will eventually come to a point where my server version is not backwards compatible with the TV app. until then its $250AUD i could spend on literally anything else.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The moral of the story is, if you're looking to do only 3 things with your AppleTV, and you own a $2,000+ high end television, the AppleTV isn't for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Big Huski Boi posted:

Apps do not run concurrently in iOS.

This hasn’t been true for years. Applications can request and be given background execution slices under a number of circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I have a 4K Sony TV and the android OS bullshit that's on it sucks rear end so I ignore it and just use my AppleTV which is very good. Literally have never use a smart TVs built in apps and liked them.