Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yup, no reputable comedian has ever made observational humor about a group of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

How did you turn "a subset of people" into "marginalized groups"?

Because the internet.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

um excuse me posted:

I guess I should be more specific. It's hard to describe making fun of a specific subset of people while not being offensive without the context of a comedy show.

I feel like that actually got less specific, or maybe the point is just sailing over my head.

Anyway, I definitely don't think that their brand of comedy encompasses all good comedy. But I don't think we are actually in much disagreement.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

thexerox123 posted:

How did you turn "a subset of people" into "marginalized groups"?

the person I was responding to was originally responding to this post

wizzardstaff posted:

Whenever someone complains about how you can't be crude or gonzo in comedy because of the :siren: SJW Fun Police :siren: I want to point them toward the McElroys. Their entire career is proof that you can make funny "clean" jokes without bowdlerization.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

wizzardstaff posted:

I feel like that actually got less specific, or maybe the point is just sailing over my head.

Anyway, I definitely don't think that their brand of comedy encompasses all good comedy. But I don't think we are actually in much disagreement.

Eh I'm not a comedian trying to explain how a joke works. It's not going to end well.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

the person I was responding to was originally responding to this post

Except this came between those two posts:

um excuse me posted:

Their comedy doesn't cover all of good comedy. There's a way to be vulgar and funny, it's all about timing and context.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

thexerox123 posted:

Except this came between those two posts:

that is in fact the post I was talking about, the one where they were responding to wizzard's post

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My goodness posts about posts about posts

None of you are even disagreeing

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Forums are known for their strict, on topic, behavior.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
The McElroy's are vulgar, and also funny. What they avoid is anything that comes at the expense of minority groups they're not a part of. I don't see what social "subsets" we could be talking about other than something to do with race, nationality, or gender and sexual minorities. The guys constantly make fun of social groups like gamers, jugglers, whatever innocuous thing.

It's possible to create comedy around those social groups, but as cis het white guys, the McEroy's have correctly spotted that any attempt to do that will come off as punching down.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Because someone will eventually make the assumption, I agree with the punching down thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

SpacePig posted:

We even have an instance of Travis running directly up to an untoward joke, and then admitting that he wasn't comfortable making it.
https://youtu.be/joOXH2AzTw0

"You can park the car outside, but everyone knows you drove there" is such a great line from Justin.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
glaaasss shaaaark

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Riptor posted:

glaaasss shaaaark

reported for racism

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM8SxBIh4yc

YEAH

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sweet Jews for Jesus that framerate.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
New Monster Factory is up, the continuing adventures of Freddy “Slimeburger”Jr.

Fake edit: yikes don’t know how I missed the last two posts. Anyways, solid cosplay by “Slimeburger”.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 1, 2019

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was thinking about how Justin said Munch Squad was kinda winding down recently and double checked, and man, Munch Squad had some LEGS for a bit. It's been nearly three years since the first Munch Squad.

It's so weird to think that Munch Squad started around when I graduated college.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

it's weird to think that I've listened to a show where I've observed the hosts get married and have multiple children in real time, and it'll probably be even weirder when I'm still listening, and the kids inherit the show and do fun bits with their fathers' ashes

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Munch Squad started like 8 months ago what the hell are you talking about.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Munch Squad is yet to begin

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Munch Squad is dead, long live Munch Squad Jr.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FutonForensic posted:

it's weird to think that I've listened to a show where I've observed the hosts get married and have multiple children in real time, and it'll probably be even weirder when I'm still listening, and the kids inherit the show and do fun bits with their fathers' ashes

"Like my late beloved father Justin always said, I WANNA MUNCH..." is a bit of a bummer intro to a classic bit but hell Carl's Jr keeps doin food crime so who am I to judge

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

"Like my late beloved father Justin always said, I WANNA MUNCH..."

"Welcome to Munch squad, it's a podcast within a eulogy"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Undead Hippo posted:

"Welcome to Munch squad, it's a podcast within a eulogy"

R.I.P. Justin, died after doing a Much Squad on the latest collabo between Chili’s and Cinnabon and had a heart attack just from talking about it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ariong posted:

R.I.P. Justin, died after doing a Much Squad on the latest collabo between Chili’s and Cinnabon and had a heart attack just from talking about it.

I can honestly imagine Justin being one of the few folks ever to laugh themselves to death.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
jesus christ you're right it's been almost exactly three years https://mbmbam.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_304:_Chicken_Soup_for_Boys

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Honestly, upon remembering that it all started with the Naked Chicken Taco I would have guessed it was 5+ years old, that poo poo seems like it was forever ago.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Oh my god it's been almost two years since I ate the bad funny chicken triangles from Taco Bell because I heard about it from the Squad

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ariong posted:

Too soon.

https://www.restaurantbusinessonline.com/marketing/kfc-enlists-chippendales-sell-its-new-cinnabon-dessert-biscuits

quote:

KFC has combined Cinnabon with its biscuits and has enlisted Chippendales dancers to celebrate.

The Louisville, Ky.-based chicken chain on Thursday announced its new Cinnabon Dessert Biscuits, which will be available from April 29 through June 30 for $1 per biscuit or $3 for a pack of four. Customers can also get a four-pack for free with any 10-piece meal or larger.

The biscuits take a KFC biscuit and top it with Cinnabon’s cinnamon brown sugar glaze and cream cheese frosting.

KFC, which has been getting more attention for its product offerings in recent years thanks to its innovative use of founder Colonel Sanders’ image, has “Colonel-ized” the Chippendales dancers to provide personalized videos for Mother’s Day.

Customers can go to chickendales.com, where they simply select their mom’s name, the state she lives in, and then download the video or share via social channels. “Wish mom a happy Mother’s Day the KFC way by sending her a video of a shirt-ripping, finger-lickin’ performance cooked up by a troupe of hunky KFC Chickendales,” Andrea Zahumensky, chief marketing officer for KFC U.S., said in a statement.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fuckin'......

Bojangles did the same-rear end thing a few years ago, Colonel! I know, I was working there!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Justin: I'm going to wind down Munch Squad
Burger King: I loving dare you.

https://thetakeout.com/burger-king-real-meals-wow-a-lot-to-unpack-there-1834448720

quote:

Burger King specifically timed this campaign to May, because May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and the company partnered with Mental Health America to bring it to life—an organization that’s “the nation’s leading community-based non-profit dedicated to addressing the needs of those living with mental illness and to promoting the overall mental health of all Americans,” per a press release.

:psyduck:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/mcelroyfamily/status/1122965528438562816?s=21

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What the gently caress that was a joke! It was never supposed to be real! And loving, chippendales? Mothers day???? “KFC and Cinnabon are partnering up to make your mom’s Mother’s Day her horniest yet!” loving what?

Previa_fun posted:

Justin: I'm going to wind down Munch Squad
Burger King: I loving dare you.

https://thetakeout.com/burger-king-real-meals-wow-a-lot-to-unpack-there-1834448720

:psyduck:

“It’s the same Burger King burgers you love, but we’ve enhanced them by putting them into a box with the word piss on it! Enjoy!”

loving, I can’t, what, what. Oh god, I take it all back. We can’t lose Munch Squad, we need it now more than ever.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Pretty sure these press releases are their equivalent to Wendy's twitter. They do it for the spectacle, outage, and laughs. Their target market will never read a press release from a restaurant unless somebody else calls attention to it.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Listening to the Sawbones bonus ep, Justin said he would like a career where he had to be pulled out of retirement for one more job.

This is it, Justin. This is your dream.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Definitely heard the music when this popped up in my feed.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I just noticed this is the pin of the month:

https://store.dftba.com/collections/mcelroy/products/pin-of-the-month-i-h8-u-ron-may

That was a good bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbt2DaDu-oE

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Pretty sure these press releases are their equivalent to Wendy's twitter. They do it for the spectacle, outage, and laughs. Their target market will never read a press release from a restaurant unless somebody else calls attention to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"Any press is good press" seems like a bit of a stretch for lovely fast food getting articles for doing dumb poo poo. At least, I can't think of a Munch Squad that made me think "gee, I haven't been to <resturuant> in awhile." Granted, I speak from a place of bias. BK is dogshit in Canada so no amount of being reminded of it's existence will ever make me want to go to one.

It's a good bit and I love the animatic. I wish they could have got permission from the creator to model the pin after it because the pin is not nearly doofy looking enough for my taste.