Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pierson posted:

I feel a sudden urge to read Samurai/feudal Japan-based comics, the more hosed up the better, which is usually pretty easy since the feudal system was insanely hosed up. I've read the usual suspects (everything by Kazuo Koike, Jin, Shigurui, Vagabond, Blade of the Immortal, Ooku), anything else out there? My only request is they aren't based around cooking because I'm kind of over cooking-based mangas at the moment.

Sabu to Ichi Torimono Hikae is a good police procedural set in the Edo era. A lot of the cases are based in era specific cultural facets and it doesn't gloss over the nasty ones. It's pretty old and by Shotaro Ishinomori so the art might not be for you but it's real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The anime is half trasnlated and absolutely fantastic and very experimental and worth checking out too

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I want to hear about the hosed up feudal japanese cooking manga however

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Did that manga about the Japanese Mercenary in the 30 years war turn out to be good? Just remembered it now

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Issaks cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also read Takemitsu Zamurai.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm caught up on One Punch Man and One Piece. What should I watch now?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pierson posted:

I feel a sudden urge to read Samurai/feudal Japan-based comics, the more hosed up the better, which is usually pretty easy since the feudal system was insanely hosed up. I've read the usual suspects (everything by Kazuo Koike, Jin, Shigurui, Vagabond, Blade of the Immortal, Ooku), anything else out there? My only request is they aren't based around cooking because I'm kind of over cooking-based mangas at the moment.

what about tea? cause hyouge mono is hilarious

others (but not all of them hosed up!):
Yuki no Touge, Tsurugi no Mai
Soregashi Kojiki ni Arazu (this one is probably what youre looking for)
Yae no Sakura
Shigurui

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hell yeah I'll devour all this poo poo, thanks guys.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

QuarkJets posted:

Soul Eater

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

QuarkJets posted:

My Hero Academia.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

QuarkJets posted:

Probably mob psycho 100, it's usually considered the better of ONE's two works between it and one punch man

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Invictus posted:

Probably mob psycho 100, it's usually considered the better of ONE's two works between it and one punch man

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

hunter x hunter, fma brotherhood, mob psycho? There's a lot of good shonen out there, so it'd depend what else you've seen.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Captain Invictus posted:

:same:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Mob probably makes the most sense out of all the rec's. Both seasons are fan-drat-tastic, too. I'd argue Season 2 of Mob smokes Season 1 easily.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mecha shows with a more adult bent recommendations? I'm trying to find something that satisfies my need for giant robits without devolving into tits and rear end when the plot runs thin. I've seen Patlabor, Votoms and Flag, as well as most of the more adult oriented Gundam series. Anything else that fits that mould?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mecha shows with a more adult bent recommendations? I'm trying to find something that satisfies my need for giant robits without devolving into tits and rear end when the plot runs thin. I've seen Patlabor, Votoms and Flag, as well as most of the more adult oriented Gundam series. Anything else that fits that mould?

Seen Gurren Lagann yet?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Off the top of my head: Fafner, Evangelion if you haven't seen that, the recent SSSS.Gridman was really good but there is some fanservice in it, Giant Robo: The day the earth stood still.

Edit:

AnoHito posted:

Seen Gurren Lagann yet?

LOL at recommending TTGL to someone who doesn't want T&A.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Iron Blooded Orphans might be what you are looking for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Seen Eva and I wouldn't exactly consider it what I'm looking for. Gurren Lagann is fine and fun but I really want something that scratches the itch that Patlabor II the movie gave me. I've seen most of Oshii's other work but not a lot of it is really mecha related. I'm angling for more shows or films with adult protagonists that get into the nitty gritty of things rather than show where teenagers save the world with plucky can do attitude and crazy stunts. There's a time and place for that but Rooster Teeth's GenLock left me cold.

What is Fafner like?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Seen Eva and I wouldn't exactly consider it what I'm looking for. Gurren Lagann is fine and fun but I really want something that scratches the itch that Patlabor II the movie gave me. I've seen most of Oshii's other work but not a lot of it is really mecha related. I'm angling for more shows or films with adult protagonists that get into the nitty gritty of things rather than show where teenagers save the world with plucky can do attitude and crazy stunts. There's a time and place for that but Rooster Teeth's GenLock left me cold.

What is Fafner like?

Fafner is probably not what you're looking for judging by what you just said. Most of the pilots are teenagers and it's not really like Patlabor II at all. The main deal with Fafner is that the entire cast is a close-knit community living on a small island so every pilot is someone's child and everyone on the bridge is someone's mom or dad, which is then used for drama once things start going bad.

I will recommend J-Decker though, which ironically is a show for young children. It's very reminiscent of Patlabor, though moreso the TV show than the movies.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fang of the Sun Dougram would be perfect

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GorfZaplen posted:

Fang of the Sun Dougram would be perfect

I may have to check this one out. I'm a huge fan of Kunio Okawara's mecha designs.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's this old show from the late 90's called Gasaraki that I mostly enjoyed, but it's very heavy on being a political/supernatural thriller set in the near future and fairly stingy on the actual mecha stuff. The action scenes are really well done, they're just few and far between.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is Fafner like?

I hadn't seen this post and yeah Dougram would be perfect. It goes a lot more into the politics behind the conflict it covers and it takes like eight episodes to even introduce the titular mecha. The main cast are all technically teenagers but they're adult teenagers, 18-19. And there's lots of full grown adults in the cast to round it out anyway.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you might enjoy one of the shorts in the movie 'short peace'. it has a similar vibe to flag, tho not about journalists

also it doesn't fit the western conception of what mecha is, but try getting into space ship shows. the japanese count them as mecha, and plenty get really into the realism angle and/or have adult casts. see yamato 2199 (adults), Starship Operators (really realistic/a few adults) and of course logh!

Davincie fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 7, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It seems most of the stuff that appeals to me and your recommendations are all 80s and early 90s properties. Not that I'm complaining, just observing. I've tried to get into LOGH but I've never quite found the time to commit to it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hey thanks everyone for recommending Mob Psycho 100, this is really great

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Arcsquad12 posted:

It seems most of the stuff that appeals to me and your recommendations are all 80s and early 90s properties. Not that I'm complaining, just observing. I've tried to get into LOGH but I've never quite found the time to commit to it.

The particular intersection of "mature"/philosophical themes and mecha was very much of a certain era in anime, yes. Those two elements have diverged today, primarily because mecha as a whole is less popular now so people make philosophical anime about other things

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

id say adult sci fi was at it strongest in the 00s, but most series of that era have a variety of problems that make it less attractive to the modern anime fan (mostly they look like poo poo)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

king gainer looked like someone recorded it through a submarine window until the bd release a couple years ago. idk how they even managed to make some of those shows look as bad as they do

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

king gainer looked like someone recorded it through a submarine window until the bd release a couple years ago. idk how they even managed to make some of those shows look as bad as they do

This made me imagine a Musashi Gundoh Blu-ray release where it looks like a Takeshi Koike Lupin after being reprocessed

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
king gainer looking so bad on dvd is even more jarring when you look at the blu-ray because the blu-ray version is genuinely one of the most consistently well-animated shows from that period that i've seen. it's full of bizarre visual comedy that's loving invisible in its original release. i did not remember half of what happens in that show because all of it was smeared to hell when i first watched it

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Colonel posted:

king gainer looking so bad on dvd is even more jarring when you look at the blu-ray because the blu-ray version is genuinely one of the most consistently well-animated shows from that period that i've seen. it's full of bizarre visual comedy that's loving invisible in its original release. i did not remember half of what happens in that show because all of it was smeared to hell when i first watched it

Well also the dialog and (I hope) the translation was intensely bizarre and indecipherable.

I recall thinking the designs and animation and setting being impressive, and after like 3 eps wondering if it was a hong kong rip (then finding out it was Tomino and not being sure one way or the other).

Anyone wanna give a brief summary of what's supposed to be going on in the first few eps? I remember being frustrated and disappointed I couldn't follow what anyone was trying to do after liking how it looked so much.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DamnGlitch posted:

Well also the dialog and (I hope) the translation was intensely bizarre and indecipherable.

I recall thinking the designs and animation and setting being impressive, and after like 3 eps wondering if it was a hong kong rip (then finding out it was Tomino and not being sure one way or the other).

Anyone wanna give a brief summary of what's supposed to be going on in the first few eps? I remember being frustrated and disappointed I couldn't follow what anyone was trying to do after liking how it looked so much.

i'd recommend just, rewatching it with the blu-ray rips because the dialog is still kind of confusing but it makes a lot more sense when you can, actually see what's happening

the essence of it though is that it's an anime about how capitalism is literally the second greatest evil in the world and actively informs human pettiness and suffering

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

a group of characters want to escape the weird snowy railpunk city they live in to go on an exodus to a new land. a gamer falls into a giant robot because he happens to have nearly the same name as a figure in the rebels, and gets caught up in the chaos. there's a ferret.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if Clawshrimpy would have liked it better with the blu rips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wonder if Clawshrimpy would have liked it better with the blu rips
i wonder if clawshrimpy would have liked it better without 50 morons trying and failing to explain the trolley dilemma to them