Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

yeah, yeah, I live in Portland

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Section 31 was one of the worst things to ever happen to Trek.

It is a plague that will not die.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jeeves posted:

Agreed. I've come around to its use on DS9 as an explicitly villainous threat for the heroes to overcome that's used sparingly.

But, like the Borg, they're something that should never have been permitted to show up outside the series that introduced them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jeeves posted:

Aside from the books it's really just 1 or 2 episodes of DS9 and 1 season of Disco though, isn't it?

I haven't seen VOY or ENT so I dunno if they show up there.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also Into Darkness. Section 31 found Khan and made him build the Vengeance for them or something.

Also I think they were in an episode of Enterprise? I think Reed secretly worked for them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Veotax posted:

Also Into Darkness. Section 31 found Khan and made him build the Vengeance for them or something.

Also I think they were in an episode of Enterprise? I think Reed secretly worked for them.

Yeah, Reed was in communications with "Harris" who fed him Section 31 orders.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Reed had been an agent some time prior to the show and left the organization (iirc?). When the Klingons kidnapped Phlox, Reed was contacted by them again and then Reed used their help later during Terra Prime.

Obviously not as good a use of the concept as DS9, but leagues above Discovery and Into Darkness.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Veotax posted:

Into what now?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Section 31 is similar to the Mirror Universe: in small doses, it can be a very effective plot device. But the more the writers keep using it as a crutch, the more diluted and ridiculous the premise becomes until you get sick of seeing it.

It's exactly why I've come to not look forward to MU episodes on DS9. Crossover was a great episode, but each episode after that is not as good as its predecessor.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 doc was going through the list of check-boxes of "things the show did" that they were proud of, but they gave them selves a check for the gay kissin' with dax, but then took it away because it was a trill cop out and they admited they were kinda cowards on that entire angle and it was 100% clear garak was bi as hell but they didn't have the balls to tell that story. I thought that was nicely honest of them.

Speaking of gays in 90's scifi, I was watching Babylon 5 and there's been nothing explicit but 2 characters are being smuggled to Mars and need fake ID's and a fake cover story. The only one their contacts could get in time were that they were a newly married couple on their honeymoon. This was not played up as a gay-panic joke where they're grossed out, one character just isn't thrilled but it's only because he finds the other dude really annoying. But it makes clear that even in the fascist nightmare of the Earth Alliance, gay marriage is a very normal thing. That alone actually set it ahead of 90's trek on that front, where same-sex relationships just aren't ever mentioned as existing in the federation.

yeah i was expecting the worst but the only issue is being married to loving cole which is entirely reasonable regardless of gender

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's actually very sneakily progressive that his sole issue is it's freaking Cole

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Reed had been an agent some time prior to the show and left the organization (iirc?). When the Klingons kidnapped Phlox, Reed was contacted by them again and then Reed used their help later during Terra Prime.

Obviously not as good a use of the concept as DS9, but leagues above Discovery and Into Darkness.

It still left room for you to believe 31 was just some cult of a few guys.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah Enterprise actually followed the DS9 "canon" of S31 pretty well. It was still very ambiguous how big these guys were but it was clear they were ultra-secretive.

In Discovery they're just the federation's CIA. Everyone knows about them, they're just a slightly reviled but major institution.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The time cops that try to murder Voyager are a separate future entity of Starfleet right? I want more from those guys cause they were dumb as poo poo and hilariously ineffective.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

FlamingLiberal posted:

Even at the end of the latest season of Disco they still don’t explain how we go from basically everyone knowing what S31 is and them even having their own ships, to them being completely underground by DS9.

I felt like it was implied that Control basically assimilated all of the Section 31 ships before it was destroyed.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Orv posted:

The time cops that try to murder Voyager are a separate future entity of Starfleet right? I want more from those guys cause they were dumb as poo poo and hilariously ineffective.

Keystone Time Cops

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Keystone Time Cops

Please.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Ineffective to the point that one of them goes crazy from trying to keep timelines consistent. Dulmr and Lucsly they were not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nullsmack posted:

I felt like it was implied that Control basically assimilated all of the Section 31 ships before it was destroyed.
You’re correct, but in one of the last scenes of the finale they show Spock, Tyler, Number One, and Pike meeting with some Admiral and they put Tyler in charge of S31 even though I wonder what is really left after Control spaced the entire crew of 30+ ships

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't Tyler a Klangon

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress is voq

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Who the gently caress is voq
A Klingon who was mind wiped and surgically altered to be Ash Tyler, a Starfleet officer. The idea was for the Klingons to put him on Discovery as a sleeper agent and then have their agent basically wake up the Voq personality to cause problems on the ship. What they didn’t count on was having two personalities in his head started to kill him, so the now-Klingon Chancellor had to erase the dormant Voq personality to save his life

To be clear, the original Ash Tyler died as a Klingon POW

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

A Klingon who was mind wiped and surgically altered to be Ash Tyler, a Starfleet officer. The idea was for the Klingons to put him on Discovery as a sleeper agent and then have their agent basically wake up the Voq personality to cause problems on the ship. What they didn’t count on was having two personalities in his head started to kill him, so the now-Klingon Chancellor had to erase the dormant Voq personality to save his life

To be clear, the original Ash Tyler died as a Klingon POW

she does the Klingon death yell too so you know the Voq personality is gone for good

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

she does the Klingon death yell too so you know the Voq personality is gone for good

Unless the writers change their mind and bring Voq back later. Once you've crossed that line of bringing a clearly dead character back to life, the audience is more than entitled to not take any future deaths seriously unless that resurrection is the whole point of the film/show and serves as the emotional climax.

See also: Search for Spock (good example), Voyager (many, many bad examples).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Unless the writers change their mind and bring Voq back later. Once you've crossed that line of bringing a clearly dead character back to life, the audience is more than entitled to not take any future deaths seriously unless that resurrection is the whole point of the film/show and serves as the emotional climax.

See also: Search for Spock (good example), Voyager (many, many bad examples).
Ehhh that ship has sailed at this point

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought it was pretty clear that the Federation Council knows about Section 31 and went "eh... Sometimes you gotta get your hands dirty."

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

What puzzles me is that in such a continuity-heavy series like Trek, nobody seemed to forsee that adding in something as significant as what S31 represents wouldn't be a said plague. It not only introduces an element (Federation has Bad Guys in it too!), but it also entertains the notion of such an element into the work, be the work set before or after its written creation. Prequel? Oh, S31 is around. Sequel? Oh, that defeat of S31 didn't take. Reboot? Oh, S31 got rebooted. The only winning movie, thematically, is not to play.

Gene was a weird dude, but you know what he did when someone wrote up a story about a conspiracy within the Federation to do not-so-Federationy things? He said "No, gently caress that noise, make 'em worm aliens".

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 1, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ehhh that ship has sailed at this point

Indeed. Let's see... excluding time-loop shenanigans (which would mean we'd have to list everyone on the Discovery and Enterprise-D multiple times), and also limiting it to main cast (so no Kai Opaka and no random TOS crew who the writers forgot were dead), here's the list off the top of my head of characters who've died and returned:

Scotty (killed by Nomad; revived by Nomad)
Spock (died because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one; revived via Vulcan mysticism)
Worf (died after experimental spine surgery; rebooted with auxiliary backup spine)
Troi (temporarily died to evict that psychic parasite guy; revived by Dr. Crusher)
Harry Kim (twice; first time revived by Doctor and second time replaced by a duplicate and no one even cared lol)
Neelix (lol there's no Talaxian heaven; revived by plot device)
Tyler (died offscreen in Klingon custody; brain copy-pasted onto Voq)
Culber (neck snapped by Voq; revived through mushroom fuckery)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

And of course there's a bunch more times someone was believed dead but actually wasn't: Chekov, Data, Geordi and Ro, probably a shitload of others that are escaping me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Harry Kim Everyone on Voyager EXCEPT Harry Kim (replaced by a duplicate and no one even cared lol)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Powered Descent posted:

Indeed. Let's see... excluding time-loop shenanigans (which would mean we'd have to list everyone on the Discovery and Enterprise-D multiple times), and also limiting it to main cast (so no Kai Opaka and no random TOS crew who the writers forgot were dead), here's the list off the top of my head of characters who've died and returned:

Spock (died because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one; revived via Vulcan mysticism)
Worf (died after experimental spine surgery; rebooted with auxiliary backup spine)
Troi (temporarily died to evict that psychic parasite guy; revived by Dr. Crusher)
Harry Kim (twice; first time revived by Doctor and second time replaced by a duplicate and no one even cared lol)

And of course there's a bunch more times someone was believed dead but actually wasn't: Chekov, Data, Geordi and Ro, probably a shitload of others that are escaping me.

This is exactly the point I was making, yes.

Voq being apparently dead doesn't mean anything if the writers decide they want him back.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chief O'Brien also died at some point. And Sisko got turned into a ghost, which is close enough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

thotsky posted:

The sexual angle makes it come across as very conservative, maybe even fashy, but I like the idea that we're trading for the scraps of more technologically advanced aliens / in danger of being enslaved by them. That's pretty similar to David Brin's Uplift Universe. The parallel to colonization is interesting.

david brin looooooved to write about animal fuckin' and that's no good

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

corn in the bible posted:

david brin looooooved to write about animal fuckin' and that's no good

I must have glossed over that part :eyepop:

I'd go back to check but the pages are stuck together now

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

thotsky posted:

I must have glossed over that part :eyepop:

I'd go back to check but the pages are stuck together now

I'm not going to ask with what.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Thousands of probes from Star Trek IV spam the galaxy with their pulses. Starfleet sends ships with whales aboard to halt the damage.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Worf was twice also (second time was "thrown off second-story railing by man turning into energy being; rebooted by same man turning into energy being.")

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If they really do go ahead with a Section 31 spinoff they should find some way to bring back SLOAN.

Like I don’t care about that the timeline doesn’t make sense, or that he’s dead or whatever - bring in the SLOANs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sash! posted:

Chief O'Brien also died at some point. And Sisko got turned into a ghost, which is close enough.
Yeah technically the original Chief died in the episode where he kept jumping forward in time, and he was replaced by his slightly-in-the-future double

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

-scribblemark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I just watched a Voyager where B'Ellana does the whole flatliners thing to temporarily die to try to rescue her mother from Klingon hell.