Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

SoapyTarantula posted:

Yeah I haven't even seen a game warden out here since getting my license this year, but I know that if I didn't have one for whatever reason then he'd show up. Wardens out here have two types; younger guys who think they're the wildlife version of Judge Dredd, and 60 year old good ole boys that only fine you if you aren't their friend. I've had more interactions with city police asking to verify my stuff than I have had with the department of wildlife.

Paying for a daily pond permit sounds like poo poo. I get that's "just how it is" in some places but gently caress.

Yeah it's totally dumb. I'm fine with it if they plant fish in the lake, like trout and catfish, but for just a bass lake with awful shore fishing access I'm just not cool with that. I've gone out there a few times and not been able to fish because all of the fishable spots were crowded. At least our DFW officers out here are really cool. I've been stopped 4 times this year already and license checked, and every time the officer was chill and would hang out and chat fishing with you; after checking your license of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

Yeah it's totally dumb. I'm fine with it if they plant fish in the lake, like trout and catfish, but for just a bass lake with awful shore fishing access I'm just not cool with that. I've gone out there a few times and not been able to fish because all of the fishable spots were crowded. At least our DFW officers out here are really cool. I've been stopped 4 times this year already and license checked, and every time the officer was chill and would hang out and chat fishing with you; after checking your license of course.

I'm dumbstruck by daily pond fees in addition to a valid license. That is madness. Why not just make the annual license cost a little more? Why even have an annual license if you need to buy a daily permit anyway? I'm definitely not the sort of dude who gets mad about license requirements or fees (DFW does extremely important work and it's not like any American nonmilitary government agency is properly funded), it just seems like that system is designed for maximum inconvenience, resulting in more citations and revenue generation through fines. :tinfoil:

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I think it's because the lakes here are man made, city owned drinking water reservoirs. There's also no dogs allowed within 50 feet (never seen it enforced), no swimming (I've seen kids playing in the water before), and of course no peeing in the lake (definitely pissed off the side of a boat before).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm dumbstruck by daily pond fees in addition to a valid license. That is madness. Why not just make the annual license cost a little more? Why even have an annual license if you need to buy a daily permit anyway? I'm definitely not the sort of dude who gets mad about license requirements or fees (DFW does extremely important work and it's not like any American nonmilitary government agency is properly funded), it just seems like that system is designed for maximum inconvenience, resulting in more citations and revenue generation through fines. :tinfoil:

Our license is already expensive, 55 bucks is this year including the saltwater stamp :(

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Our license is already expensive, 55 bucks is this year including the saltwater stamp :(

It's $80 here, but that's all inclusive for freshwater, saltwater, crab & shellfish, 2-rod endorsement, etc. You can get them piecemeal cheaper if you wanted to. $80 once a year is honestly fine with me, though. Hatcheries don't operate for free and salmon need all the help they can get right now.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I don't think it's that expensive, but that's because up until a few years ago I'd just buy a 2 day permit for the one fishing trip I'd take every year. The 2 day permit is like $25, so I always just told myself that if I fished more than 4 times in a year then it was worth it. I think I've fished 4 times in the last week, lol, so money well spent!

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus you guys have some expensive rear end licenses. Kansas resident licenses are like $30, but that doesn't include 3 pole or trout. I'm actually pretty tempted to snag a lifetime license for $500.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Freshwater only is $29.50 so it's not like you have to do the $80 option. I just like to be able to fish for anything whenever I want to do it, and I'm fortunate enough to live someplace with a lot of variety of fishing opportunities.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Freshwater only is $29.50 so it's not like you have to do the $80 option. I just like to be able to fish for anything whenever I want to do it, and I'm fortunate enough to live someplace with a lot of variety of fishing opportunities.

Got invited to go on a neighbors boat fishing off the west port jetty. Promise to give you a full report in two weeks.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Got invited to go on a neighbors boat fishing off the west port jetty. Promise to give you a full report in two weeks.

Oh hell yes. I hope you learn a lot about what works over there and come home with a limit. I want to give those poke poles another try when the tides are more cooperative, too!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh hell yes. I hope you learn a lot about what works over there and come home with a limit. I want to give those poke poles another try when the tides are more cooperative, too!

Yeah I felt like we tried one too many things on that trip. It’s ok the weather was great.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I expect good things!

In other news, I took myself on a solo day trip to a state park 1.5 hours north. The month and a half puget sound lingcod season just started, so I figured it'd be the right time to try that.

Total skunk. AGAIN. Tried for lingcod for a while, tried deadsticking some bait for greenling/perch/rockfish... Even went to the sandy flats in the bay and tried for flatfish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh my god how pretty! You need to say the location.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Deception Pass. It's seriously gorgeous, lots of hiking trails.

Also I had an all-day airshow. There's a naval base right there and there were fighter jets buzzing the park every 15 minutes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh yeah didn’t realize it was that pretty there. Some awesome idiot navy flyboi drew a penis above there last year.

God bless him.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I made a friend while out fishing today! He was super interested in the contents of my bag of worms. Which is more attention than the fish paid to them. I may have skunked, but so did everyone else at the park. At least the old timers I talked to said I was dead on with my choice of a junebug colored strike king cutter worm and a walking frog.

Edit: I swear that rod and reel turns me into a disney princess. Last time I used it, the gator was following me around. This time it was birbs and a couple squirrels. Everything but fish.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 5, 2019

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Just came back from an evening at one of the piers. Only caught this little fella, who would've gone back if I hadn't hooked him in the gut while spinning for garfish. So I bashed in his head and used him for bait, but to no avail.

It's a "tobis" in Danish, which Google tells me is a "sandeel" in Freedomspeak.

I also had a flatfish line running and something kept nibbling furiously and stealing my nightcrawlers off the hook :emo:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mzuri posted:

Just came back from an evening at one of the piers. Only caught this little fella, who would've gone back if I hadn't hooked him in the gut while spinning for garfish. So I bashed in his head and used him for bait, but to no avail.

It's a "tobis" in Danish, which Google tells me is a "sandeel" in Freedomspeak.

I also had a flatfish line running and something kept nibbling furiously and stealing my nightcrawlers off the hook :emo:

Well it's not a sand eel but it's something cute.

I went out on a local lake kayak and I got a few strikes but couldnt hook any trout. My buddy landed a few wild cutthroat dinks and one fat planter so I at least got to eat something.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

LingcodKilla posted:

Well it's not a sand eel but it's something cute.

I went out on a local lake kayak and I got a few strikes but couldnt hook any trout. My buddy landed a few wild cutthroat dinks and one fat planter so I at least got to eat something.

"Lesser sand-eel", then? Just looked up a more reputable source.

What kayak do you have? I'm considering getting one for fishing and duck hunting.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I know you weren't asking me but I have a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 and it is a lot of kayak for a reasonable price point. I was looking at Jacksons and Wilderness Systems but couldn't really get into dropping $1200. I think I paid $900 out the door and got a loving beast. I have had it 3 years and have yet to tip it. I had some specifications I needed it to meet, like it needed to fit my 6'4" ~300 frame plus my tackle, and the Sea Ghost had a 450lb capacity, so it was more than enough. Tossed a YakAttack box on the back and can easily carry everything I could ever want to.

Came with an upgraded seat
side tacklebox holders
center console
front stowage
stowage behind seat
cargo net for rear area
foot pedal controlled rudder

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. I was looking at Hobie models and holy gently caress am I not paying $5k for a kayak.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. I was looking at Hobie models and holy gently caress am I not paying $5k for a kayak.

Hobbies a rich man kayak if you can’t find one at an estate sail or a couple years old used.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

hagie posted:

I know you weren't asking me but I have a Vibe Sea Ghost 130 and it is a lot of kayak for a reasonable price point. I was looking at Jacksons and Wilderness Systems but couldn't really get into dropping $1200. I think I paid $900 out the door and got a loving beast. I have had it 3 years and have yet to tip it. I had some specifications I needed it to meet, like it needed to fit my 6'4" ~300 frame plus my tackle, and the Sea Ghost had a 450lb capacity, so it was more than enough. Tossed a YakAttack box on the back and can easily carry everything I could ever want to.

Came with an upgraded seat
side tacklebox holders
center console
front stowage
stowage behind seat
cargo net for rear area
foot pedal controlled rudder

Awesome, thanks! Hobies look great, but that price point :aaaaa:

I've been looking at a Galaxy Alboran, which looks a lot like yours. How does it cope with waves and wind?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I have yet to flip it. I haven't tried standing in it, so there is that grain of salt.

I typically head to a low boat traffic lake and don't have horrible waves, but if I can move my boat in time I always try to face the wave. I have been on a high traffic lake and spent more time correcting than putting lures in the water. Drove an hour and a half to paddle for 30minutes, cast 4 times and get pissed and paddle back and leave.

The Alboran looks like a 2013 Sea Ghost with the sit in style seat

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Pedal yaks are awesome, you should be able to find one second hand with all the gear for much less than half that.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

The mirage drive patent expired, you can get cheaper kayaks with that tech now. Pelican makes one for $1500.

I caught my first striper on Friday, and then 3 more. They were all small, no monsters, but it was fun to catch a new species.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

joem83 posted:

The mirage drive patent expired, you can get cheaper kayaks with that tech now. Pelican makes one for $1500.

I caught my first striper on Friday, and then 3 more. They were all small, no monsters, but it was fun to catch a new species.

You just need to keep in mind that is the patent for the original mirage drive which were pretty bad. You could probably get the cheap kayak and then fork out for the legit mirage drive from a Hobie dealer though.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
As long as it's stable when sitting, that's fine. Standing up in any small craft is an invitation to fall overboard and I can't imagine when I would want do to that.

I used to do a lot of sea kayaking so rowing doesn't really bother me. My main use for the pedal drive would be to stalk ducks and geese with both hands free for gun use, and to... uh... What do you use the pedal drive for when fishing? Keeping position? Steering?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

The pedal drive keeps your hands free to do more fishing while not tiring you out having to paddle. Legs do the work, arms get to casting/baiting/Facebooking.

Most of the time I set up so I can cast and have my bait retrieval tow me around. Heavy spinnerbaits/chatterbaits do this great.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’m thinking about buying a tenkara. Any good starter packages you guys know of? I’ll be on kayak fishing placid lakes.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

LingcodKilla posted:

I’m thinking about buying a tenkara. Any good starter packages you guys know of? I’ll be on kayak fishing placid lakes.

I got the Dragontail Shadowfire 365 kit off amazon and I'm real happy with it, think I paid a little over a hundred for the rod, line, flies, and a rod sock/hard case. It's about 12 feet long, a good starter length and you can always go for longer line once you get comfortable casting. Kayaking on lakes would be perfect for longer than rod length line to cast further.

It's not the best rod you can get, and it's not ~~imported~~ but it's been solid for a beginner. Also the price was right!

If you are thinking you might hook up on substantial fish, you might want to look at the Dragontail Hellbender. Little bit stiffer rod to handle bigger catches. Tenkara isn't really made for monster fish in the first place, but it's up to you what you like.

If you fly fish you can use the same flies, just be careful with heavy streamers/beadhead nymphs, if you hit the rod with a heavy fly you can chip it.

I wont go crazy about line type, but the furled line that comes with the kit is probably the easiest line type to start with. Same length as the rod, 4-6 feet of 5x tippet depending on conditions, tie on a fly and catch some gills to get a feel for it. Then you can look at longer line, different types like level line, etc.

Have fun!

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 14, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

LegionAreI posted:

I got the Dragontail Shadowfire 365 kit off amazon and I'm real happy with it, think I paid a little over a hundred for the rod, line, flies, and a rod sock/hard case. It's about 12 feet long, a good starter length and you can always go for longer line once you get comfortable casting. Kayaking on lakes would be perfect for longer than rod length line to cast further.

It's not the best rod you can get, and it's not ~~imported~~ but it's been solid for a beginner. Also the price was right!

If you are thinking you might hook up on substantial fish, you might want to look at the Dragontail Hellbender. Little bit stiffer rod to handle bigger catches. Tenkara isn't really made for monster fish in the first place, but it's up to you what you like.

If you fly fish you can use the same flies, just be careful with heavy streamers/beadhead nymphs, if you hit the rod with a heavy fly you can chip it.

I wont go crazy about line type, but the furled line that comes with the kit is probably the easiest line type to start with. Same length as the rod, 4-6 feet of 5x tippet depending on conditions, tie on a fly and catch some gills to get a feel for it. Then you can look at longer line, different types like level line, etc.

Have fun!

Yeah our local lake has quite a few small rainbows and a mess of coastal cutthroats. This looks pretty decent. May be a good start.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

LingcodKilla posted:

The Shadowfire is a great starter kit, or you can get a Shimotsuke rod (the 360 length)and some Hi-Viz level line in a size 3.0-4.0 for a bit cheaper. You can also use about any fluoro fishing line in the 10-15lb range for casting line, just can be hard to see without a sighter. I’d use like 5x tippet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hrm. My neighbor (who’s boats I go on) is telling me to just go straight to fly due to us fishing large ponds and the fact he was an Alaska lodge fly fishing instructor for a couple of seasons.

Gonna buy my own rod and reel at least for starters.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

LingcodKilla posted:

Hrm. My neighbor (who’s boats I go on) is telling me to just go straight to fly due to us fishing large ponds and the fact he was an Alaska lodge fly fishing instructor for a couple of seasons.

Gonna buy my own rod and reel at least for starters.

Yeah, if they are big ponds, regular fly will let you cover a lot more water. My area has a lot of bluelines and small water so it works well in that case. I dont have a lot of room to cast.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I caught a few fish tossing artificials this week, including my first ever rockfish

Both lil guys, I'm just psyched for a new species

tied for my biggest, will be a good eater (that's not my hand)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Where are you?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It’s a gopher btw.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Golden Gardens, just across the sound from you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Hooplah posted:

(that's not my hand)

It's cool man, be proud of your liver spots!