Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Me too

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Post without rhythm

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

:hmmyes:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Halloween Jack posted:

You're right. A great deal of Herbert is just-so stories that are very much of their time. Because he confidently makes assertions about lofty issues, it sounds like reason.

of course, given that he says this exact thing about how the prophet confidently uses 'the power of declarative statements' and how it bewitches people or whatever one wonder if he was aware of this habit

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

one wonder if he was aware of this habit

I think he played around with that idea, yes.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Wow, Duncan Idaho really hates gay people.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

whydirt posted:

Post without rhythm

Best post in thread, shut her down

e: please do not do that

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I love how all the Harkonnen scenes in Lynchs Dune look like a failed green screen effect. Genuinely love it.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Hello thread, I just caught up and I've just started reading Dune again. It's been a couple of years so I fired up the dvd last weekend.

I've discovered some new pals;

Dejected-looking Nefud and Guildman

And grumpy slide-whistle Guildman

I hope they get some screentime in the new DUNE

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The guild navigator scene with the emperor is definitely the highlight of the Lynch film.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The Bene Gesserit witch must leave

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It’s the “No Bene Gesserit Witches” club, we can have one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

~extremely Kurtwood Smith voice~ Witches Leave!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

You're right. A great deal of Herbert is just-so stories that are very much of their time. Because he confidently makes assertions about lofty issues, it sounds like reason. This becomes glaringly obvious when he starts talking about men and women.

There's more insight into the nature of power and the course of history in the first 3 paragraphs of the 18th Brumaire than there is in Herbert's entire body of work

The further along in the series you go the worse it gets. I have said it before but Chapterhouse is really bad for it. The Bene Gesserit have some fantasy form of monasterial anarchy that somehow avoids patterns and taxes and boy are they going to tell you about it!

Plus they did it all without pussy magic!

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Anyone else think Piter dies too early in the first book? wasted villain.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So they should have drawn the story out like Ramsay Bolton huh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pieter getting owned by Yeuh via Leto was pretty poetic though. (Although he was hoping for the Baron)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Yeah the poison tooth is a great scene

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It can be argued that brought down House Harkonnen

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

kiimo posted:

It can be argued that brought down House Harkonnen
It also put a Harkonnen on the throne, though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my mouth tastes like rear end... and dirt.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Joe Chill posted:

Apparently the Dune board game is coming back after being out of print in english since the 80s.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/05/dune-spice-and-sandworms-power-one-of-the-great-lost-board-games/

Now to con find some friends to play it.

HOLY poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Long live the Dune thread.

drunkill posted:

Long live the shitposters!

kiimo posted:

God created the Dune thread to test the patience.

phasmid posted:

Drive them. Drive them into utter submission. Do not show the slightest pity or mercy!

Zeniel posted:

Prescience is stored in the Pauls.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

uber_stoat posted:

my mouth tastes like rear end... and dirt.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Wowshawk posted:

Hello thread, I just caught up and I've just started reading Dune again. It's been a couple of years so I fired up the dvd last weekend.

And grumpy slide-whistle Guildman

I hope they get some screentime in the new DUNE

What?? Why does he have a slide whistle in his mouth. Is it meant to be a futuristic breathing aid, or was Lynch just amused by the idea of a Guildsman who hates navigating but loves slide whistles? Help.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

What?? Why does he have a slide whistle in his mouth. Is it meant to be a futuristic breathing aid, or was Lynch just amused by the idea of a Guildsman who hates navigating but loves slide whistles? Help.

*folds space and transports a ship into the middle of a super nova*

*slide whistle sound*

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

kiimo posted:

*folds space and transports a ship into the middle of a super nova*

*slide whistle sound*

Wow, I can actually picture that really clearly. It just *works*

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I’d watch a short film of Guild Navigators folding space to Benny Hill music

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This cast is...impossible

Timothée Chalamet - Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Jessica Atreides
Dave Bautista - Glossu "The Beast" Rabban
Stellan Skarsgård - Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Charlotte Rampling - Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Oscar Isaac - Duke Leto Atreides
Javier Bardem - Stilgar of Sietch Tabr
Josh Brolin - Gurney Halleck
Dave Dastmalchian - Piter De Vries
Jason Momoa - Duncan Idaho
Chang Chen - Dr. Wellington Yueh

rumored

Zendaya - Chani of Sietch Tabr
Stephen Henderson - Thuffir Hawat

crew

Denis Villanueve - [ director/writer ] (Incendies, Prisoners, Enemy, Arrival, Sicario, Blade Runner 2049)
Joe Walker - [ editor ] (Hunger, Shame, 12 Years A Slave, Blackhat, Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049, Widows)
Eric Roth - [ writer] (The Insider, Ali, Munich, The Good Shepherd, Luck, A Star Is Born)
Greig Fraser - [ director of photography ] (Let Me In, Snow White and the Huntsman, Zero Dark Thirty, Foxcatcher, Lion, Rogue One, The Mandalorian)
Jon Spaihts - [ co-writer ] (Prometheus, Dr Strange, Passengers, The Mummy)
David J. Peterson - [ linguist ] (Game of Thrones, Defiance, Thor 2, Warcraft)
Hans Zimmer - [ composer ] (The Thin Red Line, Inception, The Dark Knight, Interstellar, 12 Years A Slave, Blade Runner 2049, and everything else...)
John Nelson - [ visual effects supervisor ] (Gladiator, Blade Runner 2049, I, Robot, Iron Man, and some work on Terminator 2)
Richard R. Hoover - [ effects ] (Armageddon, Superman Returns, Blade Runner 2049)
Paul Lambert - [ effects ] (Blade Runner 2049, First Man)
Patrice Vermette - [ production design ] (Arrival, The Young Victoria)

November 20, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Witches leave.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tree Bucket posted:

It's got to be something to do with their spice diet. Also, am I wrong or does the main Guildsman (the one who speaks to Emperor Shaddam through that weird microphone) have more boils on his head later on, in the throne room scene at the climax? David Lynch loves boils.

Fun fact: The Guildsmen's suits were made out of old bodybags, and rumour is that they had been used before.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Speaker posted:

Fun fact: The Guildsmen's suits were made out of old bodybags, and rumour is that they had been used before.
They look pretty cool.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Uproot your posts from their thread and the dangling roots will be seen. More posts!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

It's got to be something to do with their spice diet. Also, am I wrong or does the main Guildsman (the one who speaks to Emperor Shaddam through that weird microphone) have more boils on his head later on, in the throne room scene at the climax? David Lynch loves boils.

To me when I saw it as an impressionable kid it looked like his head was beginning to crack open and some orangey goo was seeping out, it was nasty. Changing into a 3rd stage navigator or whatever?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

he who can destroy a thing, controls a thing.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

priznat posted:

To me when I saw it as an impressionable kid it looked like his head was beginning to crack open and some orangey goo was seeping out, it was nasty. Changing into a 3rd stage navigator or whatever?

That's what I figured, too. In any case it's a weird detail.

How does the Guild work anyway? Is it ever expanded on in the sequels, how Navigators are chosen or trained? Is it like a Jedi deal, selected and trained from birth? For that matter, how do the other 'schools' work?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
You've heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap. There's an animal kind of trick. They should try spinning- that's a good trick.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Mister Speaker posted:

That's what I figured, too. In any case it's a weird detail.

How does the Guild work anyway? Is it ever expanded on in the sequels, how Navigators are chosen or trained? Is it like a Jedi deal, selected and trained from birth? For that matter, how do the other 'schools' work?

The only "detail" I can think of off the top of my head is that Mohiam says to Paul that it operates on "pure mathematics".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Hmm well you see I got my degree in pure math and the thing I remember most about non linear analysis was the question,

if I have a sandwich how do I cut it in half so both halves have equal parts of each ingredient?