Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Powered Descent posted:

Indeed. Let's see... excluding time-loop shenanigans (which would mean we'd have to list everyone on the Discovery and Enterprise-D multiple times), and also limiting it to main cast (so no Kai Opaka and no random TOS crew who the writers forgot were dead), here's the list off the top of my head of characters who've died and returned:

Scotty (killed by Nomad; revived by Nomad)
Spock (died because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one; revived via Vulcan mysticism)
Worf (died after experimental spine surgery; rebooted with auxiliary backup spine)
Troi (temporarily died to evict that psychic parasite guy; revived by Dr. Crusher)
Harry Kim (twice; first time revived by Doctor and second time replaced by a duplicate and no one even cared lol)
Neelix (lol there's no Talaxian heaven; revived by plot device)
Tyler (died offscreen in Klingon custody; brain copy-pasted onto Voq)
Culber (neck snapped by Voq; revived through mushroom fuckery)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

And of course there's a bunch more times someone was believed dead but actually wasn't: Chekov, Data, Geordi and Ro, probably a shitload of others that are escaping me.

Would Tuvok and Neelix both count since Tuvix considered himself a unique entity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I was going to suggest the time Torres got sent to the Klingon boat hell, but I think maybe she was just in a coma or something

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Would Tuvok and Neelix both count since Tuvix considered himself a unique entity?

Yes, I think so. For the deaths listed, I think it counts for less when it's undone by the end of the episode

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

Harry Kim (twice; first time revived by Doctor and second time replaced by a duplicate and no one even cared lol)

They had some potential to play with this idea and have him be bothered by it at least and come to terms with it.
If only Voyager wasn't the unflavored oatmeal series of Star Trek.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nullsmack posted:

They had some potential to play with this idea and have him be bothered by it at least and come to terms with it.
If only Voyager wasn't the unflavored oatmeal series of Star Trek.

TOS: Rolled oats lightly sprinkled with sugar
TNG: Quaker apple cinnamon oatmeal
DS9: Shrimp and grits
VOY: Lukewarm unflavored oatmeal with too much water
ENT: VOY’s oatmeal reheated and desperately spiced with cinnamon and sugar to make it more palatable
DIS: Boiling hot oats with a fudge brownie shoved in it for some reason

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TAS: Wake and bake

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
DS9: JAM-BA-LAY-A!

Voyager: Oscar Meyer bologna on Wonder bread.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

DS9: JAM-BA-LAY-A!

Voyager: Oscar Meyer bologna on Wonder bread.

Nah, at least bologna can be satisfying. Voyager is more like the sandwich a parent rushed to put together as the kid was out the door to school and then at lunch they open it up and realize it’s just a hot dog bun folded in half with a kraft single.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I mean he willingly lives in New Jersey so maybe

I've lived about 10 miles away from him for 2 years and about to leave without seeing him in Trader Joes.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What’s Avery Brooks’ greatest overacting moment? I have a bunch kicking around in my head.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

What’s Avery Brooks’ greatest overacting moment? I have a bunch kicking around in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvIldhdsJmA&t=95s

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's hammock time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCyowQs8dEA

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5THKsYBpI&t=21s

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

This was gonna be my post.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Some friends wanted to watch TNG and I joined in with them. I love that some friends who haven't watched any Trek before are clued into the tropes. On the first holodeck episode (The Big Goodbye) upon Mr Whalen showing up to the holodeck my friend pretty correctly guessed things would go badly for him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ISN'T IT POSSIBLE?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Weird yelp-laughing Sisko is something we didn't get nearly enough of in DS9.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know if it was necessarily overacting, but Brooks clearly relished playing a Klingon in Apocalypse Rising and took to that role with his usual gusto. He actually made a pretty convincing Klingon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
A lot of great Sisko moments are quite poorly represented on Youtube — I couldn’t find him being the psycho killer Dax at all — but the Klingon cosplay episode’s got probably my favorite bit of Brooks yelling on the show

https://youtu.be/nHIkMDgvZdo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Blast Fantasto posted:

"It's a CLOCK!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The supercut is always a good watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvYiSDJujA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like it needs to be stated that Sisko as the previous Dax host was the 2nd take. Apparently the first take was so dark they told him he had to turn it down a bit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ironically as much as I love Brooks overacting or not even overacting and just getting into the role with a grin or a laugh, I think my favorite piece of Sisko is when Quark and Rom crawl into his office through the wall panel and his only response when they leave is just to look completely unsurprised by it all.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s that look where you can exactly tell he’s reconsidering every decision he’s made that led up to that point.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
in the workplace comedy that ds9 occasionally is, and where it excels, Sisko as Mr. "I never even wanted to be here" is exceptional

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Section 31 is similar to the Mirror Universe: in small doses, it can be a very effective plot device. But the more the writers keep using it as a crutch, the more diluted and ridiculous the premise becomes until you get sick of seeing it.

It's exactly why I've come to not look forward to MU episodes on DS9. Crossover was a great episode, but each episode after that is not as good as its predecessor.

Is Crossover the one where they steal Sisko to build their own version of Defiant? That was the only MU episode I liked at all in DS9. I guess I did also like the first one or so where they had mirror Sisko, because it seemed like Avery let loose and really enjoyed being goofy af.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Pick posted:

in the workplace comedy that ds9 occasionally is, and where it excels, Sisko as Mr. "I never even wanted to be here" is exceptional

For some reason, the scene where Jake replicates a ractijino or w/e and dunks a biscuit into it and it fizzes up and Sisko freaks out a little and has exactly that kind of look... that scene is always super memorable to me for some reason.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Crossover is the very first one where they establish the DS9 MU. Quark dies, Garak tries to betray the superintendent, Sisko and his crew rebel.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Finster Dexter posted:

Is Crossover the one where they steal Sisko to build their own version of Defiant? That was the only MU episode I liked at all in DS9. I guess I did also like the first one or so where they had mirror Sisko, because it seemed like Avery let loose and really enjoyed being goofy af.

No, the Mirror-Defiant one is Shattered Mirror. But it was nice to see Brooks let loose as "Captain Sisko" in the original.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dunno why but i really liked siskos surprised look when weyoun drinks the poison kanar

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Someone really needs to make a full gif of the scene.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The posted Our Man Bashir and ISN’T IT POSSIBLE were two of the ones I had in my head.

CPColin posted:

The one about 2:50 in where he and Dukat are arguing in the cave and Sisko yells EVIDENCE is my pick by the way

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HD DAD posted:

TOS: Rolled oats lightly sprinkled with sugar
TNG: Quaker apple cinnamon oatmeal
DS9: Shrimp and grits
VOY: Lukewarm unflavored oatmeal with too much water
ENT: VOY’s oatmeal reheated and desperately spiced with cinnamon and sugar to make it more palatable
DIS: Boiling hot oats with a fudge brownie shoved in it for some reason

That's not a brownie....

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CPColin posted:

If you just listen to it, it sounds like one long scene. :allears:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Pick posted:

The Orville but on a space station is definitely a concept that could have some comedy legs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Someone really needs to make a full gif of the scene.

That reminds me I need to learn to make gifs for a good Gowron avatar. It was annoying to get a decent quality one last time I tried.

Specifically of this turn and grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFq0Ch1Yg4A&t=7s

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 2, 2019

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Blast Fantasto posted:

The one about 2:50 in where he and Dukat are arguing in the cave and Sisko yells EVIDENCE is my pick by the way

this guy gets it

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Indeed. Let's see... excluding time-loop shenanigans (which would mean we'd have to list everyone on the Discovery and Enterprise-D multiple times), and also limiting it to main cast (so no Kai Opaka and no random TOS crew who the writers forgot were dead), here's the list off the top of my head of characters who've died and returned:

Scotty (killed by Nomad; revived by Nomad)
Spock (died because the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one; revived via Vulcan mysticism)
Worf (died after experimental spine surgery; rebooted with auxiliary backup spine)
Troi (temporarily died to evict that psychic parasite guy; revived by Dr. Crusher)
Neelix (lol there's no Talaxian heaven; revived by plot device)
Tyler (died offscreen in Klingon custody; brain copy-pasted onto Voq)
Culber (neck snapped by Voq; revived through mushroom fuckery)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

And of course there's a bunch more times someone was believed dead but actually wasn't: Chekov, Data, Geordi and Ro, probably a shitload of others that are escaping me.

Data died in Nemesis and is heavily implied to come back as B4.

And as for Section 31, in Disco they’re barely in the first season and associated with the secret fascist captain there. In season 2 they are the antagonists, and the two main members are an awful lying murderer and a former genocidal dictator. Our heroes hate it, and repeatedly shame Tyler for being a member, considering him to have disgraced himself by being joining. Section 31 built an AI which then was influenced by the group into deciding to kill all life in the galaxy. The AI takes over the organisation, kills almost everyone and then is itself destroyed by our heroes. The season ends with literally one person left in Section 31.

But yeah, Discovery is pro-Section 31.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Data died in Nemesis and is heavily implied to come back as B4.

And as for Section 31, in Disco they’re barely in the first season and associated with the secret fascist captain there. In season 2 they are the antagonists, and the two main members are an awful lying murderer and a former genocidal dictator. Our heroes hate it, and repeatedly shame Tyler for being a member, considering him to have disgraced himself by being joining. Section 31 built an AI which then was influenced by the group into deciding to kill all life in the galaxy. The AI takes over the organisation, kills almost everyone and then is itself destroyed by our heroes. The season ends with literally one person left in Section 31.

But yeah, Discovery is pro-Section 31.

Ash is still a S31 believer and thinks it needs to exist though and so does Starfleet apparently. Most people in this thread hate the very idea that the Federation needs S31 to survive because its ideals are actually dumb and impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The whole point of Star Trek is a world in which those ideals aren't dumb and impossible (and then 30 however many seasons of ignoring most of those ideals to poke space things with sticks) and it's part of my issue with Discovery, in that it feels like a modern day group of people got put on a Star Trek ship and filmed. Not that TOS-ENT were without interpersonal conflict by any means but Discovery just feels, juvenile.