Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Clark Nova posted:

JFC you wouldn't want an 18-month old to miss camping :jerkbag: Is there anything for an infant to "miss" except the excitement of changing diapers in the woods and getting bitten by mosquitoes on every exposed square inch of skin?

Wistfully remembering the Is Camping Fun debate we had not long ago ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

my mother is one of those paranoid door lockers. I 100% know where the family is coming from because it is never just about locked doors. It's also locking car doors near black people. Making sure alarms are set if you're leaving for 5 minutes. Planning how to leave the house so people will think you're home.

It's an illness.

This seems like a very you experience as opposed to the experience of most people who lock doors. Which is why doors have locks on them.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Leon Einstein posted:

We took our kids camping at roughly the same ages; the younger one was a nightmare.

I was just about to make this same comment. 3.5-year-old loved it; 1.5-year-old was miserable.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MasBrillante posted:

This seems like a very you experience as opposed to the experience of most people who lock doors. Which is why doors have locks on them.

Most people don't turn into an anxious wreck because of an unlocked door.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
yeah that guy is guilt tripping grandpa to get a weekend off from the kids and its really obvious, and grandpa knows what he is doing

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

my mother is one of those paranoid door lockers. I 100% know where the family is coming from because it is never just about locked doors. It's also locking car doors near black people. Making sure alarms are set if you're leaving for 5 minutes. Planning how to leave the house so people will think you're home.

It's an illness.

Lol wtf city do you live in? In seattle if you don't lock your car door you'll get people sleeping in it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MasBrillante posted:

you know, society generally doesn't do a very good job of taking care of the mentally ill so I'm glad that we collectively decided to fit every building with locks to accommodate the minority insane enough to want or use them :angel:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: oh my god the comments, what the gently caress? I'm currently the literal only person to go NTA

it's more complicated when you remember hitler's origin story

not saying it was bad to destroy the painting, just be careful

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It would have been funnier if he'd hidden a little painted dong somewhere in there.

Fake E: Other than Hitler's of course.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Motronic posted:

Yep. I'm in a very safe area, very low crime rates, etc. But a few months ago somebody who broke out of jail ended up hiding in my neighbors barn and there were like SWAT teams and poo poo roaming around.

We all lock our barns now.

That happened while I was out of town. We got word of a police chase in our neighborhood that had the guy running through backyards, trying to duck into open homes or sheds to hide.

I've never had a successful break-in, but I've caught people in my yard before. Once while I was at home shortly after sunset my neighbor across the street came and told me that he had just seen two people come sprinting out of my backyard. No idea what they were doing there, but I wouldn't have known there was someone trying to break in until they made it inside. When I was a kid we also had my deceased grandparents' car stolen out of the driveway overnight.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Most people don't turn into an anxious wreck because of an unlocked door.

She didn’t turn into an “anxious wreck,” because the doors were unlocked; she became frustrated because people were making fun of her incessantly about wanting to do a normal thing that would help make her feel safe. Also lol at this thread where only women’s feelings are described baselessly as being a “wreck” and “screaming and screeching” and “ill.” Maybe just cut to the chase and say women have hysteria.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Straight White Shark posted:

you know, society generally doesn't do a very good job of taking care of the mentally ill so I'm glad that we collectively decided to fit every building with locks to accommodate the minority insane enough to want or use them :angel:

Some doors even have TWO locks. The accessibility movement is progressing wonderfully.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was really anxious when I was staying in family in Kiev because all the apartments there have locks with a key hole on both sides. Like there's no manual deadbolt on the inside of your apartment door, if you don't have the key you're locked IN. I work in fire safety and this felt like such a loving death-trap design. We were prisoners in the unit unless you asked Aunt to be let out as she had the only key.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this is not actually a tough one at all. you don't volunteer someone else to cut their hair that they've been growing for years

Eh, I was taking it in a vacuum, trying to figure out how the OP might feel independently of getting volunteered. In the context of the facts, she’s totally justified in saying no regardless of how much is getting chopped off.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
AITAH my 3 month old baby died and I told my in-laws to F**k off(

quote:

This is the first time I have ever posted, but I am an avid fan of Reddit. My 3 month old baby girl died suddenly (crib death) 2 weeks ago. My husband and I are in a fog. Our first child. While our friends and my family (parents, cousins, siblings, their partners, etc) have been phenomenal, my husband’s family has been a nightmare. Everyone around us has given us space but while making sure our toilet is clean, try to get us to eat/sleep. There have been people with us around the clock in a quiet, non invasive and respectful way. Except... my in laws. My MIL has taken every opportunity to show her grief very dramatically and imo, for show. My husband’s 2 sisters have allowed their children (4 in total- all under 7) to run around, yell and distract. My BIL and FIL have been useless. My family and I are of SE Asian decent, and my husband is white. He has supported the choice to follow Buddhist traditions (alter, incense, 3 day mourning, cremation, monk chanting). My sister and brother explained all aspects of the traditions to my in-laws and asked that they please not wear black or red- white is preferred. That is all which was asked of them. Basically, none wore white, my MIL wore black with a red silk blouse, they all complained about the incense, chanting etc. finally, I caught my sister in law rolling her eyes with some of my husband’s family members while my parents were adding flowers, fruits to our daughter’s alter while monk was chanting. After nearly a week of this behavior, my siblings had enough and asked them to stop behaving so disrespectfully. My MIL started yelling at them and then sobbing. At the moment, my husband was in another room. I lost it. I ran over to them all, screamed at them to F* off and to get out of my house. I understand they are grieving, but they made the most horrible event in our lives even worse. Despite the fact I want to stop breathing and can’t leave the house, I am actually worried that I did an awful thing. My husband is not mad, my family and friends support me but my in-laws are furious at me. Did I cross a line? Thank you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Baronjutter posted:

I was really anxious when I was staying in family in Kiev because all the apartments there have locks with a key hole on both sides. Like there's no manual deadbolt on the inside of your apartment door, if you don't have the key you're locked IN. I work in fire safety and this felt like such a loving death-trap design. We were prisoners in the unit unless you asked Aunt to be let out as she had the only key.

Say what you will about the lack of regulations in our capitalist hellscape country, but I'm consistently surprised when I hear about buildings in developed countries (even the UK after Grenfell!) that would never be allowed here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

It's an illness.
no, I'm pretty sure it's normal to lock your doors

but also, even in rural white areas the norms have really changed the last ~15 years. My parents never locked the doors when I was growing up there. Never locked the car in the driveway, didn't lock the house at night or when they were out during the day, the garage didn't even have a lock.

But meth and opioids changed a lot. It's still a rural town where you know everybody, but while the burglary rates used to be super low, now there are neighbors who'll totally steal your poo poo to pawn for drugs.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ad090 posted:

AITA for locking the door at my in-laws house overnight?

I said yeah, very casually. He looked at me like I was crazy. I said I'm just not comfortable with leaving doors unlocked. Both of them laughed, and for the rest of the weekend, the jokes continued. Things like "Who hurt you?" and "What was so bad in your childhood that you can't deal with an unlocked door?" and "What do you think was going to happen, someone was going to break in? This isn't (Big City we live in)."

We ended up leaving early because my husband was tired of telling them to knock it off. A few days later, my MIL posted what was supposed to be a funny thing on FB and tagged me, saying "(My Name) and Husband visited, but DIL isn't cut out for that (town) life! She couldn't handle a few unlocked doors and thinks the whole world is out to get her!" cue the family making fun of me, my upbringing, etc.

I'd finally had enough and posted back: Home invasions happen. My best friend's dad was murdered in their home by an intruder when I was 12 years old. Forgive me for caring about my safety and infringing on whatever makes you feel superior here."
Yeah, considering what happened when they were twelve, I'm honestly surprised they didn't react more strongly than to leave a few days early after days of being mocked for something as simple as locking the door. And then making a comment on a facebook post mocking them even more. How is that an "anxious wreck" at all? Because it affected them in any way?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Cynic Jester posted:

AITAH my 3 month old baby died and I told my in-laws to F**k off(

Jesus christ. Don't let them back in.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo, badass OP

e: oh my god the comments, what the gently caress? I'm currently the literal only person to go NTA

We're gonna need a bigger guillotine

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

teen witch posted:

Put your gender down, flip it and reverse it.

Was it worth it
When she birthed it

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Just found out my (F 28) fiancé (M 30) inseminated his friend without my knowledge.

quote:

Long time fan of this sub, made a throwaway because me and my fiancé read this sub together. So basically I met my fiancé through a mutual friend I work with let’s call her Meghan. Meghan was not usually my type of person but I was just starting at a job and she was in a higher position than me so I felt pressured to accept when she’d ask to go out to drinks. Through her I met her male best friend since childhood let’s call him Peter and I instantly connected with him in a way I never did before.

We began dating and in the honeymoon phase all else seemed unimportant. Little did I know Meghan was getting very very upset with me this whole time as Peter was spending less time with her. It devolved into her being very rude to me at work and while she isn’t in a position that I report to she is still above me and was able to make my life harder wherever she could.

Peter still hung out with her rarely but would tell me it was just to keep her happy because she was emotionally unstable. I was always skeptical of his reasons but never assumed he was cheating because Meghan was not his type at all. He insisted it was because he didn’t want to be “on her suicide note” as the reasons she killed herself. Fast forward to today at work I haven’t seen Meghan around for a while. She comes up to me and mentions that her pregnancy has reached three months. I congratulated her but was confused because it seems like she thought that I knew she was trying for a baby when I actually did not even know that she was in a relationship. I honestly don’t know anything about her because it is such a sour topic with Peter that we never talk about her. She goes on to mention how nice it was of peter to donate for her insemination. And I start sweating and fidgeting. I kept my cool as well as I could and continued to have the usual conversation with her. Once she left I ran to the bathroom and threw up then ran to my car and cried. I felt so embarrassed and lovely so fast. Now I’m sitting in the driveway typing this and I don’t know if he’s inside. I honestly don’t know what I’d say to him I really hope this is just a sick joke. If he did this I don’t know if I could still be with him.

UPDATE: Just found out my F(28) fiancé M(30) inseminated his friend without my knowledge

quote:

Hey reddit thanks for all the messages and concerns sorry I couldn’t update last night but I was physically shaking and crying and I just didn’t have it in me.

So basically last night I went over to the apartment and Peter let me and my sister in. Immediately I could see that he was annoyed that I brought my sister. AND NOW I see why. It’s hard to admit for me but my relationship with peter has been sort of a sham. Through conversations with my sister I’ve come to the realization that I don’t value myself enough and don’t give myself what I deserve and this is most evident through Peter. Peter is a good looking guy with a good job and he’s always making people laugh when we go out but behind closed doors he’s self destructive mean and somewhat abusive. I realized this only by telling my sister about things that I thought were normal (e.g. he often slaps my hand or my head fairly hard when he’s frustrated about me doing something wrong) From the outside he seems perfect and I have always only cared about that but it’s not worth it to have a husband everyone loves if he’s so loving mean to me. I honestly don’t care to go into detail but we talked for hours and hours and I don’t remember much but the takeaway was he cheated on me 4 times a couple months ago while I was dealing with the passing of my mom. It hurt really loving bad and while we were talking I kind of just slowly fell into silence while my sister and him argued back and forth. There was not artificial insemination he just had sex with her and when she told him she was pregnant he said he “didn’t think she was serious” but I think that’s a lie. I feel so sick and disgusting and I’ve never felt less confident in my life. I need to stop letting people live my life for me. I’m typing this from my sisters house and I’ve DECIDED this is where I’m gonna stay until my lease is up and then I’m going to go get my things from my apartment.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Leon Einstein posted:

He watches Fox News and OAN all day; no poo poo. OAN is the most blatant propaganda I've ever seen, and the fact that he doesn't seem to realize it makes me sad for his brain.

a real OANNist

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo that update.

Sever.

Kill.

Destroy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I too worship Oannes.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Beachcomber posted:

AITA for purposely ruining my brother’s painting

The best part about the replies is all the people who assume there a multitude of legitimate and worthwhile reasons to paint flattering pictures of Hitler. Including:

-It's for a school play.
-Maybe he just wanted to paint Hitler. I paint murder and stuff sometimes!
-The History department asked him to do it.
-Maybe it was part of a larger project that wasn't glorifying Hitler.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

cumshitter posted:

The best part about the replies is all the people who assume there a multitude of legitimate and worthwhile reasons to paint flattering pictures of Hitler. Including:

-It's for a school play.

Reddit: where there are only two genders, but there are like seven kinds of pedophile Hitler Lovers

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

My[23F] boyfriend [23M] pranked me today and I need to know if I'm over reacting.

quote:

Throwaway because he knows my main.

My boyfriend was having a slow day at work today, so he used his work phone (a number I don't recognise) to prank call me.

Back story to this prank. I'm having some health issues lately and recently got a referral to a hospital to have surgery, however I'm waiting on the hospital to review my scans to determine if it's urgent or not. It's been a little over a week now and I was told that I'll most likely receive a letter, but I would get a call if it was urgent and was being bumped up on the waiting list.

Back to today, I get a phone call from this number and I answer it. The person from the other end (in a deep voice) says "Hi [name], this is [name] from [hospital]." To which I responded, "Oh, hello." Then the person on the other end bursts out laughing. Me, thinking it's a medical professional, I have a few split seconds of concern and "what the gently caress" before it registers and my boyfriends says, "it's me". I didn't respond, and he repeated "it's me," again.

Guys, I was loving PISSED. He's usually such a sweet guy, and this was a really horrible prank to play.

In his corner, I never told him that the hospital would only call me if it was urgent.

In my corner, it's so, SO frustrating having to wait and see what's going on with my body and he knows it.

He's since apologised, I told him that I felt embarrassed and frustrated. I haven't asked if his colleagues knew about the prank or knew the backstory behind it, because I'm too scared to find out the answer. I get it, he thought he was being harmless, but I'm upset but I'm unsure if this is an over reaction or not.

TL,DR: Boyfriend played a prank on me and called up pretending to be a doctor. I'm upset. Not sure if I should be upset.

:sever: partially because people who prank are terrible but mostly because that is a scrub tier prank.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Lol wtf city do you live in? In seattle if you don't lock your car door you'll get people sleeping in it

Cleveland. I've accidentally gone to work with my door wide open to no ill effect.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

cumshitter posted:

-It's for a school play.

The Greatest Generation killed Nazis. Looks like we need to follow their example.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cleveland. I've accidentally gone to work with my door wide open to no ill effect.

checks out, there's nothing in Cleveland worth stealing (unless you were hoarding bus tickets to other places)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's an illness.

lol no, locking the front door at night is not a mental illness, nor is it like locking your car doors when you see a black person

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

My boyfriend failed another class

quote:

My boyfriend (21M) of two years and I (22F) are both in college. Well kind of. I graduate next week. Anyway, I’m currently attempting to move on to a masters program so I can eventually have a sick job and make bank. My boyfriend is so far away from graduation it’s scary.

In the semester we first started dating he failed I believe three classes. I assumed it was because our relationship was new and exciting and we had distracted each other. My grades had slipped too after all. The following semester he failed another class and was put on first level academic probation. His GPA at this point was probably about a 1.5.

The following semester he didn’t technically fail anything, but the majority of his classes were physical education and anything that wasn’t was a class that he’d already taken and failed, but got a C in this time around.

His past two semester including this one he has failed at least one class. His major is business, and he has failed intro to business twice now. It’s not as if he has a difficult time learning the subjects either. He’s just simply not doing the assignments. Every time he fails a class he tells me he didn’t do the assignments, tells me an excuse why he didn’t, and blames the professor for his grade.

I should also mention that this education is 100% free. His parents are paying his tuition, rent, groceries, car, etc. He even gets spending money. He doesn’t have to work at all but he’s still struggling. I know for a fact he has ADHD and depression and for a while he was being treated for both and he seemed like he was doing better. But now he won’t take the medication and refuses to hear anyone out about it.

I don’t know what to do. I have a full time job and am ready to rent a small house and possibly get engaged. I can easily see myself doing these things with him. He is the love of my life. An absolutely wonderful man. But I can’t trust him with any form of money at all.

Last week I gave him my card to pick up some tampons before work. He told me he was going to put gas in my car because I’m very low. I told him to wait until the next day when I got paid. He did it anyway. It was only five dollars, but I only had $40 in my account, and I specifically told him not to. We had a fight, he apologized. The next day I got paid and he still had my card as I hadn’t asked for it back yet. He told me he was going to put gas in, I said please only do $20 worth, as I hadn’t transferred my paycheck yet. He put $27 and overdrafted my account. Another apology. Both felt very “I’m only saying sorry to shut her up.”

I literally cannot trust him with my card. I feel like he has no respect for me or my hard earned money. I think he feels like just because I can ask my parents for money and they’ll give it to me, I should be more willing to spend my money. I hate asking my parents for money. Absolutely despise it. I would much rather be independent. I spent $200 on him on his birthday with my own money. He has yet to get me a present, though he continues to say he’s going to do it. My birthday was in December. His was the beginning of April. I constantly feel disrespected and as though I am mothering him.

Obviously I’ve only written about our issues here, but I can assure you his good outweighs the bad. I just don’t know how to deal with waiting for him to grow up. I’m extremely frustrated. I feel like he’s never gonna graduate, never gonna get a job, and just end up living off his inheritance. I’m at a loss for how to deal with this. How can I help him grow and learn? I want him to start getting medication for his depression, he already sees a therapist. How can I support him without condoning his irresponsible behavior?

Tl;dr my boyfriend is irresponsible but I wanna marry him anyway send help

He is not the only one that needs therapy.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

quote:

My boyfriend (21M) of two years and I (22F) are both in college. Well kind of. I graduate next week. Anyway, I’m currently attempting to move on to a masters program so I can eventually have a sick job and make bank.

lol if only

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Uh... locking your front door seems like the most basic, normal thing to do when you live somewhere that has "a front door".
All the more so if you live in the US where almost anyone can just go out and buy a gun.
Maybe if I lived in the sticks where your next door neighbor is a mile away, I could see it being totally benign to leave the doors unlocked, but even then... what world do you think you live in?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Sunswipe posted:

The short stories are good, the novels... not so much. YMMV.

With the exception of the Hound of the Baskervilles, I agree. Some of the short stories are clearly just "I would like to get paid let's crap something out," but at least they're short. Anytime Holmes has an interaction with anything American it's pretty loving hilarious though.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bronze Fonz posted:

Uh... locking your front door seems like the most basic, normal thing to do when you live somewhere that has "a front door".
All the more so if you live in the US where almost anyone can just go out and buy a gun.
Maybe if I lived in the sticks where your next door neighbor is a mile away, I could see it being totally benign to leave the doors unlocked, but even then... what world do you think you live in?

Contrarians and spaghetti brains always have to make what should be basic common knowledge something that is contentious, -ist, or whatever the hell they can mentally backflip it into. Personally, I watch and listen to too much true crime poo poo for not locking my poo poo up to be an option. I bet you most of the people arguing this still lock their cars if they drive to their work.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Just gonna put this here.

Me [34M] with my co-worker [50s M] will not stop staring at my crotch.... Seriously.

quote:

I know this sounds odd and I don't know where else to post this, but I need to get advice or vent.

I work for a small mom and pop company, no HR, no real structure, as such I'm able to wear whatever I want, pretty much.

In the past several months, especially over winter I've noticed something very odd and bizarre. My homophobic, racist southern co-worker has been obviously and in my opinion, obsessively staring at my crotch and bulge. I had to stop wearing grey sweat pants and look for longer shirts that cover up my crotch area.

I know, it sounds comical, but I honestly feel so violated and I want to say harassed. He will make excuses to come in my office, literally stand behind my chair and watch what I'm doing on my monitor. My coworker (female) has mentioned she's seen him in the window in my office, but behind me, looking through it and watch my screen. Since this I've put on a black wallpaper so I can see him through the reflection.

Since we have no HR, I really have no idea what to do. When I called him out on his just a moment ago, he claims he was looking at a product behind me, but we made eye contact when I looked up. Me, sitting there in the breakroom table, him across the office just glaring at me. As I loving type this right now, I see his reflection behind me.

I'm sorry if this does not belong here, but what he hell can I do? I'm currently seeking a new job, this reason being icing on the cake. I don't want to change what I wear and sacrifice my comfort to avoid a homophobic getting his jollies off.

Please reddit, I'm about to go insane. I joke with my gf (who has a very flattering figure and often has cleavage out) that I know how you feel when we go out. I'm going to lose it.

tl;dr my homophobic co worker will not stop looking at my crotch or creeping on me and we have no company structure or HR to turn to.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuarkJets posted:

lol no, locking the front door at night is not a mental illness, nor is it like locking your car doors when you see a black person

Little known fact: having no racist fear of Black people, Black people don’t look their doors! The more you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

not locking your door is just an unnecessary risk, it takes like one second to unlock it

what the gently caress is going on lol