Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Y’all actin like you don’t test 9v batteries by licking them

18 years ago, I would check to make sure my 320i's distributor was giving spark by taking a spark plug boot off of a spark plug and holding a butter knife inside the boot, then cranking the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

What, do you have a pacemaker or something? It works fine and wakes you right up.

You can always keep the plug in the boot, ground it against the engine case, and crank it over and watch for the spark if you're some kind of girly-man. :rolleyes:

e: if you do this, particularly on a carbureted bike, keep the plug away from the hole while cranking. gasoline vapors can ignite both inside and outside the engine

Literally set my first bike on fire this way.

MomJeans420 posted:

I need a new chain and sprocket, OEM is 525 chain and steel sprockets, but it looks like I have more options and it's a bit cheaper to get a 520 complete set. Is there really a difference in modern chains by going with 520 over 525? And I'm assuming I'm fine staying with steel rather than aluminum? I already have way more power than I need, so I'd rather have longevity over some tiny performance boost, unless it's dumb to stick with steel now. I don't want any crazy color so black sprocket and natural chain is fine with me.

520 is strong enough for multiple sessions on a motoGP bike, you'll be fine. Most suppliers do a conversation kit that comes with the correct sprockets etc. Nobody needs alloy sprockets, not even race bikes run alloy sprockets cause it's a good way to not finish races.

Slide Hammer posted:

18 years ago, I would check to make sure my 320i's distributor was giving spark by taking a spark plug boot off of a spark plug and holding a butter knife inside the boot, then cranking the engine.

Literally me but a 635csi and 1/4" extension.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

520 is strong enough for multiple sessions on a motoGP bike, you'll be fine. Most suppliers do a conversation kit that comes with the correct sprockets etc. Nobody needs alloy sprockets, not even race bikes run alloy sprockets cause it's a good way to not finish races.
excuse me, please never speak to me or my $120 zirconium sprocket again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

excuse me, please never speak to me or my $120 zirconium sprocket again

What in the actual gently caress is this? I'm serious I've never seen that before.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

What in the actual gently caress is this? I'm serious I've never seen that before.

Useless bling?

https://dirttricks.com/product-category/sprockets/se-rear-sprockets/

I mean, I’m sure their claims about weight and life are true, but it ain’t the sprocket that’s slowing you (me, anyway) down.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The real weight saving hack is to remove the front end and just wheelie everywhere

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

Useless bling?

https://dirttricks.com/product-category/sprockets/se-rear-sprockets/

I mean, I’m sure their claims about weight and life are true, but it ain’t the sprocket that’s slowing you (me, anyway) down.

This is like those sperm shaped pushbike helmets isn't it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Renaissance Robot posted:

The real weight saving hack is to remove the front end and just wheelie everywhere

Anything before skipping beer and pizza and going to the gym is worth it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Anything before skipping beer and pizza and going to the gym is worth it.

Hello, zirconium sprocket-having friend.

Slavvy posted:

This is like those sperm shaped pushbike helmets isn't it.

Basically? Supposedly they're longer lasting than regular sprockets and lighter but do you need to save two ounces of unsprung rear weight vs. losing five ten thirty lbs by skipping beer and pizza and going to the gym?

But, as someone who spent $20 on red billet anodized oil plugs (separate clutch + engine) for my beta, I can't judge anyone who wants to spend the extra money to have a magical rainbow sprocket.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have an aluminum sprocket on my rv90 and it’s stood up just fine against all 8 of its horsepower :colbert:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks for the sprocket and chain advice, steel and cheap it is! Now to consider going down a tooth on the front sprocket, never really thought of it before but a bunch of guys on my bike forum like it if you spend a lot of time riding around town on your bike. I have TuneEcu and if I could find the drat cable I can change the spedometer in the ECU so it reads correctly, but may be more effort than it's worth

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks for the sprocket and chain advice, steel and cheap it is! Now to consider going down a tooth on the front sprocket, never really thought of it before but a bunch of guys on my bike forum like it if you spend a lot of time riding around town on your bike. I have TuneEcu and if I could find the drat cable I can change the spedometer in the ECU so it reads correctly, but may be more effort than it's worth

Chains: don't cheap out on the chain itself, yet a DID or similar with o-rings and a rivet link. An extra $80 now is like an extra 10,000km later, provided you take care of it.

-1 front sprocket: won't hurt anything, will make the bike nippier, works best on bikes where the torque staircase has been smoothed out which for you should be super easy when you find that cable.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yall hate clip links yet mine has held up on the drz through lots of offroad and highway riding, also WOT pinned for miles at a time in sand

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ain't a drat thing wrong with clip master links. Never had one fail, nor known a person who's had one fail.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ain't a drat thing wrong with clip master links. Never had one fail, nor known a person who's had one fail.

Mine failed, but I don't know why. Cost me a lot to get the bike home without a breakdown deal. Thank you for reading this important anecdote.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bigger, more powerful the bike, the more they fail. Which is not to say they play up 'often' but I've seen it happen several times, whereas rivet links are foolproof. When the difference between occasional failure and never ever is like $5, the only question is whether you can be bothered getting a chain riveter or not.

My hyosung had one where the clip fell off and the link stayed together no problems for like six months but I don't see that working on a bike with 120hp.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How do y'alls be getting the old chain off? Angle grinder on a couple of rivet heads?

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

How do y'alls be getting the old chain off? Angle grinder on a couple of rivet heads?

I just cut straight through the chain with an angle grinder. Takes about 5 seconds.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Undo the clip :laugh:

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

For those without the power tools, the chain tools usually have an insert you can use to press a chain pin out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it's chain and sprockets I do this:

helstein posted:

I just cut straight through the chain with an angle grinder. Takes about 5 seconds.

If it's just a chain use this:

Infinotize posted:

For those without the power tools, the chain tools usually have an insert you can use to press a chain pin out.

Because then you can hook the new chain onto the old and pull it through the front sprocket.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I blew two clip master links in three months, both at 80mph on the highway. I had to install another clip link to repair the second break roadside. When I went to a dealership to have it riveted the clip was loving gone, maybe 200 miles after install. I will trust nothing but rivet links ever again tyvm

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
All those who lost clip masters, are you sure the clip was really really on? It's not uncommon from what I've seen for new clip masters to have plates which are just tight enough on the pins that they need to be pressed on with a tool to get them far enough on for the clip grooves to show on the outside. But if you squeeze them on with hand/pliers it looks like they're on, like you can kinda see the grooves. If the grooves are just barely hidden in the plate it's possible to put the clip on in such a way that it feels like it's clipped on but it's not in the groove so it's not really holding everything together. I think the open end of the clip would be not quite closing to touch each end together when installed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What would I use to attack one of these?

Square end sprocket nut. There's a tiny bit of hex on it, but would a socket be able to grab it? :iiam:

Obviously a big ol' spanner could get it off, but how am I supposed to get the torque right when putting it back on?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

All those who lost clip masters, are you sure the clip was really really on? It's not uncommon from what I've seen for new clip masters to have plates which are just tight enough on the pins that they need to be pressed on with a tool to get them far enough on for the clip grooves to show on the outside. But if you squeeze them on with hand/pliers it looks like they're on, like you can kinda see the grooves. If the grooves are just barely hidden in the plate it's possible to put the clip on in such a way that it feels like it's clipped on but it's not in the groove so it's not really holding everything together. I think the open end of the clip would be not quite closing to touch each end together when installed.

I've seen them fall off in a variety of scenarios but horsepower and improper chain tension seem to be the biggest factors. I did have one guy with a vtr250 that kept chucking them who refused to fork out for the more expensive rivet link chain. I tried 'preloading' the clip by only pressing the link just enough to make it a snug fit in the channels, I also tried pressing it so the clip was able to rattle freely. For the third attempt I put on a bit of safety wire solved the problem.

Seems like a lot of hassle and ambiguity when you can just get a rivet link and not think about it :shrug:

What would I use to attack one of these?

Square end sprocket nut. There's a tiny bit of hex on it, but would a socket be able to grab it? :iiam:

Obviously a big ol' spanner could get it off, but how am I supposed to get the torque right when putting it back on?

Can you take a picture of it on the bike? In all likelihood you don't have to torque that, by which I mean you don't have to torque 90% of the bolts on the bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Not mine, but here's a pic of the same component on a versys:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh lol. Just use a normal deep socket. If you lack air tools, use those for both removal and installation. I'd suggest getting an assistant to help you; put a long extension on the socket, put a power bar on the extension, put a pipe or something on the power bar to make it six feet long.

Get an axle stand or pile up some bricks or wood or something next to the bike so the end of the extension has something to rest on, that way when you're heaving on it you don't have to worry about also keeping it engaged on the nut. Get your assistant to sit on the bike, put it in first gear and absolutely HAMMER the rear brake on while you heave.

You'll be amazed how ineffective the brake is at holding back your six foot bar, try to use the fattest friend you have.

Don't worry about torquing it to put it back on, just give it the absolute berries and you'll be fine. The rear wheel will spin against the brake before you can possibly over tighten it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have more sprocket questions because I'm probably definitely going to need to swap them out this summer.

Does the rear wheel need to be rebalanced when a new sprocket goes on? Should I use threadlocker on the sprocket nuts?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have more sprocket questions because I'm probably definitely going to need to swap them out this summer.

Does the rear wheel need to be rebalanced when a new sprocket goes on? Should I use threadlocker on the sprocket nuts?

1. Nope, because the hub isn't fastened to the wheel, it's just floating on rubber pads.
2. No, nut lock plates are more common.

The definitive answer should be in your maintenance manual since it's a regular wear item.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Why would the cooling fans to my '01 DRZ400 not be turning on? I mean, I'm going to find out later this week, it just kind of occurred to me today that I haven't heard them come on in like, a WHILE. gently caress.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Check fuses?

Has it been overheating?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Has it gotten hot enough to need to come on? Mine didn’t run all that much

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

To elaborate on what's been said: if the sprocket nuts are locking nuts you don't need to do anything. You can tell they're locking nuts because they'll have a funny looking 'out' face and won't thread on by hand.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Revvik posted:

Why would the cooling fans to my '01 DRZ400 not be turning on? I mean, I'm going to find out later this week, it just kind of occurred to me today that I haven't heard them come on in like, a WHILE. gently caress.

Mine doesn't even have a fan, I had to look up if this was even a thing.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Has it gotten hot enough to need to come on? Mine didn’t run all that much

I had it running in my garage, getting really hot, with no air flow, to check some stuff. No fans came on. Coolant is full and healthy though, and I ran it through the desert last year like this. No lights are coming on.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
So a friend of mine is working on a basketcase KZ400 that she is trying to salvage from being a total loss. Something grenaded the previous engine, and the current state of the bike is thus:

Engine is a '76 KZ400 engine, appears to be in good working order, but we have not yet fired it up

Electricals are all from a '78 KZ400.

This is problematic because from 76 to 78 Kawasaki switched from an excited field alternator to a magneto, so the regulator/rectifier units are basically totally incompatible, as far as I can tell. She is sick to death of the project and just wants to get it to a state where the engine can start, and then to sell it.

There exist some aftermarket newly-manufactured regulator/rectifier combo units specifically for 76 KZ400s, but it's a small shop type of company and they want 120 dollars for them, which seems pretty unreasonable to me for a 300 watt regrec or whatever.

Here's the actual question: It's been a few years since I actually did EE101, but a rec/reg circuit isn't particularly complicated, I'm seeing a ton of cheap Chinese rectifier/regulator units on amazon and ali express that are marketed as being essentially universal. I can't think of a reason that this shouldn't be a legitimate claim since alternator outputs for a lot of bikes do tend to be 3 phase 70 vac. However, the amount of current that the regulator would need to push to the field coil seems like it would be dependent on the number of windings, plus voltage across the field coil would probably depend on the coil resistance. How universal are these specs? From what I've seen on specs for different motorcycle alternators, it doesn't seem like these numbers vary by a huge amount, so my thinking is that one of the universal regulators would be fine. On the other hand, I would rather not suggest something and then have her ignition coil catch on fire or something.

Thoughts?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Don't 70s KZ400s go for like $6000? $120 doesn't seem like that much if it's all that's standing between you and a running bike.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Uhh do they?

She got this one for 2400 and it was more or less running. It was cafe-d out and the chrome is pretty bad, so maybe that's the low price? 6k seems kind of implausible to me for a 70ies UJM though, unless it's in like absolutely pristine condition or professionally restomodded though.

Marzipan Pig
May 5, 2019

God, I'm tired
I managed to eat dirt on a slow corner in the corner. Handlebars are absolutely hosed but everything started up ok and I hopped on and got home. Think I sprained my wrist because I stupidly put my arm out like I was going to catch myself.

Now Im home what should I check my bike for? How do I know if everything's ok still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sure the bars are bent and not just the forks twisted in the triples? Otherwise just give it the usual visual inspection tomorrow to see what got damaged.

Basically do a close tclocs and any mission critical breaks will show up. http://frederickhog.org/tips/tclock.htm

Take care if yourself now, and check for damages later when you are more clear headed.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 9, 2019