Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Your player is right.

quote:

Agile Parry. If you make an unarmed strike as part of the Attack action on your turn and are holding a kensei weapon, you can use it to defend yourself if it is a melee weapon. You gain a +2 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn, while the weapon is in your hand and you aren’t incapacitated.

So 3 things need to happen for that AC bonus, they have to make an Unarmed Strike as part of the Attack action on their turn while holding a kensei weapon, they must continue holding said weapon as it goes away if at any point they aren't holding it anymore, and they must not be Incapacitated for if they become Incapacitated during that time they will lose that AC bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

Ryuujin posted:

Your player is right.

Goddamn this game is a loving mess sometimes

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

Goddamn this game is a loving mess sometimes

lmao I'm dead at that. I thought the shield mastery order of operations was awful.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Like why even add in needing to do an unarmed strike requirement other than the fact that Monks are gonna be doing it 99% of the time if able anyway? Just give the bastards a +2 while holding a Kensei weapon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
That honestly does not seem very complex, It's pretty much just you get +2 AC if you have a Melee Kensei weapon after your unarmed strike. And then there are two ways to disable it.

The Shame Boy posted:

Like why even add in needing to do an unarmed strike requirement other than the fact that Monks are gonna be doing it 99% of the time if able anyway? Just give the bastards a +2 while holding a Kensei weapon.

To keep them in Melee I would imagine. As that is the melee focused build.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

The Shame Boy posted:

I suspect it's because the Monk's usual damage die before level 11 is 2d8+1d6 (avg 12.5) while Kensei can put out 2d10+1d6 (avg 14.5), but if they sub in one of their weapon attacks for unarmed it's back down to 1d10+2d6 (avg 12.5) again. Likely, they thought themselves pretty clever "they can choose to do slightly more damage, or do the same damage as other monk types but with better AC" while completely ignoring that magic weapons exist, or how inane it all is even if they didn't.

Kensei is very poorly designed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Kensai seems way more complicated than it should be IMO.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Ryuujin posted:

Your player is right.

So 3 things need to happen for that AC bonus, they have to make an Unarmed Strike as part of the Attack action on their turn while holding a kensei weapon, they must continue holding said weapon as it goes away if at any point they aren't holding it anymore, and they must not be Incapacitated for if they become Incapacitated during that time they will lose that AC bonus.

Ugh, I just read this right for the first time. Kensei seems way lamer now.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Baller Ina posted:

Ugh, I just read this right for the first time. Kensei seems way lamer now.

Kensai is a strong option anways? doesn't seem much of a issue imo

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
It's also incredibly confusing for new players as it won't turn on from your BA Martial Arts or Flurry of Blows.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does that include unarmed attacks from Martial Arts or not since a bonus action isn't part of the Attack Action?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

kingcom posted:

lmao I'm dead at that. I thought the shield mastery order of operations was awful.

Don't get me started. I have players that insist that because a bonus action says that I can be taken at any time during your turn that you can interrupt an attack action with a bonus action in the middle so you can get "attack shove attack" for advantage on the second attack with the Shield Master feat.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Don't get me started. I have players that insist that because a bonus action says that I can be taken at any time during your turn that you can interrupt an attack action with a bonus action in the middle so you can get "attack shove attack" for advantage on the second attack with the Shield Master feat.

You get to do stuff between extra attacks, don't you?

E: never mind, it's only movement, right?

Vvvvv beaten :argh:

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 2, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

You get to do stuff between extra attacks, don't you?

Only move, normally.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

I suspect it's because the Monk's usual damage die before level 11 is 2d8+1d6 (avg 12.5) while Kensei can put out 2d10+1d6 (avg 14.5), but if they sub in one of their weapon attacks for unarmed it's back down to 1d10+2d6 (avg 12.5) again. Likely, they thought themselves pretty clever "they can choose to do slightly more damage, or do the same damage as other monk types but with better AC" while completely ignoring that magic weapons exist, or how inane it all is even if they didn't.

Kensei is very poorly designed.

I don't know why it isn't just an unarmed attack during your turn so your bonus action hit can trigger it. You'd still miss turning it on in some cases, like when you Patient Defense or something.

Kensei felt like it was the "better numbers but less creative" monk spec but this seems a little against that. Also hitting level 3 and then actually going down in damage is a bummer(don't tell me you wouldn't turn on the AC 100% of the time).

Related to this I love how clunky the writing for Sun Soul's ranged attack is. It be can be your Flurry of Blows- sometimes! It can sub in for normal attacks but not your bonus attack! Exceptions, ho!

Baller Ina fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 2, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Monk is such a mess. Just let kensei get the +2 AC if they’re holding the right weapon and aren’t incapacitated. If you want them to be designed as scrappers who can stay in melee, encourage that without needless qualifiers.

The only homebrew content I ever made was a strength-based monk for one of my players who is practices Kyokushin karate. It was a lot of fun stripping out the bullshit in the class and making an unarmed archetype that meets force with force and can take on multiple foes at once. I should probably post it to get torn apart valuable feedback.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

Monk is such a mess. Just let kensei get the +2 AC if they’re holding the right weapon and aren’t incapacitated. If you want them to be designed as scrappers who can stay in melee, encourage that without needless qualifiers.

The only homebrew content I ever made was a strength-based monk for one of my players who is practices Kyokushin karate. It was a lot of fun stripping out the bullshit in the class and making an unarmed archetype that meets force with force and can take on multiple foes at once. I should probably post it to get torn apart valuable feedback.

Every monk is STR based

BELT META 4 LYFE

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mango sentinel posted:

Does that include unarmed attacks from Martial Arts or not since a bonus action isn't part of the Attack Action?

Only the Attack Action.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok I did not notice the attack action part, yeah that is pretty stupid. Any reasonable GM should just say during your turn.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Problem with that is reasonable DMs are less common than the DMs that deify the game designers and their crappy decisions ime

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah, for those of you who DM, how closely do you stick to the book? I stumbled across a long debate over canon and lore in D&D, and I was like, do those guys not realize you can do whatever you want

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I tend to stick to rules as written with a few exceptions. When it comes to lore I use text as a framework rather than a law

Main house rule we have is critical hits deal maximum damage and you roll your damage again on top of that. So a critical hit with a longsword and 12 strength would be 8 (max damage on longsword die) +1 (strength mod) + 1d8+1

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 2, 2019

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

I am writing a campaign at the moment and do not care one lick about the lore except for where cities are. I'm slamming 3.5 monk temples into the world and no one can stop me.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

ProfessorCirno posted:

The basic problem is that there's very little connection or synergy (sorry) between arcane trickster and bard, and lots of overlap. You're mostly just throwing away 4 levels there, and that's a lot.

"But Cirno I want to be an arcane trickster but with good charisma instead of intelligence!"

Too bad, 5e doesn't really support it. Change characters or move on.

In the same vein as "I can do whatever I want."

So... doctor 7, if this is a home game and your DM is a chill dude. Ask them if you can use CHA for the 4 AT levels stuff instead of INT.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arthil posted:

So... doctor 7, if this is a home game and your DM is a chill dude. Ask them if you can use CHA for the 4 AT levels stuff instead of INT.

There's plenty of Arcane Trickster stuff that isn't reliant on good stats in the first place, I would just accept that multiclassing is often MAD and that's the price you pay for diversification.

Mage Hand, Booming Blade, and Minor Illusion are some of the best cantrips and you could have 8 INT and it wouldn't matter. Find Familiar is always a solid pick, and Silent Image / Disguise Self only trigger checks against suspicious individuals who each have to use their Action to see through them - there's plenty of utility there even if you don't expect to succeed on those checks.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 2, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'll reiterate that if your goal is stealth magic shenanigans, Sorcerer is your best friend.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

change my name posted:

Yeah, for those of you who DM, how closely do you stick to the book? I stumbled across a long debate over canon and lore in D&D, and I was like, do those guys not realize you can do whatever you want

In our campaign, our DM frequently says "yea but that's dumb, so let's just do it this way which makes more sense" and we do the sensible thing instead of the rules as written. If anyone in our group was silly enough to want to play a monk and even sillier to want to play a Kensai, I'm sure that rule would be changed to "Get +2 AC while wielding a Kensai weapon" and that would be that.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

Is there any way to make wielding a one-hander without a shield not just a strict downgrade? It's a flavor look I really want to try, for some reason. Obviously monk is a way to go but I'm curious if there's other ideas.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Baller Ina posted:

Is there any way to make wielding a one-hander without a shield not just a strict downgrade? It's a flavor look I really want to try, for some reason. Obviously monk is a way to go but I'm curious if there's other ideas.

Defensive duelist (add your proficiency to your AC against melee attacks if you're wielding a one-handed weapon only), combined with a dueling-styled fighter/ranger?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Arthil posted:

He would be fine with it for sure, yeah.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Guarantee having a monk with +2 AC just for holding a weapon is clearly disgustingly overpowered. Also, I completely agree that letting people use [size] would be abused and I should not be given that kind of power.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Guarantee having a monk with +2 AC just for holding a weapon is clearly disgustingly overpowered. Also, I completely agree that letting people use [size] would be abused and I should not be given that kind of power.
Someone can just hold a shield for +2 AC, and Monks are forbidden from using (most) 2-handed weapons and from using shields already. Do Monks just deserve lower AC than other Martials?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also 10% damage reduction pretty much can't be 'disgustingly' overpowered.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Guarantee having a monk with +2 AC just for holding a weapon is clearly disgustingly overpowered.

This is your brain on 5e.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Baller Ina posted:

Though they use one-handed weapons, optimally Monks wield them with 2 hands (versatile d8, or versatile d10 in Kensei's case) until level 11/17.

Archetypes that do 1h without a shield:
Bladesinger Wizard (but what they'll actually want to wield is a conjured Shadow Blade)
Booming Blade Rogue (either Arcane Trickster or through Magic Initiate/Elf)
College of Swords Bard (but they really aren't any good at melee anyway)

That's it.

ED: you can make a case for grapple builds (Barbarian/Barbarogue/Bard too I guess?) foregoing a shield, but it's a very niche case.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 3, 2019

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's bullshit that there's no feat for gaining shield proficiency.

Wait no "moderately armoured" does that.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 3, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It's bullshit that there's no feat for gaining shield proficiency.

Moderately Armored.

(It's bad, don't take it)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

^^^^^ Goddamn it.

Yeah, I know it's bad, that's why I forgot about it.

I was hoping to do a punching + shield monk but it's not worth it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I kind of wish those weapon feats were redone. The ones that gave bonus for using certain types of weapons, though I think it needed work. It would be a good way to differentiate weapons and make some of them worth using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of wish those weapon feats were redone. The ones that gave bonus for using certain types of weapons, though I think it needed work. It would be a good way to differentiate weapons and make some of them worth using.

The whole feat system is a hot mess to be honest and that category of 'weapon feat' stuff should just be something fighters get as a class feature to pick from which other classes can trade feats to get. Plus make weapon feats be something fighters can change out every level so they don't need to be worried about dumping some cool magic item if its for the wrong class of weapon.