Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

mdemone posted:

Damned if I can remember the details -- and I can't find the link at the moment because my brain is bad. But I'm pretty sure you've got the gist of it.

Oh. Well, that's not specific to Indonesia -its a problem wherever we're pumping groundwater near the ocean.
So, lots of places. ... Humans cause problems literally wherever we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oh. Well, that's not specific to Indonesia -its a problem wherever we're pumping groundwater near the ocean.
So, lots of places. ... Humans cause problems literally wherever we go.

South Florida is already seeing their water table invaded by saltwater. It seeps in rapidly through permeable limestone and is racing inland at a relatively rapid pace. It'll threaten long-term groundwater for millions of people.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

LeeMajors posted:

South Florida is already seeing their water table invaded by saltwater. It seeps in rapidly through permeable limestone and is racing inland at a relatively rapid pace. It'll threaten long-term groundwater for millions of people.

And the increased flow rate will likely cause more dissolution of the limestone, leading to more sinkholes! We'll see about that one in a few decades, I guess. If anyone is left there to be affected...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I was reading a book on structural failures, and one section regarded the theater that I believe was in Mexico. After construction, it sank into the spongy soil as its weight displaced water underneath. As a result, stairs had to be built to the entrance that now was below ground level. Amazingly, as the surrounding area was built up with large buildings, their mass likewise displaced water that subsequently raised the theater back up high enough that new stairs had to be constructed up from ground level to the higher entrance. Really, it is a testament to an extremely well-built foundation: had it been more poorly constructed the building would have cracked and possibly crumbled during its travels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LeeMajors posted:

Yep. Miami especially is hosed.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Edit: Wrong thread

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Cythereal posted:

Yep. Miami especially is hosed.

There's enough money in tourism and enough megarich fuckers down there to build desalination plants.

Poors are hosed though (this goes without saying, in every scenario, forever and ever).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I always get amused when I get reminded that red alert 2's attack dolphins weren't as far fetched as kid me thought.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

There's enough money in tourism and enough megarich fuckers down there to build desalination plants.

Poors are hosed though (this goes without saying, in every scenario, forever and ever).

Poors have been hosed in Miami for decades. Running a city that big with Florida laws is not a good thing.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

LeeMajors posted:

What's the point? The same saltwater is destabilizing the limestone and seeping right through the ground. The area will be unlivable within a few decades and no joke will need to be evacuated. It already has serious flooding every month when the lunar cycle causes increased tidal action. Over the next 40 years sea levels are expected to rise two feet - swamping every building in Miami that isn't on a pole. Right now their systemic plans amount to sea walls and pumps, with a hope that they can somehow rebuild the reefs and swamps in the face of climate change. There's no certainty that will be sufficient for the monthly flood events, much less the "storm of the century" that happens every couple years. The whole situation in Florida is untenable.

https://www.businessinsider.com/miami-floods-sea-level-rise-solutions-2018-4

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 1, 2019

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

FoolyCharged posted:

I always get amused when I get reminded that red alert 2's attack dolphins weren't as far fetched as kid me thought.

No krakens yet, but the secret agent whales are already in business. Kinda want to make James Bond titles for 'em.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 1, 2019

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

LordSloth posted:

No krakens yet, but the secret agent whales are already in business. Kinda want to make James Bond titles for 'em.

00 Shamu?
00 Keiko?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Florida continues to trigger the libs at the expense of the environment and our tourism dollars. I can't wait for this state to be Alabama 2.0.

https://twitter.com/10NewsWTSP/status/1123631601362063360

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ummel posted:

Florida continues to trigger the libs at the expense of the environment and our tourism dollars. I can't wait for this state to be Alabama 2.0.

North Florida is already Mississippi levels of awful, the big southern cities just prop the state up.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

ummel posted:

At this point they're just grasping at straws.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Spacewolf posted:

00 Shamu?
00 Keiko?

Instead of From Russia with Love (because it's too drat obvious) and Octopussy, the female minion will go by "Whale Tail".

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LordSloth posted:

Instead of From Russia with Love (because it's too drat obvious) and Octopussy, the female minion will go by "Whale Tail".

White Whale, Red Sparrow

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

And the increased flow rate will likely cause more dissolution of the limestone, leading to more sinkholes! We'll see about that one in a few decades, I guess. If anyone is left there to be affected...

Few people remember that this happened 6 years ago. poo poo has already begun. They never recovered the body due to how unstable that plot of land is. That sinkhole sunk even further since then.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

Few people remember that this happened 6 years ago. poo poo has already begun. They never recovered the body due to how unstable that plot of land is. That sinkhole sunk even further since then.

gently caress me, that may be the singular most-terrifying thing I've ever read :stonk:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Freakazoid_ posted:

This poo poo is horrible and my literal worst nightmare. At least in earthquakes everyone is suffering alongside you, you have people to commiserate with. This is just, "you specifically you. gently caress you here's a hole." Thus, west coast best coast.

The problem with pointing to specific events like this is that you can't connect it directly to climate change so people will just outright dismiss it. We can say, "if A then B, if B then C. If A increases, B increases. If B increases, C increases. We literally prove it experimentally," but again they just say, "I just don't think the effect is as strong as that."

No one will ever concede the point, not after years of explaining the science. I've talked to smart people for years, and the most I'll ever get them to say is, "Sure it'll probably happen, I just don't think the effects on people will be that bad."

... anyway, in world news about climate change to give content.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay....-via-tree-rings

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

gently caress me, that may be the singular most-terrifying thing I've ever read :stonk:

I mean don't offend Satan and he won't suddenly drag you into hell :shrug:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Its hard to blame Abrahms for not wanting to risk the GA Senate race, her power is in ascension despite her Gov loss, and another major defeat could shatter that. It would be too big a dice roll for me if I were in her shoes.

What pisses me off is the so winnable MT and TX Senate races. The fucks who would rather waste millions of dollars on doomed POTUS campaigns that they will finish 8th or worse in are infuriating. We need 4 and these fuckers are making the odds significantly longer for zero gain.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Beto involved obscene amounts of outside money and effort getting put into Texas though?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Sanguinia posted:

Its hard to blame Abrahms for not wanting to risk the GA Senate race, her power is in ascension despite her Gov loss, and another major defeat could shatter that. It would be too big a dice roll for me if I were in her shoes.

What pisses me off is the so winnable MT and TX Senate races. The fucks who would rather waste millions of dollars on doomed POTUS campaigns that they will finish 8th or worse in are infuriating. We need 4 and these fuckers are making the odds significantly longer for zero gain.

Is there anything stopping someone from running for president, dropping out in February/March when it’s clear they’re going nowhere, and then declaring they’re running for the Senate?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there anything stopping someone from running for president, dropping out in February/March when it’s clear they’re going nowhere, and then declaring they’re running for the Senate?

aside from filing deadlines, the fact that everyone else had months long head starts and they look like a complete coward going for the 'second place' option?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Marco Rubio did it last time around, for one.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sanguinia posted:

Nobody ever gives any fucks about winnable races in MT. It used to be easier for a non-conservative candidate to win when our loving campaign finance laws still existed (gently caress YOU WILLIAM CLARK I PISS ON YOUR GRAVE), but now that the Koch Bros can do whatever they want, it's a complete fuckshow.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Selachian posted:

Marco Rubio did it last time around, for one.

He was already a senator. It's not uncommon for candidates to run for re-election for their seat and for higher office.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

FoolyCharged posted:

Beto involved obscene amounts of outside money and effort getting put into Texas though?

It also involved people not yet knowing he was a glassy eyed psycho.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Star Man posted:

He was already a senator. It's not uncommon for candidates to run for re-election for their seat and for higher office.

He was free, and told us all how glad he was not to be a Senator anymore. Then he got turned into a speedbump and Turtle made him get back into the race. This was largely because the Republican field was a bunch of goobers.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Star Man posted:

Some states prohibit being on the general or primary ballot for two positions simultaneously, that's basically all that'll stop it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'm not sure where else to post this

https://twitter.com/mags_mclaugh/status/1124679871203028995

I feel like this is super ironic, is it just me or what :shrug:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm not sure where else to post this

https://twitter.com/mags_mclaugh/status/1124679871203028995

You’re not wrong, but also gently caress Uber.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Insanite posted:

You’re not wrong, but also gently caress Uber.

The Scabs Union is pretty peak late-stage capitalism

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The taxi industry is broken and exploitative as hell. The simple fact of competing with taxis isn’t Uber/Lyft drivers’ main problem.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Stickman posted:

The taxi industry is broken and exploitative as hell. The simple fact of competing with taxis isn’t Uber/Lyft drivers’ main problem.

They're not competing. They're short circuiting laws and certs. I'm pretty sure drivers dont count as employees with all the rights and protections therein and I know they don't have any liability for maintaining the car fleet like a cab company does.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FoolyCharged posted:

They're not competing. They're short circuiting laws and certs. I'm pretty sure drivers dont count as employees with all the rights and protections therein and I know they don't have any liability for maintaining the car fleet like a cab company does.

Yep. Uber wants to have it both ways- strong control over drivers like they're employees (scheduling, routes, car requirements, etc) but no obligation to give them things employees must be given by law (minimum wage, insurance, equipment, etc).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

It's just you, don't be a scab, if people are striking, do not cross that picket line if you want to support the striking workers, even if this is a "digital picket line" so to speak the same principle applies.

Why would you think this is super ironic?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Because uber is basically scabs for people in legit transit companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Because uber is basically scabs for people in legit transit companies.

Uhh, no? Uber workers are just people trying to earn a wage, they're not stealing union taxi payers jobs themselves by crossing a picket line to take a taxi driver job away from striking taxi workers.

Blame the Uber company/executives for that poo poo, don't blame people trying to earn money to live on.