Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mechanic guy like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for making my daughter clean the bathrooms with her toothbrush as a punishment?

My daughter Brittany got detention today. Apparently, she and her friends were talking about careers and she said something like “imagine being something like a plumber or a custodian”. They then went on to mock those with those professions and specifically, Brittany said “wow, I would rather be dead then pick up garbage and poo poo all day”. Her classmate overheard them and reported all of them to the teacher because she was offended (her dad works as a plumber).

Her teacher made her apologize to her but to go one step further, I wanted humble her. I made her clean all the bathrooms with a toothbrush (obviously bought her a new one afterwards). It took about 5 hours total and afterwards, we had a talk about respect and how it’s disrespectful to mock any profession, no matter what it is. I thought I’d done a pretty good job at disciplining her, but my wife came home (she works 15 hour shifts 3 days a week, so doesn’t get home until very late Tuesday-Thursday). She was very angry and thought the punishment was way too far. I disagreed; she acted like a brat who believed certain professions were beneath her, and I wanted to humble her.

We normally agree almost 100% regarding punishments, so I didn’t even think to ask her (which she does the same for me whenever she’s disciplining our children). AITA for the way I went about punishing her?

Edit: I appreciate the discussion guys! I just wanted to add that I thought of a toothbrush and not normal cleaning supplies, because that would've taken an hour max, and she already cleans as apart of her daily chores. Telling her to do her normal chores as a punishment doesn't seem like a that big a punishment. Just wanted to put this here because a lot of comments are asking "why a toothbrush?"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for throwing up on my friends floor and blocking him?

so I've been vegetarian for 7 years and I've been pretty happy with my decision. I never felt like anyone disliked me because I went vegetarian.

onto the issue

I had gone over to a friends house and brought some vegetarian sausages, my mate was going to cook them up and we would have a movie night.

I thought my sausages looked odd but had never had this brand before, it was not the most appetizing and it tasted kinda gross but i kept on eating. half an hour later I started to feel Ill so I asked him if he cooked them properly. he started laughing and told me he gave me a meat sausage, I started gagging and ran to the bathroom to throw up, I did not make it and he ended up with throw up on his carpet.

he got mad and told me I would have to pay for his carpet to be replaced. I told him that he needed to apologize for feeding me meat and then I might consider replacing the carpet. he told me the meat sausage thing was a joke.

I grabbed my poo poo and walked out his door, and had to walk home (20 minute walk) because of how sick I felt. i also threw up on my way home.

I've now not gotten an apology just him repeatedly massaging me about his carpet being replaced. so I blocked him.

AITA?

edit

thanks for all of the messages. I feel so much better knowing I did nothing wrong. 😁😁 I might unblock him and try and see if we can part on good terms.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for making my daughter clean the bathrooms with her toothbrush as a punishment?

Not sure if it really achieved the goal they were going for, but I'll applaud the attempt.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Even f you think someone's being a trendy "Oh please no not gluten" baby, never gently caress with their food or their dietary habits.

Never.

gently caress.

With.

Someone's.

Food.

Shame that guy didn't top deck the dude's toilet before he left.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so I've been vegetarian for 7 years and I've been pretty happy with my decision. I never felt like anyone disliked me because I went vegetarian.

onto the issue

I had gone over to a friends house and brought some vegetarian sausages, my mate was going to cook them up and we would have a movie night.

I thought my sausages looked odd but had never had this brand before, it was not the most appetizing and it tasted kinda gross but i kept on eating. half an hour later I started to feel Ill so I asked him if he cooked them properly. he started laughing and told me he gave me a meat sausage, I started gagging and ran to the bathroom to throw up, I did not make it and he ended up with throw up on his carpet.

he got mad and told me I would have to pay for his carpet to be replaced. I told him that he needed to apologize for feeding me meat and then I might consider replacing the carpet. he told me the meat sausage thing was a joke.

I grabbed my poo poo and walked out his door, and had to walk home (20 minute walk) because of how sick I felt. i also threw up on my way home.

I've now not gotten an apology just him repeatedly massaging me about his carpet being replaced. so I blocked him.

AITA?

edit

thanks for all of the messages. I feel so much better knowing I did nothing wrong. 😁😁 I might unblock him and try and see if we can part on good terms.

Your child is willful and unruly and must have her spirit broken before you can instill a proper sense of discipline, work ethic, and esprit de corps.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The guy feeding meat to a vegetarian is inexcusable, but vomiting over the idea of eating meat is extreme. Reminds me of the cheesy potato lady gagging when presented with a vegetable.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

The guy feeding meat to a vegetarian is inexcusable, but vomiting over the idea of eating meat is extreme. Reminds me of the cheesy potato lady gagging when presented with a vegetable.

They started feeling ill before they knew it was meat. I don't know for sure, but I think you can't really go from 100% vegetarian to eating meat in one swoop. It fucks with your stomach to shift the gears like that.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xenocides posted:

Bet business has been slow lately since they shut down the Craigslist personals section some time ago. You can’t live off repeat customers forever.

Even if they can't see the Craigslist ads they can't miss the bathroom graffiti and the skywriters.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She didn’t vomit over the thought of meat; she clearly vomited because her digestive system was upset AND she was disgusted. Also, it is normal to be disgusted when you think you are eating one thing and find out you are eating another. For instance, try feeding someone toothpaste and telling them it’s ice cream (don’t do that). Toothpaste isn’t unpalatable, but it would make plenty of people ill to chomp on a mouthful thinking it was vanilla bean.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Leon Einstein posted:

Dude, your gut flora is different depending on your regular diet. Giving someone meat when they aren't used to eating meat can gently caress with their stomach badly.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

They started feeling ill before they knew it was meat. I don't know for sure, but I think you can't really go from 100% vegetarian to eating meat in one swoop. It fucks with your stomach to shift the gears like that.

Sometimes it does. Seems like it did in this case. I've known some people who did it after years of vegetarianism and it worked out just fine. Honestly I think she should sue him. He's going to sue over the carpet, might as well hit him first.

A few additional notes:
Toothbrush dad - NTA.
Non debate lady* - NTA, also awesome. Big high five.
Bar Society party crasher - Is the rear end in a top hat, guillotine.
Hitler painting destroyer - NTA
Hitler painting brother - rear end in a top hat. Guillotine.
Door lock lady - NTA
Non-door lock inlaws - Draw and quarter.

*Not clear from the story if it's a lady, but generally these devil's advocate dorks are most aggressive with women.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 2, 2019

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

christmas boots posted:

Your child is willful and unruly and must have her spirit broken before you can instill a proper sense of discipline, work ethic, and esprit de corps.

Wow, you're being pretty hard on the vegetarian lady.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Dude, your gut flora is different depending on your regular diet. Giving someone meat when they aren't used to eating meat can gently caress with their stomach badly.

I know, but she said she started gagging and running to puke after finding out it was meat. It's more mental than physical apparently.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Oh look at mr fancypants here and his PHD in food and stomachs

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 2, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Willfrey posted:

Oh look at mr fancypants here and his PHD in food and stomachs

Unfortunately, I got a D in Meats so I never got that doctorate :(

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

I know, but she said she started gagging and running to puke after finding out it was meat. It's more mental than physical apparently.

Sometimes the psychological part tips the scale on an already queasy stomach.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Hagop posted:

So locks work 0% of the time when there is no one around to stop or even see someone taking a spitting ax to your door, throwing a brick through your window, or using a big truck and a chain to rip whatever you thought was keeping your house safe off your house. People in small towns and backwoods like to yuck it up about it being too quiet to lock a door, but the fact is that it just doesn't help a lot of the time. So why have to replace your door and your tv when the local meth head hit your house before being busted by the county sheriff trying to pawn their stolen goods off at a church yard sale.

That said I never met anyone that wouldn't be fine their kids SO from the big city locking the doors if it made them feel better, so gently caress those parents.

The point isn’t that a lock can stop an assault team with breaching charges from stealing your stuff, because that doesn’t happen in real life. The point is that you avoid becoming a target because there is a type of opportunistic criminal that won’t take a fire axe to a random door but will try a bunch of doorknobs in passing. Testing doors is no risk because they can say a friend invited them over and they thought this was the house. The problem is if they see something to steal and get caught taking it, or see a sleeping woman, they may commit more crimes than just theft. Crimes which could have been prevented by locking the drat door in the first place to keep them out, the literal purpose of the door. Do you take the guards off your saw also to make it lighter?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remove the air bags from my car to improve the fuel economy, I really don't need them everyone in my neighborhood drives safely

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Wow you guys saying to guillotine the Hitler drawing brother need to chill the gently caress out. He just needs a cold shower.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

ad090 posted:

AITA for not engaging in debate over every little thing I think or say?

i wanna hear this delightful guy’s FACTUAL criteria for choosing which album is better

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Bronze Fonz posted:

Pro-tip: pay your lawyer with coke if you want to win the case.

I lived in Montreal for 20 years and this might be the most Montrealais post ever

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for making friends with my ex-husband's now second ex-wife (the same one he cheated on me with and subsequently married)? I've also given her a job.

quote:

in 2013 I was a very happy 40 year old stay at home mom, convinced I was married to the perfect man. In 2014 I was a divorced single mom scrambling to figure out how to make ends meet as the "perfect man" was pulling every dirty legal trick available in order to get me to sign the divorce that was happening because he'd been having an affair with his 26 year old rock climbing partner. I held firm on the divorce settlement demands, started my own landscaping business and got very fortunate and became self sufficient. Ex had two kids with his new wife, who I was reluctant to admit were my own kids siblings.

​ Back in mid march my kids and I were at the grocery store when a little girl came running across the parking lot at us. It was their little sister and she is so fortunate she hadn't been run over. We grabbed her up and took her to where she said her mom was parked and ran into the woman who had ruined my marriage. But she looked EXACTLY like I looked when I found out he'd been cheating on me. Distraught, on the verge of tears and a break down. I asked her if she was ok, and I knew she was lying when she said yes. I didn't want to interfere but told her how her 4 year old was loose in a parking lot and gave her my number if she needed anything. Within the hour she had called me and said she was sorry for what she had put me through as he was now leaving her for another woman. I told her that was the distant past at this point and I was worried about both her and her kids. My kids watched her kids that night and we went out for dinner and drinks and realized that we had a lot in common (aside from being screwed over by the same guy).

We have since become good friends and since my ex-husband is literally working out of the same playbook he used on me, I have hooked her up with my divorce attorney, I have coached her on what rope she can give him to hang himself and now since he's been an absolute prick about cutting her and the kids off to barely subsistence "allowance" I have given her a job and helping her out with child care expenses. ​ My ex is apoplectic because I think he thought he was going to run over her in the divorce. He's threatening to "revisit" our child support arrangement because I'm actually making more money than he is now and I told him to bring it on, buy he really wants me to back off helping her. His mom and sister have told my kids that I am "poisoning the well" against their dad and undermining him as a father. They have literally called me an rear end in a top hat to my kids and hers and are clearly trying to paint me as the bad guy in all of this.

​ I get a sick sense of satisfaction knowing that he's going to get screwed in two divorces, but I also genuinely like his soon to be ex wife. Independent of how we came to be friends, she will stay my friend after all is said and done.

​ Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PostNouveau posted:

Unfortunately, I got a D in Meats so I never got that doctorate :(
This is a deep cut Rick Perry reference and I loving love it, just wanted you to know someone got it :shobon:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

ad090 posted:

AITA for making friends with my ex-husband's now second ex-wife (the same one he cheated on me with and subsequently married)? I've also given her a job.

I want to rub this into my skin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ad090 posted:

Ex-husband is just churning out future financial illiterates

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
Dear Reddit, I'm a carpenter from nazareth and I feed the poor and drive out those who defile the temple with money. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Another Bill posted:

I lived in Montreal for 20 years and this might be the most Montrealais post ever

Joke's on you, I learned this in Longueuil. (and I'm 100% serious, at least in my one case)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

Dear Reddit, I'm a carpenter from nazareth and I feed the poor and drive out those who defile the temple with money. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

No, a fig tree which bears no fruit should be cut down.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

ad090 posted:

While this reads as a "tell me how great I am" post, I feel like this lady is rad enough that she deserves some self satisfaction.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ad090 posted:

This right here is the good poo poo. Only way it gets better is if they meet up with shitbird's current squeeze and point out that the dude clearly has a pattern and she's obviously next.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bronze Fonz posted:

Joke's on you, I learned this in Longueuil. (and I'm 100% serious, at least in my one case)

For maximum LOLs, was it to beat a coke possession/deal charge?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

This right here is the good poo poo. Only way it gets better is if they meet up with shitbird's current squeeze and point out that the dude clearly has a pattern and she's obviously next.

Dude sounds well off as hell, doubt that will change his next squeezes opinion.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

therobit posted:

Wow you guys saying to guillotine the Hitler drawing brother need to chill the gently caress out. He just needs a cold shower.

You also need a guillotine.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Carth Dookie posted:

For maximum LOLs, was it to beat a coke possession/deal charge?

You wish. Aggravated assault on an rear end in a top hat that deserved it, but legally I was wrong.
I still can't believe I got out of it. The judge was laughing at every one of his dumb jokes, the guy was a local lawyer superstar.
I'm not sure how he's doing now, though, cocaine is a hell of a drug and all...

edit: "Got out of it" means I was looking at 5 years time max, got out with a meaningless probation that amounted to "hey, don't be stupid again!".
I thanked all the gods I don't believe in and felt like someone handed be a get out of jail free card. In exchange of coke. God bless Canada.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 3, 2019

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Grape posted:

You also need a guillotine.

For making a :gas: joke?

kru
Oct 5, 2003

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

is the temple locked

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This is a deep cut Rick Perry reference and I loving love it, just wanted you to know someone got it :shobon:

How are you posting? I watched you die!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

therobit posted:

For making a :gas: joke?

Any joke not approved by the ministry of humor is an automatic guillotine, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Any joke not approved by the ministry of humor is an automatic guillotine, comrade.

Since you seem to be familiar with these matters, how is the ministry of humor related to the ministry of silly walks?